• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How sluggish will the Gta 6 controls be?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
POV: Rofif about to receive his bj.

1KNF30P.png
Receive?

Sethbacca

The controls have always been what have turned me off from these games. I honestly don't know how these games have gotten as big as they have in spite of the controls being straight trash.

Guilty_AI

The controls have always been what have turned me off from these games. I honestly don't know how these games have gotten as big as they have in spite of the controls being straight trash.
Most people don't give a crap about the game being good or not, they just want to press buttons without worry and trigger cool cutscenes on the screen. Rockstar Games have been ultimate normie bait for a while now.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, i love rdr2 and it was my goty with gow2018, but that 97 on mc has always been bullshit and one of the many proof that modern reviewers and MC are useless.

I think that the restricted mission design is much worse than the controls tbh.
It's not just RDR2 this dates back to GTA4. Every game super linear with shit controls. GTA4 98 metacritic is a real dick slap in the face.

Yeah the linear mission design is probably a bigger sin. I have seen people moan that games like the original uncharted don't really exist anymore. Well the RDR2 campaign is like playing about 10 of them back to back.

Most people don't give a crap about the game being good or not, they just want to press buttons without worry and trigger cool cutscenes on the screen. Rockstar Games have been ultimate normie bait for a while now.
I think it's more the random rampages that bring in the mainstream.

Basically Rockstar got lucky they were first dev to build a 3d city where you could go nuts in. This brought in record cash so now they can just outspend everyone.

Until GTA3 Driver was the bigger franchise but the Driver devs thought rampaging in 3D would be to horrifying or some bullshit so they didn't include it.

Had they included rampaging I think Driver would now be setting youtube view records.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's not just RDR2 this dates back to GTA4. Every game super linear with shit controls. GTA4 98 metacritic is a real dick slap in the face.

Yeah the linear mission design is probably a bigger sin. I have seen people moan that games like the original uncharted don't really exist anymore. Well the RDR2 campaign is like playing about 10 of them back to back.
Maybe I remembering this wrong in PS2 GTA games when they give you target to kill, you have total freedom how you want to kill the target, either killing him with car chase or put bomb on his care before he escapes.

GTA games used be so fun for me but these days R* just too fucking obsessed with graphics and cinematic to even fucking care about actual game designs

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Maybe I remembering this wrong in PS2 GTA games when they give you target to kill, you have total freedom how you want o kill the target, killing him with car chase or put bomb on his care before he escapes.

GTA games used be so fun for me but these days just too fucking obsessed with graphics and cinematic to even fucking care about actual game designs
Yeah, they used to be like that during a time. GTA 2 in particular gave you full freedom on how to play the game, you could even pick factions and gain/lose respect.

Woggleman

Maybe a lot of people like the gameplay. Hard-core gamers who only like arcade controls are not the ultimate authority.

It used to be that in the past, but i think they attract people nowadays with production values alone. Even games like RDR2 where you can't rampage as easily still break records.
Yep.

When you break it down EVERYTHING impressive about Rockstar games comes back to the money they can spend.

They have never been able to produce innovative or even polished gameplay.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I skipped GTAV and RDR2 specifically due to the input lag and poor controls. I don't buy that it is intended for realism, and whatever the reason it still translates into clunky and unresponsive controls either way.

I'll probably buy this one though.

Maybe I remembering this wrong in PS2 GTA games when they give you target to kill, you have total freedom how you want o kill the target, killing him with car chase or put bomb on his care before he escapes.

GTA games used be so fun for me but these days just too fucking obsessed with graphics and cinematic to even fucking care about actual game designs
Yeah GTA3 to San Andreas were like that but after GTA4 it went all linear.

MGS5 is the game that really tried to double down on GTA3 original gameplay. A Shame it didn't really influence much

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Maybe a lot of people like the gameplay. Hard-core gamers who only like arcade controls are not the ultimate authority.
Modern GTA/RDR can be separated into 2 gameplay loops within the game:

A) Do main missions where you follow a script, literally.
B) Wander around the world looking for easter eggs or shooting stuff randomly when you get bored of A.

And these two aspects of the game have few to no influence on the other either. Unless you really like following what words on the screen say, or do random stuff without sense or purpose, there is no fun gameplay to be found here.

At 30 fps? Sluggish. This is why its such bullshit that Rockstar doesn't have the decency to update RDR2 for next gen consoles.

How can a company who has made so much profit off of one game, not respect its fans/customers enough to deny them the ability to play that game with responsive controls now that better hardware exists? It's not like this game came out long ago either and considering RDR2 with its many frames of animation and naturally sluggish controls.

It's frankly disgusting.

Woggleman

Modern GTA/RDR can be separated into 2 gameplay loops within the game:

A) Do main missions where you follow a script, literally.
B) Wander around the world looking for easter eggs or shooting stuff randomly when you get bored of A.

And these two aspects of the game have few to no influence on the other either. Unless you really like following what words on the screen say, or do random stuff without sense or purpose, there is no fun gameplay to be found here.
Then how come these games still have such long legs and seem to be enjoyed by millions?

Yep.

When you break it down EVERYTHING impressive about Rockstar games comes back to the money they can spend.

They have never been able to produce innovative or even polished gameplay.

Not totally true. Rockstar table tennis is responsive and has great controls.
Midnight Club responsive and Max Payne 3 gets the shooting right.

It's more a matter of character MOVEMENT that they suck at.

LordCBH

Expect it to be like GTA5. I’d be on it being identical to 5, actually, considering the crazy numbers it’s sold.

Diddy X

No complain from me, I think movement is fine in GTA 5, on the other hand, more responsive movement like in souls games seems fake as fuck there's no weight to it.

Last edited:

nowhat

If RDR2 is anything to go by...

...just a sec, let me position myself exactly in front of the "you're now posting a comment"-section, stepping in front of it a few times just to make sure...

...the controls will be great!

Barakov

Gold Member
I played a lot of Gta 5 but I always noticed the sluggish controls. I was hoping that it would be better with Red Dead Redemption 2. Well, the controls became even more sluggish in rdr2. Now I'm wondering what the controls will be like in Gta 6. A mix of Gta 5 and rdr2 or will it be even worse?

Gta 5 character controls

Car Fail GIF

Rdr 2 character controls

tank GIF
I'm fully expecting to press three buttons at the same time to pick up a garbage can.

simpatico

And there are people who like deep fried butter. That doesn't make it good food.
Horses for courses and all. I wouldn't want all games to control like RDR2, but I thought it suited the overall tone and pace of the game. I certainly wouldn't want to move around like Max Payne 2 in RDR. I thought the weight was well suited. Didn't strike me as something accidental that they couldn't overcome. It was deliberate.

It controls fine. I don't see the hate regarding RDR2/GTAIV/V's controls.

The mashing A to move thing is a pain in the ass, but otherwise the game controls how you'd expect. If the physics simulation takes an upturn the character control has to be more realistic too.
It feels like the character is wading through treacle at all times. It's painfully bad, especially when paired with 30fps.

PC it's bearable due to the higher frame rate.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's painfully bad, especially when paired with 30fps.
Now that's fair. That being said, I played a lot of RDR2 recently on my Steam Deck and even then at 40fps I don't think the controls are the worst thing on earth like many people.

I just fail to see a proper alternative that can preserve the realistic movement animations. Rockstar's solution isn't the best, but it helps a lot when it comes to immersion, and you can still get around doing it. Most of the time spent in these games are in a car/on horseback.

nowhat

I just fail to see a proper alternative that can preserve the realistic movement animations.
Motion matching. Say whatever you will of TLoU part 2, but the fact that you can crouch and pick things up behind you with one arm, while it is all smooth and natural is nothing short of magic. If GTA 6 doesn't do this (I'm not saying it won't), it will have failed.

Kumomeme

urgh the control in RDR2 is worst. really unresponsive and slog

hopefully they dont copy that thinking it kind of 'gold standard' or something. it is great example of how should not do realism vs gameplay balance is

Now that's fair. That being said, I played a lot of RDR2 recently on my Steam Deck and even then at 40fps I don't think the controls are the worst thing on earth like many people.

I just fail to see a proper alternative that can preserve the realistic movement animations. Rockstar's solution isn't the best, but it helps a lot when it comes to immersion, and you can still get around doing it. Most of the time spent in these games are in a car/on horseback.
40fps will definitely be an improvement because the delay between input and movement will be less. I didn't care for RDR2 on Xbox mostly because of the sluggish controls, but when I replayed it on PC at 60fps it was a vastly better experience, even on a controller.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
GTA IV came out 18 years ago. They're not going to magically return to making PS2 era arcade games, it'll be sluggish as always.

Top Bottom