• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long have you been posting on Gaming Age?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly can't remember. I slid here as USENET slowly died. I posted on the gaming groups there as far back as 91, probably.

I think I started reading here around 97. I dropped off a lot in the last couple years, although I've been on more lately.

So how long have you been here? And if you changed names, what was your name?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
summer or fall of 98... just in time for the pre DC buzz.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
About four years.

I used to post on this small DC board, DC United, that kinda died off, then I moved to UGO, and then I played PSO w/ aerofx from here (who also was on UGO at the time), so PSO DC lured me in here after UGO started dying off and/or sucking (can't remember which), and since I had been playing w/ several GA people online I knew there were cool people, so I guess I was right since I'm still here.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I've been reading for years, but I only recently registered (sometime in early 2003, I think). I've always been human5892.

Kuramu

I found this place late in '99 and became insanely addictd for a year. Now it's just a daily part of my life

edit: Terrapin was the big pain in the ass of the forum at the time... maybe it was '98, not sure. I don't think the DC was out yet

3phemeral

Winter of 98, that's when I first got my hands on a computer. :) I first posted at NGO (I love dem bastards), then Nintendorks as Chichiri^_^ (around the time there was a war between our board and some other board, don't remember who it was -- where's Wheeler, Chrissy, Curt? hehe), and then here.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
About 5 years or so, and was known as "Vennt"

Hell, I wanted "Freeburn" to be anonymous due to an issue with a former poster, but like that ever happens around here :p

(Actually came here following a thread for advance PS2 news from IGN Boards, & never went back. :p)

Mugen

Banned
First seen this late 1999... linked from OPN2k on how 'clueless' this Deadmeat was... then become a regular in 2000.

levious

NintendosBooger said:
Question to long-time members and readers: was Gaming-Age always this active, even from the onset?

It was even more hectic cause we only had one board for every type of topic.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Started reading and lurking at Gaming-Age sometime in 1999. First posted in 2000 IIRC. Before that, I was on Usenet, and finally gave up on it because of crap like this. I'm both "Lee" and "Terry" in that thread BTW. (Gotta love Usenet news archives. :))

I was reading/posting on Usenet starting in 1994 under various names, and was talking about games on AOL boards in 1993 before that. This makes me feel like an old man, but I'm only 23. :lol

Starting lurking summer 1999. Started posting Dec 19th 1999.

This place was mentioned in a UK mag for DC vids so that's what drew me. For the first month or so didn't realise there was a forum. Yes, I actually only visited the front page for a whole month.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Die Squirrel Die: You really do need a different tag, you're not that anonymous you know, I've loved all your various "death to tree hugging rodent" pseudonyms over the years :p

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
levious said:
It was even more hectic cause we only had one board for every type of topic.

I remember when mods wouldn't even move topics. I made a 2002 MTV VMA thread in the gaming-forum and it stayed there the whole time and garnered 300+ replies.

levious

Lyte Edge said:
Started reading and lurking at Gaming-Age sometime in 1999. First posted in 2000 IIRC. Before that, I was on Usenet, and finally gave up on it because of crap like this. I'm both "Lee" and "Terry" in that thread BTW. (Gotta love Usenet news archives. :))

haha, that's hilarious, WD's attempt to get rid of slowdown results in a game-crashing bug. And then Vic's response to "how much was Treasure involved?" was so cryptic. "They're listed in the credits as being responsible for the game system." Being the publisher, I would think he would have known exactly what they did.

Freeburn said:
Die Squirrel Die: You really do need a different tag, you're not that anonymous you know, I've loved all your various "death to tree hugging rodent" pseudonyms over the years :p

It's a bit of a joke. I made a thread a while back, while I was feeling a bit bummed out, about how I felt anonymous here. Had it since then. To be honest I've stopped noticing it.

Azih

I've been posting here since before the snowboards... when the Nintendo fans were by far the most reasonable and likeable characters on the forums. Hrm. 2000 approximately?

Mugen

Banned
Yeah I think I remember you too Azih, remember when Nintendo fans were the cool and reasonable ones? :(

teiresias

I don't remember, but the Next Generation Online forums were still active at the time because I was posting on both, so does that give anyone a timeframe?

Mugen

Banned
NextGen Online (1999) I think. Then it becomes DailyGaydar on 2000. DR was really anti-Nintendo back then. I hate that fucking site.

ourumov

Ufff...I don't remember it...Circa 2001 I think. When that big Super GT vs GT3 debacle began. I began reading them a lot before...

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Discovered this forum after being linked to it from an ign64.com mailbag by Matt Cassamassina (sp?) back in 1999. Lurked for a year or 2 then started posting fairly infrequently. Decided I needed to post more (without posting just for the sake of posting) to shed this Junior Member tag, so I've recently upped my post frequency.

Once the forum split, I used to visit the gaming side exclusively, but that changed about a year or so ago as this side is just funnier and great for weird news stories (I'm a bit of an information junkie :/ ).

Back in the day, Futami and Deadmeat were the Forum's biggest issues, and man I always got a laugh out Raistlin's tirades and Drinky Crow/MAF's baiting of the fanboys. Puppet masters at work :lol

One thread that sticks out in my mind and I wish someone archived was one about one of DrinkyCrow's (or MAF's, I used to get them mixed up) trips to WalMart. I'm in Canada, so I've never seen the....clientele that frequents WalMart in the States, but his description was so vivid, frightening and hilarious at the same time it was like I was right there with him. Does *anybody* have this thread somewhere???? Oh man, good times, good times.

Like the NBA, the GAF has lost some of it's luster since Futami, Deadmeat, Opa, and others are gone (and good riddance to the first 2 in this list), along with the baiting of console fanatics (just like when Bird, Drexler, Magic, and Jordan left), but I'm sure with the impending console system refresh GAF will regain it's luster and remain the premiere gaming forum on teh intarweb.

::goes back to pretending to work::

LakeEarth

About 5 years ago, a bit after Spaceworld 2000. The big "Factor 5 German Interview" thing was going on, and I was linked to it, read a lot of it, and lurked the forum for a while. It was pretty much the same way it is now. Opinionated, people caring about sales and graphic whores, no one knows if Mina's a guy or not... yes, the more things change the more they stay the same...

FnordChan

I forget, but I think it was sometime in 2000, maybe 2001. I definately remember Opa's meltdown. A while, at any rate.

FnordChan

levious

LakeEarth said:
About 5 years ago, a bit after Spaceworld 2000. The big "Factor 5 German Interview" thing was going on, and I was linked to it, read a lot of it, and lurked the forum for a while. It was pretty much the same way it is now. Opinionated, people caring about sales and graphic whores, no one knows if Mina's a guy or not... yes, the more things change the more they stay the same...

I eat a broom?

Mugen

Banned
LakeEarth said:

Julian Eggebacht interview, the single most replied non-stickied thread in the history of GA (or close to it). Lake you posts at opn2000 too didn't you?

DCX

DCX
Well it was around the BlackBelt/Katana info started popping up, maybe late 97, i started at DCTP ( Dreamcast Technical Pages ) then i moved on here. I went by the name DC Prophet at first then changed to DCX. Only since NeoGAF have i stepped out of the shadows and become a normal poster. I never got above 3.5 post a day before Neo GAF, since then i have my all time high 11.5ppd, now i hover around 9-10a day. I remember the Opa posts and Gasarsa and his weirdness.

DCX

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I would guess since around January-February 2000, so it's almost 5 years now. I distinctly remember my first post...I accidentally started a new thread instead of posting my reply in the correct thread. And of course, people became perplexed and/or upset. Not exactly the best start. So I went back to lurking for a couple months, and then returned under a new username...and I'm still here. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom