• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many times have you been "friend-zoned" ?

Times in the friend-zone?

• Once

Votes: 33 26.0%

Votes: 20 15.7%

Votes: 12 9.4%

Votes: 3 2.4%

Votes: 4 3.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 1.6%

• 10+

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Never

Votes: 45 35.4%

• Total voters

stn

I've had my share of rejections but never friendzoned. Even as a guy I find it creepy/odd to just linger around a girl and pretend like all I want is to be her friend hoping that she will come out and like me. Just make a move and, if you get rejected, move on.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Can't be friend-zoned if you have no friends
pBM1Lzr.png

killatopak

Twice

I shrug it off but it does stay with you. I was serious both times since I don’t date casually. It does sting a bit since being friends means you’ll eventually see them with their significant other. Sometimes you can’t help think what the future would be like if you were in that position instead.

It’s not like I can cut off ties since we were friends since we were tiny. The only solace is seeing how happy they are and hoping they are happy for me too.

poodaddy

So many times. I've been married for a very long time now, but all things said it happened a lot in my teen years, which I can't fuckin believe was twenty years ago, but I digress.

It makes sense though honestly, I was obese, depressed, angry, jaded, alcoholic, uneducated, and aimless until about 21 years old. I don't blame any woman for not beating down my door early on, as I wasn't exactly a prize catch.

I was awkward as shit when I was a teenager. Got friend zoned all over.
One in particular, when I was still a virgin with 18, was one of the two very attractive girls in our Computer Science course in university.
She had a bf for a while, and she was part of my loose student group, so we'd occasionally see each other and talk to each other, but nothing proper.
Then one day, as a group, we went to the pool instead of the lecture because it was 42°C. I literally had my legs wrapped around her in the water, but there were a few more in our group kinda 'playing' on top of each other (innocently), just that what I was doing was a little inappropriate, but she weirdly didn't complain or do anything about it.
One evening, we decided to meet up for the first time when she was a little sick. I went to her place, brought some tea and we basically just chilled in her bed forever watching some extremely boring youtube videos. We locked our arms, drank some alcohol and it was already dark outside, and nothing happened.. for a while
Inexperienced as I was, I didn't know if this was an invitation of sorts or not, so I literally turned to her and asked her

"Do you wanna have sex?"

Needless to say, she didn't deal well with it, responded with something like 'No, now it's no longer spontaneous!' and my attempts to save that evening failed miserably. Soon after I left, pissed against a tree, and rode my bike home.
That’s some ol’ bullshit, because it’s equally likely if you had tried to make a move she would have freaked out anyway, saying you were ruining the special moment making it about sex, and she never gave consent so it’s basically sexual assault. What you should have done instead is read her mind.

Herr Edgy

That’s some ol’ bullshit, because it’s equally likely if you had tried to make a move she would have freaked out anyway, saying you were ruining the special moment making it about sex, and she never gave consent so it’s basically sexual assault. What you should have done instead is read her mind.
I know, but to be frank, if you have a little bit of experience you know when she wants something and you don't ask. If she still is like "nah" then of course, you stop.
Just I didn't have any back then. :goog_rofl:

Lucked out not going through that shit but I did notice that the more driven you are to improve yourself, while not paying attention to the opposite sex, they start wanting what they can’t have. Not 100% but enough to give you the upper hand in the pursuit. Saw friends get “zoned” and it was hard to watch. Luckily they moved on with their life.

Konnor

Once and never again, if you don't learn your lesson the first time you're a masochist who subconsciously want this shit to happen to you

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Once and deep down inside I still seethe about it, not that I care for that person, I care for me mainly.

I rejected a quite bigger number of women, but that's fine you know.

I hate my brain, sometimes.

DelireMan7

I think once.

There was this girl in highschool. Very intellectual not physically attractive for me. We became friend quickly and spoke often together. I never had really an attraction for her.
This went for the whole highschool. On the last year, there was a period where we talked overnight by SMS. We did it several nights. I remembered one stormy night where she started imagining we were sailors on a boat in a middle of the storm and we spoke about it the whole night.
A one point during these exchanges, she asked me if I was into some girls. She also said she was into a guy but didn't want to tell him...
So after all these exchanges we had, I was thinking she talked about me and thought that we had good fun together since years so maybe it would be worth to make a move with her. So I told her, that I was into her but you know the story : the guy she mentioned was not me and she was really surprised by my "revelation".

After highschool, we lost contact. I don't have any regrets or resentment about that. Just me learning life and how girls are working xD

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The other one which I can’t explain why I did it, but for some sick reason I pretended I was retarded. I swear to Christ I don’t know why. My buddy introduced me to his cousin and I guess I just thought it would be funny. Anyway she totally bought it. She genuinely thought I was this retarded kid. She was really nice and kind too. Asking me about the special school and shit.
Anyways it turned out she lived a block or so from where I was. So every time we bumped into each other I just kept pretending I was retarded because I was too embarrassed to come clean. Then one day I was going for lunch with one of my sisters when we bumped into this chick. I automatically went into the retard routine and my sister not knowing what was up blew the whole deal by asking what the fuck I was doing. I will never forget the look of pure shock that slowly turned into disgust on that chick’s face. I guess I deserved it.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

ThePringler

Neo Member
I've been put in the friend zone a few times, and always kind of hurts.

But, have you ever put a girl in the friend zone? And then they don't take it well becoming the men that they claim to hate? That is a thing of beauty.

My ex-girlfriend kind of reconnected with me a few months ago. It had been long enough that I had hoped that we had both grown from the previous experience and could maybe make something work this time. However, I found out very quickly that she had not changed at all.

One evening she called me up and she told me that "she knows how I feet about her" implying that I still had feelings. I told her I didn't anymore. Flash forward a few days and she sends me a text saying that she doesn't want to have any kind of relationship/friendship with me because I'm condescending and gaslighting her.

Kind of felt like a "you can't fire me, I quit" situation.

*Chef's kiss*

Raven117

I been friend zoned a couple of times. The worst was this art student Gillian. I had a major crush on her. I was head over heels for her. She was really beautiful. I genuinely believe I could’ve gotten into her panties if I hadn’t tried to talk her and her best friend into a 3 way.

The other one which I can’t explain why I did it, but for some sick reason I pretended I was retarded. I swear to Christ I don’t know why. My buddy introduced me to his cousin and I guess I just thought it would be funny. Anyway she totally bought it. She genuinely thought I was this retarded kid. She was really nice and kind too. Asking me about the special school and shit.
Anyways it turned out she lived a block or so from where I was. So every time we bumped into each other I just kept pretending I was retarded because I was too embarrassed to come clean. Then one day I was going for lunch with one of my sisters when we bumped into this chick. I automatically went into the retard routine and my sister not knowing what was up blew the whole deal by asking what the fuck I was doing. I will never forget the look of pure shock that slowly turned into disgust on that chick’s face. I guess I deserved it.
This is effing bizarre.

Raven117

I can't recall being in the "friendzone" yall talk about. A little crush here and there (that I didn't do anything about), sure.

But the situation where you basically follow around some girl doing all the nice things to be a "good friend", never.

Im also tall and real hot. So...there is that.

Once. There was this girl, a co-worker. Average looking, but she had a good sense of humour and a beautiful smile. We had fun hanging out together. My feelings for her were clear. But I never made a move.
None of her relationships lasts more than a couple of months. Or even weeks. So, I think there might be something wrong there. I might have avoided a bullet.
We still go out for lunch sometimes. But I stopped simping.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I’ve done it to myself a few times only realizing years later she wanted the D.

Why Me Crying GIF by Team Coco
I still sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and think about the time teen me went out with a girl he liked and she basically said she would like to misbehave but didnt have someone to misbehave with.

I dont remember exactly what my response was but I dropped her off at her place and went home :messenger_neutral:

So I guess I friendzoned her.

In my defense I was head over heels over a different girl (that friendzoned me lmfao).

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Only once.

She was super into me, I was too shy and maybe a bit oblivious to it. Finally got a date with her and she realised how innocent I was and lost interest.

For the better. She was and still is batshit crazy. Dodged a bullet.

Sleepwalker

Twice

I shrug it off but it does stay with you. I was serious both times since I don’t date casually. It does sting a bit since being friends means you’ll eventually see them with their significant other. Sometimes you can’t help think what the future would be like if you were in that position instead.

It’s not like I can cut off ties since we were friends since we were tiny. The only solace is seeing how happy they are and hoping they are happy for me too.
The times it happened to me I just agreed to be friends and then just made sure to drift apart with them.

Funnily enough I logged on facebook for the first time in forever and one the girls has a daughter now that she gave the feminine form of my name to. It made me chuckle but realistically its unrelated.

Tams

Never happened to me, but I did unintentionally do it to a girl once. She ended up dating and marrying my work colleague at the time and they have a baby now.

It didn't bother me though, as while she was hot, we were not compatible personalities. Her now husband is a great match. Like, perfect match.

I do still get the feeling she likes me. After they'd been dating a bit, she interacted with me as little as she could.

Looking back, my first time spending time with her probably looked like a date to her, but I was just being nice. 🤷

Tams

I'm inclined to agree. The men who say they don't want to bang their female friends are saying that because:

1) they're gay
2) the girl is unattractive
3) those feelings haven't developed...yet, or
4) because admitting it would hurt their chances of banging them in the future lol

I'm sure there are exceptions and more nuance, but the above has been my experience as an outside observer

I sort of agree.

I think men and women can just be friends and for entire lifetimes never develop romantic or sexual feelings. But the base instincts will always be there. I think it's less likely if one and even less likely if both are sexually and romantically satisfied elsewhere.

Aesius

I still sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and think about the time teen me went out with a girl he liked and she basically said she would like to misbehave but didnt have someone to misbehave with.

I dont remember exactly what my response was but I dropped her off at her place and went home :messenger_neutral:

So I guess I friendzoned her.

In my defense I was head over heels over a different girl (that friendzoned me lmfao).
Those moments are painful to remember.

I studied abroad in college and hit it off with a girl from another college on the same trip. A few weeks in we were sitting outside the dorm and another girl from the trip came stumbling home drunk with a local guy in tow.

Girl I was sitting next to commented how she wanted to hook up on the trip but not with a local, only with someone who was also on the trip.

20 year old me wondered which guy she was talking about. This was also after we had spent the entire day exploring the city together…

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I was in a relationship with a girl one time. She got pregnant, but I had not done the things to get her there. That relationship ended. It wasn't a friend zone but and ending. She did add me on Facebook years later. I didn't recognize her.

Mr Blobby

by chance, have you also pretended not to know what a potato was?

JCK75

Once - I had a girl I dated for a few months in high school
I was into her but her parents liked her ex and could not handle that she broke up with him and we didn't work out
We crossed paths like 10 years later and she asked for my number, started hanging out then she would start making out with me but we'd stop at a certain point.
after a while the blue balls started to get to me and she informed me she is engaged to a man who is away in the military..
I just cut it off there.

Last edited:

tkscz

I'd say about 4 times but I consider being Friend Zoned being when you agree to be Friends but they get bent out of shape when you start dating someone.

Like hey, this was your idea.

NahaNago

Officially, I'd say twice. It has definitely happened more than that but I just don't really care that much about the others. They were more of like an, "oh well".

nush

Once - I had a girl I dated for a few months in high school
I was into her but her parents liked her ex and could not handle that she broke up with him and we didn't work out
We crossed paths like 10 years later and she asked for my number, started hanging out then she would start making out with me but we'd stop at a certain point.
after a while the blue balls started to get to him and she informed me she is engaged to a man who is away in the military..
I just cut it off there.
No Jodie, respect.

Banjo64

cumsessed
There’s no such thing as the friend zone.

There’s meeting someone, and they either want to date you or they don’t.

It is up to you whether you want to then befriend them or just fuck them off completely.

Acting like a snivelling arse licker in the hope that she’s going to one day realise she doesn’t love Chad’s massive cock but actually wants your shrivelled pecker is delusional thinking.

nush

Acting like a snivelling arse licker in the hope that she’s going to one day realise she doesn’t love Chad’s massive cock but actually wants your shrivelled pecker is delusional thinking.
That investment often pays off when she hit’s the wall. Effort to return value is low.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
*pulls up chair* Let's have a talk, guy.

Men are socialized to bottle up all their feelings, and maintain superficial friendships with other men where they talk about sports and games and bullshit, with no healthy outlet for actual intimate friendship because that would be gay or something.

Then they make a female friend and suddenly it's not gay to talk about their feelings, and they experience the intimacy of real friendship that they don't normally get, and then mistake that friendship for feelings of love. And so, over and over, they think they're falling in love with every woman that listens to them talk about shit on a deeper level.

But it's not love just because she is serving an unfulfilled need in your life. You don't "fall in love" with someone who isn't even sending vibes back. That's not what love is. You're not in the friend zone, you're just a shitty friend with poor emotional hygiene, and she isn't returning your feelings because she isn't an emotionally repressed idiot like you.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
For real, though, I do believe that you put people on "tracks" in your life, where people either are or aren't potential mates. And if they aren't, that's generally not going to change.

But you should be making these calls early in a relationship. I usually give it no more than 3 months. If I haven't hooked up with a woman in the first three months, there's probably a reason, and so she is going on the friend track and she's going to stay there.

And of course women do this to you as well. But it should be mutual because why the hell would you still be pining after a girl after months or years of platonic friendship and no sexual chemistry.

jdforge

Banned
I was friend zoned once by the hottest girl in our school. We ended up going to the same Uni and she was every bit as popular there. However still showed no interest in me aside from being friends.

Now that we are grown up and I’ve become successful she’s the one chasing for the D. It’s not even clandestine either. It’s whining why won’t you just fuck me type chat.

Women are turned on by money and status and what you can give them in life. Learn this and accept it.

iPaul93

Once when I was 13. I had a huge crush on this girl in my school but she just wanted to be friends I guess.

MarkMe2525

I was friend zoned once by the hottest girl in our school. We ended up going to the same Uni and she was every bit as popular there. However still showed no interest in me aside from being friends.

Now that we are grown up and I’ve become successful she’s the one chasing for the D. It’s not even clandestine either. It’s whining why won’t you just fuck me type chat.

Women are turned on by money and status and what you can give them in life. Learn this and accept it.
This is like fanfic…. but about your own life.

Top Bottom