• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does GAF feel about fast food companies advertising to children?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flo_Evans said:
Well I think it is more complex than that. I don't think you can blame advertising solely for the problem of rampant consumerism. Certain brands have a status associated with them, marketing actively tries to tap into this and associate owning certain products with superiority. I don't believe that advertising is the cause of this kind of society, rather the symptom.

I agree for the most part, although symptoms can become causes in the long run. And who the hell said that marketing is an unstoppable force? There is no one boogeyman, no one cause. I'm just trying to say that it's possible that advertising to children is on the whole, bad for society.

Interesting viewpoints by all. I'm in the camp who believes education, above all else, is the most reasonable and practical solution to combat childhood obesity. It goes for parents and kids. People just don't understand nutrition. I wouldn't be surprised if most people couldn't tell you the difference between fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. Fast food advertising is exploiting the population's general lack of knowledge.

I suppose you can say I view the dangers of targeted advertising toward kids as a symptom rather than a cause. We can certainly eliminate the symptom and feel like the problem is getting better. For myself, I wouldn't raise an objection if the government regulated fast food advertising targeted at kids. The issue is how it obfuscates the problem and puts a bandage on it.

-_-

Banned
Parents are responsible for their kid's nutrition so advertising no matter how clever is effective if only the parent decides to cave in. Still I'm pretty sure kids just want the happy meal for the crappy toy but I haven't walked in fast food joint or seen a commercial for a while.

I do have a slight respect for chains that offer healthier options (water, juice, fruit), but I still abhor fast food.

Enron

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Some of you have strange ideas about what marketing is or isn't responsible for. Or what it actual does. I hate to sound like a broken record, but some of you think marketing is an unstoppable force - that nothing, nothing can defeat a well-created advertisement.

They wouldn't think that if they actually went to business school. The Marketing majors were by far the dumbest bricks at the Terry College of Business at UGA. Even dumber than the actual bricks.

Ilúvatar

When it comes down to it, parents are responsible for the welfare of their children. Period. This includes what said children ingest and where they ingest it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Devolution said:
Advertising is insidious and I say this as someone who is basically going to work in it later. Have you ever sat in on a marking meeting? Designed a brand for an establishment? Do you know where you start? The first thing you target is the heart and minds of people. You choose colors, images, themes based on getting a person to choose your company above all others. Even something as simple as a logo is at its core, hours of work of pinning down a story you want to sell to people. Most people won't even see it overtly, it will be mostly be a subliminal message.

You can tell by the questions posed to people, most of the time they can't pinpoint what about a certain brand specifically makes them purchase it but they can tell you the feelings they get when they see it, or how much the advertising appeals to how they view themselves.

When people downplay the role of advertising or branding they're not really doing anyone a service, and instead trying to make themselves feel superior or something.

Yeah...it's kind of cute that you tried to pull the "I know what I'm talking about, I'm basically going to work in in later." (Basically....later? Hell, you may have a future in the biz after all!) But it's not like I make a secret of what I do or anything. I am currently working in marketing and public relations and have for 4-5 years. Nice lecture though!

Enron said:
They wouldn't think that if they actually went to business school. The Marketing majors were by far the dumbest bricks at the Terry College of Business at UGA. Even dumber than the actual bricks.

Ouch. If it helps you any, one of my teachers said that the best way to reach the common market is to "play dumb." Nobody likes being talked down to, especially by a marketing rep. So...maybe that was it?

It wasn't. We're largely a stupid people, fueled entirely by booze and lies.

JayDubya

Banned
WanderingWind said:
I am currently working in marketing and public relations and have for 4-5 years

AH-HAH! So you are trying to market to us the idea that marketing doesn't work! We know your game, you blackguard!

WanderingWind

JayDubya said:
AH-HAH! So you are trying to market to us the idea that marketing doesn't work! We know your game, you blackguard!

...wanna buy a yacht?

EDIT: To add to my villainy, I was previously a chef and restaurateur!

daw840

WanderingWind said:
...wanna buy a yacht?

EDIT: To add to my villainy, I was previously a chef and restaurateur!

Its OK, it could be worse. You could be like me. My entire post college career has consisted of 1.5 years as an automotive bill collector and 5 years as an automotive claims adjuster. 2 of the most hated professions in the modern world.

WanderingWind said:
Yeah...it's kind of cute that you tried to pull the "I know what I'm talking about, I'm basically going to work in in later." (Basically....later? Hell, you may have a future in the biz after all!) But it's not like I make a secret of what I do or anything. I am currently working in marketing and public relations and have for 4-5 years. Nice lecture though!

Then you have no excuse acting willfully ignorant. The best advertising is the most insidious.

Shanadeus

Banned
Devolution said:
Then you have no excuse acting willfully ignorant. The best advertising is the most insidious.
He's being insidious right now by acting wilfully ignorant.

438px-Cocacola-5cents-1900_edit1.jpg

remnant

Banned
bggrthnjsus said:
Recently I went to a house meeting about some grass roots campaign to get mcdonalds to stop advertising to children, stop happy meal toys if the happy meals cannot meet a basic nutritional requirement, and to retire ronald mcdonald. Obviously everyone at the house meeting was all for that, but i was interested in seeing what the reaction would be in a more diverse group of people.

As for me, I'm about 75% on board with this, mostly because I'm in a medical profession (or about to be anyway) so it has consequences in my line of work. Fast food ads directed at kids have obvious consequences in terms of individual health, public health, health care costs, etc. The American Association of Pediatrics policy is more or less against advertising fast food to children (among other things) (see: http://www.aap.org/advocacy/washing/Testimonies-Statements-Petitions/dr_ Shifrin_remarks.htm ) and ( http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;118/6/2563 ).

Children are more or less defenseless to advertising, and the ftc has admitted to this, saying that it is unfair and deceptive. However, there are no regulations regarding advertising to children in this country because the ftc deemed them impractical and likely ineffective (i partly disagree with the former, definitely disagree with the latter) http://www.ftc.gov/speeches/beales/040802adstokids.pdf Some countries have bans on tv advertising to children (norway, sweden, others), while many others have some regulation but not an outright ban. Characters such as Joe Camel were discontinued because of the intent to build brand loyalty to unhealthy products at a young age. The case is a little more cut and dry (but not totally) with tobacco, but with fast food, it's a different story.

However, I also feel that laying all the blame on advertising absolves parents of responsibility, and I don't want that to happen. Also, on a per calorie basis, fast food is the cheapest food available to most lower income people, and I think if they had the option of feeling full but being unhealthy vs. being healthy but hungrier, they would take the unhealthy option every single time. And for some people, crappy food is really the only option as far as survival goes.

So what does gaf think?
I think if those people really give a crap about kids, they would stop focusing on McDonalds, and turn your ire to the fact that Americans eat way to many carbs in all their meals, much less fast food and that behavior is actively encouraged by our government.

A kid eating the corn dogs, burrito's, taco's grilled cheese, pizza, all types of carb heavy food at school, 5 days of week is much worse than a happy meal.

WanderingWind

Devolution said:

You: Ads are insidious and I know this because I am basically going to work in marketing one day.
Me: Well, I work in marketing now, and I disagree.
You: You're willfully ignorant.
Me: ...

Let me put it this way. You see targeted marketing as insidious. I don't see how attempting to know your audience and attempting to tailor your product to fit their needs and desires as insidious. But, if you think that selling your product is inherently negative, than we really don't have much to discuss. And yes, "insidious" is negative and yes, I still disagree that there is anything insidious about marketing.

By the way, the best advertising is NOT insidious (as you claim), especially in an age where you're one Google search away from knowing whether or not you're being lied to. The best advertising is targeted, which is largely what you were speaking about.

EYEL1NER said:
I thought you just got out of the military recently. Someone else?

Still in, actually. 3 more years! ...sigh.

Shanadeus

Banned
WanderingWind said:
You: Ads are insidious and I know this because I am basically going to work in marketing one day.
Me: Well, I work in marketing now, and I disagree.
You: You're willfully ignorant.
Me: ...

Let me put it this way. You see targeted marketing as insidious. I don't see how attempting to know your audience and attempting to tailor your product to fit their needs and desires as insidious. But, if you think that selling your product is inherently negative, than we really don't have much to discuss. And yes, "insidious" is negative and yes, I still disagree that there is anything insidious about marketing.

By the way, the best advertising is NOT insidious (as you claim), especially in an age where you're one Google search away from knowing whether or not you're being lied to. The best advertising is targeted, which is largely what you were speaking about.
That's a bunch of sales talk and you know it.

WanderingWind

Shanadeus said:
That's a bunch of sales talk and you know it.

You want sales talk? I'LL GIVE YOU SALES TALK!

"Well, you know man, I've got exactly 4 slots left for EAC events during the quarter, and I've got such a limited budget. I'd love to work with "Guns for Gophers" but I'm not sure that your demographic is my demographic, you know? Maybe we ought to face-to-face on this so we can discuss our options that satisfy your needs and my boss' (who is really the one making me turn down your incredibly generous offer) need to feel important. Oh, and I'll bring the spreadsheets and we can figure out a way to split the fiduciary responsibility so that we all go home happy. That sound good? Excellent. Meet you at Chili's on Friday. Alright. Talk to you later, man."
Flying_Phoenix said:
ITT: Libertarians demonstrate their faults.

Wha?

WanderingWind said:
You want sales talk? I'LL GIVE YOU SALES TALK!

"Well, you know man, I've got exactly 4 slots left for EAC events during the quarter, and I've got such a limited budget. I'd love to work with "Guns for Gophers" but I'm not sure that your demographic is my demographic, you know? Maybe we ought to face-to-face on this so we can discuss our options that satisfy your needs and my boss' (who is really the one making me turn down your incredibly generous offer) need to feel important. Oh, and I'll bring the spreadsheets and we can figure out a way to split the fiduciary responsibility so that we all go home happy. That sound good? Excellent. Meet you at Chili's on Friday. Alright. Talk to you later, man."
I don't like chilis

WanderingWind

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
I don't like chilis

Ah, man, no problem. How about this, you name the place. I mean, it's no biggie for me. Hell, we can do it at Chuckie Cheeses if you want to squeeze in a round of skiball! *laughs*

WanderingWind said:
Ah, man, no problem. How about this, you name the place. I mean, it's no biggie for me. Hell, we can do it at Chuckie Cheeses if you want to squeeze in a round of skiball! *laughs*
I like strippers. I'm not that into grown up rats. Let's do this.

WanderingWind

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
I like strippers. I'm not that into grown up rats. Let's do this.

...believe it or not, that was where one of my first meetings in my new area took place. Now that? That was immoral.

WanderingWind

Shanadeus said:
Aaand this is why advertising is insidious.

A) What do you mean?
and
B) I liked your other avatar better.
also
C) Why were all your posts removed like you got super-permabanned earlier?

Shanadeus

Banned
WanderingWind said:
A) What do you mean?
and
B) I liked your other avatar better.
also
C) Why were all your posts removed like you got super-permabanned earlier?
A) The ability to know where to omitt certain truths is a great quality in a marketer.

B) I'm a brony now

C) I have no idea, you must be imagining things

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
remnant said:
I think if those people really give a crap about kids, they would stop focusing on McDonalds, and turn your ire to the fact that Americans eat way to many carbs in all their meals, much less fast food and that behavior is actively encouraged by our government.

A kid eating the corn dogs, burrito's, taco's grilled cheese, pizza, all types of carb heavy food at school, 5 days of week is much worse than a happy meal.

Yeah, I find school lunches an even bigger issue because the government is using it's power to enforce foods that destroy health. With the new guidelines, if a school wants to get federal funding they have to remove all "solid fats" which is a new idiotic turn to lump trans fats with saturated fats as if they're anything alike. In practical terms this means skim milk with 40 grams of sugar, "fruit" bowls laced with HFCS, low fat "cheese" made out of soy laced with hexane. No quality protein. No *essential* saturated fats to make blood cholesterol needed to develop the nervous system and sexual health.

The kids get sugar, wheat, soy, and more sugar. And because they're still hungry, they get more sugar for a snack after lunch. Brought to you by coca cola. But wait! They're putting calorie labels on everything now. Surely that will help, like warnings on cigarettes stock smokers from smoking.

USDA is a clusterfuck of special interests. Why did we decide to let fast food and junk food companies dictate what kids eat?

Dark Octave said:
Why was everybody always chubby back in those days?

They weren't. Look at photos the next time you visit relatives. Before 1960, just about everyone was thin. Except for the 1930s. People that were rationed food were chubby. Starchy soups made poor people a little fat.

I think that advert is going for the idea of royalty/luxury. Soft, healthy skin without any signs of stress. They thought that most forms of chronic exercise back then wore the body out. In some ways they were right.

Satch

Banned
Dark Octave said:
Why was everybody always chubby back in those days?
It was a sign of wealth to be large. It meant you were fed frequently and fed well because you had that kind of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom