• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you listen to Youtube?

What type of output devices?

• earbud-type (earpods, etc.)

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • headphones

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • speakers

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • directly from the speaker of a mobile device

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • other

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

GeekyDad

Personally, on my computer, where I do most of my Youtube watching/listening, I use cheapo little earbuds. When I'm alone in the house, though, I'll usually use my small table pods (also fairly modest in price (less than $30, I'm sure). For the half hour I make my salads in the morning, I'll listen to some gentle sounds on my home-theater speakers (decent set, with separate boom (?) speaker in the middle. Only when necessary, or when walking the dog for a mere few minutes, I will listen directly from my iPhone.

But most of my listening to Youtube is done via cheap earbuds (I'm talkin', like, $5-6).

31hBVWBM1LS.jpg

How about you?

What type of device, and what is the quality?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I have a hifi system in my living room and in my office. That's where I usually watch Youtube.

If I'm going to listen to music, I use lossless streaming on Apple Music. Live music not on streaming is an exception in YT's favor.

Content/Twitch type stuff IDC about audio quality.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I use monitor headphones because I don't want to listen to people speaking with distorted audio. In terms of music, I think the opus compression they use for audio is more than good enough for me, better than Spotify, and quality depends on what the uploader gave them.

Dural

Majority of my Youtube is watched through a TV, so I use the soundbar. If at work I use earbuds.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Use my Sony wh1000xm4's which are great. Don't really like the look of the new xm5's, look a bit flimsy. If I am on my PC I use my ROG Theta's which due to the unique 4 drivers per cup can create some intresting sound profiles.

EkDGY2B.jpg

tAkABBn.jpg

Wouldn't recommend the Theta, had to play around alot with my external DAC to get the right sound profiles I was happy with, but there's nothing I know of quite like them.

wondermega

Usually just through my laptop speakers, particularly if I'm listening to music or a podcast while working. Late at night I will often cruise on YouTube on the TV in the living room though.

I'll just say that even after all this time, and with all that's going on in the world, I'll still regularly marvel at the fact that we have this outrageous service which I could have in no way predicted when I was in college in the 90s, even with the rise of MP3s and the digital format revolution and such. I feel like streaming just came out of nowhere and is one of the most futuristic, incredible things that I could never have imagined. That all being said, it's probably even more impossible to guess what a future generation of "media streaming" will be like given what we have access to now. Streaming thoughts? Consciousness? Crazy talk of course, but so wouldn't this have been..

I also have a somewhat of a hifi system on my desk, both speakers, and a JDS stack with both IEM and pair of Sundara's. I listen to Youtube a lot since there are plenty of DJ sets which I love to listen to. For personal music, i have mostly FLAC and DSD files.

Does anyone know what the quality of music videos on Youtube is? Heard it was 192 but does it move up if you go to 4k setting?

I heard that Voxi is a good mobile service for things like YouTube, as they have data deals where using social media or certain streaming apps doesn't use up your allowance...

SaintALia

On my desktop, I use my over ears(ISK MDH9000), for my phone or tablets I use a bluetooth dongle with my CCA C10 earphones(I have an amp hooked up to some speakers for my desktop audio, and I use a couple other semi-open and open headphones depending on the case).

Never liked the idea of bluetooth plugged directly into my head, besides dongles work better for me because I can use different headsets with them and they typically have more battery life and they don't cost much to replace. My current cost under 20 USD and gives me 15 hours of battery life. Doesn't colour the audio as much as my previous dongle(which boosts the bass), but I appreciate the flat signature and all my 'phones are geared toward bass anyway.

Last edited:

Tams

On my desktop, I use my over ears(ISK MDH9000), for my phone or tablets I use a bluetooth dongle with my CCA C10 earphones(I have an amp hooked up to some speakers for my desktop audio, and I use a couple other semi-open and open headphones depending on the case).

Never liked the idea of bluetooth plugged directly into my head, besides dongles work better for me because I can use different headsets with them and they typically have more battery life and they don't cost much to replace. My current cost under 20 USD and gives me 15 hours of battery life. Doesn't colour the audio as much as my previous dongle(which boosts the bass), but I appreciate the flat signature and all my 'phones are geared toward bass anyway.

What Bluetooth dongle do you use? After Nokia left the market, I couldn't easily find any decent ones.

SaintALia

What Bluetooth dongle do you use? After Nokia left the market, I couldn't easily find any decent ones.
I used an ApekX before

It was decent and had a clip, boosted bass
Now I use this Ugreen receiver. flat sounding, with better battery life

Depends on what you're looking for tho, these aren't exactly swimming with advanced features(no Aptx for eg). But if I really want to LISTEN to music, I wont be using bluetooth in the first place, but if you want something cheap and decent, they're fine. If you want better, look into a Fiio BTR5 or even a BTR3K

Tams

I used an ApekX before

It was decent and had a clip, boosted bass
Now I use this Ugreen receiver. flat sounding, with better battery life

Depends on what you're looking for tho, these aren't exactly swimming with advanced features(no Aptx for eg). But if I really want to LISTEN to music, I wont be using bluetooth in the first place, but if you want something cheap and decent, they're fine. If you want better, look into a Fiio BTR5 or even a BTR3K

A shame neither look as good as the Nokia ones I have that have sadly given up the ghost (one even had an OLED display before they were cool).

SaintALia

A shame neither look as good as the Nokia ones I have that have sadly given up the ghost (one even had an OLED display before they were cool).
Like I said, they are cheap and 'good enough', they both sell for under 20 USD. The Fiio BTR5 has an OLED screen. I just don't see the point of shelling out over 5x the price for something that doesn't dramatically increase the sound quality(tho tbf I haven't actually used it to be entirely sure...).

fiio-btr5-2021-review-banner.jpg

There are lots of dongles out there, some with screens or OLED screens if you prefer(MPOW seems to have one as well and they're a reliable brand, but I don't know about it), but for me personally, if I'm not getting a large enough bump in audio quality, I fail to see the point in buying it. There should be dozens on Amazon and Aliexpress, but I know people highly recommend the Fiio, the two I posted are just what I know personally.

I'm a pretty cheap and practical guy, but the cheap stuff I buy is worth their price and more imo and I don't care that much about looks, as long as it doesn't look TOO shitty and that it serves its purpose.

One of my headphones came in a cheap plastic wrap and nothing else and doesn't look great, BUT, it's one of the best open headphones I've ever heard(in it's price range and under 400 USD), that I can say that beats out the PH9500 and anything in it's price range, with a bass quality and quantity that can go head to head in 'phones 2x or 3x it's price range(especially for an open headphone). But I suppose that also depends on what type of sound signature you may like and whatnot.

Last edited:

Tams

Like I said, they are cheap and 'good enough', they both sell for under 20 USD. The Fiio BTR5 has an OLED screen. I just don't see the point of shelling out over 5x the price for something that doesn't dramatically increase the sound quality(tho tbf I haven't actually used it to be entirely sure...).

fiio-btr5-2021-review-banner.jpg

There are lots of dongles out there, some with screens or OLED screens if you prefer(MPOW seems to have one as well and they're a reliable brand, but I don't know about it), but for me personally, if I'm not getting a large enough bump in audio quality, I fail to see the point in buying it. There should be dozens on Amazon and Aliexpress, but I know people highly recommend the Fiio, the two I posted are just what I know personally.

I'm a pretty cheap and practical guy, but the cheap stuff I buy is worth their price and more imo and I don't care that much about looks, as long as it doesn't look TOO shitty and that it serves its purpose.

One of my headphones came in a cheap plastic wrap and nothing else and doesn't look great, BUT, it's one of the best open headphones I've ever heard(in it's price range and under 400 USD), that I can say that beats out the PH9500 and anything in it's price range, with a bass quality and quantity that can go head to head in 'phones 2x or 3x it's price range(especially for an open headphone). But I suppose that also depends on what type of sound signature you may like and whatnot.

Oh no, I'm not saying I need an OLED display. I was just using it as point that Nokia had that available back in the early 2010s at decent prices and of good quality. The OLED display wasn't really much use, but it was well built.

Headphone wise, I'm pretty happy with my Fidelio X2HR (they've come down in price a lot) and some Sony in-ears that just a single balanced armature, but pretty good. I did have some Superluxes, which sounded great but damn did they hurt to wear. I might get some Monks, or Snowdrops.

Last edited:

SaintALia

Oh no, I'm not saying I need an OLED display. I was just using it as point that Nokia had that available back in the early 2010s at decent prices and of good quality. The OLED display wasn't really much use, but it was well built.

Headphone wise, I'm pretty happy with my Fidelio X2HR (they've come down in price a lot) and some Sony in-ears that just a single balanced armature, but pretty good. I did have some Superluxes, which sounded great but damn did they hurt to wear. I might get some Monks, or Snowdrops.
That's funny, the headphones I mentioned were bought to replace my Superlux HD681B. Good sounding headphone with wide soundstage, came with a crap pair of earpads that I immediately had to replace, good for gaming. I couldn't stand the treble tho, physically hurt after a while, had to replace them(also cymbals and certain sounds sounded wrong or off). But the Superluxes are a good cheap brand of 'phones tho. Never heard the Fidelio X2HR myself.

lachesis

I don't normally watch YouTube on mobile much - but I listen to music via Bose Quite Comfort 25 NC headphone, or regular Apple earbud (wired) that came with my old iPhone 7.

At home, I have 3 main ways of listening to YouTube:
1 - Office room - a desktop computer with a pair of cheap bookshelf speaker (Micca MB42X, I think it's called)
2 - Kitchen area - a monitor hooked up to Roku with sound coming out of Bose Wave Music System (not sure which gen is - one with CD - fairly old from mid 2000s)
3 - Living Room - BT capable sound bar (Sony HT-ST5000 7.1.2) - either thru TV or BT streaming from phone.

Tams

That's funny, the headphones I mentioned were bought to replace my Superlux HD681B. Good sounding headphone with wide soundstage, came with a crap pair of earpads that I immediately had to replace, good for gaming. I couldn't stand the treble tho, physically hurt after a while, had to replace them(also cymbals and certain sounds sounded wrong or off). But the Superluxes are a good cheap brand of 'phones tho. Never heard the Fidelio X2HR myself.
The Fidelio X2HR are by Phillips. They're the same headphones as the PH9500, but without the bass tuning and better build quality.

Ballthyrm

With a pair Mackie 524 studio monitors plugged to a TOPPING E50.
Maybe one day I'll have enough money for some Focal Shape 65 or Genelec 8030.

Last edited:

TronNerd82

I always use a pair of wired Skullcandy earbuds, Because I hate wireless earbuds and over-the-head headphones. I use Skullcandy because they sound good, and Apple earbuds don't fit in my ears. They're the perfect combination for listening to anything; sadly, they are getting harder to find in stores, since everybody flocks to the wireless shit, slowly causing wired earbuds to die out.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Mostly on my iPad Pro from like 2017. I use the Safari browser with some ad blocker. I never use the app. That would be self torture.

Cyberpunkd

YouTube I almost never watch on TV, mostly iPad and my MacBook. I want to build a vinyl setup but for that I need to get rid of two stereo HomePods I have since you cannot plug an aux cable in.

Paltheos

Speakers mostly, I think. I have a decent set for my PC. Since I use headphones often too though, those could nab the majority of my time. Not sure but I guessed speakers.

GeekyDad

4wgoF2X.jpg

I stream straight from the phone to it. My cochlear implant
So, you're holding it...does that mean you're able to insert and remove it yourself daily? Or does it actually have to be place in there by a doctor/nurse? Sorry, for my ignorance. I know pretty much nothing about that sort of device, other than that it's a bypass device rather than an amplifier. Also, is that something you've utilized most of your life, or did you develop an issue with hearing over time?
Speakers mostly, I think. I have a decent set for my PC. Since I use headphones often too though, those could nab the majority of my time. Not sure but I guessed speakers.
What is the quality of your headphones?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So, you're holding it...does that mean you're able to insert and remove it yourself daily? Or does it actually have to be place in there by a doctor/nurse? Sorry, for my ignorance. I know pretty much nothing about that sort of device, other than that it's a bypass device rather than an amplifier. Also, is that something you've utilized most of your life, or did you develop an issue with hearing over time?

What is the quality of your headphones?

That's called the Sound Processor. It fits behind the ear and that round part is a magnet. My actual implant is right under the skin and the magnet of my sound processor connects over the skin ... The implant itself has a piece that connects into the cochlea. This is what the implant looks like:

V9eQSoJ.jpg

And yes, I can take the sound processor off any time I want. I just won't be able to hear without it on my head. I take it off when I sleep and charge the battery at night.

bq3JiDo.jpg

Top Bottom