• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you respond when someone tells you "Have a blessed one"?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
i-am-a-freethinker-i-am-an-individual-therefore-i-do-not-believe-in-silly-archaic-doctrines-or-follow-established-religion-like-the-mindless-sheep-you-all-are-i-am-intellectually-superior.jpg
That chin, though! :messenger_fearful:

Jsisto

A cashier once told me to “have a nice day!”, but it was already dark outside. Completely flabbergasted by their blatant disrespect for my superior conception of time, I replied “Excuse me, sir, day has passed, therefore it is impossible for me to have a good day”! He just looked at me strangely, which fueled my rage further. I just wanted to appear “normal”!

FunkMiller

If politely saying "I'm not a believer" with a smile makes someone uncomfortable I don't know what to tell you.

Why tho?

Why are you even bothering to tell them? It's not going to change how they feel, so what point does it serve?

Now, if someone is actively preaching about their beliefs, it's a different story. I'll shut that nonsensical garbage down. But just a brief, friendly comment? I see absolutely no reason to bring up my lack of belief to them, because they only reason to do so is because I want them to definitely know I'm an atheist.

Which is the same as fucking vegans, when they unprompted have to tell you that they are vegans. Same passive aggressive energy.

In short. Save your breath. It does no one any good, and accomplishes nothing.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Why tho?

Why are you even bothering to tell them? It's not going to change how they feel, so what point does it serve?

Now, if someone is actively preaching about their beliefs, it's a different story. I'll shut that nonsensical garbage down. But just a brief, friendly comment? I see absolutely no reason to bring up my lack of belief to them, because they only reason to do so is because I want them to definitely know I'm an atheist.

Which is the same as fucking vegans, when they unprompted have to tell you that they are vegans. Same passive aggressive energy.

In short. Save your breath. It does no one any good, and accomplishes nothing.
By these responses (not yours in particular) you'd think I was going around yelling at randos "there is no god!" 🤣

As an atheist I just say, “thanks, have a good one” or “you too, thanks”

I just won’t say “have a blessed one” to anyone because that’s not my lingo.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Honest question, you think casually saying "Oh, I'm not a believer" is confrontational?"
It's not confrontational it's just needlessly pedantic. I do have a nasty habit of replying 'Not likely' when people wish me a 'Good day' so I guess I understand the impulse, but I at least do it half jokey and only with people I know well.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
It's not confrontational it's just needlessly pedantic. I do have a nasty habit of replying 'Not likely' when people wish me a 'Good day' so I guess I understand the impulse, but I at least do it half jokey and only with people I know well.
If I'm having a bad day. I'll reply "Oh we're well past that point" it usually gets a chuckle.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nearly all greetings and salutations with a religious origin are colloquially secular in intention nowadays so there is no reason, as a receiver of such comments, to intentionally interpret it as religious.

This exchange:

"Goodbye" (God be with you)
"Sorry I'm not a believer"

Would be an equally pedantic and unnecessarily assburger response.

Kimahri

Banned
I'd probably blink in confusion for a sec or two because that's just not something people say around here, and then respond with something like "thanks, have a nice day"

OP, I’ve had my disagreements with your terrible opinions, but I’m ready to jump in front of the hail of bullets for you here.

I’ve never been wished a blessed day, but it’s certainly not a neutral comment. It’s a cheap way for Christians to act sanctimonious by offering an empty blessing they have no power to actually bestow, it’s repulsive to me. It’s also true some people may say it out of a cultural habit and aren’t intending to be overtly religious, but it certainly is religious.

All OP is doing is pointing out to these well meaning folks that they’re bringing up god totally unprompted, and expecting you to reciprocate. This makes them uncomfortable by bringing up the concept not everyone believes in their brand of fairly tales, which according to the responses in this thread is a complete asshole move.

It’s not your job to make sure everyone else is always comfortable. It makes me very uncomfortable when people try to bestow blessings from their imaginary friends unprompted, I don’t want any part of that. OP, you’re not an asshole. It will likely be interpreted as rude behavior without any self reflection from those casting judgment, not your problem though.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
OP, I’ve had my disagreements with your terrible opinions, but I’m ready to jump in front of the hail of bullets for you here.

I’ve never been wished a blessed day, but it’s certainly not a neutral comment. It’s a cheap way for Christians to act sanctimonious by offering an empty blessing they have no power to actually bestow, it’s repulsive to me. It’s also true some people may say it out of a cultural habit and aren’t intending to be overtly religious, but it certainly is religious.

All OP is doing is pointing out to these well meaning folks that they’re bringing up god totally unprompted, and expecting you to reciprocate. This makes them uncomfortable by bringing up the concept not everyone believes in their brand of fairly tales, which according to the responses in this thread is a complete asshole move.

It’s not your job to make sure everyone else is always comfortable. It makes me very uncomfortable when people try to bestow blessings from their imaginary friends unprompted, I don’t want any part of that. OP, you’re not an asshole. It will likely be interpreted as rude behavior without any self reflection from those casting judgment, not your problem though.
You get it, Thank you! Said more eloquently and succinctly than I ever could.

Last edited:
Top Bottom