• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come Toy Story 1 (1995) still looks better than most games these days?

cormack12

Gold Member
It still has better IQ but that's the difference in rendering real time with PP and offline. But everything else has been surpassed.

Zheph

Youre Stupid Love And Hip Hop GIF by VH1

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Was you high on the VHS, what did you do smoke it, or smelt it down and fucking inject it ? I want some of that shit if it makes that junk look good.

Probably animations are better in Toy Story than modern games. That's part of graphics. It also has better music and story than 99% of games, and these things are entangled in the whole issue.

Toy Story 1 has aged badly from a visual standpoint but was obviously groundbreaking at the time. Textures in particular look very low Res and animations are a stiff.

Toy Story 3 and 4 however look absolutely amazing and have incredibly good lighting. That first scene with the toy buggy in the storm is stunning.

Larxia

I think the only thing that still makes you think it looks better is image quality. Everything else is better in modern games compared to Toy Story, but CGI always have this very clean and soft look that makes everything look more cinematic, while games look less clean, with often blur from TAA and then post process sharpening to counter it, as well as various aliasing, shimmering, flickering, all kind of stuff that isn't there in CGI.

I'm not sure if many people still know about it, but "SGSSAA" is the anti aliasing method that gave me the most "CGI" feeling in term of image quality. It only worked in older games however.

bitbydeath

I still think Toy Story 1 has better image quality than games today. It just looks cleaner. I don't think it's been surpassed yet.
I’d say Kena surpasses it in IQ, but it does take a specific graphic style to match, most others don’t try for it.

images

buenoblue

I just watched Toy Story 1 on VHS and the gfx look soooo good.

There only a couple of games like Crysis 1 and the UE5 Matrix demo that can compete visually.
I Don't believe you.

Try hooking up PS5 to a CRT tv

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I don't get the comparison necessarily, but maybe the OP just likes the aesthetic of the Toy Story films. Certainly a lot of effort went into the animations there on a frame by frame basis also, probably more than what goes into a typical video game.

SHA

It's the cpu, nothing has changed dramatically, it didn't happen arbitrarily, the guys who created the hardware already knew how the software gonna look like, you can't expect things to change if you rely on these people, and it's not about cutting costs or anything related to this, beyond Good and evil 2 is a great example on why it won't happen.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This was from Kingdom Hearts 3 on last gen hardware
tumblr_pmq8e2QAGb1utqb9do1_540.gifv

I think the only thing that still makes you think it looks better is image quality. Everything else is better in modern games compared to Toy Story, but CGI always have this very clean and soft look that makes everything look more cinematic, while games look less clean, with often blur from TAA and then post process sharpening to counter it, as well as various aliasing, shimmering, flickering, all kind of stuff that isn't there in CGI.

I'm not sure if many people still know about it, but "SGSSAA" is the anti aliasing method that gave me the most "CGI" feeling in term of image quality. It only worked in older games however.
It's also understanding concepts. This is why the videogame industry today is in the state that it's in, it's so bad right now. The only developer work I've seen who have consistently reflected the concepts that I see in something like Pixar's Toy Story is Valve software. On the other hand, I saved a lot of money from not buying these terrible ass games today.

Allandor

If you watch it from VHS it looks better because your brain reconstructs the missing information and so a "clean" image but with low details can still look good. Same applies to watching something on small displays.

Also the move uses path traced lighting so the picture looks much more natural to your brain. But the lack of details should be noticable if you try to focus on that.

So partially the movies still better than many other stuff (global light) but it looks so much worse in other departments.

Sanepar

Problem with games nowadays is animation. We have great graphics and resolution but ridiculous bad animation. Npcs in general are robots with weird behavior.

Thaedolus

It's been a while since I've seen it. Not big into the artistry of modern triple As.
I mean it was good for the time but tech has advanced for nearly 30 years since. Any kind of AAA title trounces it. The one advantage Toy Story has, as others have mentioned, is it was rendered frame by frame as such high resolutions and polygon budgets that you don’t see any aliasing and the like. But a year after it came out TLOU Part I on PS5 still blows me away.

BlackTron

He watched on VHS, with a 19" CRT. Built-in smoothing effect. Was that army man shot on film or is it your Toy Story tape? I CANT TELL!!11!!1

Codes 208

Jeez i forgor how much TS1 looked like a tech demo. Studio’s first 3d movie and all that.

I’d argue games have hit the level of TS3 but honestly art style is more important imo. Its the same argument of “insert nintendo game in unreal here” thing. Like yeah, 4k zelda looks neat but it also looks soulless. You know what else looks soulless?

Toy story 1

In terms of details and lighting techniques it has been surpassed, however since it's an offline render and uses nurbs/splines instead of triangles, it basically has infinite resolution (kinda like vectors), so there are no visible edges (jaggies) anywhere; games still can't replicate this, though tech like nanite allows to get close.
It looks great because of ray tracing and infinite MSAA

i guess

It had no raytracing, also no need for super sampling (msaa didn't exist) when working with nurbs surfaces.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
To be fair that scene was actually CGI in KH3 too lol So not the best example, but KH3 did look really good in general.
Was it ?
DF's analysis suggests it's real-time

Last edited:
and aggressiveeeeeeee AA, per the devs/producers.

plus there's no jank:
LoD isnt popping in, grabbing your attention.
distant animations arent running at half-rate and dont have abrupt transitions.
bushes arent a bunch of sprites that twitch in the wind as an animation.
clipping is basically non-existent.
eyes behave convincingly.
blah blah blah
cinnamonandgravy, I agree with what you’re saying, but in most of those scenes in the original Toy Story the eyes will not synchronously blink correctly (a lot of people don’t know this).

JackMcGunns

OP - I don't think you remember how bad the characters of Toy Story 1995 looked. Very low poly and trash texture detail.

HXrBN67.png

A PS5 or XSX version would probably look like this as an indie game lol:

mCufkxn.png

Whereas more realistic models from AAA games are looking like this:

jPndt9zqbS5H9hvKeJ2v6V.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom