• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does GAF feel about fast food companies advertising to children?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I went to a house meeting about some grass roots campaign to get mcdonalds to stop advertising to children, stop happy meal toys if the happy meals cannot meet a basic nutritional requirement, and to retire ronald mcdonald. Obviously everyone at the house meeting was all for that, but i was interested in seeing what the reaction would be in a more diverse group of people.

As for me, I'm about 75% on board with this, mostly because I'm in a medical profession (or about to be anyway) so it has consequences in my line of work. Fast food ads directed at kids have obvious consequences in terms of individual health, public health, health care costs, etc. The American Association of Pediatrics policy is more or less against advertising fast food to children (among other things) (see: http://www.aap.org/advocacy/washing/Testimonies-Statements-Petitions/dr_ Shifrin_remarks.htm ) and ( http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;118/6/2563 ).

Children are more or less defenseless to advertising, and the ftc has admitted to this, saying that it is unfair and deceptive. However, there are no regulations regarding advertising to children in this country because the ftc deemed them impractical and likely ineffective (i partly disagree with the former, definitely disagree with the latter) http://www.ftc.gov/speeches/beales/040802adstokids.pdf Some countries have bans on tv advertising to children (norway, sweden, others), while many others have some regulation but not an outright ban. Characters such as Joe Camel were discontinued because of the intent to build brand loyalty to unhealthy products at a young age. The case is a little more cut and dry (but not totally) with tobacco, but with fast food, it's a different story.

However, I also feel that laying all the blame on advertising absolves parents of responsibility, and I don't want that to happen. Also, on a per calorie basis, fast food is the cheapest food available to most lower income people, and I think if they had the option of feeling full but being unhealthy vs. being healthy but hungrier, they would take the unhealthy option every single time. And for some people, crappy food is really the only option as far as survival goes.

So what does gaf think?

CrankyJay

Banned
I don't think ANY company should be directly advertising to children.

edit: I worked at a grocery store and there wasn't a day that went by without a kid asking mom or dad to buy them "Lunchables" that were in the bright yellow packaging. It was placed on purpose at children height in the refrigerator case, because companies pay extra money for product place. It's a bunch of bullshit, and 9/10 the parent would give in.

thestatics

Neo Member
A childs nutritional intake is entirely the responsibility of the parent.

Advertising, unless the parent is gloriously weak is irrelevant.

CrankyJay

Banned
thestatics said:

In some European countries it's illegal to directly market to children under 12 (???), and they're doing just fine. America has a real obesity problem...more so than other countries that have policies like this in place.

thestatics said:

I don't see how advertising is irrelevant, there are plenty of studies including the FTC document I linked to that connect advertising to children with some kind of negative response, in terms of nutrition/economic effect. The FTC doc also basically admits that children are powerless against advertising. Of course you can't prove a direct effect without a well controlled study, but that would be hugely impractical and mostly unethical.

shortyme

thestatics said:

This is pretty much how I feel about this. Toys get advertised directly to kids and you don't see parents going out and buying everything their kid sees on tv. You can say no to toys, you can say no to fast food. Its not that hard.

Yeah, they were banned in Britain a while ago I believe. No direct ad's on TV directed at kids for most of the fast food outlets.

owlbeak

bggrthnjsus said:
So what does gaf think?
kBd37.gif

Granted there is obviously a huge role of parental responsibility, but don't people think that this advertising plays some role undermining parents?

Ferrio

Banned
bggrthnjsus said:
Granted there is obviously a huge role of parental responsibility, but don't people think that this advertising plays some role undermining parents?

Unless they're coming to your door giving your kids burgers.... no

bggrthnjsus said:

when I'm a parent my kids will eat what i allow them to. no amount of advertising or begging from my kids will get me to change that.

MaddenNFL64

Well, let's get down to brass tacks. TV/modern advertising is stimulus no fucking parent can compete with. Only recourse is to ween your kids, and yourself off that stimulus. If you do that, your kid won't give a shit about McDonalds. Nor will you.

Ya, this shit is way easier said than done. I grew up on TV & games myself.

Obviously I would like it if everyone were a good enough parent to control their children's nutritional intake, but I think that is even more impractical than regulating the advertising.

Zoe

thestatics said:

This.

CrankyJay

Banned
thestatics said:

This is the ideal scenario.

Now let's talk about the real scenario.

Like I posted above from my experience, the majority of parents out there are weak. If the advertising is strong enough to affect the majority, then society has a responsibility to enact laws to protect the majority.

SolKane

The problem is that advertising works on a subconscious level. Just turning off the TV isn't enough, as long as the logos are around - that's advertising in some form. The best advertisement McDonald's has is the flying standard they have outside every restaurant, the "Golden Arches." You can't really turn these off. Part of the reason I hate driving is I'm bombarded by advertisements in every form.

CrankyJay

Banned
Drkirby said:
What about Toys? Or should they just aim for OCD basement dwelling collectors.

Everything. Including toys.

Sweden, since 1991 has banned all advertising during children’s prime time due to findings that children under 10 are incapable of telling the difference between a commercial and a program, and cannot understand the purpose of a commercial until the age of 12.

I'm a parent.

I don't care what the commercials are, my kids eat what I say when I say it. That may sound harsh, but there's a lot of parents that want to either be a "cool" parent or their kids friend or would rather give in than fight it out.

My wife and I make sure the kids eat a well rounded diet. If other parents would rather have their kids morbidly obese at 10 years old than nut up and be a parent, breaks of the game.

alphaNoid

Banned
I dont care 1 bit, they can advertise all they want to my son. Why? Because the buck stops with me as a parent. I buy what I want and I'm responsible. I'll add that I would have no problem starting my own advertising company targeting kids.. seems like a great business after reading this thread.

thestatics

Neo Member
"Like I posted above from my experience, the majority of parents out there are weak. If the advertising is strong enough to affect the majority, then society has a responsibility to enact laws to protect the majority."

I honestly find this staggering. So, what is your child going to do if you don't buy them a McDonald's? Cry? Tantrum? Can't be much more than than that surely.

A law to prevent advertising to people that don't have the economic capability to actually buy what's being advertised? Good grief.

Jobiensis

bggrthnjsus said:

They shouldn't advertise to kids. There is no benefit to it.

I'm actually kind of surprised how many people put this solely on the parents. I definitely think they play a big part. However, I think when a generation of Americans' health is concerned, everyone, not just the parents/children, will end up paying for it eventually through rising health care costs (though obviously that wouldn't be the only thing contributing).

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
thestatics said:

Nailed it!

It's the parents job to tell their child "no". If your kid is forcing you to go into the McDonald's drive-thru, then there are a lot of other issues to address in addition to nutrition.

SolKane said:
The problem is that advertising works on a subconscious level. Just turning off the TV isn't enough, as long as the logos are around - that's advertising in some form. The best advertisement McDonald's has is the flying standard they have outside every restaurant, the "Golden Arches." You can't really turn these off. Part of the reason I hate driving is I'm bombarded by advertisements in every form.

now getting rid of drive by advertisements is something i could get behind.

the TV is a specific thing paid for by advertisements, so it makes sense to advertise there. but advertising in my frickin airspace is annoying. i can't avoid these advertisements, i can turn off the TV or the radio, or throw away a magazine. but advertisements will always be in your face on the road.

Jobiensis said:
They shouldn't advertise to kids. There is no benefit to it.

I'm not saying they should advertise to kids, i could always do with less advertising.

Empty

i don't really like advertising to children in general to begin with, so i'm already against it on that front, but yes i think it is bad, especially given levels of child obesity in america and the need to teach good diets from an early age is hurt by bombarding junk food ads at them, and i think it should be banned.

CrankyJay

Banned
bggrthnjsus said:
I'm actually kind of surprised how many people put this solely on the parents. I definitely think they play a big part. However, I think when a generation of Americans' health is concerned, everyone, not just the parents/children, will end up paying for it eventually through rising health care costs (though obviously that wouldn't be the only thing contributing).

I was going to make this point about healthcare as well.

People on GAF don't give a fuck because they're perfect parents or not even parents at all so it's not their problem. Well..guess what...it's everyone's problem because the reality is most parents outside of GAF give in to their fucking kids, and it's going to cost all of us.

Mudkips

Banned
I don't think they should ban advertising fast food (or toys or cigarettes or the military or violence or deadly bees or nuclear arms) to kids. Parents need to parent.

bggrthnjsus said:
Also, on a per calorie basis, fast food is the cheapest food available to most lower income people

The ol' "poor people can't afford healthy food" line.
It's completely untrue. You can go to Subway and get a $5 foot long, go to Taco Bell and the $5 box, whatever. Or you could go to the grocery store and buy some bread meat and cheese that will make many meals. Staple foods (flour, rice, potatoes, corn) are dirt cheap. The issue is people don't want to fucking cook and they prefer the taste of fast food. Fast food is absolutely more expensive than cooking your own food.

I'm just going to ignore the "on a per calorie basis" part of your statement because no one living off of fast food is aiming at a 2000/2500 daily calorie target. I bet there are menu items that are cheaper on a per-calorie basis than basic foods, but those cases would be a mark against fast food. Affordable or not, you don't need a triple whopper with king size fries and a shake.

I rarely do but if I take my kids to McD's, they don't actually eat any of the food. They only want whatever 'toy' comes in the box and maybe drink the milk.

CrankyJay said:
I was going to make this point about healthcare as well.

People on GAF don't give a fuck because they're perfect parents or not even parents at all so it's not their problem. Well..guess what...it's everyone's problem because the reality is most parents outside of GAF give in to their fucking kids, and it's going to cost all of us.
A big part of it is that people see this kind of regulation as a license to be irresponsible parents, which I don't completely disagree with. Regulation would be some degree of giving in. On the other hand, it's more important to be practical than to be right.

CrankyJay

Banned
Mudkips said:
I don't think they should ban advertising fast food (or toys or cigarettes or the military or violence or deadly bees or nuclear arms) to kids. Parents need to parent.

Sure they do...but we know they don't.

Apath

CrankyJay said:
In some European countries it's illegal to directly market to children under 12 (???), and they're doing just fine. America has a real obesity problem...more so than other countries that have policies like this in place.
Are you implying that the obesity issue could be solved via not marketing to children under 12?

CrankyJay

Banned
bggrthnjsus said:
A big part of it is that people see this kind of regulation as a license to be irresponsible parents, which I don't completely disagree with. Regulation would be some degree of giving in. On the other hand, it's more important to be practical than to be right.

I'm not advocating absolving parents from doing their jobs, but clearly tons are not. Children are fatter than ever. It's time to try a different approach to advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom