• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which discontinued food items do you miss?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
We all know by now that many food & drink items are always a favorite of our childhoods, including Pop-Tarts, Cheerios, Pepsi, Oreo, etc.

But there are many food & drink items we never got to try because they were discontinued years or decades earlier, or sales weren't that good to begin with. Many of these food & drink items were released in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s & 2010s, and were discontinued that many of us had never heard about these food & drink items or even got to try them out.

Many of these discontinued food & drink items have a cult following online, and in many cases, these food & drink items are brought back to the market.

Which discontinued food & drink items do you wish were brought back for you to try? Feel free to comment on any food & drink item as you wish.

For me, it's Red Bull Cola. It was always controversial because one of the ingredients was coca leaf extract. It tasted better than any normal soda and mixed very well with bourbon. I've never been a big soda drinker but I liked it because it had a unique flavor and didn't have that distinct cola aftertaste of industrial waste.

26255.png.aa74a8c3ef7147118a32d096240a7e9e.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I have three answers, and they're all drinks. They've all had limited revivals in recent years but I sure wish I could buy these whenever I wanted.

Surge
surge-16oz.png

My favorite soda of all time. It's finally come back - but it's always sold out everywhere. My local Burger King has this in their Coke freestyle machine, but it just doesn't taste right. Probably because, you know, Burger King. Also, I'm old now, and my body can't process this stuff like it did when I was in college.

Crystal Pepsi
shutterstock_721834738.jpg

I loved this stuff back in the early 90s, I never understood why they got rid of it. Also had a few short-run revivals, and I was lucky enough to snag a few bottles a couple of years back. Yep, still amazing.

Zima
ci-zima-7f27b04826b9f60d.jpeg

Man, I guess if someone ever builds a time machine I'm going back to the 90s. Zima was my alcoholic beverage of choice back in the day - it had that perfect combination of cheap, tasty, fizzy, and boozy. Also had a short revival a few years back where I picked up a few cases and had a blast of flavor nostalgia while getting wasted.

I guess I'm just a fan of carbonated drinks from the 90s.

Mossybrew

Zima
ci-zima-7f27b04826b9f60d.jpeg

Man, I guess if someone ever builds a time machine I'm going back to the 90s. Zima was my alcoholic beverage of choice back in the day - it had that perfect combination of cheap, tasty, fizzy, and boozy. Also had a short revival a few years back where I picked up a few cases and had a blast of flavor nostalgia while getting wasted.

I guess I'm just a fan of carbonated drinks from the 90s.

I had a brief Zima phase as well. Missed that revival though, too bad.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
We don't have McFish here anymore. It's just chicken or beef.

belmarduk

For me, it's Red Bull Cola. It was always controversial because one of the ingredients was coca leaf extract. It tasted better than any normal soda and mixed very well with bourbon. I've never been a big soda drinker but I liked it because it had a unique flavor and didn't have that distinct cola aftertaste of industrial waste.

26255.png.aa74a8c3ef7147118a32d096240a7e9e.png

A thousand times this. Red Bull Cola was better than Coke, Pepsi and RC Cola combined. I would buy this by pallet if it were still available.

dave_d

Got to go with Morton Donuts

They were frozen and you just put them in the oven for a few minutes to heat them up.(A nice hot donut) I think they had cinnamon-sugar, glazed, and chocolate frosted.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Quiznos. The chicken carbonara sub was top tier. Only know of one in the Denver airport now.

cinam toast crunch has changed their flavor. It isn’t as good as it use to be. They reduced the sugar content.

kraft Mac and cheese changed the recipe too. I can tell.

my moms potato salad. I don’t have the recipe.

kunonabi

Bonkers candy
Red lobsters original BBQ sauce
Various classic cereals like dunkin donuts and ghostbusters
Popeyes original chicken nuggets

BossLackey

Gold Member
Mountain Dew Pitch Black II
Taco Bell Lava Sauce (it was back for like five fucking seconds.)
A certain flavor of spicy Dorito. Can't remember what it was called.

these were my favourite crisps. I think they must’ve been discontinued about 20 years ago. I still think about them now and then :messenger_crying:

goldenwonder-hot-ch.jpg

And these pot noodles (especially the Posh ones!) . I think these also changed in ~2003. The posh noodles were limited edition and of course Pot noodles still exist but they have very little taste to them.

varieties-of-pot-noodle-on-display-in-a-glass-case-at-the-factory-AHF27D.jpg

My favourite is chicken and mushroom. I remember you used to get “chunks” of mushroom but now it’s microscopic pieces and the chicken just comes from the powder. The soy sauce packet might as well be a drop of water for all it offers. It’s not even enough to flavour the whole pot! I usually add my own soy sauce. And they have the fucking cheek to charge £1.40 per pot!! Can’t remember how much they were in the 00s but it wasn’t long ago you could get a pot for 70p!!

It’s been a long time since I had a posh noodle but if I remember right the difference was the type of noodle. I’m no noodle expert but compared to the normal pot noodle the posh had a longer and thicker noodle (heh). Also there was much larger pieces of whatever the fuck … mushroom, chilli, etc.

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

Crystal Pepsi. They brought it back a few years back but they didn't bring back the feeling of hide-and-seek outside and then Pizza Hut delivery for the Friday night D&D session/Street Fighter 2 competition.

Last edited:

Liljagare

We have alot of dipmixes, but my all time favourite was discontinued due to the spices getting too expensive. Was a perfect taco dip mix, never been able to recreate the recipy. You just mix them with sour cream.

There are ripoff brands, but nobody has nailed the flavour like they did!

yWmf7Em.jpg

Top Bottom