• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards S5 |OT| What’s said in the family, stays in the family - Netflix 5/30

TTOOLL

Yeah, I officially dropped it, unfortunately. I have no desire to watch the rest, stopped at episode 6 and won't force myself through the rest. A shame, truly a shame.

Man, Trump has really defanged this season.

For one, its hard to believe that it takes so much conniving and thinking to win the presidency when you could do it by just tapping into the racism nerve.

Secondly, its cute that they think
those recordings of Conway and his Veep
would sink a presidential campaign when the current president bragged about sexual assault and STILL got elected.
the thing about that is, Trump's tapes were from several years ago and
Conway's recording was post-during-election
What about ICO?
what about it?

KarmaCow

the thing about that is, Trump's tapes were from several years ago and
Conway's recording was post-during-election

More importantly what
really sunk Conway was that Usher worked against him by convincing the Republicans to not to support him after the tape came out. Not that the fictional Republicans are better since it was still just politics but the most Trump got in response to the Access Hollywood tape was disapproval of the comments instead of the person saying it before they jumped right back on.

Sullichin

Ok this season straight up sucked. I was entertained though.

Some standout bad/laughable moments:
- cathy durant getting pushed down three stairs
- Conway's VR-induced PTSD lmao
- Davis and Usher, why do they trust them. Also neither of them are interesting
- Francis at the stone cutters meeting
- tom yates in general
- My plan all along
- tom yates' death. lol
- "My turn"

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Having fizzled years ago during season 2, I'm not getting the sense catching up is worthwhile.

More importantly what
really sunk Conway was that Usher worked against him by convincing the Republicans to not to support him after the tape came out. Not that the fictional Republicans are better since it was still just politics but the most Trump got in response to the Access Hollywood tape was disapproval of the comments instead of the person saying it before they jumped right back on.
yeah you're right. usher, man. this show and these backstabbing bastards.

i wouldn't be surprised if both usher and davis both look out for #1 next season.

matter of fact, that might as well be everyone fending for themselves. i don't think doug will be loyal anymore either

- tom yates in general
- My plan all along
- tom yates' death. lol
- "My turn"

I agree with everything. In fact the
my turn
scene, they probably hoped to get everyone hyped with that, to me I thought it was corny as all hell that the show is

Holy shit, the third act of this season really turns the Trumpism up to 11.

- tom yates in general
- My plan all along
- tom yates' death. lol
- "My turn"

I actually disagree with all of that.

Conway:
The VR did not give him PTSD.

- tom yates in general
- My plan all along
- tom yates' death. lol
- "My turn"

hahahaha at
cathy durant getting pushed down three stairs
, this confirmed that the writers were just phoning it in.

and the
- My plan all along
, hahaha that 10th Dimensional Chess right here

Season 6 is going to be Dexter levels of blah

phanphare

Banned
Despite the nuanced and well-reasoned argument of this post, you can't deny that season 2 still served a purpose: putting Frank Underwood into the oval office. It's what they did from their that represents a structural problem with the show. It's felt like 3 seasons of a holding pattern: scandal of the week procedural bullshit with no real consequences or impact for the trajectory of the characters or the plot.

every season served a purpose, doesn't make them good

season 2 was awful, the shock value of zoe getting killed was great but the fallout put unworthy characters in the spotlight aka lucas and started a domino effect that produced nothing of worth until last season with hammerschmidt. not to mention the doug and rachel thing was dragged out far too long. and just what I wanted to see more remy and jackie sharp bullshit! basically a lot of the side characters were annoying as hell and got too much screen time.

I thought the Elysium Fields thing was a bit far fetched and stupid but...

Bohemian Grove: Where the rich and powerful go to misbehave (WaPo)

B5K59cf.png

Footage shot by Alex Jones, heh

10 episodes about basically nothing. FFS. The crazy shenanigans and plot lines are too crazy even for Trump world. Show is just Underwood wankery at this point.

Finished it tonight, the central plot barely makes sense. Utter garbage. Doubt I can stomach another season.

Every character in this show is so fucking stupid.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ep 11-12. Kathys
fall. Made me chuckle. Just like Zoe Barnes push in s2. Haven't finished the episode but that didn't look like that rough of a tumble. How would Frances not be implicated.
Lol

RedAssedApe

Banned
not sure what to think of peter parker's dad and the lady from the lonely island video.

guess its one of those keep your friends close your enemies closer type of things?

