• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards Season 4 |OT| Anything for America. Netflix March 4th

This season has been unequal quality wise, but overall way better than Season 3 imho.

The whole domestic terrorism with ISIS-wannabes with their botched arabic kind of ticked me off at first, but it was kind of logic they would speak like that as they aren't native and only spoke for two years.

Apart from that, the aside glance from both Frank and Claire (yay) was terribly powerful

daninthemix

At certain points I really got invested in this series, but towards the end when it all became about some small-time terrorist plot I think it nosedived.

danthefan

I legitimately couldn't remember either, so a quick search gave me this, going back to season 2:

Also, it's pretty shitty of Frank that his best partingcompliment to Freddy is a request to cook some ribs lol.

Seems a bit harsh on Frank, for once he wasn't the architect of the problem.

- J - D -

Seems a bit harsh on Frank, for once he wasn't the architect of the problem.

Not saying that Freddy was just in his actions, but all the media attention and invasion into Freddy and his son's lives and the chaos it created is enough for me to at least understand why Freddy might harbor some resentment at Frank. Also, sometimes you can just dislike a guy for minor reasons, but something seemingly benign could set you off.

On the other hand, the way they use Freddy in this season is pretty obviously for nothing more than plot progression. It's one of my problems with how they deal with certain ancillary characters.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Just finished season 4 last night. Enjoyed it a lot, but
I don't think I can handle watching anymore if this is going to go on for more than one more season. I'm ready for these two to get their comeuppance, and obviously extending beyond a season 5 means they're going to get out of the Hammerschmidt article and get elected. I've been watching these evil people destroy everyone around them without repercussion for four years now... their misdeeds (minus the murders) are out in public, it's time to wind this down and complete the story.

Paganmoon

Holy shit this turned into a soap, specially first half of the season. The whole season felt very disjointed, a lot more jumps in time than previous seasons made it much harder to follow. Felt like I had jumped an episode at times.

McAllans actor sounded so much like one of the random VA's in Fallout, I was surprised it wasn't him when I looked it up.

Permanently A

Just finished season 4 last night. Enjoyed it a lot, but
I don't think I can handle watching anymore if this is going to go on for more than one more season. I'm ready for these two to get their comeuppance, and obviously extending beyond a season 5 means they're going to get out of the Hammerschmidt article and get elected. I've been watching these evil people destroy everyone around them without repercussion for four years now... their misdeeds (minus the murders) are out in public, it's time to wind this down and complete the story.

I agree. I enjoyed watching it but I honestly got far more pleasure watching
Tom get closer to the truth
than watching the Underwoods
use reverse psychology for the umpteenth time.

This season felt like the halfway point of a full season. A lot of plot threads were left dangling and I wish we would have gotten to see the
article reaction
at least.

First 2/3'ds of the season was good, last two or three episodes were pretty terrible. All the domestic political intrigue was fantastic and a return to form of season 1, but they just went completely off the rails with redneck ISIS. That was so stupid, immersion breaking, and obviously done to avoid the "all terrorists are brown" racism charges TV/movies face.

Still worth a watch I guess if you enjoyed season 1, much better than the terrible season 3. The small, quiet, private moments between characters was the best. It was kinda interesting to see how much they pulled from reality when it comes to supreme court confirmations, gun show loophole legislation, open convention (coming soon to a republican summer convention near you!), etc but at the same time it makes you realize that reality this year with Trump, Cruz, and Sanders is far more interesting and dramatic than this show's political plot lines.

mujun

I didn't really get into it until about the 4th episode. From there it just took off and gave me what I had wanted from season 3. I was riveted the whole time and enjoyed it thoroughly. Great TV and an amazing turnaround from the shit that was season 3.

Oh wow at that final shot of this season, what a crazy moment. Liked this season better overall than 3, really looking forward to next season.

The idea that America would enter full military combat based on a single murder of a random dude is laughably stupid even for this show, as is the notion that this would prevent additional fallout from how he bungled the negotiations and let their leader release a new propaganda video. Worst yet is that since this is the season finale with three weeks until the election, we are to believe it will work.

Another thing that annoys me is the way they tacitly imply that pundits are infallible in predicting/shaping public opinion. Every time they show their reaction tge implication is to show how well a strategy worked.

Carbonox

Finally got round to burning through this (started yesterday). I actually enjoyed this more than seasons 2 and 3. The ending was fucking fantastic. Robin Wright is my hero.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Started a few weeks ago. Fully caught up. Season 1 & 2 were brilliant but 3 & 4 just feel unfinished.

Shame.

Watched the entire series over the last few weeks.
Despite absolutely loving it, Season 5 will probably be my last.
I can't stand Frank anymore and him freely dancing around every bit of opposition just isn't interesting at this point.

Curufinwe

Not sure what show you were watching. The opposition are closing in so tight that he's down to his last card - a phony war.

I found it interesting that they present Conway as "the asshole" because he manipulates social media and gets annoyed when he doesn't get his way but that's kind of as far as it goes objectively.

You get these negative feelings for him but Underwood has done so much worse but you support him.

cj_iwakura

Massive improvement over 3, but yeah; it's time for this to end.
I half expected Underwood to start a war. Not in a giant robot like I expected, but close enough.

cj_iwakura

Guess I have a different opinion, I think the show is still fantastic and I love where it's heading.

I don't know what he intends
with this 'war'
, but the ramifications of it are kind of terrifying that he'd do all this just to distract from the bad press.

The Hammerschmidt scenes were my favorite. I'm just glad he didn't
murder him in the white house and toss his body onto a table. "Clean THAT up." He had a good plan, but it wasn't enough. At least he was smarter than Lucas, he had all his bases covered.

I think a more interesting conflict would have been
starting a war with Russia rather than not-Isis, but that's just me.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Still making my way through this, but almost done. Disappointed that (do we still need spoiler tags?)
Catherine fell so quickly after Frank's threats. She's one of my favorites.

I legitimately couldn't remember either, so a quick search gave me this, going back to season 2:

Also, it's pretty shitty of Frank that his best parting compliment to Freddy is a request to cook some ribs lol.

Yeah, Frank is a shitty person, but there were only two times in the history of the series that he ever was a dick to Freddy; one of them was an honest dick move, the other was because Frank honestly didn't know shit about Freddy.

I believe that Freddy was in the series to accent that Frank has no real friends. That the only honest relationship he ever had with someone was with a guy that only liked him because he probably was the only thing keeping his business running.

IISANDERII

Just started this season a few days ago and the music has really been taken to another level now. It's obvious during the end credits but during the episodes it's more subtle. I really like it.

Has anybody else noticed this or is it just me?

Watched the first two episodes when this premiered but then dropped em. Just finished watching the rest of the season over the past week. Man, this season was SO much better than the last two. Don't think they'll ever top the first season, but this was at least getting closer. However, I really do want it to end next season. It's time for Frank and Claire to fall. Just let it happen.

Watched the first two episodes when this premiered but then dropped em. Just finished watching the rest of the season over the past week. Man, this season was SO much better than the last two. Don't think they'll ever top the first season, but this was at least getting closer. However, I really do want it to end next season. It's time for Frank and Claire to fall. Just let it happen.

3 more seasons.

I'm serious.

Moff

finished this and I am very surprised most people seemed to love it, there was so much unrealistic and cringe in this. It was entertaining, though, and I liked all the callbacks to season 1 and 2 events.

Donos

Just finished S4 and i liked it. Imo Season 5 has to be about
how the house of cards falls down. Layer for layer. Hammerschmidt has put to much in motion now and while the war might be a distraction it will only put the issues to the side for a bit. It's clear that Conway will be going in hard on the allegations. Doug is close to crack to the widow...just to much shit hitting the fan on the whole Team Underwood to drag this into season 6... i hope. But realisticly S5 finale will probably be the start of the teardown which finishes in S6.

Really, Kevin Spacey. What. A. Role. When he makes his killer stare (like to the CIA guy in the last episode) my balls shrink. Then when he speaks with other people he wants to influence he always has this "helpful uncle" voice/tone. Really great. Whole cast is outstanding. Only Yates guy is leaving me cold (also his plotline). That Petrov guy is also someone i would not want to play serious poker with.

What Netlix, Amazon and HBO have produces in the last years is really something else.

Top Bottom