• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony and Microsoft publish their first party GAAS games on each others consoles?

Should Sony and Microsoft publish their first party GAAS games on each other's consoles?

• Yeah, makes sense

Votes: 48 63.2%
  • No, they need to be exclusive

Votes: 28 36.8%

• Total voters
So when we see aquisitions by Sony and Microsoft, they tend to keep the multiplayer games multiplat, whereas the single player games remain exclusive.
That makes sense to me, as no one is going to jump ship for a multiplayer game, and if a GAAS game is going to succeed, it needs the biggest audience it can get.
We saw MS keep Fallout 76, ESO etc on the Playstation, and the word is that the new Zenimax online GAAS game will be on PlayStation as well.
We saw with Sony that Bungie is keeping Destiny on Xbox, and the new Bungie game, a GAAS game, is also going to be on Xbox.

So if we all agree that it makes sense for them to do this, why does it not make sense for them to put all their GAAS games on each other's consoles? I understand ones attaches to single player IPs like TLOU etc, but others?
Why wouldn't Microsoft put Sea of Theives and Grounded on PS?
Why wouldn't Sony put all their upcoming GAAS games on Xbox?

sainraja

I would say yes. It makes sense to me to keep single player games locked to your platform but GaaS they should put them on as many platforms as they can. I think I even suggested this a while back in a thread.

Sea of thieves should 100 percent be on Playstation but as it was probably their one big hit as far as new IP go of the last gen we won't see it happen. The cross over livery would be awesome though. Imagine a rachet and clank ship set. So cool.

Barakov

Gold Member
So when we see aquisitions by Sony and Microsoft, they tend to keep the multiplayer games multiplat, whereas the single player games remain exclusive.
That makes sense to me, as no one is going to jump ship for a multiplayer game, and if a GAAS game is going to succeed, it needs the biggest audience it can get.
We saw MS keep Fallout 76, ESO etc on the Playstation, and the word is that the new Zenimax online GAAS game will be on PlayStation as well.
We saw with Sony that Bungie is keeping Destiny on Xbox, and the new Bungie game, a GAAS game, is also going to be on Xbox.

So if we all agree that it makes sense for them to do this, why does it not make sense for them to put all their GAAS games on each other's consoles? I understand ones attaches to single player IPs like TLOU etc, but others?
Nah. At this point, I want them to show everyone how petty they can be.

but thinking about....I don't think it makes sense anymore (after ABK acquisition).

The console market is going to get even more brutal and aggressive with exclusives of all kindz

Eotheod

but thinking about....I don't think it makes sense anymore (after ABK acquisition).

The console market is going to get even more brutal and aggressive with exclusives of all kindz
But GAAS live or die by their playerbase activity, so why would you choose to not include everyone? Even if it's only an extra 2k people buying your game or launching it to play, that's still 2k more people then you had before. It's almost like an unwritten rule to release on all platforms possible.

Obviously there are special cases like Genshin Impact, but in that scenario I wonder if their playerbase is majority mobile/PC. Outside of those unique situations, a potential increase in playerbase to allow longetivity seems like a no brainer.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yes depending on the IP.

Bungie games should continue coming to Xbox. I can understand why Sony wouldn’t want Horizon online/Factions associated with Xbox. All of their other online games should go to Xbox though.

For Xbox, Sea of Thieves and Halo should be on PlayStation and Switch if possible.

Shame that they won’t play the game.

There are wide variety of GAAS titles from first party.

Nintendo has Splatoon, Mario Kart, which I doubt they would wanna share.

MS has Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon which again they wouldn't wanna share.

Sony has GT7, again iconic ip they wouldn't wanna share.

Other new IPS, like Sea of Thieves and Helldivers 2, those types of games should go multi-platform for sure.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
How MS hasnt seen the goldmine they have with Sea of Thieves on Switch and Playstation is beyond me.

Id love for more people to experience this game.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
How MS hasnt seen the goldmine they have with Sea of Thieves on Switch and Playstation is beyond me.

Id love for more people to experience this game.

Doubt so, I don’t think many Playstation owners want to play this game.

Sony probably benefits from exclusivity more since the player base they lose with ignoring MS isn't super huge, while allowing PC is not necessarily competing with their own platform as much. It manifests their leader situation in that space.
MS on the other hand probably would earn quite a bit more if they do multiplatform beside PC, but that would be weird to do if their long term strategy is to not always sell third most consoles each gen.
Both could port games to Switch since that isn't something that is actually competing with their plattforms.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am only saying No because that means they will be less successful and GaaS games will be less attractive to publishers.

Roxkis_ii

I would say no. Microsoft is trying to grow game pass, and can't do that on releasing games on playstation. Sony is trying to sell consoles, and releasing games on Xbox doesn't accomplish that.

I would say both releasing on PC could be an option, but I think pc does compete with consoles to an extent.

Three

If it's actually real people saying no and not because they hate GaaS then I don't know what to say. Why wouldn't you want the option to play wherever you like?

If you're looking at it from the perspective of what's best for the company then it's arguable whether it is beneficial or not. I suspect that when you're charging people to subscribe to your service over a competitor in addition to getting that f2p-like mtx money, it isn't.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Doubt so, I don’t think many Playstation owners want to play this game.
Theres some 130 million PS4s and PS5s and 10 billion Switches out there
You dont think MS are losing a bunch of customers on those platforms?

Either you vastly underestimate Sea of Thieves or are greatly under appreciating the gumption of Playstation and Switch owners.

I don't like the wording of the options, personally. "No, they need to be exclusive" in particular. I was going to vote "No", but I don't think they need to be exclusive. I think it's their right to only develop for their platform if that's what they want to do. I would prefer they developed them for the competition's console as well, so if any of them are actually good then we can choose where to play them, but its not a case of "this needs to be exclusive or I will ragequit"

Robb

Gold Member
Isn’t this the same thing people have been saying about exclusives since forever? Just with increased sales substituted for ‘increased amount of users’.

I don’t think it makes much sense for them to put their games on their competitors platform if they intend to draw people into their ecosystem.

If GamePass and PS+ suddenly start to be available on Playstation/Xbox I can see it happen, otherwise I don’t think so.

Eotheod

Isn’t this the same thing people have been saying about exclusives since forever? Just with increased sales substituted for ‘increased amount of users’.

I don’t think it makes much sense for them to put their games on their competitors platform if they intend to draw people into their ecosystem.

If GamePass and PS+ suddenly start to be available on Playstation/Xbox I can see it happen, otherwise I don’t think so.
GaaS titles operate differently to a traditional singleplayer or even multiplayer game, in that they rely on an active userbase. If there is no active userbase because the numbers just are not there, then the game dies. Content aside, your playerbase is what makes or breaks a game like these, and Sony being top dog doesn't stop that from happening.

Robb

Gold Member
GaaS titles operate differently to a traditional singleplayer or even multiplayer game, in that they rely on an active userbase. If there is no active userbase because the numbers just are not there, then the game dies. Content aside, your playerbase is what makes or breaks a game like these, and Sony being top dog doesn't stop that from happening.
I agree, but if you’re already putting the game on your own platform and PC and aren’t gaining enough users putting it on your competitors platform hardly seems like a solution to me. That’s a problem with the game not being attractive enough for whatever reason.

What I imagine you want as a manufacturer/publisher is a GAAS title that becomes popular and draw people into your specific ecosystem and then keeps them there.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Bungie games and MLB is already on xbox.
Yeah.

Obviously these are some unique cases, like where exactly does Bungie fit at Sony. And while Sony still makes MLB The Show, they would keep it exclusive if they could.

They didn't have to keep making the game but still.

No. I understand the purpose behind it, but I feel the games should be exclusive to make the consoles more attractive. The competing consoles are already way too close to each other feature and software-wise and that would make them even closer to each other.

DaGwaphics

There really isn't much point in doing that. 1 Console platform + PC is enough.

In the case of something like SoT why does MS want to put that on PS when that is a game associated with the Xbox brand that could be selling GP Core memberships for them on console at minimum (and maybe providing value in GPU as well)?

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
GaaS is a risky market, so it makes sense to publish the game for as many platforms as possible. I don’t think Sony can handle a series of unsuccessful GaaS attempts by making them exclusive… so I’d that in a first moment all Sony GaaS will be released on Xbox and PC whereas MS can afford to be selective with that regard.

But GAAS live or die by their playerbase activity, so why would you choose to not include everyone? Even if it's only an extra 2k people buying your game or launching it to play, that's still 2k more people then you had before. It's almost like an unwritten rule to release on all platforms possible.

Obviously there are special cases like Genshin Impact, but in that scenario I wonder if their playerbase is majority mobile/PC. Outside of those unique situations, a potential increase in playerbase to allow longetivity seems like a no brainer.
yes. but we are talking about Play Station VS Xbox.

they are direct competitors fighting for established market size (in the console space).

if you loose or gain a market share is not just someone buying a console but all the purchases they make in the store...they are building a library and friends, which makes it more difficult to fully embrace another "ecosystem".

I think competing consoles are out of the questions thanks to PC.

Top Bottom