• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much do you spend on groceries/food/restaurants every month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil smoke

Banned
good question. For me it's $5 breakfast, $10 lunch. I use a delivery for groceries... about $100 every 2 weeks.

And then you have the liquor.

Flo

When I just got my money I eat luxurious (good meals). Then after about a week or so all the money is gone and I eat crackers and muesli 'till the next month arrives... I would guess about €150 a month.

Hooker

€325+ probably

'Healthy' appetite ^^. Sucks it's that much being a student and all. Housemates (female) spend like €150.

JRPereira

I'm still whittling it down a bit but I'm hovering around a goal of $100-150 a month. Gotta cook everything and buy in larger quantities/bulk, but it's worth it.

Chrono

Banned
Wow I really need to work on my budget...

I started this thread to get an idea on what I should be spending because I think at times I go up to a thousand each month and I don't know where it all went. I think I'll start with $500 next month and see how I manage.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Chrono said:
Wow I really need to work on my budget...

I started this thread to get an idea on what I should be spending because I think at times I go up to a thousand each month and I don't know where it all went. I think I'll start with $500 next month and see how I manage.

for one person? That's way too much.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Geez. Well, for two people and a dog living one paycheck we spend about $400 per month on grocries, dog food, and eating out once per week. Small breakfast, decent lunch, large dinner. Delicious.

koam

I can't believe it's over $500. I've got this a chick so that's helping reduce the price a bit, but it's still crazy expensive. I have to cut it down to $50 a week.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
When I was a single retail worker, I'd say it was around $250-$300. Lots of junk food, tv dinners, ordering pizza, buying small amounts, etc. Now I'm in college, so I've tried to cut that down a bit. I'd say I spend around $125-$150 on groceries per month. But my girlfriend cooks 5 nights a week, so that helps the budget a lot. But that amount is just me. Combined I'd say it comes close to $350. She buys plenty of organic stuff, which makes her total more expensive.

I was surprised how much my food expenses went down when I stopped eating fast food or ordering pizza so often. Also think about going to less expensive restaurants, like Red Lobster. Getting a good sized meal + drinks for two people was less than $30 last time I went. But eating out will have to be a rare treat if you truly want to reduce your spending.

ghibli99

I spend, on average, about $10/day on food/groceries. It gets bumped up a little more because I like to go out for a nice meal or two on the weekends.

I was curious, so I checked what I spent last month to see what I'm actually spending. I charge 99% of everything to one card, so my results from last month ($344.18) are pretty close to what I figured up above. Some months more, some months less.

I've cut down quite a bit this year, though. It used to be far worse when I was going out to eat lunch every day w/ coworkers, spending $10-20 a pop, sometimes more.

The Chef

I just recently looked at the past 3 months and I spent an average of $350 on groceries a month as well as about $300 in eating out.

That is a painful realization. Thats a $1000 that I could have in my pocket if i would have decided to make a turkey sandwich at home instead of going and buying lunch everyday

I can get my food bill (with girlfriend included) down to $60 a month, but that's as tight as much budget can go. Usually it's around $200.

h_a_t

Around 200 per month on groceries.
Restaurants varies from month to month; depends if I'm dating anyone, how many hours of free time I have, etc.

bionic77

Probably an average of $200-300 on groceries a month. It is hard to say because we get our meat from a butcher and that usuallys lasts us a few months. We just get the greens and other veggies on a week to week basis.

I try to eat at home a lot because I like the food we cook better than most restaurants, but sometimes we go out a lot and it wouldn't be surprising to drop $500 in a month (but that is rare).

I imagine if we lived in a bigger city we would be spending a lot more on food though as the restaurants around us would be so much better. When you live in NYC you don't have to choose between Red Lobster and Olive Garden.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I spend about $500-$600 on groceries + dining out per month.
It's way too much.

Groceries are VERY good value since I don't buy any junk, but I spend a ton going out. It's significantly more if there are birthday parties, etc. that I need to attend during a month. I think it's okay if you think of dining out as food + entertainment. But if you're going out just because you're too lazy to cook, that's lame and a total waste of $.

I can't afford much now that I've bought Noam Chomsky's entire collection of works.

Actually, I probably spend a good $500 a month on food and groceries. I'm terribly wasteful and far too generous.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I do MS Money, so I know that I spend on average $300-$350 on outside food and $300 on groceries.

But this includes my wife as well.

Have a budget of $450 a month on groceries for me, wife and kid. That includes diapers and wipes, etc.

Have a budget of $260 month for entertainment. This includes eating out, snack food, games, movies, and pretty much everything we don't "need".

To keep track of my entire budget, I just share a spreadsheet with my wife in Google Docs. It is easy to know what I have spent, because groceries and entertainment is cash... I've found it is awfully easy to overspend at the grocery store if paying with debit or credit card.

Cheeto

Chrono said:
Wow, how do people do this... can you please post what you do with your budget?
1 trip a month to the grocery store for me. Usually ends up at around $125. I eat a lot of pasta's, and some chicken. Ricotta pastas like ravioli and tortellini to mix it up a bit.

My entire budget is probably close to $150-75 because I do eat out at work.

Koshiba

Too much. Maybe I should start keeping track and setting limits as well. Maybe then I'd make it through easier financially right now.

Chrono

Banned
RiskyChris said:
Did you not see my post where I spent half that on two people?

Oh yeah! You too, explain! :lol

Could location have anything to do with it btw? I suppose things could be cheaper in one area as opposed to another...

Tarazet

Chrono said:

Could location have anything to do with it btw? I suppose things could be cheaper in one area as opposed to another...

Costco, man. I live in a very expensive area, but there are two Costcos within 3 miles of me. I can eat like a king on a very reasonable budget.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
$4-5 for breakfast, $8-10 for lunch, 5 days a week. Eat out on Friday nights with GF, sometimes Sat. This is already ~$500 per month, before groceries, snacks, etc.

Damn, reading this thread has made me realize I probably spend too much on food. The sad thing is I've been eating a lot healther, but healthy = $$$.

suffah said:
$4-5 for breakfast, $8-10 for lunch, 5 days a week. Eat out on Friday nights with GF, sometimes Sat. This is already ~$500 per month, before groceries, snacks, etc.

Damn, reading this thread has made me realize I probably spend too much on food. The sad thing is I've been eating a lot healther, but healthy = $$$.

Maybe you should just eat less. Snacks aren't really necessary, and I find that anything more than a little cereal or a banana for breakfast is overkill.

Tarazet

JzeroT1437 said:
Maybe you should just eat less. Snacks aren't really necessary, and I find that anything more than a little cereal or a banana for breakfast is overkill.

I think in general Americans eat too much. And people think it's all right to eat a lot if you work out a lot.. and it is, but you wouldn't have to work out as much if you just ate less. That's one thing we could all learn from France.

tnw

Banned
I spend about 3000 yen or so a week on groceries, and then have a spending budget of 10,000 yen/week. I eat out for lunch sometimes or eat the company bento that are prepared for us and I buy my breakfast, so yeah

Chrono said:

$60/month for everything two people eat is REALLY tight and I do not recommend it for anyone, ever. I wasn't working this summer (sorting my life out), so I was trying to ease the economic burden on the GF and I by budgeting our food.

$15 a week will get you: 20 or so ramen noodle squares (they go good with a can of corn added, $0.50 more that way).

I also bought a lot of Totino's pizzas. For $1 you basically cover one meal for one person. I added a bit of shredded mozz to make it taste better (add 25 to 50 cents).

There were also decent frozen burritos that were $1 per, which would cover a meal.

Basically, we just didn't eat out and made all our own food. We went up to $150/month the next month since we felt like treating ourselves a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom