• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you respond when someone tells you "Have a blessed one"?

Jsisto

Honestly, man, I would just ignore the religious aspect of it, appreciate the fact that someone is wishing you well, and return in kind with your greeting of choice. As someone who claims to be an atheist who believes in nothing, dont you find it a little ironic that it bothered you enough that you had to correct them? I just don’t feel like that’s a healthy mindset.

Cup my nuts and grunt.

NeHWAOz.gif

Winter John

Gold Member
I fuckin punch them in the fuckin face n then I get a fuckin baseball bat n fuckin smash them n the fuckin head n then I get a fuckin hammer n fuckin beat the fuckin shit out of them n then i get a fuckin can of fuckin gasoline n fuckin set fuckin fire to them n then I get a fuckin grenade n fuckin blow the shit out of them n then I get a fuckin steamroller n fuckin steam them into the fuckin sidewalk n then I go home n listen to fuckin Neutral Milk Hotel

Obviously this is for the atheists, agnostics, and apatheists. I usually reply "Oh, I'm not a believer" in a friendly tone with a smile. What say you heathens of NeoGAF?
I just wish him a blessed day back and I'm agnostic.

In fact, I have told people to have a 'blessed day' and have even said 'G-d bless you' and not when just someone sneezes.

I should say that while I'm agnostic, I'm leaning towards believing in G-d. In a way I would like to become a full-blown Jew as in practicing Judaism. I love the religion and out of the three abrahamic beliefs, I feel it's the least 'fire and brimstone'. In fact Hell (Gehinnom) really doesn't factor in much with Judaism and it's only a temporary place of punishment, not permanent.

Last edited:

Jennings

I don't live in the south so nobody says this to me on the regular. But when I'm in the south, at least in the area where I visit family, I just do as the Romans do so they don't band togeyher and kick my ass for being different.

Honest question, you think casually saying "Oh, I'm not a believer" is confrontational?"

It is confrontational because it's a level of open disagreement that isn't needed. An opposite equivalent might be you saying "happy holidays to you" and someone responding with "oh, I'm not an atheist, but Marry Christmas to you."

Less confrontational but still not agreeing would be "yeah man, Marry Christmas!" just as in your example, you could have just said "thanks, I hope you have a great day as well." Does that make sense?

Vestal

Gold Member
Honestly? Thank you. You as well.

I may not share their same religious beliefs or over all ideology, its just common courtesy. It doesn't mean I believe as they do, it simple means that I understand what they are trying to convey and I share a similar sentiment in my own way.

daveonezero

Banned
Oh bless your heart.

like truly. I hope you find true Joy and Peace.

Instead of trying to pluck a sliver from someone else’s eye for what they said maybe you should look at the plank in your own.

Believers don’t care if you share their view or not. That’s the whole point. They want others to be lead to Salvation as well. God doesn’t pick and choose who he love and blesses.

He loves all his children even the non who turned their back on him.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Who started a fight? Did not expect this level of vitriol from you all such an innocuous comment. Oh well it is what is should have known better.
It was a joke. I think you misconstrued what I was saying.

In the age of social media, ppl think it's better to start a fight over something so innocent, and then post the other person's reaction on the internet.

I wasn't accusing you of starting a fight, it was meant as a really sarcastic response to your appropriate assessment of the situation.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Snip. Herein lies the fault in your argument. I am not offended despite your claims. I'm not rude or mean when I say "Oh, I'm not a believer". I just want to normalize not being religious but I see that's an uphill battle going by some of these replies. No worries honestly did not expect such replies over such an innocuous comment.

To a believer, it comes off as rude. It's both polite and noncommittal to just say "thanks, you too" as others have said. You're not professing a religious belief and you're not NOT professing one either. It's neutral.

I say this AS a believer... It doesn't matter that ANYONE is non-religious ... What matters to MOST Jews, Muslims, Christians, etc is that you're polite. Words matter

Kagey K

Banned
To a believer, it comes off as rude. It's both polite and noncommittal to just say "thanks, you too" as others have said. You're not professing a religious belief and you're not NOT professing one either. It's neutral.

I say this AS a believer... It doesn't matter that ANYONE is non-religious ... What matters to MOST Jews, Muslims, Christians, etc is that you're polite. Words matter
In this day and age I think most people forget (or possibly have never known) what it's like to just be civil to each other.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I was expecting these passive aggressive replies thanks for not disappointing. Funny thing that, I'm not either I just say it so that they see we're "normal" people just like them.

Honest questions:

Do you say that to push your atheism in their face? Like you lot say you don't want religion pushed in yours? Is this a tit for tat?

Or do you think this way is your way to normalize atheism? Because it really isn't going to do that. Atheists are already normalized. More than being gay is.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Honest question:

Do you say that to push your atheism in their face? Like you lot say you don't want religion pushed in yours? Is this a tit for tat?
I don't push my "atheism" on randos if I get told God bless I will politely say I'm not religious.I said it in my original post but most people were too triggered to notice I guess. I say it so that people realize we're not the baby eating monsters they think we are. We're "normal" just like they are.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

If somebody says “I hope your day is great!”

And you replied “not possible, I hate everything”

It would create a unsocial awkwardness, right?

When a person says “have a blessed day”, their intent is to wish you the best day possible as to a believer, that is the pinnacle of hope (blessings).

So to counter that with anything other thank “you too” or a typical response, I would think, would create an awkward social moment for something relatively innocuous.

If someone says “shalom”, do you follow up with the same response as you do to what you assume is a Christian?

If you get a “hey bro”, do you spend time normalizing that you aren’t their kin?

Same vein. I mean this with no disrespect, just giving you a bit of perspective.

Their comment is a cultural / religious based greeting, but it’s just a form of well wishes. It isn’t intended to dig up your personal beliefs or debate IMO.

Kagey K

Banned
If somebody says “I hope your day is great!”

And you replied “not possible, I hate everything”

It would create a unsocial awkwardness, right?

When a person says “have a blessed day”, their intent is to wish you the best day possible as to a believer, that is the pinnacle of hope (blessings).

So to counter that with anything other thank “you too” or a typical response, I would think, would create an awkward social moment for something relatively innocuous.

If someone says “shalom”, do you follow up with the same response as you do to what you assume is a Christian?

If you get a “hey bro”, do you spend time normalizing that you aren’t their kin?

Same vein. I mean this with no disrespect, just giving you a bit of perspective.

Their comment is a cultural / religious based greeting, but it’s just a form of well wishes. It isn’t intended to dig up your personal beliefs or debate IMO.
This is the entire crux of it.

They are intending you well, as a simple greeting or passing. To turn around and make it a thing because it's not your preffered greeting or passing is just obnoxious and assumes you are better than them.

I don't take anybodys polite intentions as harmful because they aren't in my preffered language or religion.

Last edited:

nkarafo

eric cartman storm GIF by South Park

It's just a stupid customary thing or tradition. You don't have to inform everyone that you are so much smarter than them every time you get the chance.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Nobody says that here, and there also isn't a pressure to normalise being non-religious, because countries other than the US exist.

But if anybody did say that to me I just say cheers and maybe give them a friendly raised eyebrow, as is custom.

Amy Poehler Eyebrow GIF by Golden Globes

Top Bottom