• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can Microsoft look at their current upcoming lineup and feel content with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgamer90

Banned
What is the point of this discussion then? Any random person can say I like this platform's exclusives better.

Exactly. You made the point yourself.

Sony's have been deemed better by the industry.

Based on...?

And don't say reviews don't matter because we have topic today that shows just how important they are.

Reviews or a blatant overemphasis on review scores?

I don't think I'd agree with that. I don't get that vibe from any of those. Ori is a good game though. From what I've seen of cuphead, it's nothing like any of those in anything besides asthetic and that's even a stretch.

What's the category then? It seemed like it was simply colorful games that stray away from typical AAA.

Wedzi

Banned
Rare IS a British developer lol

Obsidian isn't, that was my point lol. I just don't want Rare making a Fable game either. They have too much good IP they're sitting on. I would rather they tackle Banjo, Conker, Viva Pinata, make another new IP or hell just focus heavily on Sea of Thieves than try to take on a large RPG like Fable would be.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So what do you think they need if not a new device to distance themselves from the shitshow that was XB1 (reveal)

They need to focus on creating more of a globalized product. Build more studios in europe, build more in Japan, open more studios focused on smaller, more niche development and more risky projects.

Start hosting more events outside of the usual suspects everyone else goes to.

Properly demonstrate to people that the Xbox is not just a US focused AAA sports, shooter and racer machine with a few smaller partnerships tacked on.

Ori and the blind forest was a great start, i think games like Cuphead are absolutely on point.

But it can't stop there.

What is the point of this discussion then? Any random person can say I like this platform's exclusives better. Sony's have been deemed better by the industry. And don't say reviews don't matter because we have topic today that shows just how important they are.

I think reviews can play a factor when it comes to sales, but reviews carry no weight in which platform has a better lineup of games. All that shit is subjective. Quality is subjective.

Novocaine

What is the point of this discussion then? Any random person can say I like this platform's exclusives better. Sony's have been deemed better by the industry. And don't say reviews don't matter because we have topic today that shows just how important they are.

Because it's a discussion, there doesn't have to be a winner. In fact there never really is even if people convince themselves otherwise. It's all personal opinion.

daTRUballin

I think Rare could easily handle the Fable series. It's just that I want them to work on their own IPs instead.

As for your last point: Rare has actually lent some of its devs / artists to other MS studios in the past. They assisted Bungie with Halo 3 and Lionhead with Fable The Journey. Not in any major capacity, though.

Yeah, I would have to agree with you on that. I'd rather Rare work on their own IPs instead, but I was just pointing out that giving Fable to Rare probably wouldn't be such a bad idea.

And yeah, I was aware they helped out with other MS games in the past, but I'm surprised they've never actually made a whole game based on an MS franchise before. Nintendo used to let them make games based on their IPs, for example.

watdaeff4

They need to focus on creating more of a globalized product. Build more studios in europe, build more in Japan, open more studios focused on smaller, more niche development and more risky projects.

Properly demonstrate to people that the Xbox is not just a US focused AAA sports, shooter and racer machine with a few smaller partnerships tacked on.

Ori and the blind forest was a great start, i think games like Cuphead are absolutely on point.

But it can't stop there.

I agree with these sentiments. Good constructive opinions and not just fanboy drivel

I agree with the op. As someone who owned multiple 360s, I don't see a reason for the xb1 to exist. As far as I'm concerned, it's been a waste of space. Microsoft keeps churning out the same tired exclusives while being completely risk averse. They really add nothing to industry and their presence would not be missed. Nintendo release exclusives that focus on gameplay first. Their games are challenging yet accessible. Sony seems to be interestep in pushing games with mature themes and discussions. They also offer fantastic variety as well. 3rd parties have the rpg, sports, and racing genres on lockdown.

Each company excels at something and as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft excels at nothing. EA and Activision makes the best fps games. Sony makes the best tps games. Codemasters and co make the best racing games. Mortal combat and street fighter are the best fighting games. Rockstar, CD projekt, ea, and Ubisoft have open world games on lock down. What does Microsoft excel at? How are they pushing the industry forward? The answer is that they are not. They need to step up their game or bow out. Right now, they are just a waste of space.

The God

Idk but their current lineup looks wack as hell

they need something surprising and exciting to show by the time Scorpio rolls around, besides the inevitable Forza 7 and Halo 6

You know almost half the games announced at PSX will be on Xbox right?

Which ones? Other than marvel vs capcom infinite, most big games I saw will be console exclusive to ps4.

The last of us part 2
Ace combat 7
Ni-Oh
Death Stranding
Uncharted DLC
Gran turismo Sport
Parappa the rapper remastered
Crash bandicoot trilogy
Wipeout collection
Knack 2
Gravity rush 2
Nier: Automata

Maybe some of the indies they showed will be on Xbox. Not sure.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I agree with the op. As someone who owned multiple 360s, I don't see a reason for the xb1 to exist. As far as I'm concerned, it's been a waste of space. Microsoft keeps churning out the same tired exclusives while being completely risk averse. They really add nothing to industry and their presence would not be missed. Nintendo release exclusives that focus on gameplay first. Their games are challenging yet accessible. Sony seems to be interestep in pushing games with mature themes and discussions. They also offer fantastic variety as well. 3rd parties have the rpg, sports, and racing genres on lockdown.

Each company excels at something and as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft excels at nothing. EA and Activision makes the best fps games. Sony makes the best tps games. Codemasters and co make the best racing games. Mortal combat and street fighter are the best fighting games. Rockstar, CD projekt, ea, and Ubisoft have open world games on lock down. What does Microsoft excel at? How are they pushing the industry forward? The answer is that they are not. They need to step up their game or bow out. Right now, they are just a waste of space.

At
Microsoft Excel.

im_dany

When you compare Xbox One's upcoming exclusive games with PS4's offerings it's just a complete slaughter in favor of the PS4 no matter how you look at it. Quantity, quality, variety.

All that Xbox players have to look forward right now is a pirate MMO/Destiny clone, yet another survival zombie game, an RTS that fatigues the Halo brand even more, Crackdown that for all we know could be a multiplayer-only game and Scalebound. Yes, there are smaller games like Cuphead, there are some ports like Voodoo Vince and Phantom Dust, but come on, that's nowhere nearly enough to compete.

Am I the only one seeing a big contradiction here? You can't say there's a slaughter in quantity and variety when the weakest X1 year is going to have an "MMO" (which we mostly haven't seen yet), "another" survival zombie (another?), an RTS that "fatigues Halo brand" (last Halo game released more than one year before Halo Wars 2) and Scalebound (a japanese action game I think, haven't followed it much). Plus smaller games.

If that's not quantity and variety I don't know what that is.

You're also judging their quality when one of them is releasing today or tomorrow with a pretty decent metascore (Dead Rising 4 with 76) and every other game is not released yet.

Also... where have you been the first 3 years of PS4?

I was disappointed when Black Tusk was rebranded as The Coalition because it showed that once again MS wanted to play it safe.
Maybe you should tell that to a Gears of War fan. I think a big multiplayer hit like that is expected to get atleast one release in each generation (until it flops hard and people stop playing it).
I'm not a Gears fan so I wouldn't have cared if we got one or not, but I know many that bought an X1 because they were sure they would've played one on it.

Because Microsoft don't care about Japanese games.

Gravity Rush 2
Tales of Berseria
Yakuza 0
Nioh
Berserk and the Band of the Hawk
Horizon: Zero Dawn
MLB The Show 17
Persona 5

Persona 5
NiNoKuni 2
Neir Automata
Guilty Gear series
Digimon Story Cybersleuth
Blazblue series
Odin Sphere Leifthraser
Street Fighter V
Dragon Quest Builders
King of Fighters 14
SNK's awesome NeoGeo ports
Etc etc

Edit: it's actually pretty crazy considering almost all of these would have been multiplat last gen.

It's not that Microsoft is telling those devs "don't make your games for X1". Some of these were funded by Sony or even developed by Sony (SF5, NiOh, MLB, Horizon? even if that's not japanese lol).
Some of those are historically PS exclusives (Yakuza, Persona).

Even when Microsoft bought many different japanese games for the X360, PS3 would still sell more. Now that they stopped caring the situation is much worse and their sales are in the double digits, so why would japanese devs care? People love to make those lists but we all know those games sell a lot less here than in Japan.

Dabi

I mean Microsoft does own the exclusive shooter market...

But yeah I think 2017 on-ward it won't be close. Nintendo hopefully can keep Sony in check cause with no competition we all suffer as gamers.

jbug617

Banned

But it can't stop there.

Who is building studios in a Europe and Japan though? Sony has great support from Japan 3rd parties and Steam has moved into 2nd for those devs to get more sales. Japan developers don't need Xbox to pick up more sales.

Leflus

Yeah, I would have to agree with you on that. I'd rather Rare work on their own IPs instead, but I was just pointing out that giving Fable to Rare probably wouldn't be such a bad idea.

And yeah, I was aware they helped out with other MS games in the past, but I'm surprised they've never actually made a whole game based on an MS franchise before. Nintendo used to let them make games based on their IPs, for example.
I guess it's because MS bought Rare for its Nintendo-esque IPs. Aside from Conker L&R and PDZ, all of their Xbox games so far have been family friendly. Sea of Thieves looks to continue that trend.

Which ones? Other than marvel vs capcom infinite, most big games I saw will be console exclusive to ps4.

The last of us part 2
Ace combat 7
Ni-Oh
Death Stranding
Uncharted DLC
Gran turismo Sport
Parappa the rapper remastered
Crash bandicoot trilogy
Wipeout collection
Knack 2
Gravity rush 2
Nier: Automata

Maybe some of the indies they showed will be on Xbox. Not sure.
Is Crash confirmed to be exclusive? It's an Activision game so I'd be surprised if it was

Chobel

Sales > quality/critical reception? I find it funny how this goes back and forth based on whatever works with the argument.

I would say games like Ori, FRU, and Cuphead fit in the same category/vibe.

But it's math based on what you know now and not what will actually happen in the future. We don't know what will get delayed, we don't know what games will end up dissappointing, and we don't know what will get announced in 2017 that will release during the same year. This is silly.

Not even close. 2D vs 3D.

Sanpei

With Scorpio,

it doesnt matter...

I'll play Red Dead Revolver 2 on the most powerful console ...Fuck Nioh, Ni no or whatever it is...

And of course, a new Halo with good campaign and multiplayer will rule them all...

Skeeter49

What? What timed exclusive do they have in the pipeline?

Think he meant Rise and DR4, which we don't know is coming to PS4, just that it's timed for a year.

I'd assume Microsoft will have one next year, but that's just an assumption, they work great as a "and it's out in 4 months" reveal, because it's not up to Microsoft to do all the marketing, and unlike Rise, DR4 was handled a lot better, and is probably benefiting them more than Rise did.

Sales > quality/critical reception? I find it funny how this goes back and forth based on whatever works with the argument.

In a discussion about variety the fact that MS has an annualized car franchise that does not sell very well is not particularly persuasive. And I'd put DriveClub's quality up their with the Forza games.

I would say games like Ori, FRU, and Cuphead fit in the same category/vibe.

I don't think three 2D indie games come anywhere close to matching the triple A platforming and creation games I named. I didn't even include the Knacks. Besides, it would be quite easy to delve into Sony's 2D indie stable to match those like for like.

But it's math based on what you know now and not what will actually happen in the future. We don't know what will get delayed, we don't know what games will end up dissappointing, and we don't know what will get announced in 2017 that will release during the same year. This is silly.

Right, but you're making the mistake of assuming the math will magically favor Microsoft's output somehow, which would be a mistake.

daTRUballin

Obsidian isn't, that was my point lol. I just don't want Rare making a Fable game either. They have too much good IP they're sitting on. I would rather they tackle Banjo, Conker, Viva Pinata, make another new IP or hell just focus heavily on Sea of Thieves than try to take on a large RPG like Fable would be.

Ahhh, okay. I see what you were saying lol

Yeah, I agree about that. Rare should definitely focus on their own IPs instead. They have so many neglected IPs that it would be a bummer if their attention was focused on Fable instead.

At
Microsoft Excel.

8/10

Side Spencer said that we have gotten

Halo 5
Rare Replay
Gears Ultimate
Scream ride
State of decay year 1
Kalimba
Quantum Break
Recore
Gears 4
FORZA horizon 2
Ori and the blind forest
Happy Wars
Happy Dungeons

With on the horizon

Sea of Thieves
Crackdown 3 (it does have a single player mode)
Scale bound
Halo Wars (do people get made at Mario golf)
Phantom Dust remaster
Voodoo Vince remaster
State of decay 2
Gigantic
Fable Fortune

Could be alot worse Op.

Gigantic was cancelled, afaik

"I owned a number of 360's but Microsoft excel at nothing"

Every genre outside of maybe moba and mmo's(at least in a big way)is covered on both PS and XB. Why can you not see a reason for it to exist? Millions of gamers obviously enjoy it and find it to be a worthwhile product. That's a pretty bold statement with nothing to go on but "Microsoft just shouldn't exist in the console space. Rockstar, EA, and Sony got shit on lock, dawg"

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
With Scorpio,

it doesnt matter...

I play Red Dead Revolver 2 on the most powerful console...Fuck Nioh, Ni no or whatever it is...

And of course, a new Halo with good campaign and multiplayer will rule them all...

This is like a post straight from 2009, just remove the 2.

Glorious.

nynt9

I'm explaining how Microsoft handles reveals/why they're doing what they're doing.

I think they do it better because it's way more hones. They're usually showing actual gameplay, not CGI, and they tend to be VERY clear about where the game is going; Sony's been ACTIVELY making confusing messaging about whether games will come to PC or not. They have bad CG trailers. They pay for exclusivity on stuff like demos, which is really frustrating, especially combined with obfuscated messaging. They take credit for games that aren't theirs (FF, Shenmue, etc).

Like, I'm frustrated and disappointed with Microsoft for so many reasons. I would love to have a nice big rant on how Microsoft, as a first party, can address and solve a lot of the problems that they're facing right now. But when people act like somehow Sony is better thanks to subpar games and dishonest reveals, it frustraaaaates me so much.

Both of those games are going to be available on Steam.

I mean, up until Play Anywhere, Microsoft were way more confusing about where their games would be playable. I'm pretty sure there was at least one game where they actually said it was exclusive but it turned out to be timed console exclusive or something like that. I'm sure you can pull up the threads if you have the fortitude to search for it. Also Tomb Raider's exclusivity deal which had to be ironed out with a back and forth between (I think) Eurogamer and Spencer where they finally admitted the game wasn't actually exclusive after like 3 articles.

Also, don't talk to me about dishonest/CGI reveals like Microsoft haven't shat the bed with Phantom Dust. You know how that reveal was a shitshow made without the knowledge of the devs, who then got canned.

Or Halo 5's CGI trailers that pitted Chief against Locke in ways that never came to pass in the game.

Or the 40% smaller stuff? Or the "the best-selling console" ads? Come on.

No, Rare never made a better game than Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise, in their entire existence. Including Conker.

Ok.

Yuuuup. I mean, I love Kojima and all, but it's just CG exploited for marketing right now. They're not telling us anything about the games or anything. It's just "hey, Sony, we're associated with greatness, buy our stuff!"

This is a corporation that averages the lowest metascore of the first parties, what, every single year? Their games just aren't that great, for the most part. They've always relied on third party studios do push neat stuff for them. Like how the PS2 was basically the GTA/FF/DMC machine back in the day. They push out cliche narratives with Naughty Dog, bad shooters with Guerilla, and Gran Turismo's a sluggish mess that never bothered to catch up with Forza.

Metascore is truly a measure for greatness. By the way, how many >90 games do Microsoft have this gen compared to Sony, since you care so much about MC?

Oh, by the way, since you think MC score is an objective measure of quality and Viva Pinata TIP is Rare's best game:

fveog1K.png

De_Legend

Banned
With Scorpio,

it doesnt matter...

I'll play Red Dead Revolver 2 on the most powerful console ...Fuck Nioh, Ni no or whatever it is...

Joke post pleasee

You're also judging their quality when one of them is releasing today or tomorrow with a pretty decent metascore (Dead Rising 4 with 76) and every other game is not released yet.

Also... where have you been the first 3 years of PS4?

Maybe you should tell that to a Gears of War fan. I think a big multiplayer hit like that is expected to get atleast one release in each generation (until it flops hard and people stop playing it).
I'm not a Gears fan so I wouldn't have cared if we got one or not, but I know many that bought an X1 because they were sure they would've played one on it.

I wasn't advocating against Gears being made or MS buying the IP, they were just so many other ways to do it.

Why not contract a developers and let Black Tusk work on their new IP if they wanted to get it out as soon as possible?

Why not build a new studio specifically around Gears alongside Black Tusk?

Why not hiring to create a second team at Black Tusk while letting Shangheist being made.

I don't know if those were viable business options for them and they might have not but they seem better to me.

HotHamBoy

With Scorpio,

it doesnt matter...

This reads like satire.

Is this satire?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Who is building studios in a Europe and Japan though? Sony has great support from Japan 3rd parties and Steam has moved into 2nd for those devs to get more sales. Japan developers don't need Xbox to pick up more sales.

Steam and Japan may not need Xbox....but Xbox needs diversity, and so they should do whatever they can to create that, even if it means staking out on their own and using some of that war chest they have to expand.

Azzanadra

Its a shame because I really do want to pick up the S, a damn sexy peice of hardware and some of the deals I have seen on it are insane. Unfortunately it would honestly be a vanity purchase because I play multiplats on the PC and the exclusives I would play on the One are available on the PC anyways.

If I did get one, it would be for all the Halo games because I never owned any iterations of the XBOX, making it an exclusive Halo machine.

im_dany

That's ok if you don't like them, but downplaying like this the fact that they created (edit: console) online gaming, the best online infrastructure and IPs like Halo and Gears of War is a bit ridiculous.

Chobel

But it can't stop there.

The bold they actually do, MS just don't host press conferences at these events, so the events go unnoticed by media and the internet.

That's ok if you don't like them, but downplaying like this the fact that they created online gaming, the best online infrastructure and IPs like Halo and Gears of War is a bit ridiculous.

I don't think you meant to word this like that. I hope lol

You can argue with anybody, there's no special status conferred to me by being a moderator.

I probably misspoke, the ratios I put there are exaggerations for how many of Sony's games disappoint. But it's true for certain years, and a variety of Sony's first or second party heavy hitters have disappointed so far this gen. Some for Microsoft too - Ryse being technically third party but pretty much all MS. Something like Quantum Break getting middling reviews (although I thought it was pretty good myself that's not really the point).

The games I had in mind, which range from moderate disappointments to major turds:

- Killzone: Shadowfall
- Knack
- Driveclub
- Littlebigplanet 3
- The Order 1886 (I'm emphasizing this as being a particularly egregious turd)
- The Tomorrow Children
- No Man's Sky

It's not too hard to counter this with some big Microsoft blunders this generation:

- Ryse
- Project Spark (already dead right?)
- LocoCycle
- Crimson Dragon
- Recore
- The Master Chief Collection debacle
- ScreamRide
- Kinect

I do think the Sony flops are bigger and were more hyped than anything on the Microsoft list (except Master Chief) but that's a decent number of misses considering Microsoft publishes about a dozen games each year.

"I owned a number of 360's but Microsoft excel at nothing"

Every genre outside of maybe moba and mmo's(at least in a big way)is covered on both PS and XB. Why can you not see a reason for it to exist? Millions of gamers obviously enjoy it and find it to be a worthwhile product. That's a pretty bold statement with nothing to go on but "Microsoft just shouldn't exist in the console space. Rockstar, EA, and Sony got shit on lock, dawg"
It really isn't covered on the xb1 at all. I'll go as far as to say, that most of the exclusives on the xb1 aren't worth playing. There are way better games in the genre delivered by 3rd party studios, Nintendo or Sony.

daTRUballin

I guess it's because MS bought Rare for its Nintendo-esque IPs. Aside from Conker L&R and PDZ, all of their Xbox games so far have been family friendly. Sea of Thieves looks to continue that trend.

Which I think is kind of a shame. Rare wasn't just known for their family friendly IPs back in the day. They were also known for stuff like PD, KI, Conker, Goldeneye, etc. There's nothing wrong with family friendly games, but I think it's kind of sad that throughout their whole relationship with MS, they've only made family friendly games and almost nothing else. I wish they would make something like Perfect Dark or Conker again sometime in the future. I feel like this is the reason why we haven't seen any "adult" oriented games from Rare since PDZ. It would be interesting to see Rare tackle something more "darker" than usual for them again. :p

Because it's a discussion, there doesn't have to be a winner. In fact there never really is even if people convince themselves otherwise. It's all personal opinion.

Fair enough, but the way people present their opinions is in a factual way though ie Microsoft has had the better first party games this generation. To me that phrasing is not that of an opinion and after seeing it repeated as fact so mant times I need to look for the best way to compare the their output and aggegrate review scores is best measurement I can think of.

I show no pretense that I believe Sony's output is vastly superior to Microsoft's,but that is based more on the type of games I enjoy than the quality of the titles. But hey maybe that's my hang up in failing to properly interpret what people are trying to convey in these increasingly tedious duscussions.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
That's ok if you don't like them, but downplaying like this the fact that they created online gaming, the best online infrastructure and IPs like Halo and Gears of War is a bit ridiculous.
Thank you generous MS overlords for creating online gaming with the best online infrastructure.

Sanpei

Joke post pleasee

:D

Ok
But, you should see the fact that , players prefer the more powerful consoles now...Most of them dont care about games

Look XO and PS4...PS4 did not have good exc for a long time, but sold good...

XO had good exclusives but did not perform well...

Power is everyhing now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom