• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How sluggish will the Gta 6 controls be?

Spyxos

Gold Member
I played a lot of Gta 5 but I always noticed the sluggish controls. I was hoping that it would be better with Red Dead Redemption 2. Well, the controls became even more sluggish in rdr2. Now I'm wondering what the controls will be like in Gta 6. A mix of Gta 5 and rdr2 or will it be even worse?

Gta 5 character controls

Car Fail GIF

Rdr 2 character controls

tank GIF

Robb

Gold Member
I’m guessing it’ll be worse than ever, but hoping they’ve actually improved in that area. If it’s as sluggish as their recent titles I’m not interested. Nothing ruins a game more than bad/sluggish controls.

Surely someone over at R* has to be play-testing and thinking “this feels like absolute shit to play”. At least I hope so.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It controls fine. I don't see the hate regarding RDR2/GTAIV/V's controls.

The mashing A to move thing is a pain in the ass, but otherwise the game controls how you'd expect. If the physics simulation takes an upturn the character control has to be more realistic too.

Bond007

Aim assist in a game like GTA with a tiny reticle is helpful. I dont find it very fun to shoot without the assist
Only game i have no problem with it

Last edited:

Vlodril

Hopefully better than rdr2 or any of the gta games. Doubtful but who knows.

What i want to know is will they actual have some decent mission design or is it going to be another kill 3000 o'driscoll (i loved rdr2 but mission design and controls were really poor. They get a pass from everyone because their world building is second to none).

Raonak

Banned
I really hope it's better, but I doubt it will be.

GTA and RDR games have been frustraing to play because of the horrible on foot controls. It's one of those games where the moment to moment gameplay isn't actually fun.

It's not just the pressing x to run, but just the terrible response time in general. There's a distinct feeling of running through sludge. (I can turn around faster than a GTA character)

And the fact that if anything minor clips you then you turn into an unresponsive ragdol.

And the aiming is so bad that auto aim actually defaulted. That's how bad it is. Like shooting should be the fun part of the game, but instead it feels terrible.

Shut0wen

As someone who isnt the slightest bothered about gta6, im pretty sure the early gameplay code that was leaked the animations for shooting were smoother and so was the movement but still looked slightly sluggish but as bad as rdr2 and gta5s but at the end of the every gta since 4 is a glorified tech demo with some great writing

Last edited:

GymWolf

I honestly don't even care.

Gimme that heavy truck of a man to control and make the animations as realistic as possible, i'm ok with controls similar to rdr2.

It's one game every 10 years, i can deal with controls that are not super snappy if the result are top of the class animations.

Of course if they can make controls ala tlou2 and still upgrade their animations i'm not gonna say no to that.

I'm way more interested in how they are gonna change their archaic mission design, that shit has to go or at least it should be saved for the most important story driven missions, gimme gta3 level of control at the very least.

Last edited:
It controls fine. I don't see the hate regarding RDR2/GTAIV/V's controls.

The mashing A to move thing is a pain in the ass, but otherwise the game controls how you'd expect. If the physics simulation takes an upturn the character control has to be more realistic too.
Realistic animations don't mean the game has to control like ass. The last of us 2 showed us that.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Realistic animations don't mean the game has to control like ass. The last of us 2 showed us that.
The last of us 2 doesn't account for all the different vehicle simulations and ragdolls and all that other junk that goes into a gta game. Not that I have played TLOU2, so I honestly don't care much

GymWolf

Yeah and i think that specifically the movements are more realistic looking in rdr2 because of that.

Tlou2 still look a bit gamey in some instances when you move around.

There is always a trade off dude, the more the animation become real, the more controls are gonna be a pain in the ass.

But only rockstar do this so it's not really a common problem, quite the opposite, a lot of games have light characters that slide instead of actually walking.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If R* prioritize graphics and "realism" over actual gameplay and proper mission designs then I have no interest in this game......I want to enjoy actual playing the game, not stare at the graphics.

Shubh_C63

RDR2 felt to me much about grace, movements are so restricted opening a door or getting out of your horse felt like a masterpiece cutscene.

GTA6 probably needs to tone it down because it going to be much more chaos. If it did had RDR2 like control I am actually gonna wait for PC to first play this.

Yeah and i think that specifically the movements are more realistic looking in rdr2 because of that.

Tlou2 still look a bit gamey in some instances when you move around.

There is always a trade off dude, the more the animation become real, the more controls are gonna be a pain in the ass.

But only rockstar do this so it's not really a common problem, quite the opposite, a lot of games have light characters that slide instead of actually walking.
Well I just want to see Rockstar finally dragged over the coals for this.

They been getting away with it for so long lol

deathsaber

I think it will be responsive and very "gamey" like GTA5. RDR2 was going for more of this "real life-like" thing- where everything was slow, deliberate, given weight, etc, but thats not GTA. When they even slightly went down that road in GTA4 with weighty-er physics, it wasn't received well, so I don't see Rockstar going down that path again.

GymWolf

Well I just want to see Rockstar finally dragged over the coals for this.

They been getting away with it for so long lol
Don't get me wrong, i love rdr2 and it was my goty with gow2018, but that 97 on mc has always been bullshit and one of the many proof that modern reviewers and MC are useless.

I think that the restricted mission design is much worse than the controls tbh.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I keep quoting this because its something R* completely ignores.

Here’s a common situation: You’re patting yourself on the back for making an animation that looks super-cool and flows really nicely. Then, you put your perfect animation into the game engine and try controlling it, and it dawns on you that it’s too slow, too clunky. With tears in your eyes, you go back and cut away huge parts of your magnificent creation until it finally feels good.

As an animator first and foremost, there’s a lot you can’t help but want to leave in. But you’re not making a movie here – you’re making a game, and it has to be tight and responsive. The truest sign of a skilled game animator is their ability to make something great with the number of frames they’re given.

One of the challenge with animation in video games is you need cut some animation to make it responsive and smooth to control, while making it look good......R* apparently dont care about actually how it feels to control your character or how effects the combat as long as it looks pretty.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

It's a Rockstar game.
Thus it'll control like your holding your controller upside down while wearing oven mitts, underwater, in a straitjacket.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m glad someone is talking about this. It’s fundamentally difficult to implement realistic physics that also feel snappy and have nice gameplay. I feel like every time we get closer to reality in game animations, the less things feel like an enjoyable game. RDR2 is a perfect example of this. I love how dynamic and realistic the animations are, but I hate how sluggish the overall gameplay and movement feel.

For some reason I blame Uncharted.

GHG

Is it? Then how I could play every single one of them without any assist?

Yeh I didn't think that had been the case since San Andreas on the console side.

And even still, if you're playing them on PC you don't need to worry about aim assist getting in the way.

twilo99

If you have to do that then there are already fundamental issues with your aiming/control system and you're just masking it.

That's why games with heavy aim assist get exposed when playing with a keyboard and mouse.

That’s fundamentally every single game that involves shooting guns.. controllers are not meant for that particular mechanic in general, so they need be helped. We have very mature aim assist systems, so there is no reason to suffer.

Hugare

From the leaks? Just like GTA V

I doubt that they would change the whole gameplay only 2 years before the release, but we will see

GHG

That’s fundamentally every single game that involves shooting guns.. controllers are not meant for that particular mechanic in general, so they need be helped. We have very mature aim assist systems, so there is no reason to suffer.

?

There are plenty of very good shooters on PC that never make their way to console and don't have any form of native controller support.

Even if we are purely talking about games designed around consoles, if the controls are responsive enough then a heavy dose of aim assist is not necessary.

Top Bottom