• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you find GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junpei Heat

Just wondering how so many people found this place.

Personally I just stumbled upon it when looking for some videogame info

El Papa

So long ago....I don't remember. :( I think I also found GAF looking for videogame info.

I used to post at the old NintendoNation and Nintendorks boards. When they got shut down I moved here.

And I've been here since. It won't let me go.

MoxManiac

I think I came from a dreamcast board too. I remember posting on blast city, dcswirl, and segaweb prior to this place. I also remember viewing the forum on a dreamcast browser.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
max_cool said:
I found it through a site called DC United around 1999. Some one on that forum linked to this one.
Haha, same here. Basically, late september/early october 1999.

Or maybe it was dcswirl.com? Some dreamcast board. I remember the forum page was mostly white...

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
It's been a long time, but I think I actually followed gaming-age.com and hit the forums link. Reason I was at gaming-age were friends I knew, either Exxy or Sam Kennedy, who worked on it.

yayaba

Man, I really don't remember anymore. I think I stumbled upon it looking for vid game news of course... maybe it was a sales chart or something.

I do remember not bookmarking it though. I visited again from time to time and eventually started browsing regularly.

Shirokun

I linked here back in 2000 I believe, from some forum called Cloud Chaser or something like that. I can't say I've ever been the same since(in a bad way).

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Browsing some sites for videogame news and came upon a GAF link.

maybe it was a sales chart or something

The GAF amnesia is slowly wearing off the GAFFIES. It was sales charts!

<Insert GAF/Lost photshop here>

sky

I think through blast-city, or something from that time. I also used to visit gaming-age.com, but soon realized their forum had better news than the front page :lol.

JRPereira

Someone linked to some articles I had written about contra 3 and sim city on my site. They're no longer up, obviously.

Awesome forum though. Thinking about it, I should probably get that site back up and start watching the referrers and see who else links to my stuff.

castle007 said:
Actually I was searching for "virgins" on google, and this was the first result

:lol

I use to read a site called gamecubeheaven.tk run by GAFs own toymachine (?). He would always post on his site what ever EAD ninja would say. Eventually I came here and lurked for about a year, then joined, and one of the very first people to talk to me was David Jaffe, it made me very happy.

newsguy

I think I found it from someone who linked to it from the AVS forums. Feels like a long time ago. It was sometime around the Japan PSP launch cause I remember frequenting that huge thread.

In early 2003, someone linked the NPD data to here. Lurked for a long time, finally registered (especially since the search engine is unavailable to guests).

A friend told me about the Off-Topic MLB thread, saying they needed a few good Mets fans. I figured at the very least I could spend time on the Gaming side and maybe find some writers for my site on both sides (we always are hiring). Lots of fun here.

EDIT: Seriously. PM me if you're interested in writing about anything for our site. :D

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
:lol

I had all but given up on Nintendo being succesful with DS, but Nintendogs was released and I wanted to know how it sold in Japan.

First stop - GAF!! and the whole Nintendogs and Easter and DS superboom-age has lasted ever since :lol Those Nintendogs sales charts were so funny, made me stick around.

From #ga, like eight years ago, I found the site...didn't bother looking at the forums til about four or so years back, only recently registered.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Was told about the Gaming-Age forums by a friend (manngc) in 1999 I think, and then I lurked here for a while before posting in 2000. I used to be on the rec.games.video usenet groups before that.

DCX

DCX
I was a regular at Dreamcast Technical Pages and someone linked it. I was DC Prophet there.

DCX

Lazy Z

I found GAF from a DC IRC channel, can't really remember which server anymore as it was ages ago. Some guy would continuously post links to certain threads in the forum (including quotes from people mentioned in the "GAF legends" thread), so I eventually decided to follow one of them.

Pachael

Gaming (there's a frontpage?!) Age used to be one of my favourite non-magazine gaming sites and it was a surprise that after coming into the forums, I didn't go back. Especially since said non-magazine gaming sites started going down in flames (UGP, GIA, etc etc)

Of course it seems like some of my favorite writers started posting on GAF too, so that helped.

rareside

Remember Daily Radar?

I used to mod their forums, then they went and closed up shop. And I actually liked their site too.. Good ranking system! I think it was BOMB, ????, HIT, DIRECT HIT

Anyway after they closed up I was out on the streets alone for about a year, then I lurked here for about a year or so, peeking into the window, when finally I could bear it no longer and created an account.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I followed a link on Beyond3D (the Console subsection). I remember the link being about the first released media of MGS4 from TGS. It was awesome.

BlueTsunami said:
I followed a link on Beyond3D (the Console subsection). I remember the link being about the first released media of MGS4 from TGS. It was awesome.

wow, I thought you were here long before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom