• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you think Nintendo should handle Smash 4 Port on Switch?

All Trophies from all games with all descriptions, so when you collect Mario you can toggle between Wii Mario, Wii U Mario, etc.

Stop letting us get duplicate trophies and moves, it continues to be bullshit.

Fix the horrible menus.

Parshias7

It's coming. The new "Player 2" branded amiibo are almost definitely a preview of what's to come alongside a Switch pot.

I don't know if the "Player 2" amiibo are necessarily the indicator that a Smash 4 port is coming so much as amiibo in general.

Here's the situation Nintendo is in: they have a shitload of amiibo out on the market right now. As of this moment, only a tiny fraction of these amiibo even work with their hot new system, those being the Zelda amiibo in BotW. Sure, technically you can scan a Mario amiibo in Zelda and get some mushrooms or whatever, but nobody's going to go out and buy a non-Zelda amiibo just for that.

So Nintendo needs a reason for new customers to go buy the zillion+ amiibo that are already out on store shelves. And what game uses the majority of Nintendo's amiibo output so far? Smash 4. So they'll put in on Switch so that there's a reason for people to pick up that nice new Corrin amiibo. Or that Shulk amiibo. Or that ROB amiibo.

Raitaro

Add Simon Belmont + Castlevania stage and include a Captain N inspired story mode where your own mii replaces Captain N.

I'd be happy with just Simon and his stage as well.

Though I did miss a more fleshed out singleplayer mode to be honest.

Edit: an Inkling + Splatoon stage might perhaps be more likely, which I'm fine with as well.

Neoxon

• 2 or 3 new characters (Ice Climbers, Inkling, & maybe Spring Man)
  • A good chunk, if not all, of the 3DS's stages
  • All of Smash 4's DLC available from the start
  • A Breath of the Wild Link Mii Costume for the Mii Swordsman
  • New stages (ones for Splatoon & ARMS if they're represented)
If we do end up getting Konami representation, as much as I love Bomberman, I'd rather they bring Snake back (for Jawmuncher's sake).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think people are going to be surprised by Smash for Switch whenever they are going to announce the game.

Here's my post from other thread,

I think some people who owned Smash 4 for 3DS or Wii U and DLC probably would agreed with you there. I found out that most people I know aren't interested to pick up Smash for Switch if the rumor is true about two characters only and it received only minimal contents.

They doesn't really want to waste their money on the game for two characters. Even couple of people said they don't really want to pay 30 dollars per (two) characters since they don't really care about stages or anything else. Even Sakurai acknowledged that characters are the source that would bring the excitement to the franchise.

That's why I felt that we are in sticky situation with Smash for Switch and it's hard to predict what would happens.

For me, I'm more likely to buy Super Smash Bros for Switch on day 1 because I'm a sucker for Super Smash Bros franchise even I probably wouldn't have a good numbers of people to play with online if they chose to not buy the game in term of minimal contents.

I have seen many people saying exactly same things about not picking up the game if it only have small numbers of new contents, and I would like to see good numbers of new contents so friends would reconsider the purchase for upcoming Smash.

I'm not asking too much but It would be nice if we are going to get 3-6 characters. Inkling, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Solid Snake, Rhythm Heaven, etc are very welcome to be part of new game, along with outstanding roster of 58 characters (in Smash 3DS/U).

Rodin

I'm down for everything you mentioned OP.

All I'd want added is Snake and freaking KOSMOS.

Bah to KOSMOS, if you're that gagging for a Namco represtitive this side of the 90's then Lloyd for sure.
KOSMOS and Lloyd are both fine, just keep Snake out of this

Just include all the DLC (even Cloud) and up the resolution to 1080p docked and 720p portable.

Sorted.
Smash is already 1080p on wii u.

jwillenn

attention to:
-online mode
-training mode
-melee mode
-custom moves reevaluated for standard play, access applied to a unique meter mechanic
-balance
-new character release schedule (including Snake with SMI)
-all content unlocked (optional)
-quick official stage customization (mix any background with any stage's floating/moving platforms with any main (stage) platforms)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
JUST GET IT OUT ASAP

That's my only issue. I don't mind Kart Deluxe being so close to launch.

That being said the longer it takes the more I'm kinda salty about it all. If we aren't getting a port of a years old game till next year that pushes the next NEW entry even further down the line. Just get it out.

sinonobu

Banned
I want Inklings / Spring man & Ribbon Girl / Issac for 1st party rep and Phoneix Wright / Prof Layton / Lloyd / Taiko Drums for third party rep.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
JUST GET IT OUT ASAP

That being said the longer it takes the more I'm kinda salty about it all. If we aren't getting a port of a years old game till next year that pushes the next NEW entry even further down the line. Just get it out.

What if this smash is our new entry in term of contents? That's something you need to think about.

Sakurai rarely port the games without new contents. (I think it haven't happens but I'm going to say rarely just in case)

Ascenion

JUST GET IT OUT ASAP

Honestly I'd rather just have Smash 5. Same goes for Mario Kart. MK9 is my preference and I'm willing to wait. Porting these 2-3 year old titles just doesn't sit right with me, because it feels like the sequels you usually get per Nintendo console won't happen.

Peltz

I honestly think it's getting the Splatoon treatment. The team will have had long enough to make an iterative sequel with the same base.

I'm also not convinced Sakurai is directly involved.

You think Nintendo is going to recommission Bandai-Namco to make more content? I have a feeling this will be more a port job by a different studio.

I don't know if the "Player 2" amiibo are necessarily the indicator that a Smash 4 port is coming so much as amiibo in general.

Here's the situation Nintendo is in: they have a shitload of amiibo out on the market right now. As of this moment, only a tiny fraction of these amiibo even work with their hot new system, those being the Zelda amiibo in BotW. Sure, technically you can scan a Mario amiibo in Zelda and get some mushrooms or whatever, but nobody's going to go out and buy a non-Zelda amiibo just for that.

So Nintendo needs a reason for new customers to go buy the zillion+ amiibo that are already out on store shelves. And what game uses the majority of Nintendo's amiibo output so far? Smash 4. So they'll put in on Switch so that there's a reason for people to pick up that nice new Corrin amiibo. Or that Shulk amiibo. Or that ROB amiibo.

I don't think Nintendo is going to make software out of concern for amiibo sales. Amiibo were important when the Wii U was selling poorly... as was the NES Classic. But now that the Switch is doing well, amiibo is just a secondary/alternative revenue stream for them.

I don't think the amiibo push will be as hard this generation as it was when they were new. Nintendo would be foolish to emphasize them as an important part of their financial future at this point.

kirby_fox

Banned
How they should handle it: Smash 5 using Smash 4 as a base. Fix menus, fix single player mode to be more like older games, add an adventure mode, upgrade all 3DS stages and modes and include them, fix and add more to create a stage, include all DLC characters/stages in base, add 2 new characters and majority of vets, Alpha toggle switch for hazards, add in a few returning stages and new ones for new characters, GCN controller compatibility when in dock mode, more plans for DLC characters and stages.

How I expect them to handle it: Smash for Wii U with the DLC, Inklings, and one new stage based on Inklings. One new mode. $60.

Announced at e3
Out on July alongside he amiibos
All the 3ds contents redone in wiiu + assets
All dlc contents and characters on disc, to be progressively unlocked by playing or by amiibo

And than forget it to pass to new games please
July isn't happening because Splatoon 2 is out in July. If its coming out this year, our best bet is August-November, and that doesn't include potential releases of FE Warriors and Xenoblade Chronicles this year, which likely won't release the same month as smash 4 port.

Give me the Wii U version, DLC included, and a few additions/changes, I'd gobble it up.

-Brawl-style Tournament Mode
-A few new stages or 3DS ones remade
-Ice Climbers, Wolf, and the Inklings
-Completely remade characters: BotW Link, BotW Zelda, Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf, Star Fox Zero Fox, SFZ Falco, Paired Up Lucina and Chrom, etc.
-Continue to work on DLC for the rest of the year: A few new stages; new characters (ARMS characters? Xenoblade 2? Bomberman? Dragon Quest? Something from Level-5?).

Top Bottom