WillyFive

Considering the stuff that happens in this season and how it made all the right moves for the original endgame, it all felt really low-key and subdued.

Also, they should have left
Claire talking to the final scene of the season; having her talk a few episodes earlier kinda ruined it.

Also, I bet if Trump ever watches this show, he would be kicking himself seeing how successful these two were at doing everything he wanted.

RedAssedApe

Banned
FU on a whole nother playing field. 4-D chess indeed lol

Considering the stuff that happens in this season and how it made all the right moves for the original endgame, it all felt really low-key and subdued.

Also, they should have left
Claire talking to the final scene of the season; having her talk a few episodes earlier kinda ruined it.

Also, I bet if Trump ever watches this show, he would be kicking himself seeing how successful these two were at doing everything he wanted.

We already knew from the end of S4 though no?

WillyFive

I'm excited to see the next season; I've been waiting for
Frank vs Claire since S1.

We already knew from the end of S4 though no?

Claire's sentience was alluded to in the S4 finale; but they spent almost this entire season hyping up and giving a lot of false starts to
Claire actually speaking her mind. That final scene was really well done, but it's impact is diminished by her short monologue a few episodes earlier.

jholmes

I don't know if there was some serious interference in this season or if all the actual writing talent is gone but holy fuck this season was so bad. I really enjoyed seasons 2 and 3 but I was ready to write this off after Season 4. Turns out Season 5 was worse!

Two of the big moments of the season, where the Senate
votes for Claire Underwood
and when Ohio
goes Democrat
happen entirely off-screen, between episodes, probably because there was no way to sell them believably so they just didn't bother. But every single woman Tom Yates talks to, we gotta see that in detail.

- tom yates in general
- My plan all along
- tom yates' death. lol
- "My turn"

This right here, this is the list. The only thing I would add is the personal trainer,
the dude Underwood is banging
, does nothing, accomplishes nothing, just another character who pads out the show, as if there's not enough of that already.

Claire's sentience was alluded to in the S4 finale; but they spent almost this entire season hyping up and giving a lot of false starts to
Claire actually speaking her mind. That final scene was really well done, but it's impact is diminished by her short monologue a few episodes earlier.

This is very true. I also feel like this is some sort of tit-for-tat thing, that whatever Frank gets, Claire gets, but it completely misses the point of the characters. Frank makes us collude with him and we know what he's doing is wrong, but he brings us in and makes it fun. (Note that none of his fourth-wall-breaking moments in this season are fun, except the "To hell with that" line. It's mostly just a lot of monologing about nothing, which fits in with Season 5.) Claire, meanwhile, is unreadable -- we're not supposed to know what she's thinking, so that she would address the audience is really out of character. Utter trash.

EDIT:

Did anyone else feel like they had a smaller budget this season? Felt like there were a lot less location shoots.

That first scene with ICO where you see this closeup of like three dudes protesting and it's supposed to be this Arab Spring moment, that was pretty funny.

Anyway, fuck this show, no interest in Season 6.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Isn't the protester in ep 13
that jumps the fence the trainer?
confused why he jumped the fence...Why was he on the show again? 🤔

Just got to the first scene in episode 12.

Fuck this show and all of the characters in it. It's trash. It's so stupid. When is it going to end?

Edit:
Just got to the scene at dinner in episode 12.

Fuck this show and all of the characters in it. It's trash. It's so stupid. When is it going to end?

Edit 2:
Just got to the scene with Tom in episode 12.

Edit 3:
Just got to the scene with Francis testifying in episode 12.

Nowise10

Surprised so many didn't like this season. I thought it was great and had some great suspense and disbelief moments like prior seasons, specially episode 10/11. Always kept me entertained and interested for the 50 minute episodes.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Surprised so many didn't like this season. I thought it was great and had some great suspense and disbelief moments like prior seasons, specially episode 10/11. Always kept me entertained and interested for the 50 minute episodes.

i was entertained but the show is getting dumber and dumber lol

phanphare

Banned

the show is entertaining but it's also complete garbage

Season was somewhat entertaining but the plot is complete garbage now and 75% of the characters are worthless.

By the far worst moment was ep12:
Kathy's fall

I want to be done with this show at this point. It's not even stupid in a fun way.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think they need to make next season the last. The fuckery can only go on for so long. Although I guess if viewership is still high they'll keep going.

Vamphuntr

I think they need to make next season the last. The fuckery can only go on for so long. Although I guess if viewership is still high they'll keep going.

It was already starting to get old after 2 seasons. The moment he started killing people and was able to get away with it the show lost any kind of impact. American shows tend to drag for way too much.

Davide

Wow you guys are brutal. I'm half way through and except for Tom Yates it's not so bad at all. Although I did accidentally spoil the end for myself and I have to say I am very underwhelmed.

I binge watched the whole series a few months ago so maybe that helps it being not so stale for me. Season 2 was great as well as the first but I've enjoyed them all. It's definitely not complete garbage.

Syf

Banned
This was the first season that made me wonder why I'm still watching. It wasn't fun, tight, or suspenseful; just boring, meandering through the same sort of plot points we've already seen before. I don't care about the show anymore.

NastyBook

Holy shit episode 11

Claire finally talking to the viewer. It just came out of nowhere. I really went "oh shit" haha. Awesome. I was wondering if she was always "there" when Francis did it.
Like at inauguration. Guess she was. But didnt choose to do anything. Really hopes she does it more.
I thought the other episode where Frank
thought she was aware that he was talking to viewer, and gave a response that reflected it. Turns out she was.
That look of shock/concern on his face was classic.

I really enjoyed this season, as I have most seasons (the season where Frank and Claire's marriage was in danger was my least favorite).

It got a little kill-happy in the final episodes, but it's set up a very interesting dynamic in terms of power going forward

finished, i liked some moments of the season

but yeah... this passage in ep 11

pushing durant was the dumbest thing of the entire show.... There was no guarantee she would be knocked out, or even injured, even if there were more steps!

*francis pushing durant*
*durant falling three steps, goes back up, mildly annoyed*
- durant : "The fuck are you doing francis? Did you think you would kill me with that?"
- francis : "eeer... no of course not, i was just trying to help you go down the stairs, but my training with the guy i fuck gave me more strength than i imagined"
- durant : "well... that makes sense, ok i'll lea-AAAAAH "(falling the rest of the stairs)
- francis, facing the viewer : "That was my plan all allong"

Can't decide if this season is better or worse than Season 3. I don't care to rewatch Season 3 or any others for that matter, though.

Season 5 went into full self-parody. Whenever Frank turned to the camera and went back to drink from that "POWAH" well for a monologue, I rolled my eyes. There was a lot of eye-rolling.

Doug's character died for me in Season 3 (beyond redemption), yet each season they try to add some kind of sympathetic angle to him and it's fucking awful. At least Season 5 further exposed him as the vacuous lapdog loser errand boy that he is.

At least
Tom is dead
. My fucking god, what a misread on the show's part to include him so far. Claire's involvement with him actually made me think less of Claire.

phanphare

Banned

pushing durant was the dumbest thing of the entire show.... There was no guarantee she would be knocked out, or even injured, even if there were more steps!

this made me realize that a parody show of house of cards would be absolutely hilarious

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

[/SPOILER]

Lol how hilarious would it have been in the actual show if she got up and dusted herself off, shouting at Frank "Did you just push me?" after which time Frank would spend months trying to slowly convince her that she in fact tripped herself in her clumsiness, before he inevitably loses interest and decided to kill her while she's taking a dump or something.

Mathezar

This season sucked, I feel let down waiting all that time for this, definitely the worst season for me... I can't say there was any redeeming factor or things that I liked.

Vic_Viper

Nice short video of Doug in a bathtub explaining exactly what happened during Season 5. Its worth a watch if you didnt exactly understand what was happening especially in the beginning with regards to the election:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/07/michael-kelly-explains-house-cards-season-5/

Season 5 might not have been the best season, but its still in the top 3 for me. Felt like a return to form for the show since it started to drift into a different direction with Frank as POTUS. The ending alone has me so hyped to see what they do with Season 6.

What could Frank be doing
in the Private Sector that has more power than he expected to have as President? It didnt really seem like he knew what he was going to be doing since he was getting help setting up some sort of nonprofit with that new female character (forgot her name already).

Top Bottom