• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you navigate the vortex of online product reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TLDR: I spend way too much time debating between products on Amazon because of all the contradictory reviews, and I want to know how GAF deals with it. Do you simply buy the best selling products? Do you go with the one that looks the nicest? Do you refer to third-party sources like YouTube or blog reviewers? Please halp.

Online shopping presents a unique problem for me, and I'm wondering if some of you can relate. I have always been very frugal and can't stand the thought of wasting my money on a crappy product. It takes me a long time to pull the trigger on a purchase, and this is now exacerbated by the advent of user reviews. Here's a recent example:

Earlier this week I wanted to buy an electric kettle. I've used my coworkers Proctor Silex K2070YA Electric Kettle, 1-Liter at the office almost daily for nearly 3 years, so I can vouch that it's a decent product. It's also one of the cheapest at $15. But there's so many of these electric kettles to choose from on Amazon, I had to research my options.

- The best seller is the ($27) Hamilton Beach 40870 Stainless Steel 10-Cup Electric Kettle, which certainly looks nicer than the one I use at work.
- The NeoGAF Tea OT seems to be fond of the Adagio Teas 30 oz. utiliTEA Variable Temperature Electric Kettle. It certainly looks nice and has more bells and whistles, but at $51 it's more than 3 times the price of my coworker's kettle.
- So, if I'm going to be looking at a pricy kettle, why not go all the way and buy the ($99) Cuisinart CPK-17 PerfecTemp 1.7-Liter Stainless Steel Cordless Electric Kettle or the ($80) Bonavita 1-Liter Variable Temperature Digital Electric Gooseneck Kettle? Both of those look awesome.

I check those kettles and dozens of others of varying price points. Most of them had generally positive reviews.

And then I checked the negative reviews.

- Critical reviews of Hamilton Beach 40870 Stainless Steel 10-Cup Electric Kettle
- Critical reviews of Adagio Teas 30 oz. utiliTEA Variable Temperature Electric Kettle
- Critical reviews of Cuisinart CPK-17 PerfecTemp 1.7-Liter Stainless Steel Cordless Electric Kettle
- Critical reviews of Bonavita 1-Liter Variable Temperature Digital Electric Gooseneck Kettle

From the cheaper models to the most expensive ones, there are similar issues of rusting, leaking, parts breaking after less than a years of use, and/or the kettle crapping out right outside the warranty window. I am always skeptical of shills padding or tanking product reviews, so I looked around online for blogs or websites that review electric kettles. Most of them seemed like advertisements, or were typical "reviewers" who test a product for a couple weeks and write about it (not enough time to see if it will crap out). I bounced between the products on Amazon, wondering, obsessing, over which kettle had the best value.

I then received a text from my dad asking when I would be coming over for dinner. I looked at the time on my phone and was aghast — I had been looking at electric kettles on Amazon for 5 full hours.

I made the rushed decision to buy my coworker's kettle, since it's the only one I could vouch for and at $15 I wouldn't be too mad if it died quickly. I was getting ready to finally complete my Amazon run when I saw FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $35. Crap, I forgot about that. I hate paying for shipping. There were a couple other things I needed, so back down the rabbit hole I went.

I needed an aux cable for my car. There were several clear front runners, and I spent a while researching the differences between them. In the end I went with the (comically long-named)iXCC ® 3Ft Male to Male 3.5mm Universal Gold Plated Design Tangle-Free [Tangle-Resistant] Slim Thin Auxiliary Audio Stereo Cable Cord for [All 3.5mm-enabled devices] iPhone, iPad, iPod, Samsaung Galaxy, Samsung Note, Android, Smartphone, Tablet and MP3 Player. It has an 18-month warranty, which is what won me over. From my experience aux cables are really hit or miss, so a decent warranty is good to have.

Then I looked for a frying pan. After spending too much time bouncing between products and getting lost in the reviews for each, I went with the best seller T-fal E93808 Professional Total Nonstick Oven Safe Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Fry Pan / Saute Pan Dishwasher Safe Cookware, 12-Inch, Black.

In the end, it took me over 6 hours to purchase 3 items from Amazon. I felt sick afterward, like I had wasted a whole day. But I couldn't help myself — my obsession with spending my money wisely and the overload of contradictory information from reviewers had me completely trapped.

I generally look at aggregate scores. If a product has thousands of reviews, I think it is difficult for astroturfers and trolls to swing it either way, and the score should be fairly accurate.

I'll also read maybe one or two of the "most helpful" reviews--usually one with 5 stars and one with 1 star.

Vanish

I know what youre going through because im kinda like that but I think Septimus Prime has the right idea

Kaladin

Look for a "Verified Purchase" review and at least you know they bought the item.

Also, look for reviews with pictures if available, those tend to be well thought out and can often point out flaws.

Finally, I like to look at the most recent reviews because depending on the age of the product, you could be looking at what someone said about whatever it is several years ago.

Recent reviews tell me A) are people still buying this and B) are they still enjoying it like they used to.

Monocle

Honestly I just look at a handful of recent, thorough, well written Amazon reviews, both positive and negative, as well as any obvious patterns in people's complaints about the product. I ignore everything else, because who has the time?

DTA

read as many as you can, the good and the bad and it's likely somewhere in the middle. Way too many extreme reviews on the internet either calling a product a god send or junk

dejay

Banned
It's an electric kettle.

I look for speed and quietness. If those things are stated as features from a brand name I trust and it looks ok, I'll buy it if it's reasonably priced.

Frying pan - do I want cast iron or coated non-stick? Non-stick - look at the 4 mid-tier consumer brands I trust and pick one. The non-stick coating will wear out eventually whatever the brand.

Reviews bum me out. Find out what brands people you trust trust and give them a go. If it fails you, change brands.

Even if it's well reviewed on Amazon, I have to check Youtube reviews. And I'm glad I do, because there seems to be some sort of scam or people on Amazon have really low standards to give gimmicky gaming mouses such as TeckNet such high reviews (#1 best seller) when they're made all the same and kind of shoddy overall. They're really cheap, prey on the nerd's love for high numbers, have lights all over, and look all like those "transformer" designs.

Ek8Uxmp.png

And then you watch the reviews, they're all just for show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFw_vBNihM8

The brand names are not well recognised by anyone, and there often is very little in the box, not even warranties or other legal stuff.

Couleurs

I usually just look at the aggregate score and if it's decent then I read the lowest scored reviews and see if what people are complaining about is enough to keep me from wanting to buy it.

If the review is just "THIS SUX DONT BUY", then I ignore it. If a review lists legitimate, significant complaints and a large number of people have the same problems, then I'll reconsider and look at alternatives.

Azulsky

It depends on what type of product it is. There is typically a price/performance curve and you are paying wayy too much more for the useless bling. Often you end up with the B student of products, but it works great.

Dont mind getting the A or S tier if it comes with a warranty that lets me know the bling is going to keep working for 5 yrs. Example, computer monitors.

If you gonna drop $80+ on an electric kettle I would recommend Breville. Mine is 8yrs old going strong.

Even if it's well reviewed on Amazon, I have to check Youtube reviews. And I'm glad I do, because there seems to be some sort of scam or people on Amazon have really low standards to give gimmicky gaming mouses such as TeckNet such high reviews (#1 best seller) when they're made all the same and kind of shoddy overall. They're really cheap, prey on the nerd's love for high numbers, have lights all over, and look all like those "transformer" designs.

The brand names are not well recognised by anyone, and there often is very little in the box, not even warranties or other legal stuff.
Amazon pays people to write their reviews.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I don't read reviews because people will nitpick even the most minor thing and blow it way out of proportion.

Coreda

I'll often create a list of pros and cons of products based on a bit of a googling odyssey through forums, youtube, and other sites. Was looking for a flashlight once, ending up getting sucked into a world of enthusiasts and finding one I really liked.

The most popular one is usually the best. Unless you want something more specialized. Either way you don't need to read the reviews, just skim them.

It's a multi-step process.

1. I look on Amazon for the most popular/ most reviewed products.
2. I bounce between products and judge them on price, which looks cooler, features, quality, etc.
3. Then I check Youtube for video reviews of said products.
4. Then I google search the products and look for "professinal" reviews.
5. The I go back to Amazon and search the reviews for answers to specific questions.
6. Then I go to bed because it's late by now, and spend all night thinking about the products.

I only pay attention to the reviews that are written with a syntax and writing style that is heuristically similar to my own; such peoples' experiences are likely to be in line with my own potential experiences with the products.

Prez

If you want durability it can be tough because most reviews are written within a month after purchase, so the few critical reviews about the product breaking after a year could be reliable.

Then again if you want durability you probably shouldn't even be considering the cheap stuff.

Regiruler

Yep. I was the reading this article some time ago about their "star reviewer". This dude basically makes a living off reviewing Amazon products.
If it's amazon writing the check, shouldn't the concern for bias be somewhat minimal? I can't think of why amazon would show partiality to a product that isn't one of their own.

kamakazi5

If I'm not spending more than $100 or so then I just go off Amazon reviews. I almost never buy anything with less than 4.5 stars and a good number of reviews. For pricier items with comparable items I will look at video reviews/overviews or CNET if it's an electronic.

draetenth

I generally look at aggregate scores. If a product has thousands of reviews, I think it is difficult for astroturfers and trolls to swing it either way, and the score should be fairly accurate.

I'll also read maybe one or two of the "most helpful" reviews--usually one with 5 stars and one with 1 star.

Look for a "Verified Purchase" review and at least you know they bought the item.

Also, look for reviews with pictures if available, those tend to be well thought out and can often point out flaws.

Finally, I like to look at the most recent reviews because depending on the age of the product, you could be looking at what someone said about whatever it is several years ago.

Recent reviews tell me A) are people still buying this and B) are they still enjoying it like they used to.

Honestly I just look at a handful of recent, thorough, well written Amazon reviews, both positive and negative, as well as any obvious patterns in people's complaints about the product. I ignore everything else, because who has the time?

I usually just look at the aggregate score and if it's decent then I read the lowest scored reviews and see if what people are complaining about is enough to keep me from wanting to buy it.

If the review is just "THIS SUX DONT BUY", then I ignore it. If a review lists legitimate, significant complaints and a large number of people have the same problems, then I'll reconsider and look at alternatives.

I do essentially the same thing.

Thanks for the replies GAF.

The most popular one is usually the best. Unless you want something more specialized. Either way you don't need to read the reviews, just skim them.
You see, I don't think it's that simple. These two posts basically sum up my fears:

Ek8Uxmp.png

I used to work for a cell phone accessories company and my boss had a cadre of people with fake accounts writing Amazon reviews.

Uninformed/trend-following consumers and review padders skew the results. So I'm skeptical of even the seemingly popular products. This is why I spend so much time doing further research. :\

I usually look at youtube things of people using stuff.

Which might explain why i still don't have a butt plug for my personal use.
Well that went in an unexpected direction. Here, I found one for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bParlcdh4b0
(1:12 - holy shit, do people really put their butt plugs in the dishwasher??!!)

Why spend $80-$100 on an electric kettle at all? Why not just get a water boiler?
What's the difference between a water boiler and an electric kettle?

It's a multi-step process.

1. I look on Amazon for the most popular/ most reviewed products.
2. I bounce between products and judge them on price, which looks cooler, features, quality, etc.
3. Then I check Youtube for video reviews of said products.
4. Then I google search the products and look for "professinal" reviews.
5. The I go back to Amazon and search the reviews for answers to specific questions.
6. Then I go to bed because it's late by now, and spend all night thinking about the products.
RG0BS1U.gif

Ah, someone who operates like me.

Eølipile;164875653 said:
I only pay attention to the reviews that are written with a syntax and writing style that is heuristically similar to my own; such peoples' experiences are likely to be in line with my own potential experiences with the products.
Well that's a unique one. Interesting strategy.

If you want durability it can be tough because most reviews are written within a month after purchase, so the few critical reviews about the product breaking after a year could be reliable.

Then again if you want durability you probably shouldn't even be considering the cheap stuff.
Exactly, that's why I had to spend extra time finding the reviews that actually waited several months to a year. And that's what screwed me up — even the expensive kettles had plenty of reviewers saying theirs broke down. I was hoping it would be like a good pair of shoes: spend 3 times more on a nice pair that will last 10 times longer than a pair of crappy shoes. But the kettles don't seem to abide by that rule. My coworker's cheap $15 one has lasted 3 years.

Yeah I do the same. When it comes to renting like air bnb it helps to look at negatives and take into account if these negatives are based on the reviewers weird expectations or has some merit to it. It is easy to divide between well written reviews with and those where people have no clue at what they are talking about.

I use common sense, i.e. if I'm spending more than 30 dollars on an electric kettle I assume I am probably getting ripped off.

THEN I google reviews written by someone who gets paid to do that shit for a living.

If I get to reading user reviews, I am no longer interested in the product and am only looking for entertainment at that point. Fact: most people online are full of shit.

Engell

Exactly, that's why I had to spend extra time finding the reviews that actually waited several months to a year. And that's what screwed me up — even the expensive kettles had plenty of reviewers saying theirs broke down. I was hoping it would be like a good pair of shoes: spend 3 times more on a nice pair that will last 10 times longer than a pair of crappy shoes. But the kettles don't seem to abide by that rule. My coworker's cheap $15 one has lasted 3 years.

Some things are so easy to make and have so few and simple functions that almost anybody could manufacture it. Adding fancy extra parts, complicating the design will only make it break faster.

on the other hand i am using this one in black (only had it for a year so far, but everything on it still works as if it was totally new)
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-TWK8611-8611-cordless-Styline/dp/B003YFHYZ2/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1432371688&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=bosch+styline

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Read through 5 star reviews with a skeptical eye unless it's an amazon top reviewer. These are pretty much only useful if the reviewer lists off interesting uses of the product. You already know what they're going to say in a 5 star.

Read through 3-4 star reviews thoroughly.

Read through 1-2 star reviews and see if most of them are reasonable, and not "shipping time sucked", "don't buy from vendor x", "i like product y that I already own slightly better, so I wasted my money buying this."

Look at eating distribution between low and high. This can tip you off to astroturfing sometimes.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
amazon can get fucked, I ask/read forums online and make a general census out of the results, then I pick the better one

ameratsu

What's the difference between a water boiler and an electric kettle?

Water boiler will bring your water to a selected temperature and leave it there all the time. So anytime you want tea/coffee/hot water it's available instantly. You can set it to sleep while you're sleeping, at work, etc to save energy as well.

I mean, if you were spending $20 or $30 I'd say go for an electric kettle. High-end electric kettles have never made sense when there's a better kind of product available for almost the same price.

Some things are so easy to make and have so few and simple functions that almost anybody could manufacture it. Adding fancy extra parts, complicating the design will only make it break faster.

on the other hand i am using this one in black (only had it for a year so far, but everything on it still works as if it was totally new)
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-TWK8611-8611-cordless-Styline/dp/B003YFHYZ2/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1432371688&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=bosch+styline
3e88WV0.gif

I'm not sure I follow you... You implied that the fancy electric kettles aren't worth it, but the one you linked is $157 with temperature controls.

The Wirecutter.com and Thesweethome.com haven't let me down yet.
Yep I use the http://thewirecutter.com/ to get a first list of product and then some research to confirm my choice.
Thank you, this looks like exactly what I need.

Water boiler will bring your water to a selected temperature and leave it there all the time. So anytime you want tea/coffee/hot water it's available instantly. You can set it to sleep while you're sleeping, at work, etc to save energy as well.

I mean, if you were spending $20 or $30 I'd say go for an electric kettle. High-end electric kettles have never made sense when there's a better kind of product available for almost the same price.
Thanks for the info. A water boiler sounds cool if you have several tea/coffee drinkers in the house, but I live alone and only drink 1 cup of tea per day (2 max), so I really don't need a constant supply of hot water on hand.

Engell

I'm not sure I follow you... You implied that the fancy electric kettles aren't worth it, but the one you linked is $157 with temperature controls.

Never said they where not worth it, i am just saying that they are more likely to break.
But it sure is nice to have that temperature control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom