• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much do you spend on groceries/food/restaurants every month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lelielle

You can save a lot by buying staple ingredients in bulk and learning how to cook, also don't eat out so much. I've always liked quality over quantity, I'd rather savor a little of something delicious and good quality than scarfing down a load of junk.

probably around 150 dollars. I usually cook, and I try not to go to expensive restaurants, so that definitely helps

Oh, and I live less than 10 minutes away from my job, so I get to go home for lunch and eat leftovers from the night before :D

ghibli99

The Chef said:
I just recently looked at the past 3 months and I spent an average of $350 on groceries a month as well as about $300 in eating out.

That is a painful realization. Thats a $1000 that I could have in my pocket if i would have decided to make a turkey sandwich at home instead of going and buying lunch everyday
You'd be pretty miserable eating the same thing every day, though, unless Subway was paying you to eat like that. ;)

Stronty

I'd say I spend $450-600 a month on just myself, I think my trouble is that I just eat too much being 6'3" and about 240 lbs. I buy alot of fresh fruits and organic stuff so that's a major factor in price. I might be able to cut my food intake in half to cut down on my food bill. Growing up my family would buy about 7 gallons of milk/week, that was mostly myself and my 2 brothers consuming that much, thankfully I don't drink that much anymore.

For the people asking how some of us can spend so little:

A typical breakfast for me is 3 eggs, and lunch will be about a cup of tuna and lettuce, with a snack sometimes of some raw oatmeal [yes, raw, I just pour some out in a bowl and eat it while I work on my diss]. For dinner I'm eating a little more complex foods. But you can get your nutrients and your calories in without blowing your budget. And I'm 5'9 and a reasonably lean 210lbs [hell, I'm ripped by most gamers' standards :lol ], so it's not like I'm starving.

Chrono said:
Wow, how do people do this... can you please post what you do with your budget?

I eat simple, whole foods.

My grocery list consists of: Bags of chicken breast, Omega 3 Eggs, Brown Rice, Old Fashioned Oats, Cottage Cheese, A1 Steak Sauce Bold and Spicy, and some fresh fruit. The chicken breasts typically take up almost half of my budget though. Not real cheap.

sonarrat said:
I think in general Americans eat too much. And people think it's all right to eat a lot if you work out a lot.. and it is, but you wouldn't have to work out as much if you just ate less. That's one thing we could all learn from France.

Why would you have to work out less? Working out isn't all about taking/keeping the pounds off. At some point it becomes more about building strength and stamina.

Anyway, I spend between 300 and 450 a month between me and my wife. We eat out every Saturday night.

Tarazet

MikeOfTheLivingDead said:
Why would you have to work out less? Working out isn't all about taking/keeping the pounds off. At some point it becomes more about building strength and stamina.

Not too many people reach that point.

sonarrat said:
Not too many people reach that point.

Eh? Anyone who takes it seriously will in no time. I know I did. I have to eat natural peanut butter with my late night meal just to keep my calories up to my maintenance level.

Chrono

Banned
Cyan said:
How the hell do you spend $1000 /month? That's insane. I'm not exactly frugal, and I spend about $250-300/month. If I had to budget it down, I could easily manage on <$200/month.

Are we talking USD?

Yeah, USD... I don't know, it usually goes like this - I can't cook other than stuff like steak and one day I'd be particularly sick of fast food, so I order from the closest chinesee or italian restaurant and it'd be ~ $30 with tips or delivery cost. That's just one meal and I guess they pile up... >_>;

ghostmind

Used to be about $750/month for the family... now i've got it down to about $300 total. When my son gets older that is sure to go up though...

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
For my wife, myself and 2 kids: $450 a month on groceries, not including bread and milk. We order in/out once a week for about $35, so tack on another $175 (tips included). I just moved back out to the suburbs, when I was in Boston proper we spent about $700 on the same groceries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom