• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How problematic is Japan's social situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a white guy in Japan I get the good kind of racism: they tend to treat me overly well. I feel more valued there than I do in my own, white-dominated country. White privilege and all that.

It's night and day treatment from what other non-Japanese Asians and non-Whites get.

I'm sure there are some "no gaijin" things there that apply equally to all non-Japanese, but I'd have to dig deep to find them. I've never seen it.

You aren't digging very deep or very fortunate. Try moving to another apartment on your own without a Japanese friend or family member. You'll find plenty of places refuse you on the basis of you not being Japanese sometimes even if you got a girlfriend, boyfriend, or even your own employer, willing to vouch for you. This is regardless of how good your literacy is. I missed out on quite few good openings because of this after moving a couple of times .

The brunt of the racism falls on the Koreans and Chinese living in Japan. People openly admit that they don't trust or particularly like this particular group of immigrants.

Boss Mog

I don't think I've ever heard of a modern case where immigration actually worsened the condition of a country overall other than from xenophobia.

See this is why I rather not start talking about it because of self-righteous people who will jump at your throat and try to label you with xenophobia or racism when that's not the case at all and who are completely unwilling to accept a vision of the world that doesn't line up with theirs.

holy crap, you're still going down that road. Immigrants tend to get stuck doing stuff no one else will do.

I'm guessing you're American and when the topic of immigration comes up you think of Mexican immigrants "doing stuff no one else will do", but that's not what I'm referring to at all. In fact I believe Mexican immigrants probably have a positive impact on the US overall and the stereotype of them being lazy is completely wrong as they are some of the hardest working people I've seen. But the problems with the immigrants (and their citizen offspring) in my country are of a completely different nature, they were so severe that I had to leave.

FluxWaveZ

Boss★Moogle;112446529 said:
See this is why I rather not start talking about it because of self-righteous people who will jump at your throat and try to label you with xenophobia or racism when that's not the case at all and who are completely unwilling to accept a vision of the world that doesn't line up with theirs.

I'm not talking about self-righteousness, I'm talking about facts. Is there a case in the modern world where immigration worsened the state of a country, other than the opinions of overly nationalistic people?

Boss Mog

I'm not talking about self-righteousness, I'm talking about facts. Is there a case in the modern world where immigration worsened the state of a country, other than the opinions of overly nationalistic people?

See the way you phrase things with words like "facts". Your vision is obviously the one and only truth because you're all knowing and anybody who would dare disagree must just be "overly nationalistic".

AllenShrz

27eCnPn.gif

F2Ub04P.gif

bXywSXN.gif

What an idiotic post.

Dougald

Boss★Moogle;112447366 said:
See the way you phrase things with words like "facts". Your vision is obviously the one and only truth because you're all knowing and anybody who would dare disagree must just be "overly nationalistic".

The problem here is you acknowledge that you can easily come off as a xenophobic asshole by lamenting immigrants and decide not to post any actual examples for fear of sparking an argument, but then carry on complaining about them anyway without providing any examples.

You say you'd rather not talk about it, yet you are, and seem to be using that as an excuse to hide behind throwaway statements like immigrants imposing their culture on people and refusing to integrate. Please provide everyone with a more reasoned argument

Caesnd

You aren't digging very deep or very fortunate. Try moving to another apartment on your own without a Japanese friend or family member. You'll find plenty of places refuse you on the basis of you not being Japanese sometimes even if you got a girlfriend, boyfriend, or even your own employer, willing to vouch for you. This is regardless of how good your literacy is. I missed out on quite few good openings because of this after moving a couple of times .

The brunt of the racism falls on the Koreans and Chinese living in Japan. People openly admit that they don't trust or particularly like this particular group of immigrants.

This is my experience as well. I have personally found that the ones who have nothing but positive things to say are usually the ones who haven't stayed for very long.

BigDug13

This is my experience as well. I have personally found that the ones who have nothing but positive things to say are usually the ones who haven't stayed for very long.

Or were in the military. Housing office contracts out to specific approved real estate agents with English language rental agreements fully funded by the DoD. Drivers license is your US drivers license plus a short 1 day course plus easy driving-on-the-other-side-of-the-road test on the base and you're handed a drivers license. Military wives who are Japanese with nothing better to do than to buy cars at auction and sell them on base so you can find a cheap car ready to go. Others who do the registration paperwork for you for a fee. Cheaper food and department store items on base.

My experience living in Japan for 2 years was amazing, but for sure the fact that the military hooked up so many of the headache things associated with living in a foreign country made it more fun and less hassle.

i spend two years on japan and you must be blind or a complete japonofile to not see the rampant racism there

aim in blonde with blue eyes..i got little flak..but if you are indian or black..oh boy

FluxWaveZ

Boss★Moogle;112447366 said:

Sorry, but I'm not the one in the wrong here, you are. Facts are facts, data is data, which are very important when it comes to discussions like this, which is why I tried to provide various sources in my OP. I haven't made any claims that anyone is "overly nationalistic", but I was wondering if you had any evidence to support your thesis because I would be interested in reading about something like that. Apparently, since you are so ready to believe that I am personally claiming you are xenophobic or overly nationalistic, I'm starting to wonder if you actually are.

However, it's clear that you really don't have anything to present to the discussion, because all you're doing is going on and on in vague terms about how everyone is wrong and then making the ridiculous claim that you somehow are above presenting evidence to substantiate your claims because doing so to those that would want to see it are somehow more potentially affronted than you are, which is ridiculous. Provide facts that show what you're talking about or shut up.

US armed forces occupation.

Oh yeah, I suppose that's one such (special) example. Was kind of thinking of a more natural form of immigration though, heh.

This isn't all bad, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_and_crime

Overrepresentation in crime seems to be not too rare. I know there are other socioeconomic et al. factors but yeah.

Yeah, that's the kind of problem immigration can bring that I had read about. Like you mention (and as others have as well), though, those can also be more of a factor of poor integration than other things.

Balb

i spend two years on japan and you must be blind or a complete japonofile to not see the rampant racism there

aim in blonde with blue eyes..i got little flak..but if you are indian or black..oh boy

Is there well-documented racism against Indians and Blacks?

Boss★Moogle;112413700 said:
Yes, it prevents them from having big immigration issues with immigrants that refuse to conform and integrate into a country's society and culture and instead try to impose their own culture upon their host nation.

Immigration is a great thing but only if immigrants are willing to make efforts by doing simple things like learning the language, obeying the laws and basically trying to fit in and contribute to their new society rather than be a burden to it.

yeah breh, those dirty immigants breaking all the laws and shit cause they're stupid

faridmon

Boss★Moogle;112407796 said:
Personally I approve Japan's attitude towards foreigners. It's why they'll probably still be around in 60-80 years while some other countries won't.

What a banal and stupid post without any further reasoning behind this opinion.

Boss★Moogle;112413700 said:
Yes, it prevents them from having big immigration issues with immigrants that refuse to conform and integrate into a country's society and culture and instead try to impose their own culture upon their host nation.

Immigration is a great thing but only if immigrants are willing to make efforts by doing simple things like learning the language, obeying the laws and basically trying to fit in and contribute to their new society rather than be a burden to it.

Again, what a myopic statement. Germany and Scandinavia have successfully turned those immigration problems into solutions by integrating mass ''foreigners'' into their cultural; specs which also resulted in a great social integrity not found in many Eastern and Asian countries. Your post reads like a typical xenophobic person who voices ''Immigrants took our jobs''

YoungHav

Banned
Being white in Japan is not like being black. It's like being a welcomed special guest. An outsider, but extremely well-treated. I bet that restaurant was just trying to find the English-speaking waiter or everyone was too shy to serve the gaijin or something :p (sure sure, it could have been legitimate racism too, I can't know).

White people can't feel what it's like even in countries where they are the minority... too much privilege exported abroad....
Hahaha yup. Minorities kiss so much white ass it's not even funny. At least some people here recognize that privilege.

Nope. Both are new minorities in Japan. Indians have been setting up shop in good numbers for awhile and have whole pockets of cities where its basically just Indians. In general I can only imagine there has been racism but so far nothing I've seen a big stink about.

Blacks get lumped in together sadly. Usually people make no distinction of where they are from which is lame. Also once again, its a country who's views on other countries is very stereotype based so us black folk tend to have negative views thanks to media. IE you might hear some random people assume things that run the gambit of every negative thing you can think has been said about black people over the years. THAT SAID. Most people do not think that, but its kind of like "well don't be surprised if random 60 year old who has never met a black person thinks -insert w/e- because they have never met someone of color-"

And on the "No foreigners" stuff... 99% of the time those places, which I know exist but are SUPER HARD TO FIND, are doing some shady illegal shit inside guaranteed. 9 times out of 10 when you see someone making this complaint, they were trying to get into a prostitution place for sure.

my cousin was the official ambassador for four year in japan for my country, he absolutely loved it and prefered it to europe. i never heard him complaining about racism, in fact he told me that the respect he got from people(even from strangers from public places) was overwhelming, "it was just too much" he told me.

Any latino experiences? I'd like to know if the racism against mexicans is similar. (considering I want to go there in the future)
I never got hassled in three years and I lived in a semi rural town. Mot of the racism I know about in japan expresses itself as signage targeted at one group 'no Russians!' And is fairly limited. This is of course separate from the structural anti immigration policies that leaves most foreigners completely unable to participate in land/business ownership, elections, leaves them the lesser party in a divorce, etc

my cousin was the official ambassador for four year in japan for my country, he absolutely loved it and prefered it to europe. i never heard him complaining about racism, in fact he told me that the respect he got from people(even from strangers from public places) was overwhelming, "it was just too much" he told me.

Was he white though?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
holy crap, you're still going down that road. Immigrants tend to get stuck doing stuff no one else will do.

The reason people won't do those jobs is because said jobs are usually offering below-acceptable pay or working conditions, not out of necessity but out of a desire to increase profit margins. McDonalds' in Canada imports foreign labor to work in its McDonalds chain now.

It's quite funny actually how we always hear that if people want to make more money they should get better jobs, yet someone HAS to do those jobs, so why should they get ridiculously-low pay or terrible working conditions? It doesn't make sense. That's why enforcing proper working conditions and having a decent minimum wage is important; you have no more reason to claim that "people don't want to do those jobs so we have to import cheaper labor".

Porcile

I'm curious about the Asian discrimination. I would like to teach there and I'm thinking of applying for a couple things in October. I'm half Indian but don't really look Asian in any way except in skin colour and my name. Most people think I'm from mainland Europe like Spain, Italy or Greece. I'm assuming I would probably only come across the standard veiled discrimination that most foreigners would come across when living there i.e nothing to be too offended about, but obviously being treated slightly different to a local. Thoughts?

I would like to ask one thing since this topic came up now, how are people with disabilities viewed upon? I just ask out of curiosity.

I'm curious about the Asian discrimination. I would like to teach there and I'm thinking of applying for a couple things in October. I'm half Indian but don't really look Asian in any way except in skin colour and my name. Most people think I'm from mainland Europe like Spain, Italy or Greece. I'm assuming I would probably only come across the standard veiled discrimination that most foreigners would come across when living there i.e nothing to be too offended about, but obviously being treated slightly different to a local. Thoughts?
You will be fine. Most schools that employ foreigners as teachers are well acclimated to them. There won't be any shock for the host city to overcome. PS learn Japanese

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.

Not that I know of, but there is well documented racism in Japan against Filipinos. Of course, because there are lots of Filipinos who are living in Japan illegally.

Though as a Filipino-American who looks more Chinese or Japanese, I am not sure if I would get the same treatment. I will find out when I go to Japan next year, ha ha ha.

Porcile

You will be fine. Most schools that employ foreigners as teachers are well acclimated to them. There won't be any shock for the host city to overcome. PS learn Japanese

haha - yes, I understand Japan isn't that isolated. I'm more thinking if I end up in a rural town and not a city :)

Also, that wasn't really the question I was asking but thanks anyway :)

And meanwhile Japanese government debt is more than a quadrillion yen (yes, really) and they have to borrow money to cover nearly half their government's budget, the economy is stagnant, the population is shrinking...

Japan feels like a nation in terminal decline.

Any latino experiences? I'd like to know if the racism against mexicans is similar. (considering I want to go there in the future)
I had no problems when I went there. The rudest anyone was to me was an older lady giving me a dirty look when my wife and I kissed on an escalator (we'd just gotten engaged).

People seemed genuinely interested in helping us out whenever they could and were tickled pink at our (bad) attempts at communicating in Japanese and keen to answer questions regarding their customs, culture and local food. When we went to Spa World in Osaka (basically a huge public baths complex), some little kids stared at me, but that may be because he'd never seen a foreigner who looked quite like me before.

I don't know if it's still there, but if you ever get a chance to go to Takayama, check out a Mexican restaurant run by a local family. It may seem a bit weird to travel so far to get Mexican food, but the atmosphere is very warm and welcoming.

YoungHav

Banned
I had no problems when I went there. The rudest anyone was to me was an older lady giving me a dirty look when my wife and I kissed on an escalator.
I was going to go to Japan but since a single person in a country full of people was rude to a foreigner, I'm cancelling my tickets. -Shook entitled GAF.

Reallink

Anyone who played FFXI, PSO, or other JP centric online games for any amount of time should be very familiar with their overt racism.

KtSlime

yeah breh, those dirty immigants breaking all the laws and shit cause they're stupid

It's not completely unfounded, not because of stupidity, but because of differing ideas/habits. As to breaking the law, I'm not sure how much more immigrants in Japan do it vs how much more the police do racial profiling, so I won't comment on that. As to immigrants doing things or not doing things the correct way, I can kind of understand that point of view. In such a homogenous country where they are taught that there is one correct way to do something when immigrants do it another way, out of ignorance, laziness, or even genius it can be frustrating. If I have to get to work on time (and I do, unless I want to lose my bonus, or worse job) and I have it timed out to take 2 minutes to run from train A to train B and someone is standing on the right side of the escalator I can pretty much guarantee that they are a foreigner, and that's annoying. The list can go on and on, not taking off shoes indoors, not using an elevator correctly, eating while walking, etc. I occasionally see Japanese break many of these rules too, but it's really obvious when a foreigner does it and if you value these rules and protecting them I can see how it could make people who want to maintain the status quo upset and suspicious of immigrants.

Anyone who played FFXI, PSO, or other JP centric online games for any amount of time should be very familiar with their overt racism.

And anyone playing CoD will know the USA's overt homophobia.

Try to make a travel visa without any travel group as a mainland chinese...
Iirc my gf had to, at the time we tried it, earn 1.000.000 rmb each year to get a normal 2 week travel visa. No normal chinese even earns that much in 10 years...
Was so pissed at that.

We already looked for hotels, made travel plan and thought "apply for a travel visa wont be hard"...

RSLAEV

Boss★Moogle;112407796 said:
Personally I approve Japan's attitude towards foreigners. It's why they'll probably still be around in 60-80 years while some other countries won't.

Who "isn't going to be around" in 60-80 years? what does that mean?

I approve of their attitude because that means we'll get the foreigners that they're missing out on. Hell we'll even take some of their people too!

Try to make a travel visa without any travel group as a mainland chinese...
Iirc my gf had to, at the time we tried it, earn 1.000.000 rmb each year to get a normal 2 week travel visa. No normal chinese even earns that much in 10 years...
Was so pissed at that.

We already looked for hotels, made travel plan and thought "apply for a travel visa wont be hard"...

I believe it. I don't think it helps being Chinese especially now that both governments are butting heads over rocks and China expanding its EEZ in the s. China sea.

Japan is missing out on easy tourism money because of systems in place like the one that prevented your gf from entering. At this rate Japan's economy is going to bottom out if China eventually says the heck with trading with Japan anymore or vice versa. It would be bad for both countries.

rothgar

Everyone was real nice when I went there for two weeks, with the exception of the security guard at Nintendo HQ in Kyoto who would not let me into the building :) Pretty sure that wasn't a racial thing. I asked him in broken japanese if I could go in the building, and he gave me the "batsu" by crossing his arms.

KtSlime

Everyone was real nice when I went there for two weeks, with the exception of the security guard at Nintendo HQ in Kyoto who would not let me into the building :) Pretty sure that wasn't a racial thing. I asked him in broken japanese if I could go in the building, and he gave me the "batsu" by crossing his arms.

I find the Japanese use of the batsu gesture pretty funny, I like when they say 'no' with it. If you know enough Japanese to understand batsu, you know enough to understand 'ie', 'dekimasem' and 'ikemasen'.

Perhaps it is used in other cultures, but I suspect it is a purely japanese gesture, it certainly was never used where I grew up in the States.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom