• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long will the psp last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelbox

Due to all the talk of "poor" sales, lack of software, and sony taking a hit with each psp the end is soon to come. Will sony pull something out of their behinds and turn things around? Will things remain the same throughout it's life cycle? Will it worsen? Thoughts?
I believe marketing on sony's end is the cause. Not everyone knows what the psp can do and it's a real shame. I also think size (in terms of mp3) in not the issue. Ipods are simple to navigate. Moreso than any other mp3 player plus the software to put music on it is a walk in a park. And to top things off, ipod has many options for mp3 to be played vs psp's shuffle and repeat options. If psp wanted to go against ipods, marketing and functionilty needs to be substantially upgraded. In the game marke sony needs to know what kind of games are great for a handheld and if the don't find out soon next year could be the plug for it. That's my thoughts...ok you can go :D

JavyOO7

As long as Sony wants it too. They want a good chunk of the marketshare Nintendo has with handhelds, and they won't stop until they get it. They'll be at that point, eventually I think. But what the PSP and the DS will succeed to do eventually is increase the market by a good percentage I think, sooner or later.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
*PS3 will make PSP a much more desiderable gaming&multimedia device than it already is*. And this is not wishful thinking...

Xrenity

JavyOO7 said:
As long as Sony wants it too. They want a good chunk of the marketshare Nintendo has with handhelds, and they won't stop until they get it. They'll be at that point, eventually I think. But what the PSP and the DS will succeed to do eventually is increase the market by a good percentage I think, sooner or later.
I think they don't care about market share at the moment. They just want to earn money :)

And I don't know if they're doing so at the moment.

lexy

Isn't PSP still near $300? I don't know how well the PSP is doing in terms of sales but, if it isn't doing well, I'd look to the price of the unit before I look to the marketing.

Sony only pulled the plug on MiniDisc less than a year ago IIRC and that never really caught on in a big way so I would imagine they'd keep UMD going until they come up with a better proprietary portable media format to replace UMD.

trilobyte

pixelbox said:
Psp is not really in a match with ipod. But while you're on a subject, can you really enjoy a movie on a 1" screen?
millions enjoy play 20+ hour rpgs on a screen the same size as the i-pod, so I think people will be just fine with movies. Especially if it means buying them online and not having to lug around UMDs ;)

TTP said:
*PS3 will make PSP a much more desiderable gaming&multimedia device than it already is*. And this is not wishful thinking...

He knows something! I wonder if this is what Kaz was talking about doing not too long ago, it sounded pretty cool if they can get it to work.

Aren't UMD movies doing pretty well? Anyway, I always thought that Sony is currently focusing a lot of their resources on the PS3. So when the PS3 comes out, we'll be seeing a lot more games coming from both directions.

Tabris

PSP is truly the XBox of the handheld market (In terms of introduction).

Unlike original Playstation, Sony will have to work for it's userbase, but it's getting there slowly. The psp game drought is going to be ending soon, so we'll have to wait for that moment.

Microsoft did it. They took a nice chunk of the market for themselves even though they had a pretty poor start with the XBox.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
when (because there really is no if about it) ipod starts selling movies on itunes and goes wireless (both quite possible by the end of next year) PSP's stance as an all in one unit will be considerably cut UNLESS sony can successfully launch and market a store for PSP media.

but if you are wirelessly able to buy songs, tv shows, and movies all from the ipod, and the PSP still has you ripping cds and dvds to use them, well... it will be all but over for the PSP as a media center-like device.

and this isn't me attacking the psp so much as kind of giving sony a wtf. if they are "competing with apple" as they have alluded to in the past, then they have to realize that apple is about more than just a MP3 player.

christ, I just bought office season one for $12 last week and I don't even fucking own a video ipod.

pixelbox

trilobyte said:
millions enjoy play 20+ hour rpgs on a screen the same size as the i-pod, so I think people will be just fine with movies. Especially if it means buying them online and not having to lug around UMDs ;)
Um no. gameboys screens are BIGGER than any ipods screens. You may be right about the online movies...but i feel eye doctors will see bussiness surges similar to ds sale in japan if ipod suceeds.

borghe

pixelbox said:
Um no. gameboys screens are BIGGER than any ipods screens. You may be right about the online movies...but i feel eye doctors will see bussiness surges similar to ds sale in japan if ipod suceeds.
22.5 million sales for fiscal 2005 and 11 million sales in just the holiday period of fiscal 2006...

IF ipod succeeds?

pixelbox

borghe said:
when (because there really is no if about it) ipod starts selling movies on itunes and goes wireless (both quite possible by the end of next year) PSP's stance as an all in one unit will be considerably cut UNLESS sony can successfully launch and market a store for PSP media.

but if you are wirelessly able to buy songs, tv shows, and movies all from the ipod, and the PSP still has you ripping cds and dvds to use them, well... it will be all but over for the PSP as a media center-like device.

and this isn't me attacking the psp so much as kind of giving sony a wtf. if they are "competing with apple" as they have alluded to in the past, then they have to realize that apple is about more than just a MP3 player.

christ, I just bought office season one for $12 last week and I don't even fucking own a video ipod.
I agree entirely. Hopefully next year or this convention sony will mention something like that.

Tabris

borghe, it's hard not to believe you're attacking psp. You're the most vocal in the ds side of the whole ds vs psp drama on this board.

i wish sony wouldve included a tivo like functionality in the ps3 that encoded directly to psp format, much like the defunct psx. that would kick all kinds of ass

Tabris said:
PSP is truly the XBox of the handheld market (In terms of introduction).

Unlike original Playstation, Sony will have to work for it's userbase, but it's getting there slowly. The psp game drought is going to be ending soon, so we'll have to wait for that moment.

Microsoft did it. They took a nice chunk of the market for themselves even though they had a pretty poor start with the XBox.

Microsoft got a nice chunk of the market?? Well, the PSP is already FAR ahead of the Xbox's market penetration in comparable timeframes. And I'm pretty sure it'll end up far ahead of the 22M+ the Xbox ended up with.

And the PSP game drought? I tend to think that ended back in September, but I guess if varies.

pixelbox

I see sony coming out of this...if they get things togather. It's not about the psp, i like sony stuff(headphones especially) and if psp doesn't do well sony could go on the road to bankruptcy.

borghe

Tabris said:
borghe, it's hard not to believe you're attacking psp. You're the most vocal in the ds side of the whole ds vs psp drama on this board.
doesn't matter if it's hard not to believe. I haven't attacked the psp for well over a month. maybe even two. I have no particular problems with the PSP at this point, and nothing I said was biased. The fact of the matter is that sony IS pushing it as a portable media player almost as much as they are a game system. in the meanwhile, apple is virtually eclipsing everything they are pushing for.. some due to actual good moves (TVs on itunes, itunes itself, etc), some of it just due to the insane apple marketing machine. regardless, sony has to play catchup at this point, and if they want to remain relevant even need to make a step ahead of apple to not fall to the wayside as a media player. the psp screen is nice, but being able to carry along all of season 1 of lost, all of season 1 of housewives, AND still be able to carry over 30GB os music and photos as well, and to be able to play all of the video on any tv etc... apple really one upped sony, maybe even two uppsed considering sony doesn't even really have a feasible music service yet. sony has to get in the game with the psp if that's the one they want to play, and all of the UMD movies out there tells me they want to play it.

monkeyrun

pixelbox said:
Psp is not really in a match with ipod. But while you're on a subject, can you really enjoy a movie on a 1" screen?
it's more like a 2.5 inch, but that's not iPod's target either.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
The simple fact that Sony gives the user no easy way to get data onto the memory sticks, not to mention a USB cable was never included until a fucking $300 pack was made shows, I don't know what it shows but Sony has to do a lot of stuff to make the PSP more than the "decent game player that you really don't want to take out of the house" that it is right now.

pixelbox

RevenantKioku said:
The simple fact that Sony gives the user no easy way to get data onto the memory sticks, not to mention a USB cable was never included until a fucking $300 pack was made shows, I don't know what it shows but Sony has to do a lot of stuff to make the PSP more than the "decent game player that you really don't want to take out of the house" that it is right now.
I know! I would say screw the earphones and replace it with the usb cable. Then again screw all of it and make a online music site only for the psp to use over wireless.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
pixelbox said:
I know! I would say screw the earphones and replace it with the usb cable. Then again screw all of it and make a online music site only for the psp to use over wireless.

If Sony really wanted it to be this 'multimedia' device that they were pimping, why no included USB cable?
UMD movies, that's why.
Which is doing better than plenty expected, I suppose, but I think it's gonna end up hurting them in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom