• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Steve Jobs would have presented Wii U at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a really inventive post and you write from Steve Job's voice pretty well. For the first 4 or 5 paragraphs I could really see him saying those things.

Kudos.

Kuroyume

Banned
tumblr_m6a7y65cBl1qgn31fo1_500.gif

Either really young or insane... I'm not sure.

Actually sat down and read this. Steve Jobs aside, the structure of it was just plain good. The focus on the actual console and the way certain things were explained appealed to me.

Neiteio

In this thread: people intimidated by lengthy posts, what-if hypotheticals and a topic broached in any way other than a brain-dead question like "What if Nintendo presented their ideas differently?"

Seriously, people need to chill. I hate it when GAF pussies out in their insecurity over something different. The OP's post is no more a waste of time than any other "situational" questions given their own threads at GAF. And the way the OP presented it makes sense, given the point is how a keynote speaker delivers his message to establish a product in the minds of the masses. This, naturally, requires an example of a "different delivery."

So, to get back on topic: If Reggie had followed similar "beats" in his presentation -- repetition of key concepts, and breaking it down as an all-in-one controller, paired with DS-style play, paired with socialization -- would the WiiU have gone over better?

I say, no. At the end of the day, any and all middling response to the WiiU at E3 was due to the absence of games, and the shortchanging of good games they -did- have, like Project P-100. I would like to see Nintendo play up the "all-in-one" nature of the controller more, though, and always while in the same breath of it being part of a CONSOLE that is significantly more powerful than its predecessor.

apana

I don't have a problem with a few laughs at the expense of the OP since it is kind of funny, but you guys go overboard with all this "omg fanboys losing their brains, cats and dogs getting married" type of reactions.

Tookay

I don't have a problem with a few laughs at the expense of the OP since it is kind of funny, but you guys go overboard with all this "omg fanboys losing their brains, cats and dogs getting married" type of reactions.

This is one of the rare times there's actually something of a consensus on GAF. If every person comes into the thread with the same reaction, what's to stop them from posting it? Is there some arbitrary limit to different people having the same reaction to something ridiculous?

This reads like fan-fiction. I like Nintendo, but this goes beyond that. Sometimes members need to mentally filter out bad ideas before they hit the "post" button. Or, at the very least, present them differently.

Good morning. Good morning. In less than an hour, journalists from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest console unveiling in the history of mankind. Mankind, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences any more. We will be united in our common interest. Perhaps it's fate that today is the 5th of June, and you will once again be previewing our innovation. Not from stagnation, rising development cots, or broadening markets, but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live, to exist - and should we win the day, the 5th of June will no longer be known as a nerd holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice, 'We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our innovation day!

Tookay

Good morning. Good morning. In less than an hour, journalists from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest console unveiling in the history of mankind. Mankind, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences any more. We will be united in our common interest. Perhaps it's fate that today is the 5th of June, and you will once again be previewing our innovation. Not from stagnation, rising development cots, or broadening markets, but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live, to exist - and should we win the day, the 5th of June will no longer be known as a nerd holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice, 'We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!

60ce08497ff05fdebc4263ec7ca56186_width_640x.png

Welcome to E3.

I don't get the hate here. I thought it was funny, but it's true, Steve would have done a much better job of presenting this. Why or how is not important.

Neiteio

So much thread-shitting going on in here. Safety in numbers and not having to explain one's reasoning, I suppose. Again, I think there's a valid point the OP is making, but if people can't see the point is "What if Nintendo presented things differently," and if people can't see the "transcript" as just an example of delivery, I guess there's nothing to stop them.

I got a chuckle out of EmCeeGramr's parody, though. :)

Interfectum

Ernest Hemingway once wrote, 'The Wii U is a fine system and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part.

<helicopter sound>

Takao

Banned
A7H71.gif

Like, no duh a competent presentation would've changed the opinions of a lot of people on Wii U. That's pretty much a given. However, to go to the lengths this OP has went to is just unreal. I don't care if you claim to just be copy pasting a whole chunk of it, the effort to read and even make this is just... I can't.

Neiteio

The biggest image issue Nintendo will probably face (one of them, at least) is people think this is a controller add-on and not a new console. Didn't CNN make that botched assumption?

I thought the post was magical, and will literally change how we view the world around us. It's a real game changer...until next year when we release the same thing, but in white and all you stupid sonsabitches buy it again.

dream

How old are you, marc^o^? What do you do for a living, marc^o^? Do you have any hobbies other than Nintendo things, marc^o^?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
e3 fanfiction defence force

Nobody here is intimidated by the lengthy prose of some elaborate essay here. They're more shocked and stunned that the OP's self control didn't kick in after maybe one or two paragraphs (extending to two entirely filled posts is eye opening even more) using Steve Job's presentation skills as an example for discussion (nevermind the herd of elephants in the room of the iPhone being a revolutionary product, this Wii U conference being judged more on lack of content than arrogant scripted waffle, etc)

To craft an entire script for a PR briefing, for a company which you have no stock in, and do not work for, is pretty crazy. To then admit in the same thread to deliberately posting overtly positive Wii U threads to try and bring 'balance' to NeoGAF as if the billion earning Nintendo company as a whole was an indefensible child in middle school that requires intervention so as to not weather the true cruelty of the world's remarks is also not something that be point at as the norm and everyone else watching wide eyed in disbelief as the ones reacting oddly.

It is okay to prefer a corporations particular style of games or approach to hardware, this is great and only natural! But when you find yourself posting around 5000 words in the tongue of a dead man from a rival tech firm to persuade people it wasn't the content but merely the delivery with no hint of irony: this is not okay. This is self assessment "woooh, I got a bit too carried away there..." time.

TL/DR: If a significant other or friend isn't there to bounce off of, try and emulate their voice in your head:
- "What are you doing?" I'm arguing on the internet in multiple threads. I know its futile, but theres some discussion here thats interesting. "Nerd. Don't be too long."
- "What are you doing?" I'm constructing a meticulous script recreation that spans 4500 words of Steve Job's iDevice speeches but for the WiiU to show how the negative reaction to this E3 was simply the product of the presentation model, not the content. "We can't be friends anymore."

Neiteio

^ I'm not saying the OP couldn't have done it better, but the basic concept of his post is not without merit. I'm more disturbed people take the time to shit than contribute, given that there -is- a meaningful discussion to be had here on brand identity, but people would rather waste their time talking every way around it instead. It's an equally nerdy, cause-for-concern act to go the YouTube commenter route when you can save time for things you actually care about and find fulfilling.

As for this person apparently trying to "bring balance" with WiiU threads, yeah that's silly if true and I didn't see that and I'm not excusing it. But I stand by my point there -is- a point to the OP's subject, presentation be damned.

I survived the Dreamcast, don't worry for me. Posting positive things about Wii U is normal for a passionate Nintendo gamer. There are also negative threads on this board, and it forms a fair balance.

Er, you don't form a "balance" by posting creepily elaborate fanfiction (even if a lot of is just copy-pasta) about a dead person presenting a product from your favorite company. The fact you think this is "striking a balance" means you really don't understand why you're creeping people out right now.

Boss Man

I imagine the OP masturbating the entire time he was writing this, with brief pauses every couple of paragraphs.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I don't know where you get the impression I pushed it as something I did. There are lots of copy paste here, not only from steve jobs transcripts but also from gaming websites. The point is not to make an essay and have a good mark, but to show how much more effective a presentation can and should be when you launch a product.

You did say

Thank you! I had fun writing it :)

Which to me gave the impression this was all from you rather than a good part being copy/paste job with some changed names.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
^ I'm not saying the OP couldn't have done it better, but the basic concept of his post is not without merit. I'm more disturbed people take the time to shit than contribute, given that there -is- a meaningful discussion to be had here on brand identity, but people would rather waste their time talking every way around it instead. It's an equally nerdy, cause-for-concern act to go the YouTube commenter route when you can save time for things you actually care about and find fulfilling.

It doesn't have merit though. Theres too much confirmation bias to be found in using mega successfully received conferences like the iPhone's and then just transplanting that to a different product entirely. Those events wowed because the tech on show there was changing the entire world, entire industries. The tiny touchscreen, then later the app stores, all of that was creating entirely different business models that consumers and creators were buzzing about alike.

Just taking all that same language and applying it to a product summed up as "its like a DS, but for the home console" and a pretty boring collection of games and things we'd all seen before to accompany it is ignoring the problem with the WiiU 're-unveiling' was content, not delivery. They just didnt appear to have much shit to show.

Even worse of course is the omission of iDevice conferences inclusion of things like specifications (this is tech, whether you like it or not) alongside the well established BAM HERES THE FUCKING PRICE, HERES THE RELEASE DATE, CHEER! technique.

All these discussions were had in their respective conference threads and E3 wrap ups. To still be this salty about the reception and trying to change perceptions almost a month on is just kinda sad.

mu-chan

Neo Member
I think this was really well done. It hits on a lot of the aspects of the system that needed more emphasis/clarification and streamlines a lot of the logic (but not the volume, unfortunately.)

Neiteio

It doesn't have merit though. Theres too much confirmation bias to be found in using mega successfully received conferences like the iPhone's and then just transplanting that to a different product entirely. Those events wowed because the tech on show there was changing the entire world, entire industries. The tiny touchscreen, then later the app stores, all of that was creating entirely different business models that consumers and creators were buzzing about alike.

Just taking all that same language and applying it to a product summed up as "its like a DS, but for the home console" and a pretty boring collection of games and things we'd all seen before to accompany it is ignoring the problem with the WiiU 're-unveiling' was content, not delivery. They just didnt appear to have much shit to show.

Even worse of course is the omission of iDevice conferences inclusion of things like specifications (this is tech, whether you like it or not) alongside the well established BAM HERES THE FUCKING PRICE, HERES THE RELEASE DATE, CHEER! technique.

All these discussions were had in their respective conference threads and E3 wrap ups. To still be this salty about the reception and trying to change perceptions almost a month on is just kinda sad.
See, this is what I think the OP wanted: analysis. Now you're finally analyzing whether a change of presentation and delivery would've made a difference, which is what the OP was asking from the start, his "fan fiction" just an elaborate example of an alternate approach. And really, you kind of have to have an example as such, or else you can't imagine how it might've made a different impression on you.

But I agree with your analysis, btw. As I've said before, changing the way things were presented wouldn't have made much difference. The real problem with Nintendo's ho-hum presentation wasn't how they failed to communicate the WiiU's potential from a tech and potential standpoint, so much as it was their patchy selection of games, including the notable absence of any Nintendo IPs that really and truly showed off gaming that couldn't have been done before. ZombiU was probably the strongest exhibit of WiiU-enhanced gameplay, and it's a rough-around-the-edges production dogged by the shadow of Red Steel (which admittedly was another studio, but nonetheless).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom