• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I use a second usb drive with a PS5?

I have a PS5 with one hard drive (2TB WD Black) connected which has PS4 games stored on it. Everything is good with that drive. The issue is when I plug in another usb drive I have, it doesn't show up anywhere. I have my PS4 game saves on it which I'm trying to move to my PS5. It is plugged into the back usb slot (as is the WD Black drive in the other rear slot).

I can turn off the console, remove the WD Black drive and then when I turn it back on it will recognize the other drive.

The issue is that is fucking ridiculous. So is there a way for the PS5 to see both drives and let me select which one I want to use like a normal device would do?

Why is there a limitation to only one drive? That doesn't really make sense, especially if they are going to *eventually* enable support for the SSD bay?

Rayderism

Most probably Sony only allows a single external because their PSU barely has enough power for the system itself, and many people insist on using USB powered drives for externals. AC powered externals are always faster than USB powered ones, not to mention requiring zero power from the console itself, but there's no telling some people that. If Sony allowed 2 externals, people would be trying to use two USB powered drives that would stress the PSU in the console too much and then wonder why their console is crapping out on them.

This "only one external" situation might be fine for PS4, but royally sucks for PS5. Even when they do finally enable the SSD port, it will still be starved for space at a measly 1 or 2TB, or you'll end up paying more for the SSD than the console costs for anything beyond 2TB. PS5 NEEDS to support 2 external drives (and stipulate that they must be AC-powered) so you can have your PS4 BC drive, and a cold storage drive for PS5 games. You can buy two standard AC-powered external 8TB HDD's for less than the cost of one internal 4+TB SSD that will be compatible with the extreme speed requirements of PS5's extension SSD port. And with them jacking up the prices of games and the cost of SSD's being as high as they are, this would make things a lot less expensive for game hoarders like me to still have access to our excessive amount of games.

Top Bottom