• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you find GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeEarth

In 2000 I posted at the IGN boards (I'm so sorry) and someone linked the thread about Factor 5 talking about the 'Dolphin' and I loved it so I joined up.

El Papa

Pellham said:
I must be one of the few who found GAF from the actual gaming age website (probably in 98 or 99)
This is how I found the forum. I used to check Gaming-Age for news back in the day, then checked out the forum.

OG Gaming-Agers rise up!

saelz8

I believe it was linked to from Gamespot forums, which I usually didn't browse, I just happened to be checking out their forum out of curiousity and I believe GAF was linked to one thread. I think, not exactly sure.

DCX

DCX
skybaby said:
How is our good old Sega Nazi? :D
:lol :lol Dural you mean? Well, last i knew they set up thier own forum, Always Game i think it's called, he then became, what seemed like, a PS2 fan...i jumped ship to hear and have been here ever since...i luked before 98..maybe 97.

DCX

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I think I stumbled in here from the TNL forums, but that was back in 1999, so I can hardly remember now.

kablooey

Probably in '00 or '01, just prior to the release of PS2. IGN was still owned by the Snowball Co., and they had a link on the side of their page directing you to Gaming-Age.com. I checked out the forums (the ol' Snowboards), and that was that.

MetalAlien

Banned
either a link on usenet or a post on the old NGO forums... At the time (1997-98) I remember talking to The Hand on usenet, and within a short time I was posting here as well... when NGO died, I posted here quite a bit.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
A friend at work was addicted to it, I in turn grew interested, had him post stuff for me off and on, and eventually I got my own account.

muckhole

Been so long, I believe I found it when I first got the internet in my extremely rural area.
I lurked for years and years, worried that I wouldn't have the time to add anything useful* to most of the threads. Finally applied, never got in.

Applied again a year later, never got in.

Applied one last time, got accepted.

*As of 12:30am EST Feb 1st 2007, still have yet to add anything useful to most threads.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Back when psx2online.com joined with ukgamers to form the lovable abortion known as spinned.com, there was some cross-pollination with GA people which included Alucard, who got stiffed on a Dreamcast. At least I think it had something to do with that. I do know that as spinned died, I read GAF more and more.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I posted on IGN for a few years and found a link to here. I lurked for a while, then decided to make the jump.

ToxicAdam

TNL

I was always interested in sales data they would report on there from time to time. Then there would be a bunch of users bitching "THIS AIN'T GAF, WHO GIVES A F#CK?!". So, I decided I need to find out what this "GAF" was...

It's one of those websites I use to hear about alot from online friends, decided to check it out and just browsed every few days for a good year, signed up a while ago and never looked back for gaming news.

I honestly can't remember. I'm pretty sure it was either from a DC website or Nintendorks back in the day. I think I've only ever had 2 names throughout the years, yet I lurked a hell of a lot back in the golden days.

Kangu

Banned
I used to lurk/post on the www.psx2central.com forums way back around 2000-2001. They kept linking here for news and discussions and eventually I just decided to go straight to the source. I lurked for a long while here, then I tried to register when the forums were made for users only but the goddamned registration took so long that I more or less forgot about it completely.

Eventually the forum stopped became open again and I came back and some time later I randomly tried to log in and was suprised to find my registration had finaly gone through.

Nameless

Well, the main GA parge used to be a constant my daily rotation of gaming sites I read, so I visited the forums every now and then from ther, but not often . I was a regular poster on Cloudchaser/XG when I really took notice of GAF, as so many news threads would link to here. I lurked here for the news for 3-4 years before I started to post regularly.

Jasoco

Banned
Someone over at Digital Press mentioned this place a long time ago and said not to come here because y'all were idiots.

So I came over to check it out and decided to stay with you idio--er really nice people.

Seriously though, DP used to be my stomping ground after I left AtariAge. Now I'm here and rarely visit DP. And only AA once in a while. And I don't mean Alcoholics Anonymous.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Through a link on fennec fox/Kevin Gifford's old Video Fenky page. Which I found through the Insert Credit front page, that which I found while searching for some Phantasy Star info.

Mike M

Nick N
Best I can recall, I migrated this way after Saturnworld went to crap, what with the constant pyramid schemers and PSXBlowz being the only posters...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Bored in the summer of '99, I was on a kick of reading the letters section of The GIA, but that wasn't getting updated frequently enough to hold my interest. I started looking for other video game websites that did the same thing and came across gaming-age.com. They had some good stuff there, but then I noticed their forum section. Instantly hooked. Lurked all summer and finally joined up in September 1999.

LordMaji

Forgotten Ancient told me about it, said it's a cool board. I registered but never posted until he was cracking up about everyone changing their avatars to look like MAF's. :lol

Feels more like a community here. But then again I'm only on the OT. Rarely scope out Gaming side.

fallout

I don't remember when exactly I started browsing. Though, I've seen a couple incarnations of the forums IIRC ... I was registered when it was on ezboard (?). At the very least, I was lurking heavily. If someone could put a year on that, it'd be nice. I'm guessing around 2001-2002ish.

I was pointed here by some ... special IGN people. They talked about how fast it got news and that it wasn't filled with complete idiots. So, I started browsing. I was actually registered for a good while without ever posting too (IIRC, there was a time when guests couldn't browse).

Azih

During my search for some E3 news(98 I believe) I found Gaming-age.com's E3 writeup that gave 'worst of show' award to DK64. I registered to complain that I was sure there must have been some Power Rangers crap that would have been much worse. Then I didn't post at all for a few months. Pretty sure I came back for some more Nintendo defense after that and then stuck around. Man I was such a Nbot back then..

Good times good times.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Well, I was a regular over at the hardcoregaming message board back when it was GAF's "rival" so to speak (even became a so-called editor at one point though I was lazy about it). I lurked here for a bit, hit it off with Darkshire back when he was mod and made this my permanent place of political bitching.

There's a few (former?) HG heads that post here--Cahill chimes in over at the gaming side every now and then, Border was an editor there, and I think this Shinobi is the same one I used to see over there as well.

puck1337

Mmmm, it must have been back in 2000/2001. I used to go to the main page in hopes of finding news on Galleon or Saffire or some shit vapourware like that.

Meier

Everyone's favorite photographer olimario used to 'steal' news from here and link to it on the IGN boards. Enough people called him out and I eventually found the link and have been here since.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Back in 1999 Matt Cassamassina (if that's how you spell his name) linked here from one of his mailbags on ign64.com. I came, saw that this place got the gaming news faster than anywhere on the net and the [OT] posts were mixed in with the videogame posts (like dogs living with cats), but it worked. Registered pretty much right away, lurked for a looooong time, posting sporadically, then just started posting whenever I felt like it. Man, it's been too long. I shudder to think of the time that I've spent here.

I stumbled while searching for a new game site for news. Found gaming-age read a bit here and there and forgot about it for a while. Then, Sony was going to announce the official PlayStation 2 name. I think Gaming-age.com "Broke" the news that it was going to be called "PlayStation Wonderful". I then clicked the forum link to see who else was laughing at this bogus news. Been mostly lurking since.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Amir0x said:
DarthWufei told me this was the place for the absolute most up-to-date gaming news. I lurked for a very short period of time, and then registered around the time the PSP price was revealed.

Indeed and then you constantly mentioned this place back over at the TTB and a bunch of us eventually decided to see what all the fuss was about. The nice thign about this place is it does lack a Derek, Crandle, or Juan.

Vexidus

I googled "Shadow of the Colossus discussion" because I as fascinated by the game and wanted to read more, and found the official Sotc topic on here! I read all 38+ pages of it and lurked on the boards for another few months before joining

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
I used to post on the-magicbox forums until it started to turn into childish flame wars on a daily basis. Often times they would use GAF as sources, and finally sweedishrodeo convinced me to get on GAF. I lurked for a couple of months, and didn't post much when I first joined. I guess E3 06 was when I broke away from junior status as I started to post regularly then.

scottnak

Had a friend [runedragoon] who would constantly link me tidbits that she caught from here. And well, having seen the links pretty much daily... had to sign up and see what this place was all about.

Exciting.

dasein

I used to go to some other gaming-tech forum (N2000 something? I don't remember) with characters like "Jason" and "Deadmeat" and then little by little some plp of that forum migrated to GAF--it was like 2 years before the "Dolphin Cove"...that's all that I could remember. Most of those techy plp moved onward to Beyond3D, this I know.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
People posting links and etc from GAF on other forums. I followed the links and got sucked into this abyss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom