• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come Toy Story 1 (1995) still looks better than most games these days?

In terms of details and lighting techniques it has been surpassed, however since it's an offline render and uses nurbs/splines instead of triangles, it basically has infinite resolution (kinda like vectors), so there are no visible edges (jaggies) anywhere; games still can't replicate this, though tech like nanite allows to get close.

It had no raytracing, also no need for super sampling (msaa didn't exist) when working with nurbs surfaces.
Is there a retail game with micropolygons? So far there’s been Robocop, and Epic Games even released a demo on the PC but neither had that kind of quality in the geometry.

I went back to look at Toy Story and some of those scenes still have better shadowing than a retail game, and I mean a lot better.

SJRB

Gold Member
Buy a better graphics card so you don’t have to run your games on low settings you fucking doofus.

Is there a retail game with micropolygons? So far there’s been Robocop, and Epic Games even released a demo on the PC but neither had that kind of quality in the geometry.

I went back to look at Toy Story and some of those scenes still have better shadowing than a retail game, and I mean a lot better.
There's also fortnite, but you're right, you can get close with nanite in principle, but in practice it's still not going to look as smooth as toy story.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I just watched Toy Story 1 on VHS and the gfx look soooo good.

There only a couple of games like Crysis 1 and the UE5 Matrix demo that can compete visually.
Thank a resolution of 1536x922 and Scanline rendering for that.

Also you are doing an obvious troll thread but back in the 90s this would be a banbait and now its a joke thread. Times change, haha.

Scanline rendering. (Not raytracing)

yurinka

I watched this on disney plus tonight, but now I Noticed the girls have been altered just a tad From the original. It came out before Toy Story.

Knick Knack?

ps4-knack.gif

There's also fortnite, but you're right, you can get close with nanite in principle, but in practice it's still not going to look as smooth as toy story.
It's one of those technologies I been waiting for a while. Games for me personally would be more enjoyable to play when that tech is available.

Scanline rendering. (Not raytracing)
Someone told me this years ago as well. Even then, when you look at Buzz's helmet reflecting with curvature it's still really impressive.

Top Bottom