• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can the Dualshock 4 battery life be THIS bad?

Flappy

Banned
DS4's battery could be better, but it sure is hell of a lot better than the AAs that come with the XBO controller.

Erm, are you sure?

I recently got an XBO after having a PS4, and those AA batteries are still going after nearly a week of gaming...... DS4 got me through one session on a full charge.

davitpr

It should be longer but I've never had an issue. Unless you don't do anything than play games I see this being a problem. I can get easily 5 hours out of my DS4 but it is very rare for me to have a 5+ hour session of gaming. If someone games for 5+ hours a day then they should really consider getting a second controller anyway and then this won't be an issue.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Nyko PowerPak time?

KageMaru

Yeah it's so bad that it's become a running joke with my friends and I. Sure you can get around 5-6 hours or so but it's so bad compared to the DS3 that it's shocking.

Wagram

The controller died ultra fast for me when it had normal brightness but when I dimmed it the battery seemed to last significantly longer. I went several hours of gameplay on the last bar of charge.

davitpr

Touch pad
Light
Speaker

All these things drain battery. The solution is to have two controllers and hot swap them as needed. A USB extension cable from the PS4 to where you sit helps.

I don't think any of those drain hours of battery though. The battery is just small but I guess Sony didn't see a problem because who plays for more than 6 hours a day? I guess very few people.

SystemUser

Quality control needs to be better. At this point it's clear many have problems but I have two launch controllers that have some minor wear and tear but nothing compared to most people and I apparently get double the battery life of most.

I don't think I have ever gotten 8 hours out of a single charge in a single session. I find that rumble makes my battery life vary the most. I get about 5-6 hours if the game barely rumbles. With Destiny I think usually get less then 5 hours due to how often the game rumbles.

davitpr

I get about 8 hours or so with the light dimmed all the way and I use headphones so the speaker never does anything. Also worth noting, I usually get over an hour of play after the low battery message comes up.

Same here. I will time it next time I play and see how much I really get.

funkypie

Banned
i'm waiting until they release a new and improved version until i buy another. until then I don't mind just charging it while i play.

joecanada

I haven't timed it but I get around 6-7 hours, give or take.

this. Unless you are playing something with tons of rumble or your led bar on bright it's easy to get a days worth out of it.

2nd controller. It's always been a must even since the days of plug ins, seriously why would you only have one? all sorts of crap happens to them. I used to love going to friends houses and then going to play a game "i only have one controller" Seriously?

Neiteio

I always play with a USB charger plugged in, so battery is not an issue

What -does- sucks, though, is that freaking light. I have a Post-It taped over it with black marker scrawled across it to block out the light.

Such a ghetto solution, but it's necessary to keep it off my glossy TV.

Xelios092

DS4's battery could be better, but it sure is hell of a lot better than the AAs that come with the XBO controller (the competition, to put things in perspective).

Not to mention the $25 fee for getting a rechargeable battery and $25 fee for the privilege to use my headphones on the XBO.

...what? The XB1 came with a pair of Duracell AAs. I've been playing for days now and it's going strong.

And you can order rechargeable eneloop AAs on amazon for 18 bucks with the charger. And they'll last for days too.

I agree with the headset adapter being pretty dumb though.

SeanTSC

Nice, how much improvement do these batteries offer? I'll have to check see if they do them in the UK.

Edit: Free shipping to the UK? Nice. Hope that includes import tax. Is that website safe? Never heard of it before.

Yeah it's safe. And as for improvements, well they're 2000mAh batteries vs the 1000mAh stock batteries. I've almost never had them actually run out when playing something, just when marathoning DA:Inquisition all day/night.

Personally believe sony could do better. Evolution 1 ps4 controllers in my opinion were ddesigned to shine for ps4 camera action. Completion for xboxone unknown potential. Now we know cameras etc are future tech... The dualshock light is there for no reason. Who knows for sure..... My thoughts.... Why have a light.

Toski

DS4's battery could be better, but it sure is hell of a lot better than the AAs that come with the XBO controller (the competition, to put things in perspective).

Not to mention the $25 fee for getting a rechargeable battery and $25 fee for the privilege to use my headphones on the XBO.

The Duracell AAs that come with the X1 controller last a lot longer than than the DS4 battery. You'll get a week+ (depending on how much you play) with the X1 controller vs a day and a half with the DS4. You must of got some shitty batteries with your X1 controller.

Alex

...what? The XB1 came with a pair of Duracell AAs. I've been playing for days now and it's going strong.

And you can order rechargeable eneloop AAs on amazon for 18 bucks with the charger. And they'll last for days too.

Always heard great things about Eneloop but personally I've always just used a cheapy energizer wall plug kit that was maybe 10 dollars and came with 4 batteries. It was bought largely to fuel universal remotes and my Xbox 360 controller for my PC. Batteries in it last at least 40++ hours, probably longer, never really timed it but it has seen very, very heavy usage.

Mr Moose

Yeah it's safe. And as for improvements, well they're 2000mAh batteries vs the 1000mAh stock batteries. I've almost never had them actually run out when playing something, just when marathoning DA:Inquisition all day/night.

Sweet, thanks :) I'll be able to play from my bed without a big USB cable with those.

SystemUser

Yeah, the adapter seems over prices at $25, but it does give you volume and mute buttons. I don't own a dedicated gaming headset for XB1 or PS4. With the PS4 if want to quickly mute my microphone them I have to pull the headphone jack from the controller. That means I also loose game sound and I can't hear my team mates. With the XB1 I can go to the bathroom, or the the fridge without my microphone making a bunch of noise. I guess if I had a dedicated PS4/XB1 headset this would be less of an issue.

Even though above I state I think it is over priced I actually think the added functionality is worth it for me considering the lifetime of the console and that I will like only buy one of the headsets ever.

Eh, I just bought a 10 foot charging cord and called it a day. Not trying to downplay, as I agree the battery life is shitty no doubt. It just doesn't cost that much to find a workaround, so I can't get too mad.

I wanna see these DS4 that last 6-8 hours of actual gameplay. My DS will drain almost all the way by the end of a movie on Netflix. It's pretty much a wired controller for me.

Neiteio

I wanna see these DS4 that last 6-8 hours of actual gameplay. My DS will drain almost all the way by the end of a movie on Netflix. It's pretty much a wired controller for me.
The fact it shines a light that can be seen from space but that we can't turn off on consoles (but can on PC) might have something to do with the power consumption

Arion

I remember when my Nokia phone battery lasted an entire month without recharging, back when battery life meant something.

And ya the DS4 is has a really low build quality. Get a longer usb wire so you can just keep it plugged in always.

I get about 6 hours of battery life on my DS4s which is more than enough for me. I have two so whenever I'm using one, the other is charging.

statham

Always heard great things about Eneloop but personally I've always just used a cheapy energizer wall plug kit that was maybe 10 dollars and came with 4 batteries. It was bought largely to fuel universal remotes and my Xbox 360 controller for my PC. Batteries in it last at least 40++ hours, probably longer, never really timed it but it has seen very, very heavy usage.

I use both eneloops and some cheapy 'Tenergy' from Amazon and even the cheap ones go on for 4 days, the eneloops last another day or so.

It's totally unacceptable and people seem to be fine with it. it also feels cheap. I have 4 controllers and having a docking station with only 2 slots is a pain in the ass.

When I got LBP3 and the Move Pack was made compatible I thought "sweet, I can just get the PS4 camera and use the controller light since I don't have a Move anymore" - nope... tf is this thing even for?

system11

Mine lasts 8-9 hours but the LED and rumble motors have been removed and I rarely use voice chat.

I feel very strongly that Sony should stick with a built in battery pack because while a small number of people will use rechargeable AAs when given the option, the majority won't. Literally millions and millions of dead batteries in landfill.

Geg

Yeah I just got a PS4 earlier this month and was kind of amazed at how bad the battery life on that thing is. It's honestly on par with the Wii U gamepad

Xelios092

I considered those energizers, but I think it was about half the rated milliamp hours of the eneloops. I figured for an extra 8 bucks it might be worth it. Plus the charger with the eneloops allows single battery charging rather than pairs, so that comes in handy too for me. Should last a really long time in the XB1 controller.

Yeah, the adapter seems over prices at $25, but it does give you volume and mute buttons. I don't own a dedicated gaming headset for XB1 or PS4. With the PS4 if want to quickly mute my microphone them I have to pull the headphone jack from the controller. That means I also loose game sound and I can't hear my team mates. With the XB1 I can go to the bathroom, or the the fridge without my microphone making a bunch of noise. I guess if I had a dedicated PS4/XB1 headset this would be less of an issue.

Even though above I state I think it is over priced I actually think the added functionality is worth it for me considering the lifetime of the console and that I will like only buy one of the headsets ever.

Totally agree. The features are nice, but I'd pay maybe 15 for it. I do love the mute button though, it's a useful touch.

Guerrilla

I dont understand why anyone would prefer charging your controller every night and often playing wired to just switching out your rechargables every 9-10 days. Additionally if you think the ps4 controllers battery life is bad now, wait another year when the built in (most stupid thing ever, sucks with smartphones as well) battery can barely hold a 50% charge.

Serious question: have the people who prefer the built in approach ever tried the 360 or xb1 pad for a prolonged period with rechargables? It just honest to god baffles me how you could want it any other way

It was a bigger issue when my PS4 was sitting ten feet away.

Now that I've got it sitting a foot away it's no problem at all.

But I don't think I've unplugged the controller since.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
4 hours? What the hell. How are the Xbox One and WiiU for comparison? My 360 last weeks with an single AA battery

Wii U doesn't last very long either. Maybe 4-5 hours.

XB1 is really solid though, 30+ with the eneloops I have. I heard the Wii U Pro is also great in that regard.

red720

LEDs don't consume much battery, it has to be the touchpad.

I assume it is wireless bandwith to stream all the game audio. TBH being able to plug headphones into the controller is a feature worth the short battery life to me. It's long enough for a couple of sessions, and I just plug it in with the PS4 in rest mode when I'm done. If I forget I just move closer to the TV and plug in.

But yeah, it is a crappy battery, not being replacable sucks too. Batteries eventually die, my old play and charge kit on my 360 lasted about 10minutes by the end of the 360s life.

The battery in the DS4 isn't the best, but it's no big deal. I just charge it while I game with a super cheap 3M charge cable I bought for like £3-4.

I dont understand why anyone would prefer charging your controller every night and often playing wired to just switching out your rechargables every 9-10 days. Additionally if you think the ps4 controllers battery life is bad now, wait another year when the built in (most stupid thing ever, sucks with smartphones as well) battery can barely hold a 50% charge.

Serious question: have the people who prefer the built in approach ever tried the 360 or xb1 pad for a prolonged period with rechargables? It just honest to god baffles me how you could want it any other way

I have a 360 controller on my PC w/rechargables. It's annoying because if I forget to charge my extra set of AAs and the ones in the controller die, then I'm left with a completely dead controller that I can't use.

At least my DS4 if I forget to charge it, I can play with it plugged in.

Mine lasts 8-9 hours but the LED and rumble motors have been removed and I rarely use voice chat.

I didn't know that you could do this. I was told that cutting the LED wire will result in the touch-pad not working.

I'd definitely be interested in doing this. Is there a YT guide you used or something?

I actually agree even in the choice of words "pathetic" for the battery life. In my mind I just tell myself that Sony wanted they weight to be perfect and this is all the battery the could build into it without losing that or costs to make the controller exploding. 399$ was a must for them, but now? Why not offer a premium controller with better battery life while keeping the weight. I'm sure there is a market for that even if it's expensive.

Biker19

Banned
You know why the battery life inside the Dualshock 4 controller is awful?

Because Sony uses a 1000 mAh Lithium-ion battery inside of it!

Guerrilla

I have a 360 controller on my PC w/rechargables. It's annoying because if I forget to charge my extra set of AAs and the ones in the controller die, then I'm left with a completely dead controller that I can't use.

At least my DS4 if I forget to charge it, I can play with it plugged in.

But the xbox 360 and xb1 controllers also work plugged in without any batteries whatsoever. So how is that an upside for the ds4? I get that the proprietary cable for the x360 controller sucks but the xb1 controller also just uses regular microusb. Please explain

To be honest, all of the controllers battery life seem shit compared to the Wii U pro pads amazing built-in battery. 72 hours of straight play before needing to be charged again. It's ridiculously great.

But the xbox 360 and xb1 controllers also work plugged in without any batteries whatsoever. So how is that an upside for the ds4? I get that the proprietary cable for the x360 controller sucks but the one also just uses microusb. Please explain

I don't have the cable for the 360 controller then, I guess. I didn't know that was an option.

I guess I just find it more convenient to plug in my controller each night and pick it back up in the morning than worry about swapping out batteries with a separate charger.

Not saying your preference is invalid, this is just what I prefer.

Top Bottom