• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of the Dead Overkill Extended Cut (PS3)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
SalsaShark said:
but Ghost Squad is the best lightgun game ever made!
Ghost Squad was fantastic!

Wasn't there supposed to be a pseudo-sequel or something?

I really thought Wii would bring back the light gun genre at one point. I guess it sort of did, but I'm greedy.

SmithnCo

YES! This was good fun on the Wii. The music especially is amazing.

Now where is HOTD 4? I'd buy that too, maybe on download services.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
PowerSmell said:
What's so jokey about that?
How would you even play a light-gun game on the 360? Unless it was retail packaged with a gun.

SalsaShark said:
Not only that, but i really doubt that was a major concern and fan-request since Move and Kinect werent yet revealed.

Why would anyone take HD graphics over Wii point-light gun-esque controls?

For me simply because most of my Wii games look horrible on my 37' 1080p LCD, and often are 4:3 and look even worse when stretched to fit. Honestly one of the biggest oversights Nintendo made with the Wii was the lack of a mandatory 16:9 presentation for every game (imo).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I guess a better frame rate and fixed up calibration (if they do this) will make it a little better but it's still not one of the better lightgun shooters for Wii. 2 & 3 are better, even. Will they also fix the weird ass rating system that meant the better you did in your first playthroughs the worse off you were later since it counted only how much better than last time you did rather than just give you a set amount of credits or something like that? Although, with that light bulb on the Move controllers, can you calibrate a lightgun game properly for gun shells? Where do the sights rest with a shell to get it 1:1 aiming in the calibration screen then aim normally (ie not through the sights) in gameplay? Cos if there's no 1:1 aiming then there's no point to a gun shell and if there's no gun shell then there's barely any point to playing such a game at all... It's not an FPS where you just want to be comfortable and rest your hands in your lap making slight precise wrist movements, like in say, COD for Wii, it's a lightgun game, there's no fun if it's not arcade style.

Edit: woah @ all the port begging, lol you guys, if you really wanted all those games why didn't you get a Wii all these years?

If they're gonna start porting light gun games, I want them to do all of them I guess.

Ghost Squad, LA Machineguns, the RE games, HOTD 2 and 3...let's go.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
TheBanditKing said:
Where!? I have yet to see it once, though most of the Arcades in my area have closed up.
They used to have one at Gameworks in Schaumburg, IL. It was almost always broken though and they finally just cleared it out.

Dance In My Blood said:
They used to have one at Gameworks in Schaumburg, IL. It was almost always broken though and they finally just cleared it out.

Interesting, I never knew that. Thanks for the info, IL is way too far away anyway.

Codeblue

ScrabbleDude said:
I really, really hope we can stop hearing this shit in this next hardware iteration. It's not "next gen" if it's current. And PS3/Wii/360 are all current gen.

Isn't that stuff technically last gen now that the 3DS is out?

Stumpokapow said:
It says "high definition + 3D support", so I'm not sure if 2D will be 720p or 1080p, but yeah.
what what? what would they use for aiming in 3D? laser sights i hope. that could be cool.

Fuck yes. Now port all rail shooters Sega. A collection would be fine, you know?

Or just put HotD 1-2-3 in as a bonus.

EDIT: oh, almost forgot: online co-op or bust.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
beat the game on Wii. One of the best titles on Wii bar none.

Hesitant on a PS3 release. Resolution bump will be nice (don't remember if the Wii was progressive scan and widescreen or not), but I don't see them redoing any of the textures or models... would really need some decent bonus content to get me to double dip...

or a $30 price point ($40 MSRP with $30 sale would be acceptable)

would NOT double dip on a separate HOTD 2+3 rerelease. however put all three games together and I'd probably be in at $40. or throw overkill together with ghost squad.

edit - that's just as a Wii owner who paid $50 for Overkill.. For you non-Wii owning PS3 owners, this game is a must own. Easily the best gun game released IMHO since Virtua Cop 2.

Tain said:
So wait, what's better between Guncon 3 and Move? I'm assuming Guncon 3, but I haven't used either.
hmm.. guncon uses IR, so lighting shouldn't make a difference. I believe it works the same way as Wiimote. Move obviously uses the camera.. but as a pointing application I've never had a problem with lighting.. only problem with lighting I've ever had has been when using image recognition or recording with the camera.. which shouldn't affect this.

tl'dr not sure which is better, but both should be a bit similar as to how they work.

StevieP

Banned
borghe said:

Hesitant on a PS3 release. Resolution bump will be nice (don't remember if the Wii was progressive scan and widescreen or not), but I don't see them redoing any of the textures or models... would really need some decent bonus content to get me to double dip...

would NOT double dip on a separate HOTD 2+3 rerelease. however put all three games together and I'd probably be in at $40. or throw overkill together with ghost squad.

edit - that's just as a Wii owner who paid $50 for Overkill.. For you non-Wii owning PS3 owners, this game is a must own. Easily the best gun game released IMHO since Virtua Cop 2.

It was 480p widescreen. I played it on a 120" 1080p projection screen. Looked good.

AshMcCool

borghe said:

Hm, the screens for the ps3-version in the OP do look as they have higher resolution textures. Could be wrong, though. At least its gonna have less aliasing I guess.

borghe

StevieP said:
It was 480p widescreen. I played it on a 120" 1080p projection screen. Looked good.
yeah, for a Wii game it actually looked incredible. We beat it in a single sitting/night and was still worth every penny. Just hoping they release some bonus content for it to justify me dropping $120+ for HotD:Overkill :p ($50 for Wii game, $30 for two Nyko Perfect Shots, and whatever price for the PS3 version. Not including Move because it's already been purchased and used for other games)

ScrabbleDude said:
I really, really hope we can stop hearing this shit in this next hardware iteration. It's not "next gen" if it's current. And PS3/Wii/360 are all current gen.

Coming to a next gen system that was released almost 5 years ago! I agree it is silly.

Hiltz

Even for an on-rails shooter, Overkill felt underwhelming and it's short as hell too. The cheesy story, B-movie theme and production values, bad voice acting, and immature dialogue were annoying and remotely amusing at best. The lack of thrills, and exciting setpieces made the gameplay mostly a snoozefest.

Resident Evil: DarkSide Chronicles was a far more enjoyable and longer game.

borghe

Hiltz said:
Even for an on-rails shooter, Overkill felt underwhelming and it's short as hell too. The cheesy story, B-movie theme and production values, bad voice acting, and immature dialogue were annoying and remotely amusing at best. The lack of thrills, and exciting setpieces made the gameplay mostly a snoozefest.
it was a grindhouse-inspired presentation. Had it been anything less than EVERYTHING you mentioned, those of us really looking forward to it's grindhouse setup would have been COMPLETELY disappointed. For what the game was trying to be, it succeeded 100% and beyond.

Resident Evil: DarkSide Chronicles was a far more enjoyable and longer game.
longer? of course. more enjoyable? completely subjective. Slightly better story and more suspenseful setup maybe. but like most of us are saying.. for what overkill set out to be it came through perfectly on. Overkill was never meant to be in the same ballpark as something like RE:DC or even previous HotD games.

StevieP

Banned
borghe said:
yeah, for a Wii game it actually looked incredible. We beat it in a single sitting/night and was still worth every penny. Just hoping they release some bonus content for it to justify me dropping $120+ for HotD:Overkill :p ($50 for Wii game, $30 for two Nyko Perfect Shots, and whatever price for the PS3 version. Not including Move because it's already been purchased and used for other games)

It looked great even at 480p. The lighting was pretty cool, even if the framerate was inconsistent. I wonder how it looks on Dolphin. Seeing as how I've already ripped the disc, and now I have the rig capable to do emulation, I may enjoy a second replay on Dolphin.

TheBanditKing said:
Where!? I have yet to see it once, though most of the Arcades in my area have closed up.

The Trafford Centre outside Manchester has a huge food court with an arcade, that's where I played it a few months ago. Just the stand in front of screen version, not the crazy two screen, hydrolic stool version.

tearsofash

Going to double dip, this game is a blast.

EDIT: I've seen HOTD 4 at plenty of arcades. There was one in Nashville at Opry Mills Dave and Busters until that whole mall got flooded.

Hiltz

Even when the story got really weird, I couldn't crack a smile. The humor just felt so dry and the amount of foul language made my eyes roll.

I do like the arcade series of HTTD along with other lightgun shooters such as Time Crisis, Virtua Cop, CarnEvil, and Ghost Squad.

This is awesome. Everyone buy this.

Kinda sucks that you can't buy a game these days without a later version being releases touting additional content, but that's the way it goes, I guess :/

Tain

Hiltz said:
Even for an on-rails shooter, Overkill felt underwhelming and it's short as hell too.

It was far too long, if anything. AM1 devs spent a ton of time making a dense, exciting, challenging 30ish minute game with each entry to the series. Kuju spent a ton of time making a stretched out, slow, and, by genre standards, fluff-filled game with Overkill.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Welcome to the Move party guys, everything you need right here; plus gun attachment:

51N5oofSpoL._AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/SOCOM-U-S-SEALs-Deployment-Playstation-3/dp/B004PCFF40/ref=zg_bs_14210751_42

Psi said:
So is it worth buying a Move just for this and Dead Space Extraction?
I loved this game, didn't care for DSE though. Too much talking and cutscenes, not enough action for my tastes.

SSJ1Goku said:
Welcome to the Move party guys, everything you need right here; plus gun attachment:

51N5oofSpoL._AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/SOCOM-U-S-SEALs-Deployment-Playstation-3/dp/B004PCFF40/ref=zg_bs_14210751_42
Oof! $140! I guess that's comparable to Kinect but it's a little much for me right now.

TheBanditKing said:
For me simply because most of my Wii games look horrible on my 37' 1080p LCD, and often are 4:3 and look even worse when stretched to fit. Honestly one of the biggest oversights Nintendo made with the Wii was the lack of a mandatory 16:9 presentation for every game (imo).

Out of the 30+ Wii games I own I think maybe only one is only 4:3...not quite sure where you're getting the "often" from.

John Harker said:
This game is great. But I think the 'thing that gets said the most is,' "When is the sequel coming out for Wii?!" vs. 'Please port to Playstation'....
I think port begging to PS3 might make devs think it's better than making a sequel, or prolonging the release of a sequel.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
AbsoluteZero said:
Out of the 30+ Wii games I own I think maybe only one is only 4:3...not quite sure where you're getting the "often" from.
There are probably more than you realize in your stack, sadly.

If your Wii is set to output 16x9, it'll stretch 4x3 games, it's generally not horribly noticeable though.

Top Bottom