• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did Nintendo lose it's edge on controls this generation?

Scrawnton

I never had any issues with controls on Wii U. They still make games that control perfectly. The pro controller is the best traditional controller this gen IMO and the gamepad works great in games that require it. Playing multiplayer with wiimotes was never an issue because I already had two wiimote+ for my wii.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I like the Gamepad too, but I do have one single issue with it: Not being able to turn off the screen when you are not using it/when you are playing with a different controller.

You can do that. The only thing you can't do if turn off the screen if you are using the GamePad as it will turn back on the moment you press a button on it. Just go to controller settings in the Home menu.

the last great nintendo console for real gamers was n64. it had its fair share of mistakes, but it did a lot of things right and offered a lot of amazing games. gamecube was the start of nintendos gradual change to offering consoles primarily for facebook gamers. i mean their current controller is basically a large cell phone ffs.
Don't you mean the gamecube?

How exactly did the gamecube cater to facebook gamers? It had far more third party releases 'for real gamers' than the N64 ever had.

M°°nblade;159294961 said:
Don't you mean the gamecube?

How exactly did the gamecube cater to facebook gamers? It had far more third party releases 'for real gamers' than the N64 ever had.

no i mean n64. i said gamecube was the start. nintendo started simplifying the hell out of its games on the gamecube. the wii was when nintendo went full on casual gamer. thing is tho, that market is a 1 time sell when the novelty wears off and they remember they just arent really into video games enough to pay for a console and 50 to 60$ games. they can get their fix much cheaper(or for free) on their cell phone.. the majority of people who come back and keep investing into games dont want the casual mobile style shit nintendo is selling. they want bigger, more advanced titles with high productions values. they want more powerful consoles to drive said games. thats why every console nintendo releases(excluding the wii for as i noted above), is an increasingly bigger failure than the last. look at ps4 and xbone. people buy consoles to play games. they dont care about stupid tv shit and voice activation. they want the most powerful console with the largest library of quality games w/ high production values. its no different with movies. the biggest blockbusters are always high budget action extravaganzas with awesome presentation.

deleted

I never had any issues with controls on Wii U. They still make games that control perfectly. The pro controller is the best traditional controller this gen IMO and the gamepad works great in games that require it. Playing multiplayer with wiimotes was never an issue because I already had two wiimote+ for my wii.

They don't though. Just look at Super Mario 3D World, which is a downgrade in controls from the galaxy games. And not just in a subjective way, you can deduce that objectively.

The Wii U Pro controller is also my favorite controller this gen, but sadly, I can't use it where it should be possible - and I'm not talking about games that require the Gamepad here.

Ninja Dom

M°°nblade;159294832 said:
It doesn't affect you but it does affect the local multiplayer & party capabilities the Wii had.

Disagree, because the local multiplayer games use the same controllers the Wii had.

Dr. Buni

Real gamers... The cringe is real. Also, if the N64 was the last "real" console Nintendo developed, I am glad they aren't making consoles for "real gamers" anymore.
You can do that. The only thing you can't do if turn off the screen if you are using the GamePad as it will turn back on the moment you press a button on it. Just go to controller settings in the Home menu.
Right, I forgot that. But the Gamepad still is technically on and wasting the battery life.

oni-link

the last great nintendo console for real gamers was n64. it had its fair share of mistakes, but it did a lot of things right and offered a lot of amazing games. gamecube was the start of nintendos gradual change to offering consoles primarily for facebook gamers. i mean their current controller is basically a large cell phone ffs.

This is just an awful post, pretty much every Nintendo system from the NES has had about a fifth to a third of the best 10 games each generation

The Wii was probably their weakest system in terms of number of games, though the highs were absurdly high

I admire they want to try and do something different, but they should pick a input device and make everything around that, and then offer alternatives for those who want them

no i mean n64. i said gamecube was the start. nintendo started simplifying the hell out of its games on the gamecube.
The only Nintendo games I bought on the gamecube were metroid prime and the two Zelda games. Didn't strike me as getting simplified.

the wii was when nintendo went full on casual gamer. thing is tho, that market is a 1 time sell when the novelty wears off and they remember they just arent really into video games enough to pay for a console and 50 to 60$ games. they can get their fix much cheaper(or for free) on their cell phone.. the majority of people who come back and keep investing into games dont want the casual mobile style shit nintendo is selling. they want bigger, more advanced titles with high productions values. they want more powerful consoles to drive said games. thats why every console nintendo releases(excluding the wii for as i noted above), is an increasingly bigger failure than the last. look at ps4 and xbone. people buy consoles to play games. they dont care about stupid tv shit and voice activation. they want the most powerful console with the largest library of quality games w/ high production values. its no different with movies. the biggest blockbusters are always high budget action extravaganzas with awesome presentation.
EDIT: I understand what you're saying about the Wii but the gamecube always struck me as Nintendo's final attempt to actually cater to gamers instead of casuals with simplified games. The problem is that they only did half a job. Yes, they were going for the younger and inexperienced audience with easier games, but what I played didn't seem simplified.

the gamepad is great (off tv and internet browsing gets more use than i ever anticipated for), options are always welcome, backwards compatibility is fantastic in any sense, nintendo still caters to real gamers, gamecube games are not available on VC, i like that my wiimotes are still relevant, dual screen play where available is awesome (if this was introduced during the 64 era every platform would have it imo, can you imagine goldeneye)

yes there is confusion and some issues this has created but i think the positives outweigh the negatives.

pro controller is still my go to controller, but i really enjoy the gamepad (especially while my TV is displaying all the sport i watch)

Makes Wiimote mandatory for many multiplayer games.

Doesn't initially include one in the box.

Yeah, my kids were pretty pissed when we rented one of the sidescrolling Mario titles. Maybe it was New Luigi Bros U or something. But we basically couldn't play it because we didn't have enough of the right controllers. We've got 4 fucking controllers for this system, and yet consistently cannot play 4 player games (though Smash and SM3DW were fine).

This is just an awful post, pretty much every Nintendo system from the NES has had about a fifth to a third of the best 10 games each generation

The Wii was probably their weakest system in terms of number of games, though the highs were absurdly high

I admire they want to try and do something different, but they should pick a input device and make everything around that, and then offer alternatives for those who want them

from gamecube on, 100% no

Dr. Buni

I don't see how simplifying games is a bad thing. I like having fun and simpler games are often more fun than overly complicated one.
I think the Wii had more gems than the N64, which is imo the weakest home console Nintendo developed so far.

Disagree, because the local multiplayer games use the same controllers the Wii had.
What's the point of buying a Wii U when you have to rely on Nintendo's last-gen controllers for local multiplayer games?

Wasn't the Wii U pad supposed to take that to the next level? AT least, that's how it was marketed imo.

no i mean n64. i said gamecube was the start. nintendo started simplifying the hell out of its games on the gamecube. the wii was when nintendo went full on casual gamer. thing is tho, that market is a 1 time sell when the novelty wears off and they remember they just arent really into video games enough to pay for a console and 50 to 60$ games. they can get their fix much cheaper(or for free) on their cell phone.. the majority of people who come back and keep investing into games dont want the casual mobile style shit nintendo is selling. they want bigger, more advanced titles with high productions values. they want more powerful consoles to drive said games. thats why every console nintendo releases(excluding the wii for as i noted above), is an increasingly bigger failure than the last. look at ps4 and xbone. people buy consoles to play games. they dont care about stupid tv shit and voice activation. they want the most powerful console with the largest library of quality games w/ high production values. its no different with movies. the biggest blockbusters are always high budget action extravaganzas with awesome presentation.

Holy shit, I can't.

I'm trying to not be mean and say that I get what you're trying to say, but come on man.

I don't see how simplifying games is a bad thing. I like having fun and simpler games are often more fun than overly complicated one.
I think the Wii had more gems than the N64, which is imo the weakest home console Nintendo developed so far.

I agree, the Game Cube and Wii were way better than the N64.

purdobol

omgviurb.gif

I actually find the Wii U gamepad to be one of Nintendo's more comfortable controllers in recent years.

The 3DS isn't. All its buttons have these sharp edges, it's got this vestigial d-pad that I have to twist my thumb in weird ways to reach (or completely re-adjust how I hold the system).

I also really hated the Wiimote when held "NES Style." The d-pad is way, WAY too small on that thing, and not enough first-party games let you fall back to the Classic Controller Pro (which was even worse than the 3DS in the clicky/sticky buttons department)

I feel like Nintendo's biggest problem is ergonomics. They seem to like square, blocky things, but those aren't very comfortable to hold. The Wii U gamepad at least has grips on it, which is something I really wished the GBA SP, DS, and 3DS had.

We get it, okay. The Game & Watch was cool. But it's also, like, over 30 years old. Embrace change a little more, please.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Right, I forgot that. But the Gamepad still is technically on and wasting the battery life.
Yeah, it's not perfect. I just leave my GamePad in the charging cradle when not using it.

Yeah, my kids were pretty pissed when we rented one of the sidescrolling Mario titles. Maybe it was New Luigi Bros U or something. But we basically couldn't play it because we didn't have enough of the right controllers. We've got 4 fucking controllers for this system, and yet consistently cannot play 4 player games (though Smash and SM3DW were fine).

Odd. New Super Luigi U should have had Pro Controller support from the outset. New Super Mario Bros U had it patched in later (when Luigi U came along).

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I think the gamepad is complete trash, battery life is terrible, none of the games I own use it in any interesting ways and it doesn't feel all that great to hold. I wish I could have got a console with a pro pad instead.

Ninja Dom

good argument. wii u and gamecube sales speak for themselves. people dont want nintendo consoles.

But if GameCube sales speak for themselves then how would they go from 21 million GameCube sales to 101 million Wii sales??

Maybe it isn't Nintendo consoles people don't want, maybe they aren't as concerned about the "name/company/manufacturer" as you think they are.

I think the gamepad is complete trash, battery life is terrible, none of the games I own use it in any interesting ways and it doesn't feel all that great to hold. I wish I could have got a console with a pro pad instead.

I still hold out hope that Nintendo will do this for christmas this year, I genuinely don't want to pay for the gamepad, nor do I want to occasionally be forced to use it..

I don't know why people complain that the Wii U gamepad has a poor battery life. Do you like, use it at full brightness with full volume? Do you have ridiculous gaming marathons that go on for 6+ hours?

Because when I'm done with my gamepad, it goes right back in to the charging cradle. Every time I take it off that thing, it's always at a full charge. I use my Wii U all day every day (usually for video streaming) and the last time I saw a low battery warning for the Gamepad was over a year ago when I first bought Tropical Freeze.

Since then I have gotten Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, and ZombiU and never once have I ever even THOUGHT about the battery on that thing. And I don't even have the high capacity battery from Nintendo!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
My only issue is there's so many different controller options, but not a single one of them can do everything. To me that makes no sense at all.

What about the Wii sales then? You are ignoring them because...?
The Wii was a two-trick pony. It had the Wiimote and Wiifit driving it's sales and nothing much else.

Many hardcore gamers became malcontent and flocked to PS360 hardware and PC as their primary platform.

Dr. Buni

M°°nblade;159296116 said:
The Wii was a two-trick pony. It had the Wiimote and Wiifit driving it's sales and nothing much else.

Hardcore gamers flocked to PS360 hardware and PC as their primary platform.
Right, but the system still sold a lot, regardless of what "hardcore gamers" might think about it.

Cday

Banned
They've been behind since the Gamecube. It's a fine controller on its own for games specifically designed for it, but for multiplats that are supposed to use dual sticks? For-fucking-get it. What the hell were they thinking with that pile of crap "c-stick".

I just don't know where to start. If you think that games like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, StarFox and so on are "casual mobile style shit".

your focusing on a very select and small batch titles

Preach!

What about the Wii sales then? You are ignoring them because...?

i explained the wii sales phenomenon above

But if GameCube sales speak for themselves then how would they go from 21 million GameCube sales to 101 million Wii sales??

Maybe it isn't Nintendo consoles people don't want, maybe they aren't as concerned about the "name/company/manufacturer" as you think they are.

probably because as bad as gamecube was, wii u is dramatically worse. you misunderstand me, i meant people dont want the type of console experience nintendo is offering. altho i disagree wrt the brand. nintendos brand is in the gutter. even if they did make an amazing console their brand is so severely tarnished it might still bomb at this point.

Strange. I must have just been dreaming that I used the GamePad and it's infrared bar to beat Xenoblade while my television was busy being broken...

Acrylic7

I still dont understand why they never kept and improved the GameCube controller. Everyone else improves on their already existing designs except Nintendo. The GC controller is still my favorite behind the Dualshock 2 (Nostalgia).

oni-link

I still dont understand why they never kept and improved the GameCube controller. Everyone else improves on their already existing designs except Nintendo. The GC controller is still my favorite behind the Dualshock 2 (Nostalgia).

The Gamecube controller is still amazing even today, its ergonomics are unmatched, imagine that with 2 generations/iterations worth of tweaks (better Z button, 2nd analogue stick) and you'd have something perfect

Can someone who prefers the pro controller over the gamepad explain why they do? I've never been able to understand this stance. They have completely identical buttons.

Is it an issue of ergonomics? That's the only thing I can think of. I have large hands, and the gamepad feels better to me than the standard controller setup. I can still use the standard setup, but the gamepad is especially nice. I also feel it puts my hands closer to a resting neutral position of being at my sides.

I suppose I could understand if someone else experienced a different level of comfort, but the level of dismissiveness regarding the gamepad is seriously overblown.

The second screen can be used for large convenience with maps and inventory, or giving you the freedom to use offscreen play, and you must give this up for... an ergonomic improvement... in some subjective cases?

I remember distinctly, when the Wii U first came out and the pro controller was announced I thought it would soon be removed from stores because no one would actually buy a controller with identical buttons and missing so many features.

Can someone who prefers the pro controller over the gamepad explain why they do? I've never been able to understand this stance. They have completely identical buttons.

Is it an issue of ergonomics? That's the only thing I can think of. I have large hands, and the gamepad feels better to me than the standard controller setup. I can still use the standard setup, but the gamepad is especially nice. I also feel it puts my hands closer to a resting neutral position of being at my sides.

I suppose I could understand if someone else experienced a different level of comfort, but the level of dismissiveness regarding the gamepad is seriously overblown.

The second screen can be used for large convenience with maps and inventory, or giving you the freedom to use offscreen play, and you must give this up for... an ergonomic improvement... in some subjective cases?

I remember distinctly, when the Wii U first came out and the pro controller was announced I thought it would soon be removed from stores because no one would actually buy a controller with identical buttons and missing so many features.

For sure. I whole-heartedly agree. In fact, my white pro controller is exclusively used for second player and the GamePad is king for everything from internet, emulation, PLEX, and gaming.

Taker666

M°°nblade;159295453 said:
What's the point of buying a Wii U when you have to rely on Nintendo's last-gen controllers for local multiplayer games?

Wasn't the Wii U pad supposed to take that to the next level? AT least, that's how it was marketed imo.

...to save consumers hundreds of dollars on additional controllers (if they already had a Wii)?

Not that Nintendo has been given much thanks for it. In hindsight they shouldn't have bothered and just screwed consumers out of more cash by forcing new controller purchases for multiplayer ala Sony/Microsoft. Nintendo missed out on a bunch of money by trying to add value.

crinale

weight.

oni-link

Well I like the gamepad, off screen is nice and it's not too uncomfortable, but I don't think it was worth the extra cost I had to pay for the system because of it, and I don't think it offers much from a gameplay perspective anyway, I have the map on the screen in MK8 and it's a lot more inconvenient looking down to see how far away 2nd place is when if the map was on the TV screen I could flick my eyes to the side and see while playing

I get your point, they are similar, but the pro is lighter, has way better battery life and is more familiar to anyone who has played console games for the last decade

It was probably introduced because not everyone likes/has Wiimotes and they needed a cheap(er) alternative for 2nd controllers, since they don't sell extra gamepads

Honestly, my only problem with the Gamepad is that it's a bitch to replace if you break it. Has there ever been another case where a console's main controller cannot be easily purchased as an additional accesory to the console, like a Dualshock or a 360 controller?

The Gamepad itself I found surprisingly comfortable to use, despite having reservations initially.

Top Bottom