• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many your consoles malfunctioned?

Naked Lunch

My Gamecube cd laser died. (replaced CD drive with GC Loader ODE - console works fine now)
OG Xbox capacitors failed. (still have yet to fix it by soldering in new ones)
360 Red ring of death. (sent a replacement console by MS which still runs today)
Xbox One X HDD failure. (ditto)

Theres an Xbox pattern there unfortunately...

Last edited:

Quartermuncher

Neo Member
As we speak, my Switch is fried and has to be shipped to Nintendo to fix the issue. It was purchased at launch year so it's not the worst issue, i guess. :/

intbal

The laser died in the Thomson drive of my launch Xbox from 2001. That was probably around 2010.
I replaced it with a Samsung drive I got off Ebay, which has been working ever since.

That's the only problems I've ever had among my Ataris, Nintendos, and Xboxes.
Although I bet my NES in the attic would need quite a bit of delicate handling to get those cartridges to line up with the pins.

Also, if you want to count the Commodore 64 as a console, both of my 1541 disk drives died.
I don't remember what happened to my Pong clone. Probably still works perfectly in a landfill somewhere.

poodaddy

PS3, 360, PS2, Xbox One X, original Xbox, PS1, and Wii U have all fucked up on me to varying degrees. In general, it seems Ninty has the best record with me, with Sony and Microsoft hardware both being equally kinda shit.

Dr.brain64

Two DS lite. Hinge broke and then top screen stopped working.
Wii now makes a big noise when disc is spinning. Still works though.

Havoc2049

Xbox 360- twice with RROD, but both were replaced for free
Switch Lite- just bricked and stopped working
Atari Lynx-- screen died

Dreamcast, actually twice with the controller ports shorting out.

PSone, disc drive wore out
PS2, DRE

360, got IIRC three RRoD

None since that weren’t due to negligence (WiiU, one of the kids accidentally stepped on the gamepad or whatever the controller was called).

I think they’ve all done a great job lately making consoles that work at launch and stay working.

Of course, doesn’t compare to the past. My Genesis was once submerged in a flood for almost three hours, I let it dry out in the sun for awhile and it booted right back up when I slapped NBA Jam in it.

El Muerto

PS1 - laser died
PS2 - laser died
OG Xbox - RROD
Dreamcast - randomly reboots, fixed by sanding psu pins
Atari 2600 - Power switch broke, needed to be resoldered
PS4 - drive wouldnt grab the disc, had to disassemble and clean rollers.
Game Gear - bad caps
Commodore 128 - bad caps
Magnavox Odyssey 2 - bad coax cable, had to replace.

near

Gold Member
My launch PS1 didn't read discs, had to get an immediate replacement. My X360 got the RRoD. My launch PS3 eventually got the YLoD. Every other console and system I've bought still works to this day.

Rayderism

I've been mostly lucky, but over the course of nearly 50 years of gaming, there have been a few....

Commodore 64 - had some chips go bad as a result of a bad power supply. Multiple instances of this problem back then.

Vectrex - the spring in the controller joysticks broke, leaving the sticks to just flop around.

Intellivision - the directional disk (D-Pad) dug a groove in its circuit board membrane and quit working.

SegaCD - disk drive quit reading disks.

Playstation 1 - the disk drive spindle shattered into about 5 pieces.

PS3 - controllers started going nuts (random inputs). Was able to fix this issue though.

PS4 - a controller developed stick drift.

PS5 - another controller with stick drift.

I think that's about it.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
PS One: Had to be turned upside down to work
Gameboy: Pixels dying on screen
PS2: Stopped reading discs
Gamecube: Stopped Reading discs
Xbox 360: RROD 3 times
Switch Joycon stick drift
Xbox One controller right shoulder button snapped off

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
My $600 PS3 that I purchased in 2008 died about a year and 10 months after I bought it. I had gotten the extended warranty through Best Buy though, so it worked out great. The way the program worked back then (not sure if it works this way now) is that they loaded the full price of your original purchase onto a Best Buy gift card and you could then turn around a re-purchase the item. Well, by that point the PS3 Slim had released at $299. That meant that I was able to buy the new PS3 Slim, and I still had $300 bucks to spent. Best console malfunction ever.

I had 2 360s with the RROD, my launch PS3 got the Yellow Light of Death, and my Xbox Series X died the day after I got it. My Dreamcast disc drive is dying, but aside from that I've had decent luck with my systems.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Sega Master System - Controller ports stopped working

PS1 - Controller ports stopped working

PS3 60gb - Stopped reading PS2 DVD's

360 x2 - Red ring of death and E71 error.

None of my consoles have ever died, but every single person I knew with an original Xbox 360 had to have it replaced at least once, with one of my friends having to RMA his six(!) times. I didn't get one until the slim model was out, so I dodged that bullet.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I lost multiple PS2's to disc read errors. Multiple XB360's to red rings and one Xbox to... I don't even know. I never sent it in for repair.

Last edited:
Blew a fuse in one of my PS2s a while ago due to a short in a modified network adapter, but it was easy enough to fix.

Does that count?

Had 3 Xbox 360z that did rrod on me
Other than that I don't think I ever had a problem with any console
Still have a launch day ps4 that runs like a jet engine but works absolutely perfectly

LostDonkey

None of my consoles have ever died, but every single person I knew with an original Xbox 360 had to have it replaced at least once, with one of my friends having to RMA his six(!) times. I didn't get one until the slim model was out, so I dodged that bullet.

I had the original UK launch day Xbox 360 20gb model, sold it to a friend a few years back and it's still going to this day!

Only the Wii U. The HDMI port was dead within 2 years. Bought another and now is the LCD screen that is dying. Nintendo really dropped the ball with that one. Cheap as hell.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I had to replace my NES in the 90s. Nintendo's service department just swapped it for $25 I think.

Didn't own anything in the 7th gen.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
First GameCube died because of a poorly placed 2 liter.

First PS3 (60gb) got the YLOD after like ten years.

Second PS3, laser went bad.

PS5 overheated once this past Summer.

That's it.

Reaseru

The 6th gen of consoles besides being probably the best gen concerning games, it was also the worst gen when we talk about console malfunctions.

Almost everyone here had problems either with PS3 or 360...

Aion002

My launch ps1, ps3 and ps4 died before the end of their gens and I had to buy the slim versions.

My launch Ps2 is still alive, it's probably immortal.

queen text GIF

wvnative

PS1, my fault, spilled coke on it

PS2 disc read error after two years

PS3 gpu melted

PS4 HDMI port failed

Hmmm...I've only ever had Sony consoles fail on me...

I must have been blessed by the hardware gods. Never had hardware issues, not even with a launch Xbox 360 from Best Buy in 2005 lol.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Lasers went bad on my OG PS1, PS2, and Dreamcast. Had to rebuy all three. X360 had the RROD but MS fixed it for free through the coffin program. Never had a Nintendo console totally fail, my NES from 1985 has a replacement cart reader though and that’s made it reliably boot games on the first try.

RagnarokIV

Launch PS2 - disc read error (after 2 years)
Launch 360 - RROD x1 (after 4 years!)
PS3 - YLOD x1 (again 2 or 3 years in)

ShakenG

Out of...
PS1,2,3,4,5
Vita, psp
SEGA
Xbox360
Switch, ds, advance, colour, wii, gameboy.
Few PC and laptops.

None. Ive never had a single system die on me. Maybe part luck and part taking care of them.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Only the original Xbox 360 completely failed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Have also my SNES with graphic scrambled output (like corrupted blocks of pixel) and my original Gameboy with no more sound.

Xellos

Gameboy (original) - Screen was dying, local Nintendo service center was able to replace screen
PS1 - Disc drive died
PS2 - Disc drive died
Wii - Audio failed, games still played but audio would go out. Sent to Nintendo for repair
X360 - RROD
PS3 - YLOD

All first-run, launch model hardware. Never had an issue with slim/revised hardware.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
My PS2 failed a few times, but there was a shop in town that was able to fix it.

I bought a second Xbox 360 because the disc drive failed on one. Then the other disc drive failed and somehow the first started working again.

Top Bottom