• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you respond when someone tells you "Have a blessed one"?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
OP, I’ve had my disagreements with your terrible opinions, but I’m ready to jump in front of the hail of bullets for you here.

I’ve never been wished a blessed day, but it’s certainly not a neutral comment. It’s a cheap way for Christians to act sanctimonious by offering an empty blessing they have no power to actually bestow, it’s repulsive to me. It’s also true some people may say it out of a cultural habit and aren’t intending to be overtly religious, but it certainly is religious.

All OP is doing is pointing out to these well meaning folks that they’re bringing up god totally unprompted, and expecting you to reciprocate. This makes them uncomfortable by bringing up the concept not everyone believes in their brand of fairly tales, which according to the responses in this thread is a complete asshole move.

It’s not your job to make sure everyone else is always comfortable. It makes me very uncomfortable when people try to bestow blessings from their imaginary friends unprompted, I don’t want any part of that. OP, you’re not an asshole. It will likely be interpreted as rude behavior without any self reflection from those casting judgment, not your problem though.

Everything you just said ... More often than not... Is wrong.

You're assuming intent of others based on your own hatred of what they believe in. You also seem, like OP, to not have tact in social settings with strangers who aren't like you. That's just my observation based on one comment in this thread but that's the vibe you give off. You and OP

Edit: they aren't trying to bestow a blessing on you... Most religious people KNOW they don't have that ability. They're HOPING you have a blessed day. It's just shorter to say it the way it was said.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Honestly OP sounds like a cunt. To get worked over such an innocuous phrase puts you very highly on the cunt-o-meter.

Monokrom

Never had anyone say that to me. A blessed one? As in that day?
But Sweden is not that religious either so.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
jqfipof01faa1.jpg

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Funny how saving believes only applies to me not them. No double standard there at all.

Some miscommunication perhaps. I'm not a native English speaker. I meant to say that whatever people think/believe/practice/etc, whatever it may be in this specific context of your OP resulted in a positively meant greeting and hope your day will be *good* then what's the problem. The intention was well meant. And that's becoming less and less common.

No double standards. This is why everybody is being an asshole to you. You chose to ignore a well intended greeting and instead told him whatever it was. That's your right but unnecessary imho.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
OP, I’ve had my disagreements with your terrible opinions, but I’m ready to jump in front of the hail of bullets for you here.

I’ve never been wished a blessed day, but it’s certainly not a neutral comment. It’s a cheap way for Christians to act sanctimonious by offering an empty blessing they have no power to actually bestow, it’s repulsive to me. It’s also true some people may say it out of a cultural habit and aren’t intending to be overtly religious, but it certainly is religious.

All OP is doing is pointing out to these well meaning folks that they’re bringing up god totally unprompted, and expecting you to reciprocate. This makes them uncomfortable by bringing up the concept not everyone believes in their brand of fairly tales, which according to the responses in this thread is a complete asshole move.

It’s not your job to make sure everyone else is always comfortable. It makes me very uncomfortable when people try to bestow blessings from their imaginary friends unprompted, I don’t want any part of that. OP, you’re not an asshole. It will likely be interpreted as rude behavior without any self reflection from those casting judgment, not your problem though.

Lol bro it's about intention. And that's hard to gauge. One and done.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Everything you just said ... More often than not... Is wrong.

You're assuming intent of others based on your own hatred of what they believe in. You also seem, like OP, to not have tact in social settings with strangers who aren't like you. That's just my observation based on one comment in this thread but that's the vibe you give off. You and OP

Edit: they aren't trying to bestow a blessing on you... Most religious people KNOW they don't have that ability. They're HOPING you have a blessed day. It's just shorter to say it the way it was said.
I don't hate God, God might even exist I don't waste my time worrying about it much. What I can tell you is that God is useless to me in my day to day life. That girl was most definitely sanctimonious I'm pretty she was wearing the very same cross Christ was crucified on. It was that big. Strange how triggered some of you are cause she got the slightest pushback.

Last edited:
OP, thank you for giving us a classic thread that will surely be remembered by all who read it.

Also, shout-out to the mod for handing out a well-earned tag for OP, who at least has a sense of humor, judging by his replies ITT.

I think I can speak for everyone here when I say we've truly been blessed with an abundance of entertainment on this day 😃 🙏 🙌 😌

No idea what you're talking about..Fear of what exactly?
Your fear, bordering on phobia, of religions and religious people.

There's a reason religion (heavily intertwined with culture) has been universally prevalent throughout human history: because it works. It's been a pacifying and unifying force since the beginning. You don't have to believe any religious tenets to acknowledge this.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
OP, thank you for giving us a classic thread that will surely be remembered by all who read it.

Also, shout-out to the mod for handing out a well-earned tag for OP, who at least has a sense of humor, judging by his replies ITT.

I think I can speak for everyone here when I say we've truly been blessed with an abundance of entertainment on this day 😃 🙏 🙌 😌
Amen! Praise sweet baby Jeebus, Mary and Joseph! 🙏

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

There's a reason religion (heavily intertwined with culture) has been universally prevalent throughout human history: because it works. It's been a pacifying and unifying force since the beginning. You don't have to believe any religious tenets to acknowledge this.
I disagree

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
"Thanks. You too." This thread brought to you by "How to Respond to 'Have a Nice Day' And Other Tricky Social Questions for Modern Hikikomori."

Again that's taking it to far. It's (dont take it personally) these type of reactions that make members second guess or stop making threads about some inner thought or experience they've had and want to share these. =(

Then again it's text and my interpretation could be way off

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Again that's taking it to far. It's (dont take it personally) these type of reactions that make members second guess or stop making threads about some inner thought or experience they've had and want to share these. =(

Then again it's text and my interpretation could be way off

I'm an agnostic and would never respond the way the OP responded. Why? Because the OP is needlessly engaging instead of disengaging with a simple "Thanks" and moving on.

. . .I'm not going to go into what I was actually thinking when reading the OP's question and instead just went the snarky route.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Some miscommunication perhaps. I'm not a native English speaker. I meant to say that whatever people think/believe/practice/etc, whatever it may be in this specific context of your OP resulted in a positively meant greeting and hope your day will be *good* then what's the problem. The intention was well meant. And that's becoming less and less common.

No double standards. This is why everybody is being an asshole to you. You chose to ignore a well intended greeting and instead told him whatever it was. That's your right but unnecessary imho.

I'm an agnostic and would never respond the way the OP responded. Why? Because the OP is needlessly engaging instead of disengaging with a simple "Thanks" and moving on.

. . .I'm not going to go into what I was actually thinking when reading the OP's question and instead just went the snarky route.

I'm known to be snarky it's all good. I take this forum to seriously to often. No offence meant man..

Romulus

Honest question, you think casually saying "Oh, I'm not a believer" is confrontational?"

You're giving it more energy than it deserves. 95% of the people that say that are just repeating what someone else said like "have a good one." It's mostly older people that used to go to church or their parents did, it's not some admission of "omg imma holy roller!"

Just say something that doesn't bait you into a potential conversation, just in case. But based on this thread, it sounds like you want that.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

See... why do you have to stink up the thread with this kind of stuff?

Here we all are pointing out to the OP that its unnecessary to tell someone you're an atheist just because they wish you a pleasant day, and here you are injecting your pro-religious attitude in exactly the same kind of unwarranted manner.

Chill. You believe what you do. Stop forcing that shit on other people. Or be prepared for atheists like me to rip your house of cards to shreds.

AJUMP23

Here we all are pointing out to the OP that its unnecessary to tell someone you're an atheist just because they wish you a pleasant day, and here you are injecting your pro-religious attitude in exactly the same kind of unwarranted manner.

Chill. You believe what you do. Stop forcing that shit on other people. Or be prepared for atheists like me to rip your house of cards to shreds.
neil degrasse tyson we got a badass over here GIF
'

and IAREVERYSMART all in one.

A4rMqDQ.gif

Top Bottom