• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you think Nintendo should handle Smash 4 Port on Switch?

All stages/content from both versions, All DLC, and a couple of new characters, like fan requests like Ice Climbers. I for one would like to see Young Link, along with Toon Link. Also a few more retro stages.

Also, a nitpick here, but can we please call it Super Smash Bros. 4 Deluxe? Official name literally being "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U" always sounded dumb to me. Really dumb.

Hinchy

Also, a nitpick here, but can we please call it Super Smash Bros. 4 Deluxe? Official name literally being "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U" always sounded dumb to me. Really dumb.

For all the people mentioning "Smash Deluxe", it definitely won't be called that, considering that there already is a Smash Deluxe (it's the Japanese name for Melee).

Dryk

Honestly the things that would get the biggest applause from me are:

- Port the 3DS stages (I don't even care if the textures are still 3DS quality)
- Port Smash Run
- Port the 3DS Classic mode, rename the Wii U Classic mode

- Make custom moves settable from the character select
- Make custom moves easier to unlock
- Split custom moves from equipment. Fix it so that the Random character has no equipment when moves are turned on

- Add a hazard toggle (if you want to go all in do it My Music style)
- Bring back offline tourneys
- Swap the shoulder buttons back the way they're supposed to be

New characters would be nice but I don't need them, and this stuff is mostly simpler

I think there are 2 ways to handle it. One is to not do a port at all. It has been ages since the last smash bros game and over a year since any DLC release. There is no reason that they shouldn't be able to get a new game in the next 1-2 years. This would be a fairly significant update and not just a port like MK8D.

Otherwise I think they should release smash bros ultimate collection (whatever you want to name it). Basically it would be a port but with all the content from previous games included. Characters, maps etc. Maybe just a few new characters and content.

If they go for the port it really needs to be out this year or early next year. Any longer than that and there is no excuse for not just having a new game IMO.

Nah.. Considering how the Wii U sold and how many people that didn't buy a Wii U could buy Smash and Mario Kart, its really easy money to port the Wii U version with all the 3DS content with all the DLC. I can't think of any solid reason not to miss this opportunity. They don't have to add new content per se, but it would really help. If Nintendo came out with adventure mode, it would literally be that battlemode fix the wii u version of MK8 didn't have, and could have smash deluxe port retain a solid mid 90s score.

ZeoVGM

Banned
For all the people mentioning "Smash Deluxe", it definitely won't be called that, considering that there already is a Smash Deluxe (it's the Japanese name for Melee).

Would still work for the US and Europe.

But it will likely be called "Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch" to keep it line with the others.

If they go for the port it really needs to be out this year or early next year. Any longer than that and there is no excuse for not just having a new game IMO.
I agree, but I think that will happen. Nintendo will announce/show SSB4 Deluxe (or whatever it may be called) at this year's E3, and release it by year's end. SSB4 and Super Mario Oddesy would make a nice one-two punch for the holiday season.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
All the existing DLC + All the Stages and modes from Both Games + Like 2 new characters.

Then they will sell a bunch more DLC for that version.

Yukinari

Add a real intro like Melee. Brawl and Smash 4 have such shit intros AND the announcer doesnt scream the name of the game.

Bluth54

I would be pretty happy with all the DLC, the 3DS stages and modes ported over, maybe a few new/returning characters (Wolf and Ice Climbers seem like obvious returning character choices, maybe Inklings as new characters, possibly Charazard made Pokemon trainer again) and a few new or returning classic stages.

Umm what? A sequel is NOT going to be less work than porting the game. Unless its totally half assed.

Smash Tour is great and should be back, but they should make it smaller on the menu. Hell the menu needs an overhaul. A virtual button for Single player modes should be on the main menu instead.

Sorry, I goofed the wording of my post - what I actually meant was basically it'd be more work than a straight port but not as much as building another game from scratch. An "Ultimate" or "Super" edition ala Street Fighter would suit Smash fairly well and reasonably appropriate for a new platform, a full sequel wouldn't make sense outside of the addition of a new story mode or some other big new feature to justify it.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Would still work for the US and Europe.

But it will likely be called "Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch" to keep it line with the others.

I think that'd definitely be the title.

Give me all DLC and GameCube controller adapter compatibility, plus 4 player mixed joycon/pro controller/grip/gc controller multiplayer, and I'll be happy.

Obviously the adapter wouldn't work when not docked, but as long as all the other control schemes work, all good.

Clessidor

Nintendo only ever releases one of their "evergreens" per cycle, and they've already used up Mario Kart in the first year.

I think Smash Switch will be a sequel in a few years.
I personally would expect it to be an early 2018 title. So it would give them some more time for development and helps against software droughts in upcoming year.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I think that'd definitely be the title, but it really complicates releasing another Smash game on Switch from a marketing perspective.

It doesn't complicate it at all. "Super Smash Bros for Switch" in the fall, "Super Smash Bros. SubtitleGoesHere" three years later. They'll both sell millions and there will be no issue.

However, after Smash 4 and its sheer size (plus a port that would likely make it a bit bigger), I think the series could use a reboot, so perhaps a fresh name for a later Switch sequel will make complete sense.

lol they're not dropping the name "Super Smash Bros."

And there's no story so there's nothing to reboot.

I think that'd definitely be the title, but it really complicates releasing another Smash game on Switch from a marketing perspective.

How? That's like getting Forza Horizon 2 mixed up with Forza Horizon 3. They'll be called different things, if you're dumb enough to buy the wrong thing, sucks to be you, or return it for the other one.

Semajer

It will most likely to be a port that combines the content from the 3DS and Wii U versions with a few new and returning characters although I'd prefer they treat it as Smash 5 by combining all the content of Smash 4, giving it a substantial update with new content, and bringing back all the stages and characters from previous games as regular content updates over the years.

Rodin

- All the content from 3DS/WiiU with touched up 3DS stages
- All the DLCs included
- A few new characters and arenas (inklings, Elma, ice climbers, ribbon girl and spring man with relative stages)
- Offline tournaments

Do this (which i consider to be the bare minimum tbh) and i'm in at d1.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Announced at e3
Out on July alongside he amiibos
All the 3ds contents redone in wiiu + assets
All dlc contents and characters on disc, to be progressively unlocked by playing or by amiibo

And than forget it to pass to new games please

Alienous

Smash Bros. for Switch.

Nothing dramatic. New menus. All of the DLC. Perhaps a new single-player mode. New characters and stages - I'll take Snake and Inklings, with Motherbase and a Splatoon stage.

brinstar

I dunno how feasible this is but the dream scenario to me would be all the DLC + everything between 3DS and Wii U versions included in one package

marmoka

Banned
Essential:
- All DLCs included from the beginning.
- Wii U stages and 3DS stages included.
- Maintain the 1080p resolution and 60fps

A graphical upgrade of textures and illumination would be fine.

- Ice Climbers
- Inkling
- Rhythm Heaven character
- Spring Man
- Bomberman
- All DLC characters
- SOME of the 3DS stages... I personally feel like most of them are garbage. Give me Yoshi's Island, Pac-Maze, Birdman-less Magicant, and Corneria. That's about it.
- Splatoon stage, ARMS stage, Bomberman stage, RH stage.
- More trophies.
- Balance updates and maybe some small changes to overall gameplay.
- Make Bayonetta's default design her Bayo 1 outfit/hairdo.
- A rudimentary adventure mode similar to Melee's.
- A menu that isn't a mess
- A commitment to more balance updates and dlc.

They were smart and got rid of subtitles for the last entries so they could just call it Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch and pass it off as a non port with the above updates and a slightly different presentation. Seeing as it hasn't been announced yet but has been heavily rumored, I'm assuming that's probably what's going to happen.

Smash needs a gameplay reboot imo. Controversial opinion I'm sure, but Smash 4 is too convoluted and gimmick-based. I'd love for the series to return to a formula similar to 64, so in essence Smash 64 2 lol.

But since that won't happen, just add Bomberman.

- All of the 3DS and Wii U content + DLC in one place on disc
- This includes Smash Run, which is updated to have characters able to interact with each other within a session, and there is an options menu to change time limits and rules
- 3 vets: Ice Climbers, Snake, Wolf
- 3 Newcomers: Inklings, Ridley (the dream will never die), King K. Rool (never die I tell you)
- Separate Alph from Olimar as originally planned, give Alph Rock Pikmin to use to differentiate him.
- A proportional amount of new/returning stages not in Smash 3DS/Wii U
- A full rebalance of the roster, focusing on getting the lower half of the tier list caught up (#BuffThePuff)
- Custom moves for the previously DLC characters and the newly added ones.
- Break the Targets/Board the Platforms/Race to the Finish
- Player 2 amiibos for the remaining characters with alternate costumes like Robin and Wii Fit Trainer
- If they're feeling particularly generous, a new wave of DLC just like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is inevitably going to get. This is where I'd be ok with an ARMS character making it in once the series has had a chance to prove itself. Let the game prove it's actually worthwhile before it earns a character slot in Nintendo's most prestigious crossover. Same with new-on-the scene indies like Yooka-Laylee, who are way too new to get anywhere near this game. They need to be at least the level of Shovel Knight/Shantae to even be considered imo.

There's no way in hell all of this will happen but this is how they SHOULD do it.

Nov 2017 - Smash Celebration $50

Smash 64 remaster
Melee straight port with new graphic options added
Music player featuring songs from every game
documentary

May 2017 - Smash Wii U port
Crappy mini games removed
Classic melee homerun
Resdesigned UI
All DLC

MoogleMan

I think they'll announce it at e3 this year to launch with their paid online service.
Probably a deluxe edition like mario kart 8 with all dlc and a few new tidbits to keep things sorta fresh. Also, probably compatibility with the wii u smash gc controller adapter or a rebrand/launch of that.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't complicate it at all. "Super Smash Bros for Switch" in the fall, "Super Smash Bros. SubtitleGoesHere" three years later. They'll both sell millions and there will be no issue.

lol they're not dropping the name "Super Smash Bros."

And there's no story so there's nothing to reboot.

How? That's like getting Forza Horizon 2 mixed up with Forza Horizon 3. They'll be called different things, if you're dumb enough to buy the wrong thing, sucks to be you, or return it for the other one.

It seems my post was poorly worded. My apologies.

I meant that it complicates things from a marketing perspective (to be specific, I'm thinking of the company-wide naming practices that fall under marketing responsibilities at a company) because Nintendo has historically used a system's name in a title when it was the only entry on a system. For example, Mario Kart 64, DS and Wii became the only Mario Kart games on those systems. Smash Bros. just did something similar with Wii U and 3DS. I was thinking of how, AFAIK, Nintendo has traditionally used a console title in their games when they've positioned a title as the franchise entry for that console generation. I was attempting to think about marketing here in the way that internal brand managers might and called it a complication because it deviates from past company policy (from what I can tell) if/when the next SSB game releases on Switch. That's not to say that I was thinking of it correctly; it was just speculation about internal brand policy and how it is executed.

I agree that a sequel would use a new subtitle like past games. What I meant by "reboot" was something that breaks Smash's pattern of sequential growth and expansion with more modes, characters, music, trophies, etc. with each entry. I would not be surprised if Smash 5 is a refocusing of the franchise rather than another attempt at 1-upping the game that came before it in terms of scale. "reboot" was poor word choice without proper explanation because of its connotations and meanings for other media. I can't imagine Nintendo ever dropping the Super Smash Bros. name.

I suspect I'm still not communicating my thoughts well. I can summarize my thoughts on what Nintendo will do as the following:

I expect a Smash 4 port to be called Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch. In X amount of years, when the next Smash game is made, I expect it to be called Super Smash Bros. _______.

This is easy, have all the stages, modes, and content of the 3ds and Wii u together on this version, all the dlc, and a few new characters. 60 dollars from my pocket easy.

FinalAres

Sorry, I goofed the wording of my post - what I actually meant was basically it'd be more work than a straight port but not as much as building another game from scratch. An "Ultimate" or "Super" edition ala Street Fighter would suit Smash fairly well and reasonably appropriate for a new platform, a full sequel wouldn't make sense outside of the addition of a new story mode or some other big new feature to justify it.

See I imagine a game that is branded entirely as a sequel, but still built off the foundations of Smash 4.

Maybe this time it could even be called Super Smash Bros. 5

deleted

If we get new stuff or the Deluxe treatment, I'm hoping for this:

• Stage hazard triggers
  • Offline Tournaments and maybe online rooms like Mario Kart
  • All exclusive Stages from the 3DS version (I want the Great Fox back)
  • All prior DLC

I'd love some more characters and I could see the Inklings making the cut, IF they can figure out some splat things with the engine. I'd also love someone from ARMS and King K. Rool as always. If there is another 3rd Party character, I'd have my bets on Bomberman.

Farmboy

Honestly if they merge the content of both versions plus all the DLC and maybe reinstate the Ice Climbers, they have a huge hit and a very complete title.

They can then do another DLC package down the road.

Top Bottom