• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "You have to listen to your community" one of the dumbest sentiments that gets thrown around all the time?

"They better listen to the community" is a...

• ...mostly incorrect statement that ignores how awful communities actually are.

• ...mostly correct statement. Communities typically know how to solve game design problems.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Griffon

That's the very reason I don't really understand why gamers think they have any meaningful input on Early Access games on Steam.

If the dev know how to do his job, he doesn't need the opinions of the 1% of morons who think they matter.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
No. The dumbest sentiment is from the people who believe that they speak for an entire community and think that their own opinion represents the entire community.

DonF

the-homer-inline4.jpg

I mean, consider the community, but for the love of god do not base all you development on the community.

Elysium44

Banned
That's the very reason I don't really understand why gamers think they have any meaningful input on Early Access games on Steam.

If the dev know how to do his job, he doesn't need the opinions of the 1% of morons who think they matter.

The 1% often know more about the game than the devs do. Forza is a case in point. The devs stubbornly hold on to the stupid and widely hated car levelling system which the community told them way ahead of time before the game's release would be a disaster. The game releases, the 'moron' community were proved right. This happens time and time again. It doesn't mean you automatically have to do whatever a tiny minority says, but nor does it mean the community are always wrong. It isn't a binary yes or no answer but somewhere in-between. Only arrogant devs disregard their community, and do so at their peril.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
More often than not the game devs know what they're doing, and other times the feedback of a player base is necessary, especially concerning a game's technical issues.
Listening to a "community" is best done on a case-by-case basis.

MagnesD3

I think this question is thought about incorrectly. Yes you should "listen" to community feedback but doing it is dependent on what you actually believe to be the best for the game. To put it plainly just because your read the feedback doesn't mean you implement it.

MiguelItUp

I think it's important to be aware of what the community is saying and how they feel. But devs should continue to build and focus on what they think works best for their project. Maybe even while addressing things the community wants or doesn't want. Transparency works, and there are often moments where communities clamor for things that just don't work in the grand scheme of things. Or at least for the betterment of the project in most cases. Devs never want their projects to fail because those projects help them maintain their jobs and keep their studios open. It's true that when we've seen this in the past, some studios do it better than others. But I do think that being as transparent as possible about everything can be very helpful. Because if you can't do something the community asks for you can still address it and explain why.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
some of the biggest online video games are community driven or have a major focus on the community and fan creations. Minecraft, Fortnite, Friday Night Funkin, GMod, Roblox. I think it's safe to say that listening to the people who play your game helps success. You don't HAVE to take their feedback and you don't HAVE to implement every tiny suggestion into a game.

But when you ignore what players want and don't focus on giving your playerbase a good time you end up being Destiny 2, or Diablo 4. Bleeding players because nobody likes the game anymore.

Last edited:

Fbh

As with most things it's all about balance.
While it can work out, usually either of the extremes are bad. Completely ignoring player feedback or basically letting your community dictate every change and design decision both seem like a recipe for failure.
What's also important to keep in mind is that the loud voices online are usually just a loud minority. While your most passionate fans are important, you can't forget there's a bigger and more casual audience that's important too.

Also when you have a product with millions of customers it's unlikely that your entire fanbase will want the same thing. It's like when people say stuff like "people complained about 30fps but now that we have 60fps on consoles they complain about games not looking next gen"... as if it was some sort of "gotcha" moment to show the community being hypocritical when it's likely just 2 different groups of people with different priorities complaining about the stuff that's important to them.

Top Bottom