• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many your consoles malfunctioned?

I've had four failures, but I think it's because I bought a lot of my consoles secondhand. In order:
1x PS1 stopped reading discs
1x Dreamcast with failed disc drive (this one was new, so extra bummer)
1x Xbox 360 with RROD
1x PS3 with YLOD (This happened way after I initially purchased, like 2019 maybe)

I had a ton of consoles growing up and they never failed, most 80's and 90's consoles were built like tanks.

Thabass

I've had a couple, but not many.

1. N64 - Kinda died, but was my fault. As I was taking out Goldeneye out of the system, the actual board broke off and had to get a new N64 (couldn't get the board out) and a new Goldeneye. At the time I was devastated.
2. Xbox 360 - While it lasted through most of the it's the console's lifecycle, my original Xbox 360 red-ringed, but this was after I got a new Xbox 360 (Elite).
3. Xbox Series X - 24 hours after getting it, the system somehow got overloaded and the PSU went. I had a new Series X a week later because Microsoft's support team kicks ass.

That's. The rest had just died due to age or are just in storage somewhere.

My PS3 died after Last of Us but I was able to finish it though. It just hasn't worked after that. Luckily for me the ps4 was right around the corner

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Pretty sure my Wii drive is dead, but I modded it a long time ago so it has no impact unless somehow I wanted to buy a game and rip it myself.

TexMex

My original Playstation, but I bought it used.

I had 3, 360's RROD on me. I take great care of all my hardware. They were fixing them for free, but on the third I said fuck it. Abandoned them entirely until Series X last year.

Kerotan

I have owned PS1-5 and only once did a ps3 get the yellow light of death. Replaced it with a nice and tidy super slim and it still gets used today.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The early consoles werent technically mine as they were family systems. First one I bought with my own money was SNES.

Intellivision - ok
NES - ok
Genesis - ok
SNES - ok

(well look at that, all the old ass cartridge systems worked)

PS1 - needed to do upside trick, then eventually it barely worked unless I kept trying for 15 minutes and maybe it would work. it got to a point I just gave it to a coworker
PS2 - ok
360 - RROD after 6 years. That 20 gb pro system almost lasted to X1. It would RROD in year 6, but I could still play. But just like PS1 upside down it got worse and worse and finally barely worked. Skyrim seemed to kill the system as it would always bomb at a loading screen
X1 - ok
X1X - couldnt get past the initial patch update. Stalled at 98%
XSX - ok

hinch7

At the time when I owned a PSP (1000) it randomly stopped charging one day (after 2-3 years or so) and was basically dead. Dead screen and no power but only a LED when plugged in. Replaced with a slim 2000 model refresh.

Tbf I did take it everywhere with me and thrown in my bag a lot, so most likely my fault.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
- Famicom blew up a few times either because I kept it on for days or I had the wrong adaptor for it.

- OG PS1 and OG PS2 had laser problems much later.

- OG PS3 just died months ago.

- OG PS4 spat out discs after a while.

- OG Xbox turns off on its own for a while now. I think it's the known capacitor issue.

- OG Xbox 360 RROD a year+ later.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

My colecovision died but the console market was dead by then so it didn’t matter (especially since I had a C64). My original Xbox died the moment I plugged it in for the first time (got it replaced the same day at walmart). I had 2 Xbox 360s die on me due to its faulty design. My 3rd one was a newer revision but I didn’t want to take the chance, so I sold it and stuck with my PS3 for the rest of the generation. Man that gen really sucked early on, 360s failing and the PS3 too expensive.

on christmas i got a bad og xbox. I was so sad. Costco wasn't near by so it took a couple days to swap it out. I do remember playing it on the mini tv in our family Suburban plus the hotel afterwords with my brothers tho so that was a core memory.

Same xbox that I modded got broke somehow while I was away. I suspect my dad moved it into storage aggro haha.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Xbox 360 RROD
PS4 Pro blown power supply
Milton Bradley Microvision screen rot

I think that might be it.

Justin9mm

40 here, never had a console die/malfunction in my gaming life. From my original Atari, Commodore 64, NES, Mega Drive etc. To launch PS1, PS2 and even PS3. I also had a 360 at one stage, wasn't keen on Xbox back then but that also had no issues. I mean I did have to blow in my NES cartridges and shit like that lol but no actual malfunctions that needed to get fixed.

I'm always perplexed by the people who have multiple consoles die like going through 4 or 5 360's. I always felt like I must be taking care of my stuff better than others.

Last edited:

Ryūtō

Currently my PS4. It got a corrupted database somehow. It still turns on and can(?) still boot games, but the interface is super laggy. After awhile it just turns off by itself, but doesn't seem to be from overheating.

It could be an HDD issue and was also looking into buying a new motherboard, but in the end just decided to start saving for a PS5.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
YLOD on my fat PS3.

My first Wii fried its GPU from the heat of the wifi adapter which was a known issue back then.

RobRSG

3x Dreamcast - Unable to read discs.
2x PS3 fat - 1 YLOD and 1 Firmware Brick.
1x 2DS - Left it near a window during German winter, the thing had water inside it.
1x PS4 fat - Ejecting discs very often, clean up didn’t help.

draliko

1 Ylod PS3, 1 rrod 360 (multiple time btw, 3 in total I believe), 1 modded PS2 burned itself, 1 ps5 drive died, and a couple of game gears smashed as a kid😅

rolandss

My 40gb phat PS3 was the only one, but successfully fixed it myself and it ran without issue for years after. That would have been like 2008.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The Wii disc drive failed early on from launch.

Other than that nothing so far, just bad joysticks on Switch, and my brother spilled root bear on my N64 and it still worked.

Eimran

My first PS2 stopped reading DVD's after 2,5 years. My PS3 (40 Gb Fat), died after 4 years. Other than that all of them worked perfect.

My Sega Genesis still works after 30 years.

9keuJUp.jpg

cireza

I had two 360 and two PS3 dying on me. This generation was really unreliable.

Otherwise it was minor things that could be fixed easily, so not really worth noting. My Saturn and Mega-CD still work flawlessly. I do have some issues with my Dreamcast though.

King Dazzar

I had an Amiga CD32 stop loading games. Left it in a cupboard for a couple of months and it started working Ok again. I've owned off the top of my head: Sega Saturn, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, OG Xbox, Xbox 360, X1X, XSX, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5 and none of them have had issues. Though many of those I've sold within a year for one reason or another. My XSX disc drive is very noisy, though its been like that since launch.

StueyDuck

i had 2 and a half 360s die on me during the RROD, and I had a fatty ps2 and fatty ps3 die on me late late in their life cycles as in like 8 - 9 years later, so far sega and nintendo are holding out strong to this day with no issues.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Owned N64, PS2 2x, PS3 2x, PS4 Pro, PS5, Xbox, X360, XSX 2x, GCN.
DS Lite, 3DS, PSP, PSV, Switch.

The only time I had issues was dead laser in one PS2.

Stare-Bear

Banned
Owned NES, SNES, N64, PS3 Phat and Slim, PS4 Pro, PS5 and PC...

Only thing that conked out on me was my PC with a dodgy harddrive and GPU.

just_jr

ps3 fat - YLOD

I still remember this day... I was playing Dante's Inferno and then the console just died. I tried to fix it aiming a hot hairdryer to the GPU, but the repair only lasted for 30 min

Nankatsu

Gold Member
- PS1 started overheting over time and would completely freeze.
- PS3 had YLOD.
- PS4 Pro had a HDD issue.

Top Bottom