• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How I Met Your Mother Season 8 |OT| Finish your goddamn story, Ted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LM4sure

Banned
Well, that's probably how it's going to go. Then a quick montage of what they did together (dates, proposal, marriage, pregnancy, kids), then in "present day" popping into the couch scene. I'd imagine a quip from either kids saying how "that felt like years" and they actually looking older.

It's called "How I Met Your Mother," not "How Your Mother And Ended Up Here."

Well after all of Ted's relationship fuck ups, it would be nice to see what his [insert German phrase here] is like and why this relationship will work and the rest failed.

eastmen

Banned
Well, that's probably how it's going to go. Then a quick montage of what they did together (dates, proposal, marriage, pregnancy, kids), then in "present day" popping into the couch scene. I'd imagine a quip from either kids saying how "that felt like years" and they actually looking older.

It's called "How I Met Your Mother," not "How Your Mother And Ended Up Here."

But he doesn't meet their mother until she becomes a mother. Because then it be how I met my wife

Quick

Banned
But he doesn't meet their mother until she becomes a mother. Because then it be how I met my wife

That's an excelle--

Hey, wait a minute.

i8q0VwoGgQWoW.gif

Good ending to an awful episode, the canned laughter particularly annoyed me this episode. Lilly and Marshal's schtick got old after 2mins, never mind a full episode.

Hope it gets better.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Band of Horses at the end was awesome...

The episode was decent. Though I think the guitar has some sort of significance. Has anyone ever mentioned a guitar player in the past seasons or episodes?

Deadly

Band of Horses at the end was awesome...

The episode was decent. Though I think the guitar has some sort of significance. Has anyone ever mentioned a guitar player in the past seasons or episodes?
All we know is that his ideal girl plays the bass. And yeah woohoo for Band of Horses

RedAssedApe

Banned
The roommate (Rachel Bilson character) said that the Mother is in a band.

I was just reading an article on tvguide and one of the show creators said that the most requested actress they've gotten to play the mother is Lyndsy Fonseca haha

jb1234

I didn't mind the premiere. The show is long past its prime but it made me laugh a few times and smile a whole lot more and that's really all I'm looking for.

Quick

Banned
The roommate (Rachel Bilson character) said that the Mother is in a band.

I was just reading an article on tvguide and one of the show creators said that the most requested actress they've gotten to play the mother is Lyndsy Fonseca haha

Surprise twist: we knew who the mom was the whole time.

I thought the episode was okay. I laughed at the bit with Barney over the phone "Challenge accepted!" and was surprised they immediately jumped into the Nick relationship, but glad he finally turned up. And the ending was nice. Now we know when he actually meets the mother, not at the wedding but after.

I'm hoping he meets the mother by the end of this season. I don't think it's going to do any more good for the show to put it off any longer.

bachikarn

So they said we were going to meet the mother at the wedding, and now they pull another fake out and say it was at the train station.

Kamek

Loved this episode and love the yellow umbrella. I know I'm in the minority, but I really like where they've taken the show in the last season - No Pressure being my favorite episode in the series. I love that Ted was reading his favorite book, Love in the Time of Cholera on the platform. I can't wait for the endgame now.

Retrocide

Loved this episode and love the yellow umbrella. I know I'm in the minority, but I really like where they've taken the show in the last season - No Pressure being my favorite episode in the series. I love that Ted was reading his favorite book, Love in the Time of Cholera on the platform. I can't wait for the endgame now.

It feels like the end game. Also, even though the cabbie said it was a guitar we know she plays bass.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'd feel better about the show if the creators weren't all..."oh yeah if the actors still want to do the show and cbs wants to renew us we can write-up another season". No matter how they try and spin it it just sounds like more filler episodes to postpone ending the show.

Especially since they seem to be claiming how they already have these key moments planned out (i.e. they planned on Ted meeting the Mother at the train station from the beginning of the show).

Season 9 turns into Season 10...etc. Show has already started to get a little long in the tooth for some of us.

Nibel

Awful unfunny episode which became decent at the end - loved the last Robin bit with small tears in her eyes

IHaveIce

Banned
awful :/

Why didn't they finished it already, the episode was a pain to watch and I'm seriously offended how they change their own decisions for the show

edit: Also the german from Klaus was really bad

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I forget.... how did the mother get the umbrella back? Ted took it from the club really early on. Did it somehow get back to her? Or is that a plothole?

big ander

Lily and Marshall were boring and annoying this episode. Quinn's still annoyingly incongruent to me. Barney and Robin's plot had a little bit of meta in it with Barney's 58 second summary of the show, but the idea of the secret warehouse and stuff is odd to me. Their relationship is so far telegraphed that it's ridiculous. Even if we didn't have the flashforwards showing their marriage, we'd know it was coming for sure. So it's just tiring, really. At least Barney was funny on the phone.
Ted and Victoria's plot still seemed arbitrary and mean to me, but Klaus leaving too had me hoping it was about to turn around. So: why the hell did Ted need to get rid of her note and make Klaus seem like the bad guy??? Why not have them both leave notes, so Klaus and Victoria share the blame and truly realize they were wrong for each other? The way Ted did it seems cruel.
Klaus was funny, but that's two funny pieces in an episode. Yikes.
Teasing more and more mother stuff, but that could easily be stalled. I just hope that even if the show goes into seasons 9 and 10, the mother is revealed at the end of 8. Technically if they wanted to cop out, they could have the meeting take place at Farhampton even further down the road. But please: no.

scoobs

Whats with all the doom and gloom in here? It definitely wasn't terrible. I rather liked this episode, barney funny as always.

Sumidor

Not very funny, but it was entertaining. I don't see it ever being as funny as the early seasons, but im still enjoying it.

.la1n

Whats with all the doom and gloom in here? It definitely wasn't terrible. I rather liked this episode, barney funny as always.

It's not that the episode(s) are particularly bad, it's just for people watching it regularly I think most of us are feeling a little fatigued. Therefore a lot of jokes are falling flat, or simply not hitting at all. This is a generalization, other people's mileage will vary obviously.

Yager

Banned
I didn't laugh a single time during this episode. Anyway, I'll keep watching it beceause...I don't really know why, but I'll do it.

eastmen

Banned
I'd feel better about the show if the creators weren't all..."oh yeah if the actors still want to do the show and cbs wants to renew us we can write-up another season". No matter how they try and spin it it just sounds like more filler episodes to postpone ending the show.

Especially since they seem to be claiming how they already have these key moments planned out (i.e. they planned on Ted meeting the Mother at the train station from the beginning of the show).

Season 9 turns into Season 10...etc. Show has already started to get a little long in the tooth for some of us.

injecting the mother into the show half way through season 8 with marshal and lilly taking on reduced rolls in season 9 and 10 would make it alot better and mabye give it a shot in the arm it needs

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Show will be redeemed if Victoria is somehow revealed to be the mother and all the inconsistencies handwaved away with a sh*tty explanation like "She was a completely different person when we first dated. We both were."

You might as well have
him marry Quinn and handwave the same kind of shitty explanation(ie. she was a different person in her previous job). Or any character that ever appeared on the show really - including Barney

CassSept

I rather liked the episode, thought all the non-Ted parts were well done. The ending was sweet.

You might as well have
him marry Quinn and handwave the same kind of shitty explanation(ie. she was a different person in her previous job). Or any character that ever appeared on the show really - including Barney

Barney is the mother, it all makes sense now!

0wing

Thought it was a pretty good episode overall.

I can't see the show continuing without Jason Segel, so if he doesn't change his mind this surely has to be the last season right? Right?

I'm still 99% sure that Barney's sister is the mother

Also, thank you HIMYM for making me remember this video: http://youtu.be/Z19zFlPah-o

AlphaSnake

Thought it was a pretty good episode overall.

I can't see the show continuing without Jason Segel, so if he doesn't change his mind this surely has to be the last season right? Right?

I'm still 99% sure that Barney's sister is the mother

Also, thank you HIMYM for making me remember this video: http://youtu.be/Z19zFlPah-o

Of course she is. Her (or her band) was there to perform at the wedding. The wedding is canceled. She packs up, takes a cab. And that's how she ends up in the exact same bumblefuck Long Island Rail Road station as Ted. Ted will casually look up, come up to her and say "hey...you're Barney's sister right?" and that's how Ted met your mother.

G0523

This might just be a hunch but do you think someone is going to die this season? I didn't notice this when I watched the episode until I read a review but Ted has a bandage on his right hand when he's at the train station. What happened? Does someone get hurt or worse? Plus the song that was playing at the end was "The Funeral" by Band of Horses. And Ted seemed really melancholic when he was sitting at the bench until that woman asked him if he came from a wedding. Is someone going to die, or is already dead? Will the mother die? Is that why Ted is telling this story to his children? Are they going to her funeral and he decided to tell them this story? Is that why they've endured listening to Ted for this long?

These are just things that I'm thinking out loud, and I don't think we should rule them out, but at the same time this IS network TV and sitcom series finales usually have happy endings. But you never know! I wouldn't be surprised if Bays & Thomas try to pull at the audience's heartstrings this season, especially when it ends.

AlphaSnake

This might just be a hunch but do you think someone is going to die this season? I didn't notice this when I watched the episode until I read a review but Ted has a bandage on his right hand when he's at the train station. What happened? Does someone get hurt or worse? Plus the song that was playing at the end was "The Funeral" by Band of Horses. And Ted seemed really melancholic when he was sitting at the bench until that woman asked him if he came from a wedding. Is someone going to die, or is already dead? Will the mother die? Is that why Ted is telling this story to his children? Are they going to her funeral and he decided to tell them this story? Is that why they've endured listening to Ted for this long?

These are just things that I'm thinking out loud, and I don't think we should rule them out, but at the same time this IS network TV and sitcom series finales usually have happy endings. But you never know! I wouldn't be surprised if Bays & Thomas try to pull at the audience's heartstrings this season, especially when it ends.

Another death would be rather cheap. If I had to guess, the bandage was maybe from an argument, maybe a fall out of that window, who knows?

But, it'd be even sadder and cheaper if the kids are hearing this story because the mother died sometime around 2030. Though, without a doubt, both Ted and the mom met at Barney's wedding or right after it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
8 seasons, really? Unbelievable.

It feels like 20 seasons with Ted's endless droning and general douchebaggery. It's good for cheap laughs from NPH and Jason Segel.

PK Gaming

Season opener was weak.

The only parts I liked were the ted & victoria bits,
until the very end where victoria's ex decides to give us some unnecessary exposition. it was painful to watch.

The barney & quinn parts were ok. That's all I really have to say on that.

The Marshall & Lily were downright awful. They ran with a joke that wasn't funny since the start, and they just kept reusing it. They felt like filler characters to a plot they had no part being a part off minus their baby. And gorram, Jason Segel doesn't feel like Segel to me. He doesn't have that "ERICKSON!!!" "ARGHHHHH! (shaving head scene)" feel that he had in the previous seasons.

TL;DR: Season opener SUCKED.

#bitching, #allday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom