• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can Microsoft look at their current upcoming lineup and feel content with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's ok if you don't like them, but downplaying like this the fact that they created online gaming, the best online infrastructure and IPs like Halo and Gears of War is a bit ridiculous.
I'm not downplaying that at all. The xbox 360 had a huge reason to exist. The xbox one does not. They have regressed in every single department when compared to the 360. It truly is sad.

Rymuth

You assume that the Xbox budget is where the playstayion budget

Brands have different significance to either company.
I think they had a bigger budget during Mattrick's era.

Hermorraging money to buy be Gears IP+Scorpio R&D and you gotta have cutbacks somewhere.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
With Scorpio,

it doesnt matter...

I'll play Red Dead Revolver 2 on the most powerful console ...Fuck Nioh, Ni no or whatever it is...

And of course, a new Halo with good campaign and multiplayer will rule them all...

This is why MS refuses to adapt. Their userbase don't want to bring in new players because a lot of those players are ignorant to anything out of their comfort zone.

But i pose to MS that they should just shove that aside and do it for the good of their own growth and success.

That's ok if you don't like them, but downplaying like this the fact that they created online gaming, the best online infrastructure and IPs like Halo and Gears of War is a bit ridiculous.

They popularized online gaming. Dreamcast created online gaming, and networking elements were a thing since SNES/Genesis days.

:D

Ok but, I can say this, Nioh is very boring game. I prefer playing Dark Souls a million times...

You should see the fact that , players prefer the more powerful consoles now...Most of them dont care about games

Look XO and PS4...PS4 did not have good exc for a long time, but sold good...

XO had good exclusives but did not perform well...

Power is everyhing now...

Perfect example of someone expressing an opinion as an absolute fact. There can be no constructive discussion with being pervasive mentality. It's pointless so I will see myself out!

:D

Ok
But, you should see the fact that , players prefer the more powerful consoles now...Most of them dont care about games

Look XO and PS4...PS4 did not have good exc for a long time, but sold good...

XO had good exclusives but did not perform well...

Power is everyhing now...

Most gamers would literally find the graphics indistinguishable between XBO and PS4. Power has very little to do with things, and exclusive games are becoming increasingly irrelevant as well (except Nintendo).

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I want Crackdown 3. Gears 4 was the first exclusive I finished. Not great variety if you don't love Halo and Forza. Most people play 3rd party multiplatform games anyhow.

Bgamer90

Banned
In a discussion about variety the fact that MS has an annualized car franchise that does not sell very well is not particularly persuasive.

What does sales have to do with variety though? It's silly. PS3 didn't do well in U.S. sales early during its gen but that didn't mean that there wasn't any game variety. On top of this, this current gen for gaming would be very boring/dull for car racers if it weren't for Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon.

And I'd put DriveClub's quality up their with the Forza games.

Others wouldn't though, and that's why this discussion is pretty silly. People are stating opinions as facts.

I don't think three 2D indie games come anywhere close to matching the triple A platforming and creation games I named. I didn't even include the Knacks. Besides, it would be quite easy to delve into Sony's 2D indie stable to match those like for like.

Haha, going back and forth between "2D indies" mattering and not mattering. Argue about "lack of new experiences" but yet say that remasters of decade old games are on a higher quality level as new indies simply due to 2D vs. 3D. This is silly.

Right, but you're making the mistake of assuming the math will magically favor Microsoft's output somehow, which would be a mistake.

No -- I didn't say who it would favor because I don't know and neither do you. Well, that is unless quantity overall is more important to you than the quantity of games that actually receive solid feedback.

wapplew

I think MS can remedy this easily with their resources.
Just build/buy more internal studios, if they are willing to pay 2.5B for mojang, I don't see why MS no willing to buy Platinum for 0.5B, or CD project RED.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Just build/buy more internal studios, if they are willing to pay 2.5B for mojang, I don't see why MS no willing to buy Platinum for 0.5B, or CD project RED.
I can't tell what is sarcasm anymore.

Ushay

This is why MS refuses to adapt. Their userbase don't want to bring in new players because a lot of those players are ignorant to anything out of their comfort zone.

But i pose to MS that they should just shove that aside and do it for the good of their own growth and success.

They popularized online gaming. Dreamcast created online gaming, and networking elements were a thing since SNES/Genesis days.

I agree, they need to incubate ideas outside of multiplayer, which I'm confident is their forte. Diversity is ultimately what players are asking for (however much console bullshit its layered under).

That 2.5 Billion number really gets me, they have so much at their disposal. Yet they still have a relatively small array of studios.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I like/support this fresh new business approach. Just buy your way to the top, MS.

ResoRai

Two years ago your Lord and Savior...
Jesus dude lmao.

They've become better at focusing on what's coming up soon (still some outliers tho). Less hype, but I think it's a good thing.

Their 2017 looks pretty damn good, their problem imo is still lacking in bigger releases early in the year.

It really isn't covered on the xb1 at all. I'll go as far as to say, that most of the exclusives on the xb1 aren't worth playing. There are way better games in the genre delivered by 3rd party studios, Nintendo or Sony.

Not talking about just exclusives. I'm saying that every genre that you could possibly want, both Sony and MS deliver that. Whether exclusive or multiplat, they both have it. I don't see your issue.

Exclusives are mostly irrelevant in 2016. They have been for many years. This isn't 1999 anymore. The majority of exclusives don't sell millions of consoles. The "hardcore" gamer is in the minority. The people buying consoles because "teh exclxusiviezzzzzzzz" is a very small number. Part of that is because there are more casuals than ever before, more casual games than ever before, and just more gamers/games in general.

The options/variety that people have to choose from is ridiculous, and hardly something I'd cry about. The average consumer can't afford every AAA game, exclusive or otherwise, so they're forced to choose based on financial situation, family, and friends. Do I buy this exclusive I probably won't even finish, or do I buy GTA and BF both at half price and play with my friends for the next 6 months or more? Those games sell hardware these days. GTA, BF, COD, and other bigger well known third party games.

I think we can look NPD numbers and the success MS has in the US over the last several months and see exclusives don't really matter. People simply want to play good games and the majority of gamers don't even know what an exclusive is. They don't know that you can't play Halo and Fable on PlayStation. Most are ignorant to these facts.

Microsoft announced all of their games are coming to PC, and they've had one of the best years in Xbox history. I think this fact alone speaks volumes.

GLAMr

Why do people keep saying the Xbone is topping PS4, like the rest of the world doesn't exist? Do Americans realise there are other countries in the world? The PS4 almost doubles the Xbox One in global sales each month.

That being said, the Xbox lineup looks perfectly decent to me. Forza alone would be enough to tempt me if I had the time/money. KI, Halo and Gears are also great IMO, plus the multiplat content this gen is stupidly good (MGSV, Tomb Raider, GTAV etc). I personally prefer the PS4 exclusives, but I'd still be happy enough with the Xbone if I had one.

Chobel

Haha, going back and forth between "2D indies" mattering and not mattering. Argue about "lack of new experiences" but yet say that remasters of decade old games aren't on the same quality level as new indies simply due to 2D vs. 3D. This is silly.

I'm not gonna go and downplay 2D games like Brad Grenz is doing right now, but there's a big difference between 3D platformer/collectathon and 2D platformer/metroidvania.

Both consoles have a shit ton of 2D platformers, But 3D platformers? other than ReCore, MS has severe lack of 3D platformers and Ori isn't gonna fill that.

This is a nightmare thread that shouldn't have made it to one page, much less six.

Microsoft's exclusive output has been a wild ride this generation. A few personal 'best of gen' titles (namely Rise of the Tomb Raider and Sunset Overdrive), some major flops, and a handful of really solid updates to their existing franchises (Forza Horizon 3 and Halo 5 are debatably the best-in-genre on either console right now). But I find myself doubting the quality of upcoming exclusives, and generally keeping my expectations low. When they hit, they hit hard. But they certainly haven't broken new ground this generation, while Sony did manage to establish some new names & brands.

Not to mention the indie situation. The way that independent games fled the XBox platform is downright mystifying, and Microsoft hasn't done much to ease the bleeding. It's gotten to the point where I expect indie games to skip the ONE by default. That's a bad look.

It's why Scorpio is going to be an interesting move. Microsoft seems to be willing to make it a big leap forward, and isn't afraid to leave major features unavailable on the ONE. Yet with the ONE S' sales spike this past year, who knows if they'll stick to that gameplan.

Head.spawn

I'm not gonna go and downplay 2D games like Brad Grenz is doing right now, but there's a big difference between 3D platformers/collectathon and 2D platformer/metroidvania.

Both consoles have a shit ton of 2D platformers, But 3D platformers? other than ReCore, MS has severe lack of 3D platformers and Ori isn't gonna fill that.

Does Voodoo Vince count? Because I'm going to go ahead and throw out my Voodoo Vince card just in-case.

Also, Rare Replay certainly brought some 3d platformers to the console.

Then you have others via Backwards Compatibility.

Man, in a month's time I'm gonna miss the good old days, when Obama was president and GAF kept claiming that it was Sony that had no games...

Not talking about just exclusives. I'm saying that every genre that you could possibly want, both Sony and MS deliver that. Whether exclusive or multiplat, they both have it. I don't see your issue.

Exclusives are mostly irrelevant in 2016. They have been for many years. This isn't 1999 anymore. The majority of exclusives don't sell millions of consoles. The "hardcore" gamer is in the minority. The people buying consoles because "teh exclxusiviezzzzzzzz" is a very small number. Part of that is because there are more casuals than ever before, more casual games than ever before, and just more gamers/games in general.

The options/variety that people have to choose from is ridiculous, and hardly something I'd cry about. The average consumer can't afford every AAA game, exclusive or otherwise, so they're forced to choose based on financial situation, family, and friends. Do I buy this exclusive I probably won't even finish, or do I buy GTA and BF both at half price and play with my friends for the next 6 months or more? Those games sell hardware these days. GTA, BF, COD, and other bigger well known third party games.

I think we can look NPD numbers and the success MS has in the US over the last several months and see exclusives don't really matter. People simply want to play good games and the majority of gamers don't even know what an exclusive is. They don't know that you can't play Halo and Fable on PlayStation. Most are ignorant to these facts.

Microsoft announced all of their games are coming to PC, and they've had one of the best years in Xbox history. I think this fact alone speaks volumes.
I certainly don't agree with several statements in this post but I respect your opinion.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Sony did the same, most of their first party were not build from ground up.
Sucker Punch, MM, Guerrilla, ND.
Since they got so much money, why don't they just outright buy Sony and own all their internal studios as well? You know what's better than having a couple of first party studios? Having a fuck ton of first party studios.

MrBenchmark

Laying here watching the last starfighter and reading this thread. I can't get over how crazy some people are and how they have to defend and campaign for one product over the other.

I love games and luckily can afford to game on every platform so I don't have to act a fool like this.

Doesn't this constant warrior crap get old? Competition and choices are good period. Right?

Chobel

Does Voodoo Vince count? Because I'm going to go ahead and throw out my Voodoo Vince card just in-case.

I totally forget about these, and they do count actually. I'm gonna edit my comment about "severe lack".

eastx

In a discussion about variety the fact that MS has an annualized car franchise that does not sell very well is not particularly persuasive. And I'd put DriveClub's quality up their with the Forza games.

Drive Club sells 352,000 worldwide in first week
Forza Horizon 3 sells 382,000 first week worldwide

Man, the Forza series is really tanking. Why does Microsoft even bother to make them any more, amirite?

Also, you can like Drive Club as much as you want, but that doesn't put it at the same quality level as Horizon 3. Not to mention its disastrous online issues at launch - if people are going to keep knocking Master Chief Collection for online problems at launch, might as well point fingers at Drive Club too.

Steam and Japan may not need Xbox....but Xbox needs diversity, and so they should do whatever they can to create that, even if it means staking out on their own and using some of that war chest they have to expand.

Thats very true. I wish Microsoft would do more Japanese outreach and funding this generation. Hate that Earth Defense Force 4.1 and 5 are PlayStation 4-only (which largely inspired me to get a PS4 as my second console).

You can see MS is trying with new IP but it's not working out for them so far.

Yr 1:
Ryse

Yr 2:
Sunset Overdrive

Yr 3:
Quantum Break
Recore

no body buys their new ips so they will have more gears, halo, forza

RIP Sunset Overdrive ; ; one of the gems of this gen

wapplew

Since they got so much money, why don't they just outright buy Sony and own all their internal studios as well? You know what's better than having a couple of first party studios? Having a fuck ton of first party studios.

That's the question.
Since they got so much money, why don't they invest more on internal studio? That speak louder than anything, much better than time exclusive deal or second party funding.
It's really an easy fix for them, lack of variety, build a studio to do that, lack of JRPG, build a studio to do that.
All it take is some chump change for them. I personally would love MS to invest more money into game making business, more job opportunity for game developers.

I'm not gonna go and downplay 2D games like Brad Grenz is doing right now, but there's a big difference between 3D platformer/collectathon and 2D platformer/metroidvania.

I didn't downplay 2D games at all. But I certainly don't think a small number of them constitute an "answer" to Sony's investment in AAA 3D platformers as Bgamer90 tried to claim. After all, PS4 has many, many such titles, in addition to the games I originally named.

Bgamer90 said:
Haha, going back and forth between "2D indies" mattering and not mattering. Argue about "lack of new experiences" but yet say that remasters of decade old games are on a higher quality level as new indies simply due to 2D vs. 3D. This is silly.

Literally none of that happened, but thanks for trying to completely misrepresent my argument in a vain attempt to save face.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
That's the question.
Since they got so much money, why don't they invest more on internal studio? That speak louder than anything, much better than time exclusive deal or second party funding.
It's really an easy fix for them, lack of variety, build a studio to do that, lack of JRPG, build a studio to do that.
All it take is some chump change for them. I personally would love MS to invest more money into game making business.
Because Xbox does not have infinite money like some people believe. Microsoft is not just going to fork over billions to the games division.

NolbertoS

Meh, to me MS only cares about sales, not really gonna moneyhat anything to bring to their fanbase. Thought by now, if you want to play JRPGs, Action games, Sports games, Fighting games, chances are PS4 is for you. If you like shooters, racing games and WRPG's, Xbox One is for you, for Nintendo well its all anout thr party games with Zelda and Mario obviously. I honestly think MS are content to let Scorpio sell good in the US and if more 3rd parties join them great, if not expect some firesales on Scorpio next BF .

According to Bgamer90 they do not count, apparently.

Kazooie

Banned
I have both consoles. Nearly all of Sony's upcoming games don't even have tentative release dates and we won't be seeing most of them until 2018.

Added to the fact that Sony haven't even released a holiday exclusive until the Last Guardian whereas Microsoft have had Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3.

Kaji AF16

But isn't it pretty subjective?

I mean, for me personally, outside Spider-man, Horizon and Last of Us, I don't see anything on PS4 in the future that interests me personally.

On Xbox I've got Crackdown, Scalebound, State of Decay, Forza Horizon 4, Halo 6, plus who knows what else might get announced in the next couple of years. So I don't get how the OP can exclaim this kind of stuff like it's so objective.

Because the fact is, it isn't.

This. But I´m not even interested in those three games you mentioned; I do miss Gran Turismo, though, even if Polyphony seems to have some production / timing issues.
Having Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon, that´s not much of an issue.

From my perspective, Sony has been covered by the massive PS4 sales and the subsequent marketing alliances (Activision/Bungie switching sides, etc.) and hasn´t needed to launch many relevant first-party titles. Even the "failed new IP" trilogy of Ryse, Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break interested me much more than anything Playstation has released in the past three years.

Even Playstation´s alleged crown jewels (Bloodborne, Uncharted, The Last of Us, The Last Guardian) can´t tempt me into getting a second console, which ecosystem I don´t like in the first place. On the other hand, I wouldn´t stand not getting Halo and Forza, or losing my friend list from Xbox. Subjective, yes, but decisive.

mike4001_

As of right now for next year:
Halo Wars 2 (February)
Scalebound
Sea of Thieves
Crackdown
State of Decay 2

You know there will be a new Gears, Halo and Forza also. Who knows what else they are doing.

The thing is many of Sonys annoucements will not come in 2017. But 2018 (or even 2019).

So Sony is probably not THAT far ahead in 2017.

But I get your feeling OP. Sony has MUCH more announced in quantity and variety.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
That's the question.
All it take is some chump change for them. I personally would love MS to invest more money into game making business, more job opportunity for game developers.
But that would mean they'd have to actually invest in the medium itself and not just the potential profits from said medium. Here's hoping...

Halo fucking 6 is coming, and I don't care what the hell people want to say about 'Halo this, Halo that, more Halo, always Halo,' it's going to be fucking crazy to see where 343i takes that series after Halo 5. I loved Halo 5, I've never been more excited about the franchise as I am now, and especially if they manage to get Halo 6 ready in time for the Project Scorpio launch, OH MY GOD THAT WILL BE NUTS!

Next up, Scalebound is an interesting title, and I pray with more time in development and with the talent present at Platinum Games, and especially with Kamiya handling the project it turns out to be every bit as incredible and a one of a kind feeling game experience that one would expect when they hear Kamiya, Platinum games, RPG, open world and a dragon companion. Even if Scalebound disappoints next year, which I seriously hope it doesn't, Halo 6, if it's ready, would be more than enough for me. And there's some absolutely huge 3rd party titles coming.

Do not, I repeat, do not underestimate the power of really damn good third party releases, and when you toss in the project scorpio excitement they could turn out to be a little more important than normal due to the excitement around the new system. We've always had amazing first party titles across any number of systems, but it has never just been about first party releases alone. Third party releases have always been significant, and have always been key factors in rounding out a system's games lineup. None of this should surprise anyone. A new Red Dead Redemption is on the way for goodness sakes. Can you imagine what that shit may run like on Scorpio? And this isn't me suddenly favoring power because we all know power isn't everything, but I'm still damn excited regardless.

daTRUballin

Are you seriously counting Rare Replay? It's a collection of 30 ancient games from previous generations. I mean, sure, I guess you could say these are platformers that you could play on your One, but where are the NEW platformers?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This. But I´m not even interested in those three games you mentioned; I do miss Gran Turismo, though, even if Polyphony seems to have some production / timing issues.
Having Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon, that´s not much of an issue.

From my perspective, Sony has been covered by the massive PS4 sales and the subsequent marketing alliances (Activision/Bungie switching sides, etc.) and hasn´t needed to launch many relevant first-party titles. Even the "failed new IP" trilogy of Ryse, Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break interested me much more than anything Playstation has released in the past three years.

Even Playstation´s alleged crown jewels (Bloodborne, Uncharted, The Last of Us, The Last Guardian) can´t tempt me into getting a second console, which ecosystem I don´t like in the first place. On the other hand, I wouldn´t stand not getting Halo and Forza, or losing my friend list from Xbox. Subjective, yes, but decisive.

The thing at the heart of the problem as i've been saying, is that your mentality is the issue. Your not 'interested' in things outside of your own comfort zone which means MS is not willing to got the extra mile for those things, and thus users who don't feel how you do about the offerings are passing up an Xbox console.

MS need to simply stop using their core fanbase as an excuse for complacency and put some investment into riskier endeavors that may not necessarily play to their strengths or be what they are used to.

They did that to a certain extent early last gen, and for a lot of people that sold them a console.

Head.spawn

Are you seriously counting Rare Replay? It's a collection of 30 ancient games from previous generations. I mean, sure, I guess you could say these are platformers that you could play on your One, but where are the NEW platformers?

Is Crash Bandicoot a new platformer? I mean, that's clearly what my post was in response to. They got that.

The thing at the heart of the problem as i've been saying, is that your mentality is the issue. Your not 'interested' in things outside of your own comfort zone which means MS is not willing to got the extra mile for those things, and thus users who don't feel how you do about the offerings are passing up an Xbox console.

MS need to simply stop using their core fanbase as an excuse for complacency and put some investment into riskier endeavors that may not necessarily play to their strengths or be what they are used to.

They did that to a certain extent early last gen, and for a lot of people that sold them a console.

You can't see it, but I'm agreeing hard as hell right now. Nodding my head and everything.

I feel like they are painting themselves into a corner by structuring their studios the way they are, basically turning them into factories for singular game franchises. They need to shake things up a bit. Not that I haven't been happy playing most of their releases, but I think they could potentially be stifling creativity and maybe accidentally passing up on a lot of golden eggs with their approach.

GHG

Gold Member
You can argue with anybody, there's no special status conferred to me by being a moderator.

I probably misspoke, the ratios I put there are exaggerations for how many of Sony's games disappoint. But it's true for certain years, and a variety of Sony's first or second party heavy hitters have disappointed so far this gen. Some for Microsoft too - Ryse being technically third party but pretty much all MS. Something like Quantum Break getting middling reviews (although I thought it was pretty good myself that's not really the point).

The games I had in mind, which range from moderate disappointments to major turds:

- Killzone: Shadowfall
- Knack
- Driveclub
- Littlebigplanet 3
- The Order 1886 (I'm emphasizing this as being a particularly egregious turd)
- The Tomorrow Children
- No Man's Sky

I'm not disagreeing with you when you say those games have been a disappointment (or were disappointments at launch) but I look at that list of games there and there is something for everyone, there is diversity. There is nothing wrong with B tier games, they add breath and depth to a consoles library. I also look at those games and most of the studios still exist and are making new games or sequels. And that therein lies the difference between Microsoft and Sony for me in terms of their attitudes towards their first party IP's and studios. Microsoft did this well for half a generation (first half of the Xbox 360 generation) and then went back to bean counting.

With Microsoft, the games and studios tend to get one shot to make a success (more often than not purely from a financial standpoint) and if not then they will never be seen again. If Knack can get a sequel why couldn't Kameo (loved that game BTW)? But no, that game wasn't a financial success so let's take that studio, throw away everything they have done with that IP and start from scratch by funding what we think will be the next big cash grab in Kinect shovelware. Killzone was never a roaring success but look at what all those years of experiences and building a studio have got us with what is on the horizon from Guerilla Games (excuse the pun). Hell, just look at the difference from Killzone 1 to Killzone 2 if you want to see what "sticking by" a studio and an IP can result in. I mean why can't games like Alan Wake, Sunset Overdrive, Lost Oddessey and even Kameo get sequels? Why not build and foster something for the long term? That's how you gain a large diverse fan base who are loyal to your hardware.

Sony tend to foster studio and IP growth over the long term regardless of how things go critically and commercially whereas outside of the core of Gears, Forza and Halo Microsoft tend to jump around looking for the next big thing. Hence they would rather throw money Square Enix's way for Tomb Raider timed exclusivity instead of using that money to start building an in house solution. More often than not the next big thing doesn't tend to just land on your lap in this industry, you tend to have to build and foster it. I honestly don't think Microsoft are interested in doing that anymore and it's a bit of a shame considering the talent and IP's they have at their disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom