• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come Toy Story 1 (1995) still looks better than most games these days?

Jesus, not this shit again.

image-placeholder-title.png

I've seen better looking pixelated indie games than Toy Story 1.

Puscifer

We have video games doing real time path tracing like Alan Wake 2 and CP2077 and titles like Metro Enhanced with just full RTGI, shadows, etc are doing more in real time than entire rendering farms for stuff like Cars did at one point in time.

They're different mediums and this comparison will forever be apples and oranges.

This thread title reminds me of the videogame magazine articles talking hyperbole about this amazing new console coming called Xbox that would be able to render “Toy Story-like” 3D graphics and I remember being skeptical at the time but definitely intrigued to see more. In 2024 still waiting 😆

No, j/k I think with the PS5/Series X generation we are now past that point of outdoing older 3D computer animated movies. But it definitely didn’t happen on OG Xbox or even 360.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I hope the next Toy Story is subtitled Uncanny Story, and it looks SO GOOD you wonder if they really HAVEN'T brought toys to life.

ReyBrujo

Easy, pre-rendered graphics versus real time calculations. However I will say graphics now still look waaaay too similar to ToyStory, women with brilliant perfectly plastic skin and men without a single drop of sweat.

bender

What time is it?
OP is a bot trying to copy a successful thread from 20 years ago. At least that's my bet.

No. He was a notorious troll on the IGN boards during the PS2/Xbox/Cube era. He's a little dumb, a little funny, and because board policy let you rack up 30+ bans before being considered for a permanent removal, he was a staple of the community.

Dr_Ifto

Toy story 1 was re rendered in 2009ish. Most people like OP only know that version. Still not as good as most indie games today though.

CamHostage

Maybe Toy Story 1 looked so good because DR3AM watched on VHS on a CRT?

It's sad that we have left freaking glass screens behind, even if they're heavy as shit...

If you are talking about geometry: Toy Story rendered NURBS while games render either polygons or voxels. So surfaces will probably always look smoother when using NURBS.

If you are talking about lighting: no.

Vick

toy-story-disneyscreek3uhc.jpg

JQVNPzs.png

toy_story_4k_46.png

x9phK2asoz3kU5wHJDUJv6.jpg

Previous gen game on previous gen hardware.

Current gen games rendering 60 frames every second on a console:

robocop_roguecity_2021nilp.png

robocop_roguecity_2020kc6o.png

robocop_roguecity_202u7efe.png

robocop_roguecity_202fceew.png

robocop_roguecity_202owd42.png

robocop_roguecity_202b7cvj.png

robocop_roguecity_20237ihj.png

robocop_roguecity_202blckq.png

robocop_roguecity_202fufjp.png

Even the Toy Story segment in Kingdom Hearts III looks better than the first movie did on VHS.
OP said he was watching it on VHS though.
Shit, missed that, then he is just wrong.
VHS version is actually sourced from the 35mm print, which looks far more organic and realistic than the re-render of 2009. Resolution aside not much different than the LaserDisc:

Last edited:
Top Bottom