• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can the Dualshock 4 battery life be THIS bad?

I dont understand why anyone would prefer charging your controller every night and often playing wired to just switching out your rechargables every 9-10 days. Additionally if you think the ps4 controllers battery life is bad now, wait another year when the built in (most stupid thing ever, sucks with smartphones as well) battery can barely hold a 50% charge.

Serious question: have the people who prefer the built in approach ever tried the 360 or xb1 pad for a prolonged period with rechargables? It just honest to god baffles me how you could want it any other way

Yeah, because constantly swapping batteries in and out of chargers is so much easier and more cost efficient then buying a 10 foot usb cable for 5 dollars and being done with it.

Guerrilla

Yeah, because constantly swapping batteries in and out of chargers is so much easier and more cost efficient then buying a 10 foot usb cable for 5 dollars and being done with it.

Wat? Constantly? So you are seriously saying that plugging your controller in every day is more comfortable than switching out batteries every 9-10 days?

And im talking about rechargables,how is that not cost effective? You know that the charge for the built in battery of the ds4 also needs to come from somewhere, right? How is it more expensive if the same charge is applied outside of the controller? Pleas explain, i seriously dont get it...

Wat? Constantly? So you are seriously saying that plugging your controller in every day is more comfortable than switching out batteries every 9-10 days?

And im talking about rechargables,how is that not cost effective?

Yes. Every night I plug my controller in, it takes 1 second to do. I'd rather do that than swap out batteries.

Why can't we both be right?

There must be something wrong with mine if people are getting 6-7 hours out of it. I'd be happy with that but even when mine was new I would get no more than 4 hours. I usually get 3-4 before I get the message to plug it back in.

I'm definitely going to call Sony and see if they can't replace it before my warranty is up this March.

I have other issues with it as well. I have energy saver set to 10 minutes, when it's plugged in it will sometimes turn off, when it's not plugged in it will never turn off. Also, when it does turn off while plugged in, it won't turn back on unless I unplug it first! lol

And im talking about rechargables,how is that not cost effective?

Its the difference of grabbing the wire by your feet and continuing your gaming. Or changing fucking batteries and buying expensive packs.

Did you set the DS4 light to "Dim" from the PS4 settings? Because both my DS4 last for at least 6hs before needing to be recharged.

Maybe I need to look into this. Thanks.

I game quite a ways away from my PS4 due to the size of the screen. I would prefer not to be tethered to the PS4 with a wire. I do have two controllers and charge one while playing with the other, I'm just stunned that I have to charge either so much. It's as much of a bona fide "chore" as I've ever experienced with console gaming.

Oppo

I've always thought the Bluetooth radio is the culprit. it doesn't make sense for the LED to be a big draw. when you plug in headphones the handoff is instant. if they don't improve the battery they should offer an add on that uses AAs.

Kathian

Banned
Battery VS Charging debate is stupid whilst the Pro Controller exists.
Clearly easy to achieve; and just its reliability and long charge makes it the best wirelesss controller I've ever used.

Really adds to a seamless experience. With my PC all wired in I feel jumping to a PS4/One would be quite a frustrating experience; and a spare controller is £40.

Touch pad
Light
Speaker

All these things drain battery. The solution is to have two controllers and hot swap them as needed. A USB extension cable from the PS4 to where you sit helps.

Don't forget the audio jack , that shit drains it faster.

I bought a second controller and a charge station never looked back.

Also yuck with people wanting replaceable batteries such an archaic pain in the ass

Guerrilla

Its the difference of grabbing the wire by your feet and continuing your gaming. Or changing fucking batteries and buying expensive packs.

You can still do the wire thing with the xb1 controller + one pack of 4 decent rechargables will cost you like 6-7 bucks. And those will last longer than the built in ds4 battery,which when done forces you to buy a whole new controller which i would guess is a bit less cost effective wouldnt you say?

virtualS

Doesn't affect me too much personally. I get 5 hours + out of mine with plenty of warning when it needs charging. Suppose if I was into gaming marathons I'd spend $2 on a long USB cable.

Its bad, but its hard for me to get too mad about it because it charges pretty quickly.

Yeah I'm always shocked how fast it charges. Sometimes it dies and I plug it in and swap to my 2nd controller, only to have a buddy show up like 45 mins later. I give him the one that died and it's already almost fully charged again.

Koh

I get 8 hours consistently on both of my controllers. Even when it's an 8 hour gaming session. I have the light set to dim and that's it. The only exception so far is with dragon age, that game had near constant rumble.

The one thing i notice when watching netflix the controllers will not automatically turn off unless on a flat surface. Must be the gyro keeping it on. Perhaps you are losing hours and not noticing it like this?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Setting the light to dim seems to help. I get a fair bit out of mine. Not as long as the DS3, 360 or the God tier WiiU Pro, but enough for long sessions.

I also think Sony doesn't realize that more than a few people are annoyed. And it's hard to vote with your wallet on this one.
If mobile USB charge-packs designed as a well-fit DS4 attachment became a thing, maybe then they'd do something.

Guerrilla

I also have no idea why you'd rather go through the hassle of charging/swapping AA batteries instead of plugging in your controller.

Sorry, Im a bit confrontational tonight, that comment got me goin ;) since i have all 3 consoles and play them all quite a lot, im quite frustrated that i have to plug in my wireless controllers so often. Though the problem is much more prominent for me with the wiiu pad it still bothers me when i forgot to plug in the ds4 (only got one) and have to play wired, and i always have to look for the stupid cable since waifu immediately puts everything that touches the floor into a random mystery drawer ;)

You can still do the wire thing with the xb1 controller + one pack of 4 decent rechargables will cost you like 6-7 bucks. And those will last longer than the built in ds4 battery,which when done forces you to buy a whole new controller which i would guess is a bit less cost effective wouldnt you say?

Well I found a usb cable on the street so it was free. Check mate *rolls eyes*

Xbox users have Stockholm syndrome. I swear.

vypek

I have my light set on dim. I never really bothered to time how long I get but its certainly beyond 3-4 hours. Also, any place I sit where I game isn't too far from an outlet so I can easily charge my controller while I play.

MAX PAYMENT

The DS4 is kind of a shit controller all around.

Horrid battery life and the rubber joysticks fall apart.

It was though someone passionately designed it, then some suit decided that it be made from the cheapest parts possible.

It's a shame because it's the first PS I find comfortable to use.

Sorry, Im a bit confrontational tonight, that comment got me goin ;) since i have all 3 consoles and play them all quite a lot, im quite frustrated that i have to plug in my wireless controllers so often. Though the problem is much more prominent for me with the wiiu pad it still bothers me when i forgot to plug in the ds4 (only got one) and have to play wired, and i always have to look for the stupid cable since waifu immediately puts everything that touches the floor into a random mystery drawer ;)

Ah that's fair. Again it might just be a personal preference. I live alone and have a nice long USB cord that's always plugged into my PS4, so all I have to do before bed each night is walk up to it and plug in.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Currently, we have a lengthy micro USB cable from monoprice going from a phone charger behind the couch to the DS4. Endless battery.

Just bought those Deal Extreme batteries though. Great price!

The DS4 is kind of a shit controller all around.

Horrid battery life and the rubber joysticks fall apart.

It was though someone passionately designed it, then some suit decided that it be made from the cheapest parts possible.

It's a shame because it's the first PS I find comfortable to use.

Do what I did and replace the stock sticks with X1 sticks. It becomes pretty much the perfect controller (apart from the battery life, lol). All I need to do now is replace the stock battery and it will be perfect.

16160729078_9fbdfe1759_o.jpg

Maybesew

I've forgotten about this issue because I've physically changed my gaming lifestyle due to this problem. Two controllers and a charging cradle. I never run out during a session anymore.

That said, I appreciate the reminder of just how embarrassingly bad the battery life is.

Yeah, it's 1800mAh. The battery inside Dualshock 4 is 1000mAh.

Do you have a source for this? Or is the 1800mAh just the capacity of a replacement battery with better battery life?!!
If so, there are 2000mAh replacements for the DS4 around, which I don't trust. I have a history with bad notebook battery replacements.

dont buy those chinese ebay batteries claiming more mah they are labelled to sell to saps, but in general offer same or less capacity than stock.

unless the battery has more volume, it wont offer more capacity.

Maybesew

Would this help? I assume the difference in durations was due to consumption not capacity. Is the ds3 a higher capacity battery?

I tried swapping the battery out for a bigger battery that I got off eBay. I wound up breaking the R2 trigger. The internal springs are pretty fragile.

Guerrilla

Well I found a usb cable on the street so it was free. Check mate *rolls eyes*

Xbox users have Stockholm syndrome. I swear.

I dont understand anything you are saying here. How would the free usb cable change anything about the Argument that i think rechargables are more practical and having to buy a new controller when the battery dies sucks?

And let me try to get that stockholm syndrom thing. So xbox users are being held hostage by their horrible rechargables and therefore start to develope affection for them?

NAPK1NS

Yeah, GTA lays waste to the battery. Issues the speaker for phone calls, RWB for police sirens and radio with touch pad.

EatMyFace

Banned
How long do you play? I've never had an issue with battery life. I also got a second controller recently so maybe that's something you should look into.

Biker19

Banned
Do you have a source for this? Or is the 1800mAh just the capacity of a replacement battery with better battery life?!!
If so, there are 2000mAh replacements for the DS4 around, which I don't trust. I have a history with bad notebook battery replacements.

My bad, the battery inside Dualshock 3 is 570 mAh, it's just that you can find a new & improved battery for it, like 1800 mAh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DualShock#DualShock_3

I myself had even ordered a 1800 mAh battery for the Dualshock 3 controller not too long ago, & it definitely works with Dualshock 4.

Airgetlam

The battery life is worse than the DualShock 3 but it still can last a day of moderate playing. I really like that you can charge it with any android or windows phone charger. Just plug it in before you go to sleep and you'll have a full days worth of charge.

I dont understand anything you are saying here. How would the free usb cable change anything about the Argument that i think rechargables are more practical and having to buy a new controller when the battery dies sucks?

And let me try to get that stockholm syndrom thing. So xbox users are being held hostage by their horrible rechargables and therefore start to develope affection for them?

Yep. Since last gen pretty much. There were tons of threads claiming the superiority of batteries, with proclamations of piles of ds3's in landfills because the internal batteries were going to die any day.

Never happened. I did have to buy 2 play and charge kits for my 360 though. But yeah go on.

Synth

"My Dualshock 4 battery can't possibly be this bad!"

It sucks compared to the PS3 and Xbox controllers but I can still get pretty close to a full day out of it. Just grab a cheap USB extension for like 2-3 bucks and plug it in when it dies, or rotate with a 2nd controller.

I also have no idea why you'd rather go through the hassle of charging/swapping AA batteries instead of plugging in your controller.

You can't comprehend how anyone would rather spend 30 seconds swapping out batteries once a week or so, rather than turning their wireless controller into a wired controller for an extended period... or even switching to a whole new controller?

That's kinda amazing

I have mine set to the speaker off and LED at the lowest dim and I still only get about 5 and a half hours out of it. I used to get 5 with those things on, before the update to dim the LED.

It's like a god damn handhelds battery life....
It's. Just. A. Controller.

What the hell, Sony?

I know I'm VLTTP on this but I've done more gaming on my PS4 recently and have just now realized just how damn pathetic the Dualshock 4 battery life is. I would take swapping and charging AA batteries any day over this abomination that Sony produced. I hope they make the Dualshock 4+ or something, because I just can't see myself constantly charging controllers this much for he rest of the gen. It doesn't help that the Sony-made charging station for Dualshock 4's is quite literally the Move charging station reboxed with some additional adapters. As great as the ps4 is they really half assed the controllers.
Sony got the lucky brake since the Wii U got all the flak for itself in this department. Yet it has a ton of stuff in the Gamepad and the DS4 one is marginally better.

It's hilarious hearing people suggest to just plug in the DS4 while playing, when that is suggested for the Gamepad's case is some sort of practical nightmare XD

Guerrilla

Yep. Since last gen pretty much. There were tons of threads claiming the superiority of batteries, with proclamations of piles of ds3's in landfills because the internal batteries were going to die any day.

Never happened. I did have to buy 2 play and charge kits for my 360 though. But yeah go on.

Oh this is a ps vs xbox debate for you? Its an exchangable vs built in batteries discussion for me, hence me also talking about smart phones and wiiu. The rechargable pack for xb360 sucked major ass and was pretty much dead after 2 years, but my ps3 controller also only held its charge for like 1,5 hours at the end, despite it being used much less. Difference was, 360 controller let me switch to regular rechargables. But yeah go on warrior (see how dickish it sounds when you are being condescending?)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Personally believe sony could do better. Evolution 1 ps4 controllers in my opinion were ddesigned to shine for ps4 camera action. Completion for xboxone unknown potential. Now we know cameras etc are future tech... The dualshock light is there for no reason. Who knows for sure..... My thoughts.... Why have a light.

I think one or two of the camera games makes use of the light for recognition purposes. Camera recognition is the only reason the LED strips are so large. Other games try to use them, but that requires the player to take their eyes off of the screen which is counterproductive.

Oh this is a ps vs xbox debate for you? Its an exchangable vs built in batteries discussion for me, hence me also talking about smart phones and wiiu. The rechargable pack for xb360 sucked major ass and was pretty much dead after 2 years, but my ps3 controller also only held its charge for like 1,5 hours at the end, despite it being used much less. Difference was, 360 controller let me switch to regular rechargables. But yeah go on warrior (see how dickish it sounds when you are being condescending?)

Petty fucked up post dude. This was a decent thread until the warrior posters (ahem) showed up.

I learned a few things, we were talking about tips to swap controllers easily/quickly and extended batteries to swap.....Now? Well looks like you got your way.

Top Bottom