• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many times have you been "friend-zoned" ?

Times in the friend-zone?

• Once

Votes: 33 26.0%

Votes: 20 15.7%

Votes: 12 9.4%

Votes: 3 2.4%

Votes: 4 3.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 1.6%

• 10+

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Never

Votes: 45 35.4%

• Total voters

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
In my case, 2 times. The first time was a girl I meet when I was new at that highschool, I fall in love but she didn't, yeah yeah sad story (not really).

Another time, I meet a girl, we were so different but still we were very very close to each other, she used to be with me at any time and from one day to another, Ta-Da! I start to like her :D

...but she like another guy so basically she broke my heart when I told her that I like her. (ok that was actually sad).

What about you? How many times have you been "friend-zoned"?

chips-couch.gif

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
never. I have always been a pretty disinterested kinda guy and every chickI have been with over the years came to me. I'm lazy, that way I know for sure that she is interested.

Of course, your milage may vary. Couple times I have friendzoned girls I wasnt interested in that were trying to get close

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I either have gone for the girls and got em, or I was fine being friends with them and not interested in that way.

I've dated girls who said, "Let's just be friends", but I hadn't gotten crazy about them, and that "friendship" was me never reaching out to them again.

Aesius

A few times when I was too chickenshit to make a move (mostly in high school). But only once when I made my intentions (somewhat) clear.

I had just moved into my college apartment and met a girl who lived in the next building over. She was absolutely gorgeous, and I thought we hit it off really well, but she wasn't into me. I never directly asked her out, and she never directly turned me down, but it was clear I liked her and clear she didn't want to date me. She ended up dating a stoner-type guy a few weeks later, and I actually got along with him when we would all party together, so it wasn't a big issue and I moved on.

Interestingly, she hit me up a couple years later (after she turned 21) and wanted to get a drink with me. I wasn't hung up on her or anything, but of course I said yes because she was still smoking hot. However, I was still so thrown off from the earlier "rejection" that I played it cool and never made a move. Looking back, I think I could/should have, but I was really wary of getting shut down twice by the same girl.

lachesis

Twice. Once in college, and another in my early career.
College one - she scoffed/rejected at me because I was a poor art student on scholarship with a junk car.
Funny that she tried to crawl back once my career started to go well in NYC. (she lived in another country, started bombard me with emails and stuff..)
At that point, I really wasn't seeing her more than a friend, so I said no, and wished her good luck.
By that time, I didn't have much feelings than loose friendship, so it didn't work out at all.

Early career one... was actually a pretty cool one - but didn't work out and lost contact with her long time ago.

-Minsc-

Probably twice that I can reasonably say. Probably more times I was oblivious to. Married now so it doesn't matter.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Currently friend-zoned with someone. We talk all the time (phone and texting), we used to work together, sometimes we get together with other mutual friends to grab lunch or dinner or go to someone's house party.

No doubt she knows the whole time I like her. Not in a desperate creepy way. But we both kind of play it cool. Every time I've asked her lunch or dinner just her and me, there's always an excuse she cant. So I gave up.

On the plus side, it's never affected our friendship. Everything else is the same between us as if those times I asked her out never existed.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Only once really, and it was kinda borderline because I mean…I did get to suck on those titties a bit. But she definitely didn’t let me get all the way home while utilizing me for stuff like we were in a relationship. I wizened up after that…nowadays she sometimes texts me me in ways that make me think she maybe regrets doing that and marrying who she did and I’m like 🤷🏼‍♂️

Mossybrew

Just once, in the olden dayes before the term was even coined. My first love from like 1990 to 1993 I pined for this girl, we were actually quite good friends and of course that's the excuse she used to not take it further "I wouldn't want to ruin our friendship!" I ended up going no contact with her just to get over it, but it was a valuable lesson, if a girl doesn't see you 'that way' from day 1 it is just about impossible to force it.

Once in high school, once in college. Caught on the second time and I knew what signs to look for to avoid it from then on. Guys need to be aware though that some girls do it purposefully and others do it unknowingly, because they genuinely wanted a male friend. The minute that trust is broken it makes them cautious and untrusting for the next guy, same as the guy looking for the next girl.

StueyDuck

Fun fact... you friend zone yourself.

If you don't make a move or clearly make your intentions noticed ie you would like to have a relationship with that person then you've automatically friend zoned yourself.

It's the cruel world we live in but it's how life goes. If you are meeting her to help her make cupcakes instead of meeting her on an actual date then your donezos

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Fun fact... you friend zone yourself.

If you don't make a move or clearly make your intentions noticed ie you would like to have a relationship with that person then you've automatically friend zoned yourself.

It's the cruel world we live in but it's how life goes. If you are meeting her to help her make cupcakes instead of meeting her on an actual date then your donezos
So, you're saying the friendzone = a lack of self-respect ?

StueyDuck

So, you're saying the friendzone = a lack of self-respect ?
If that's how you want to interpret it.

Lack of self confidence might be more apt. But overall it's about respecting your own time and how long you have on thise earth.

If she hasnt shown interest in the first month shes not going to turn around 5 years later and suddenly be in love

More just like dudes simp and don't ever state their intentions then 6 months later they are obsessing over women who clearly see them a "just a friend". A lot of the times the women can also see this and may abuse them... use them for free meals, free gifts etc...

It's a tale older than time

Last edited:
Just once really, wouldn't have worked out anyways. I chased her out to work at a summer camp with her where I ended up meeting another woman who would be my wife later. So, everything happens for a reason, etc.

badblue

Just once and I'm thankful for it.

We stayed friends and the more I got to know here over the years the more I felt I dodged a bullet. That was confirmed when she came out as poly a few years after she got married.

I friendzoned myself once in high school with a girl who was hot and I kinda obsessed with. Funnily enough she wanted the D too. Put all the signs and enough bait for me to take and being a pus I didn't bite.

If someone isn't interested, I move on. Pump and dump works.

LordOfChaos

I’ve done it to myself a few times only realizing years later she wanted the D.

Why Me Crying GIF by Team Coco

THIS, probably happened by myself more than friendzones where I went for it (maybe friendzoned twice).

Sometimes I remember stuff and I'm just like, what the hell, man. In college a girl that talked to me a lot asked if I wanted to coach her in calculus, and I was like, sorry, I don't really remember it. And she was like, "well, if you want to just remember calculus, you can come over and coach me". And I was like uhh ok, but in my head I was like who the hell "just remembers" calculus

40Oz Pour One Out GIF

What the hell, man?!

But, those sad times I didn't take the shot make me consistently go for it now. The key to avoiding friendzone is to make it clear early in the relationship that you're sexually interested, not just looking to be her girlfriend, without being a creep.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The few times I thought it was this, it turned out it was their stupid immaturity and lack of not knowing what they want.

I was with one who said she loved me and was a few years older making good money as an RN. She like to go clubbing which j made clear I wasn't a big fan of and only went a couple times for posterity sake. I watched the women dance and the guys sit in the perimeter like vultures slowly making their way to dance and grabbing their ass and all that crap.

This same person went (after I left) and got with an ex con who she then came back half a year later to tell me she had s restrain order on him and her garage door was caved in from him trying to break and enter.

Women's.

I've been zoned by a few people, and I've zoned a few people myself. Notably, I was originally zoned by one girl, but I managed to get out of it and into an LTR with her.

It's been a while since I last shot my shot, but I'm at the age where even if I get zoned, it won't sting for too long.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I’m really shy so whilst I’m not saying I’m gods gift to women I’ve probably inadvertently done it to a few girls / women over the advancing years of my life.

Outlier

Never, but I friendzoned someone half a year ago, for the first time.
I noticed that we weren't romantically or sexually compatible, so I told him that and we could just be friends.
We hung out twice last week, no problem.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I can remember one specific time in college where I was talking to a girl and I had never asked her out but she gave the old, "I think of you like a brother"

MastAndo

Once, way back when. I'm glad I told her how I felt, but it was brutal - despite plenty of women since then, casually and in relationships, I'm not sure I've had those kind of warm, tingly feelings for any other girl since. There's probably something subconscious going on that decided it wasn't going to happen again, like a reflex learned from putting your hand to a flame.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Never, truely glad I never had to experience that. After being married for over a decade, I couldn't imagine how much dating and courting suck now.

Smokken

Banned
I either have gone for the girls and got em, or I was fine being friends with them and not interested in that way.

I've dated girls who said, "Let's just be friends", but I hadn't gotten crazy about them, and that "friendship" was me never reaching out to them again.
I'm almost 100% convinced men only have female "friends" they potentially want to bang under the right circumstances. Men and women have completely different take on this.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I'm almost 100% convinced men only have female "friends" they potentially want to bang under the right circumstances. Men and women have completely different take on this.
I'm inclined to agree. The men who say they don't want to bang their female friends are saying that because:

1) they're gay
2) the girl is unattractive
3) those feelings haven't developed...yet, or
4) because admitting it would hurt their chances of banging them in the future lol

I'm sure there are exceptions and more nuance, but the above has been my experience as an outside observer

mopspear

Ah, apparently I was the only one who voted for #8... It was a constant issue with me when I was younger. I just got married though so it worked out. Online dating + a girl from another country + a whole lot of luck was the key it seems.

Winter John

Gold Member
I been friend zoned a couple of times. The worst was this art student Gillian. I had a major crush on her. I was head over heels for her. She was really beautiful. I genuinely believe I could’ve gotten into her panties if I hadn’t tried to talk her and her best friend into a 3 way.

The other one which I can’t explain why I did it, but for some sick reason I pretended I was retarded. I swear to Christ I don’t know why. My buddy introduced me to his cousin and I guess I just thought it would be funny. Anyway she totally bought it. She genuinely thought I was this retarded kid. She was really nice and kind too. Asking me about the special school and shit.
Anyways it turned out she lived a block or so from where I was. So every time we bumped into each other I just kept pretending I was retarded because I was too embarrassed to come clean. Then one day I was going for lunch with one of my sisters when we bumped into this chick. I automatically went into the retard routine and my sister not knowing what was up blew the whole deal by asking what the fuck I was doing. I will never forget the look of pure shock that slowly turned into disgust on that chick’s face. I guess I deserved it.

Herr Edgy

I was awkward as shit when I was a teenager. Got friend zoned all over.
One in particular, when I was still a virgin with 18, was one of the two very attractive girls in our Computer Science course in university.
She had a bf for a while, and she was part of my loose student group, so we'd occasionally see each other and talk to each other, but nothing proper.
Then one day, as a group, we went to the pool instead of the lecture because it was 42°C. I literally had my legs wrapped around her in the water, but there were a few more in our group kinda 'playing' on top of each other (innocently), just that what I was doing was a little inappropriate, but she weirdly didn't complain or do anything about it.
One evening, we decided to meet up for the first time when she was a little sick. I went to her place, brought some tea and we basically just chilled in her bed forever watching some extremely boring youtube videos. We locked our arms, drank some alcohol and it was already dark outside, and nothing happened.. for a while
Inexperienced as I was, I didn't know if this was an invitation of sorts or not, so I literally turned to her and asked her

"Do you wanna have sex?"

Needless to say, she didn't deal well with it, responded with something like 'No, now it's no longer spontaneous!' and my attempts to save that evening failed miserably. Soon after I left, pissed against a tree, and rode my bike home.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The other one which I can’t explain why I did it, but for some sick reason I pretended I was retarded. I swear to Christ I don’t know why. My buddy introduced me to his cousin and I guess I just thought it would be funny. Anyway she totally bought it. She genuinely thought I was this retarded kid. She was really nice and kind too. Asking me about the special school and shit.
Anyways it turned out she lived a block or so from where I was. So every time we bumped into each other I just kept pretending I was retarded because I was too embarrassed to come clean. Then one day I was going for lunch with one of my sisters when we bumped into this chick. I automatically went into the retard routine and my sister not knowing what was up blew the whole deal by asking what the fuck I was doing. I will never forget the look of pure shock that slowly turned into disgust on that chick’s face. I guess I deserved it.
Obligatory:

ChiuaeD.gif

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I been friend zoned a couple of times. The worst was this art student Gillian. I had a major crush on her. I was head over heels for her. She was really beautiful. I genuinely believe I could’ve gotten into her panties if I hadn’t tried to talk her and her best friend into a 3 way.

This is tagworthy stuff. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Top Bottom