• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Taylor Swift Played The Victim For A Decade And Made Her Entire Career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee-Row

Banned
She's just an awful singer , I had the misfortune of listening to her live once. Also her parents are assholes.

LotusHD

Banned
I, and many others, knew she was two-faced for the longest. The day where Kim K showed dem receipts was hilariously cathartic to see lol

And then the whole white feminist/squad thing... Ugh.

snake.png

Expose ha.

I like her music doe.

in all seriousness though:

(princess) Swift is a businesswoman who took advantage of the Kanye beef for her career, but the break-up song shit is something everyone does

Kanye is a passionate artist who does care about racism in the music/fashion industry, but I dont need a white guilt ridden woman to downplay the fact that he's a jackass

(goddess) Kim is a businesswoman who took advantage of the phone calls for her show, but im sure she wanted to defend her husband

in the end they all went on with their careers and no one really cares

Zaph

She's just a product and she does what she and her team think will be the most commercially successful move.

Probably the most egregious was co-opting and profiting from the rise of modern feminism, yet when the biggest threat to that since Roe v. Wade came knocking she remained silent. But then resumed regular service in the meekest way possible.

A product trying to sell to the largest audience possible. That's all.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
better article would be about the boringly vacuous full bore marketing behind these two talented but annoying people who frankly deserve each other.

Oh my God do not get me started on how she only ever preaches about the importance of feminism whenever she feels threatened. She's vile.

EBreda

Her obviously fake "innocent girl next door" was annoying enough, but when she added the layer of "I'm awkward and just like you!" with her latest album, she just went too far. Constantly victimized herself, making herself the center of every situation. I'm sure if a professional watched every interview she's done, they'd diagnose her with Narcissitic Personality Disorder.

Add to the fact that she popularized this idea that pop stars don't have to be able to dance or entertain or perform well in general, and that it's more desirable for pop stars to be relateable and lol! Regular just like us!, and she's just been awful for the pop music industry. Get her out of my sight.

Why not both ? There can be relatable "just like next door" music stars like Swift or Pink and unnatainable icons like Madonna or Cher or whatever.

And her performances are not horrible at all. Not my favorite music, sure, but she can sing, play the piano and the guitar pretty confidently, imo. I've seen her live (young daughter and all) and it was a pretty okay concert. Sure, it was earlier in her career when there was more country than Shake it Off, but it was pretty decent.

Don't get the hate, really.

LotusHD

Banned
Oh my God do not get me started on how she only ever preaches about the importance of feminism whenever she feels threatened. She's vile.

Yup...

At first I'm like meh, just another fake celebrity, not that big of a shocker, though it's funny when she gets outed. But over the years, this shit adds up, the stuff that she does and does not choose to not speak out on, people notice that as well. In the end, you just come to realize this woman really ain't shit.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Don't like Swift. Also don't typically like pop-music, so I don't really make a fuss about it.

Kanye is better. Just wanted to throw that out there

Dude Abides

Banned
Lol at turning Kanye acting like a douche in 2009 into some kind or racial justice thing. Maybe he can get his buddy Trump to help him deal with Taylor Swift.

Lothar

Banned
https://www.buzzfeed.com/elliewoodw...r-entire-caree?utm_term=.ywAAPWjmB#.ujbvb6dor

The piece goes on into more specific analysis of how Taylor has leveraged her failed relationships and subsequent portrayal as a victim into public sympathy (as well as songs) and how she more recently reinvented herself as a feminist icon and the problems therein. Worth reading IMO.

You actually quoted an article defended for Kanye for grabbing her microphone and interrupting her on stage. Something the president even called him a jackass for. Wouldn't that tell you alone that it wasn't worth reading?

Slow news day, I see...

She's just an awful singer , I had the misfortune of listening to her live once. Also her parents are assholes.
I obviously don't know how they are in their day to day life but I had the fortune of meeting her mom (as have plenty of other fans) and she's really nice and kind.

Same for Taylor, I don't care what she does behind doors, she's one of the nicest artists when it comes to making her fans happy, she always goes the extra mile for them. Maybe she's faking it, but who cares????

She stalked and invited almost 500 fans to her house for listening parties months before 1989 came out, made cookies for them, etc, does lots of charity, makes free meet and greets almost every single night after her concerts, I could go on and on forever.

see5harp

She's totally a snake for that shit but honestly even if it was some crazy agreed upon scheme, I don't understand why that line meant so much to Kanye. I think it's great to reference your own life experiences in your music but that's some shit that people would have been repulsed by even if Taylor had come out in support of it.

DOWN

Banned
Ok but her awful personality and manipulation will hopefully yield another Blank Space quality hit and another Style

Why not both ? There can be relatable "just like next door" music stars like Swift or Pink and unnatainable icons like Madonna or Cher or whatever.

And her performances are not horrible at all. Not my favorite music, sure, but she can sing, play the piano and the guitar pretty confidently, imo. I've seen her live (young daughter and all) and it was a pretty okay concert. Sure, it was earlier in her career when there was more country than Shake it Off, but it was pretty decent.

Don't get the hate, really.
Pink backs up her attitude by having genuine talent and amazing performances that no one else could ever do, though. Pink swings around 20 feet in the air and is able to stay on key. Taylor jerks her body around on stage in the name of relateability and sounds like a dying elephant.

Taylor has a fake attitude (fine, what pop star doesn't?) but has no special talent to back it up (in fact, she flaunts her lack of talent as a good thing. Thank her for the success of the likes of Meghan Trainor), uses politics when it's convenient to her image, and preaches for feminism and the unity of women only when shes called out for her behaviour and while writing songs that attack women.

It’s crucial to note that it took another Caucasian woman – albeit, one with a complex history of proximity to and appropriation of black culture – to expose Swift.

I'm pretty sure Kim Kardashian is not caucasian.

She is probably one of the most manufactured celebrities out there. I mean kind of obvious when you remember how she was portrayed as an every-town, country kind of girl from Tennessee at the start of her career, when in reality her dad is a well-off financial advisor who relocated from the Philadelphia area so she could pursue a career in music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom