• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Much is Chrono Trigger Worth to You?

Kittonwy

Banned
Sapiens said:

It's crazy that someone would think Chrono Trigger is worth THAT much.
Indifferent2.gif

Camwi

Well I'm not surprised. The game always fetches a big price on eBay for a mint copy of the game, and I've ever seen a factory-sealed copy of it. If I was a millionaire, I'd buy it. :D

Pezking

I hope the buyer opens the game as soon as he gets it, and then uploads a "Unboxing Chrono Trigger"-Video on YouTube.

Wow, I bought Chrono Trigger a few years ago from a friend for $10. I did promise him I wouldn't sell it though, and it was just the cartridge. It was an awesome purchase, I have to say.

Onemic

Relix said:
I have seen people being banned over it, hell my first ban was because of the CSP3 when it was released. So yeah... keep on topic =P

Its still illegal as far as I know

From what I've read it's illegal if you don't delete it within 24 hours, however it's legal if you already own a copy of the game, but that's subject to what country you live in.

The story changes as the courts continually debate about it. Basically it's illegal.

Mamesj

Banned
tenchir said:
I wonder how much if I sell my collection on ebay.....

*pics*

probably $300 tops.

apparently, the person who bid didn't even think about the hang tag. There's a good chance it's resealed.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
HK-47 said:
=o

=O

:OOO

>:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If you're gonna like a JRPG better than Chrono Trigger it better be Chrono Cross or something made by Matsuno.

Is an unopened game considered "art" now? Because whomever buys it is never going to play it or open the box. Are they going to hang it up in one of their rooms and show all their friends the $1200 game they bought? But I guess paying millions for art is just the same.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mamesj said:
probably $300 tops.

apparently, the person who bid didn't even think about the hang tag. There's a good chance it's resealed.

If he resealed it than he did a very good job. I've used a non-factory shrink-wrap device before and the seal is usually never that clean.

Relix said:
You just confessed you download ROMs and play them on ZSNES. That alone is bannable. So, yeah, cross your fingers and hope a mod doesn't see it.

HEY LARRY!!! YOU JUST ESCAPED FROM PRISON!!! MAKE SURE YOU'RE QUIET!! THERE ARE COPS AROUND HERE!! LAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRYYYYYYY!!!!!!

Ecto311

Relix said:
You just confessed you download ROMs and play them on ZSNES. That alone is bannable. So, yeah, cross your fingers and hope a mod doesn't see it.

If you own the original then playing a download is legal. You can own all the copies/rips/mods of a game you own. And yeah cross your fingers because theres nothing else to life besides this forum..

Firestorm

Ecto311 said:
If you own the original then playing a download is legal. You can own all the copies/rips/mods of a game you own. And yeah cross your fingers because theres nothing else to life besides this forum..

No you can't. You can play any backup you create YOURSELF legally. You cannot download a copy even if you own the game. The 24 hour rule is a myth. That is not how it works.

Ecto311

Firestorm said:
No you can't. You can play any backup you create YOURSELF legally. You cannot download a copy even if you own the game. The 24 hour rule is a myth. That is not how it works.

Unless they came to your house and check for a rom ripper piece of hard ware - no one would know or prove you didn't rip the game your self. As long as you have the original you are safe.

Ecto311 said:
Unless they came to your house and check for a rom ripper piece of hard ware - no one would know or prove you didn't rip the game your self. As long as you have the original you are safe.

Downloading the data in itself is illegal. They don't need to come to your house to know if you're downloading illegal data.

fernoca

BRB..
I'm so calling the police now..so they can all trace your IP addresses and take all of you to jail...with no Free Pass cards!!!

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I love Chrono Trigger, it's in my top five favourite games of all time...

But that price is absolutely insane and there's no way I'd pay that much for it.

Maybe for Earthbound.

Alts

I bought a super famicom copy (complete in bx) for about $15. I was happy with the purchase. I'd like to get a copy in English, but a japanese one is fine too.

Also, for any shrink wrapped game fetishists out there, I heard that leaving a game in the shrink wrap for such a long time is bad as the shrink wrap will deform, and subsequently, deform the box. Any word on the validity of this?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I'd rather play the SNES version than the slideshow the PSX version became by the end.

I would not, however, rather pay $1200 extra for that luxury.

How high would you guys bid though? For a pristine, sealed copy like that I'd say $250 is my absolute limit.

Zoe

Synth_floyd said:
Is an unopened game considered "art" now?

To a serious collector, unopened and mint condition are requirements for any kind of collectable.

Is that really the original plastic wrap? I can't see the Nintendo strip that opens it... and I'm pretty sure 90% of my 3rd party SNES games still had that. Or maybe that's just a European thing... but to me that plastic wrap doesn't quite look right. I never had a SNES game wrapped like that.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That damn thing is so fake. It gives me more of a reason to believe so when it doesn't even have an original price sticker on it and judging by his auctions, all of his sealed games are like that. I could have all my games in pristine condition resealed just the way he has it and fool a bunch of idiots on Ebay. Kudos to him for ripping off some nut in Belgium.

That's why I love Sony's packaging. They have those UPC seals that are very hard to imitate.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I had a sealed copy like that once. But I left my little cousin in the room with it, and he opened it.

And then shat all over it.

Joei

This game is about that good. I've had my copy for 10+ years and it's still in about mint condition, and I've played through the SNES copy 15+ times. And if someone offered me 1000+ dollars for the game, I would say no thank you.

I got a boxed FFIII, Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger from Planet X in the Glendale Galleria when it first opened (So Cal residents may know where this is) I think Chrono was the most "expensive" at $20.

I got the original black label FFC on ebay for $60, I feel I got ripped, but w/e. Black label or nothing! >:[

Top Bottom