• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you think Nintendo should handle Smash 4 Port on Switch?

Lets get this out of the way.. With rumors floating about since last year, and its popularity like Mario Kart 8--it's very likely it will happen. Hell, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't announced around E3.

So lets just say that Super Smash 4 gets the MK8 Deluxe treatment. It gets a brand new mode(or return of a mode from an older game), new characters, old and new stages new trophies, new custom moves, online adjustment and balance adjustment, as well as a possible graphical update(although wii u version is already 1080p 60fps)

How do you think they will(or how do you think they should) handle the port then?

I'm really really hoping:

DLC comeback and new content
-all DLC to make a comeback.. Or at least the characters and stages. DLC characters also get custom moves as well
returning and new characters: Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake(not likely sadly)and Inkling, along with their respective stages from brawl(or new). Perhaps another 1st or 3rd party newcomer(ARMs boxer comes to mind)

Singleplayer/Multiplayer
-Both 3DS and Wii U content are merged.. Including stage and mode exclusives
-Smash Run from 3DS makes a return. Available offline and online(with friends and with randoms)
-Mutliplayer smash tour gets a balance adjustment to make it less broken.. and its available online with friends and against randoms!
-tournament mode is included offline as well as with friends
-"new" story/adventure mode: Not like Subspace, but identical like adventure mode from melee makes a comeback

Character/Stage Balance
-character adjustment balance.. No notable nerfs for wii u characters, but buffs for some of the lower/mid tier characters. Custom moves also get rebalanced to nerf the broken ones, and there's a toggle off option to not include equipment(turned off in for glory mode)
-custom moves AND Miis are now available to play competitively(or down the road after launch) in for glory OR a separate mode.
-Option to remove hazards in stages in multiplayer for more viable/legal stages to play on

Oh and of course hopefully future dlc!

BONUS:Finally, In regards to graphical updates.. I'm not sure what they wil do considering Smash 4 iWii U s 1080p and 60fps, besides 720p 60fps in handheld, more stable framerate(if there's items galor) and eight Ice Climbers is possible now. I'm not expecting a bump in graphics if they treat this game like mk8.

BONUS 2: Gamecube controller compatibility or joycons that mimic gamecube controllers, including analog triggers. >_>
joy-con-ispirati-al-controller-gamecube-qualcuno-ci-ha-pensa

All for $60 retail. So.. what do you guys think?

Just include all the DLC.

Make the box cover have Cloud and I'll buy it.

Edit: I'm a casual player so I can't tell you what needs fixing

weekev

Banned
I think they should merge the 3ds and WiiU versions. Any feature that was exclusive to either will both be in the Switch version. Include ice climbers and
Snake...lol
and we're golden.

Have all the DLC and a few new characters. I would love a new single player adventure mode. Also, bring back Break The Targets.

I think they should merge the 3ds and WiiU versions. Any feature that was exclusive to either will both be in the Switch version. Include ice climbers and
Snake...lol
and we're golden.

oh geeze.. How did I forget that. >_> I should update the thread.

coughlanio

Snake...lol
and we're golden.

I wonder if they'll announce a Smash Deluxe for later this year, with an announcement for the next Smash game?

Oregano

I honestly think it's getting the Splatoon treatment. The team will have had long enough to make an iterative sequel with the same base.

I'm also not convinced Sakurai is directly involved.

SoulUnison

Banned
I know it's basically an impossible chance, but if Snake doesn't come back I don't see anything pushing me over the edge to triple-dip on the Switch version after 3DS and Wii U.

Especially considering that the Switch's online system will eventually cost money, while the 3DS and Wii U are still free.

Unison

I'd be fine with a straight port, all DLC, at least two new characters and two new stages (one should be Ice Climbers) and an integration of the 3DS' exclusive single-player mode and stages.

Delete Smash Tour, Replace with 3DS Smash Run. That mode was at least enjoyable. Or put in an adventure mode akin to Melee, I'd be fine with that too.

Jeffrey

The real question. What would it be named? Can't just name it smash for switch unless there won't be a proper sequel.

thedan001

I can see Smash 4 port for Switch happening

Not sure about new characters tho, they're not easy to design with balancing in mind

Everything else OP said is a definite

qko

I think you're on the right track of 3DS/Wii U content combined. And that's about it tbh. I don't see why Sega/Namco/Capcom/Square wouldn't lend their characters again.

Super Smash Bros Deluxe with all the content from 3DS and Wii U (characters, DLC skins, DLC Stages) in one package at $60 is a fine proposition if you ask me.

$60 Wii U, $40 3DS, and the extra $50-$70 of DLC packs should convince people that a $60 price tag on a Switch version of the game isn't bad at all.

Bonus: when Switch is portable, sure make it 720p, but stylize it like the 3DS did with the heavy borders around the characters.

Bare minimum:
- All DLC on the cartridge
- New characters, stages, music, trophies
- Events for DLC and new characters
- All custom moves unlocked from the beginning
- GCN controller support
- Bring back Wolf

Best-case scenario:
- More alternate costumes
- Adventure Mode and/or Smash Run
- Include 3DS-exclusive stages and trophies
- FE Roy is permanently removed from the series

I honestly think it's getting the Splatoon treatment. The team will have had long enough to make an iterative sequel with the same base.

I'm also not convinced Sakurai is directly involved.

If it's called "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch" and the changes are extensive/significant enough they can probably get away with calling it a sequel rather than a pure port.

Delete Smash Tour, Replace with 3DS Smash Run. That mode was at least enjoyable. Or put in an adventure mode akin to Melee, I'd be fine with that too.

I find smash tour to be incredibly fun at times and pretty underrated. It's a bit unfair vs single CPU(when unlocking certain challenges at least), but it can get really fun with real people. They just need to balance some of the items and gameplay. I'd love to play smash tour online!

Just include 3DS content (stages and (online!!) Smash Tour) and add a few new characters and I'm happy. Snake also isn't as unlikely as I would've said 6 months ago given the Bomberman relationship being successful.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
- All existing DLC included
- 3DS stages
- around 5 new fighters and stages (almost certainly Ice Climbers and Chorus Kids)
- alt costumes
- proper single player mode

They should just keep building on this base throughout the Switch lifespan, there is no need to make a full sequel that takes 5 years when the Switch hardware is only a modest leap over Wii U.

KingBroly

Banned
Include:
- All DLC
- All Content (Stages especially) and Modes
- All Special Moves unlocked from the start
- GCN Adapter Support

Add:
- Ice Climbers
- Ridley (Special 2-player only character, like Pacific Rim)
- Board the Platforms

Same as Mariokart. Add all the DLC and one extra arena and call it Smash Deluxe. Result = free millions of dollars for Nintendo.

Fans will buy it..

I wonder if they'll announce a Smash Deluxe for later this year, with an announcement for the next Smash game?

E3 is the perfect time to announce the deluxe version. If they announce Pokemon Stars and they BOTH come out by the end of the year, Switch will sell like crazy. I doubt it though, but Smash 4 port is more likely to be out this year imo(or early next year).

Our release date looks like this so far in regards of the biggest 1st party titles

June: Arms
July: Splatoon 2
October/November?: Xenoblade Chronicles 2(rumored)
Nov/Dec: Super Mario Odyssey

Fire Emblem Warriors is coming out this year too, and I'm guessing anytime between August to November.

SMash 4 deluxe could be announced at E3 and released in August/September/October.

Include:
- All DLC
- All Content (Stages especially) and Modes
- All Special Moves unlocked from the start
- GCN Adapter Support

Add:
- Ice Climbers
- Ridley (Special 2-player only character, like Pacific Rim)
- Board the Platforms

I don't mind unlocking special moves again.. But I don't like that random bullshit.. Or at least having repeatable stuff. Same with trophies.

I forgot about break the targets.heh. Hmm what if we get a season pass with break the targets and adventure mode in them, along with old vets? That would so be a Nintendo move. >_>

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
More single player content. I dunno whether that'll take the form of an adventure mode or what, but that's the one area where I felt Smash 4 was lacking. Fix that, and I frankly just don't even know how they could make it any better.

Include all the DLC characters, stages and Mii costumes
Include all Wii U AND 3DS exclusive stages
Include Smash Run mode
Ditch Smash Party or whatever it was called
Unlock all characters from the start
Make Wii U-GameCube Controller Adapter compatible with Switch in docked mode

That's all I want.
I don't care if they add anything that wasn't in the Wii U and/or 3DS version.
Just make this the ultimate version of Sm4sh.

Conan-san

More indies; Shovel Knight, Shantae, hell I'm pretty sure merely breathing looking in Inafune's Direction will give you GunVolt.

I'm thinking an iterative sequel (ala Street Fighter's "Super" or "Ultra" editions) on a ported engine, rather than a straight port. Much less work than a from-scratch sequel and arguably more justified outside of a big new feature for a proper sequel, but more content than a straight port, a nice balance. Also, I imagine it'd have all content from both 3DS and Wii U versions. Though, really, they should just drop Smash Tour, it's just a waste.

Also, it recently occurred to me how awesome it is that the Switch has a built-in means of local multiplayer that easily supports Smash. Seriously, crazy.

All the DLC characters and stages. Don´t know about 3ds stages, how hard it would be to make them hd.

Add 2-3 new characters and stages.

Casual fan so i don´t know what needs fixing. Seems fine to me.

Will be 60 bucks.

exfatal

All dlc and custom moves for those fighters. and the 3ds stages and smash run would be perfect. but what i expect is just the DLC

I'm thinking an iterative sequel on a ported engine, rather than a straight port. Much less work. Also, I imagine it'd have all content from both 3DS and Wii U versions. Though, really, they should just drop Smash Tour, it's just a waste.

Also, it recently occurred to me how awesome it is that the Switch has a built-in means of local multiplayer that easily supports Smash. Seriously, crazy.

Umm what? A sequel is NOT going to be less work than porting the game. Unless its totally half assed.

Smash Tour is great and should be back, but they should make it smaller on the menu. Hell the menu needs an overhaul. A virtual button for Single player modes should be on the main menu instead.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't mind unlocking special moves again.. But I don't like that random bullshit.. Or at least having repeatable stuff. Same with trophies.

I forgot about break the targets.heh. Hmm what if we get a season pass with break the targets and adventure mode in them, along with old vets? That would so be a Nintendo move. >_>

I did it 2 times before. I refuse to do it again. None of this 'oh, make it on 3DS and you can transfer it to Wii U, but you won't be able to modify it' bullshit.

I don't think it will get a smash port.

Nintendo only ever releases one of their "evergreens" per cycle, and they've already used up Mario Kart in the first year.

I think Smash Switch will be a sequel in a few years.

ZeoVGM

Banned
All I want is a port that combines all the content from Wii U and 3DS, with the 3DS stages looking extra pretty.

I did it 2 times before. I refuse to do it again. None of this 'oh, make it on 3DS and you can transfer it to Wii U, but you won't be able to modify it' bullshit.

I want something locked. ._.

But if its anything like MK8 deluxe, we'll likely have all the challenges, trophies, and custom moves locked again(or at least trophies).

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't think it will get a smash port.

It's coming. The new "Player 2" branded amiibo are almost definitely a preview of what's to come alongside a Switch pot.

]Nintendo only ever releases one of their "evergreens" per cycle, and they've already used up Mario Kart in the first year.

Zero chance they count a quick port of MK8 at the launch of Switch as "the" Mario Kart tile for the console, no matter what PR spin they try to put on it.

By the end of the Switch's lifetime, you will see MK9 or, more likely, Smash Kart.

I think there are 2 ways to handle it. One is to not do a port at all. It has been ages since the last smash bros game and over a year since any DLC release. There is no reason that they shouldn't be able to get a new game in the next 1-2 years. This would be a fairly significant update and not just a port like MK8D.

Otherwise I think they should release smash bros ultimate collection (whatever you want to name it). Basically it would be a port but with all the content from previous games included. Characters, maps etc. Maybe just a few new characters and content.

If they go for the port it really needs to be out this year or early next year. Any longer than that and there is no excuse for not just having a new game IMO.

It's coming. The new "Player 2" branded amiibo are almost definitely a preview of what's to come alongside a Switch pot.

Zero chance they count a quick port of MK8 at the launch of Switch as "the" Mario Kart tile for the console, no matter what PR spin they try to put on it.

By the end of the Switch's lifetime, you will see MK9 or, more likely, Smash Kart.
We'll see :p I'm just not super convinced. If MK9 is too late in the cycle then they'll end up in a BOTW situation again.

MK8D is going to sell really, REALLY well. Like, well enough that it would be hard to convince that many people to move over to MK9 well. Especially as it's basically a launch title so people will be grabbing it whenever they buy a switch.

Top Bottom