• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Taylor Swift Played The Victim For A Decade And Made Her Entire Career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You do realize that that makes it make even less sense. Beyonce released the best video of the year, but not the best video by a female performer? I mean, I get why they would have done it (they wanted Taylor to win something and decided that would be it), but it makes no logical sense.

It does, but even then there are/were ways to play that off that don't involve you playing a victim to something/someone that absolutely didn't hurt you or your career in any way.

VMAs are subjective marketing driven awards for subjective marketing driven artists. I don't know why anyone takes them seriously enough to even bother with the logical problems.

Permanently A

I think the "Imma let you finish" incident is being interpreted very liberally by the author. Where did Kanye mention racism in that incident? If he wanted to get a message across, he did it extremely poorly.

Swift still a snek tho

VMAs are subjective marketing driven awards for subjective marketing driven artists. I don't know why anyone takes them seriously enough to even bother with the logical problems.

I'm completely aware of that, which is why I explicitly stated why they did it, and that I understand why they did it.

Kanye's bullshit behaviour is far more dangerous than anything T.Swift has done, though. Show me pictures of her with trump and let's see how she compares to the things kanye does for attention.

Also her songs are great, just listen to "all too well" and realize the kind of talent she has. Well if you're actually not a kanye stan or a "everything that's not rap is bullshit" kind of person.

LionPride

Banned
Kanye's bullshit behaviour is far more dangerous than anything T.Swift has done, though. Show me pictures of her with trump and let's see how she compares to the things kanye does for attention.

Also her songs are great, just listen to "all too well" and realize the kind of talent she has. Well if you're actually not a kanye stan or a "everything that's not rap is bullshit" kind of person.

Or you could realize she's talented(but a snake) and Kanye is very talented(but not mentally stable and not anchored to reality)

ghstwrld

In “Picture to Burn”, for example, Swift sings: “I didn’t get my perfect fantasy / I realise you love yourself more than you could ever love me / So go and tell your friends that I’m obsessive and crazy / That’s fine / I’ll tell mine that you’re gay.”

The chorus and second verse are just as intense: “So watch me strike a match / On all my wasted time / As far as I’m concerned / You’re just another picture to burn / There’s no time for tears / I’m just sitting here planning my revenge / There’s nothing stopping me from going out with all your best friends.”

trash

Ran rp

Pink backs up her attitude by having genuine talent and amazing performances that no one else could ever do, though. Pink swings around 20 feet in the air and is able to stay on key. Taylor jerks her body around on stage in the name of relateability and sounds like a dying elephant.

green-snake-animation-3.gif

MANUELF

Banned
You do realize that that makes it make even less sense. Beyonce released the best video of the year, but not the best video by a female performer? I mean, I get why they would have done it (they wanted Taylor to win something and decided that would be it), but it makes no logical sense.
The VMAs are fan voted and Taylor wasnt nominated to vídeo of the Year

In “Picture to Burn”, for example, Swift sings: “I didn’t get my perfect fantasy / I realise you love yourself more than you could ever love me / So go and tell your friends that I’m obsessive and crazy / That’s fine / I’ll tell mine that you’re gay.”

The chorus and second verse are just as intense: “So watch me strike a match / On all my wasted time / As far as I’m concerned / You’re just another picture to burn / There’s no time for tears / I’m just sitting here planning my revenge / There’s nothing stopping me from going out with all your best friends.”

trash

Homophobic....AND a slutshamer:

Better Than Revenge:
She's not a saint
And she's not what you think
She's an actress, whoa
She's better known
For the things that she does
On the mattress, whoa

Soon she's gonna find
Stealing other people's toys
On the playground won't
Make you many friends

Bu bu but remember when she recruited a bunch of women to join her for Bad Blood! Fuck yeah! Girl power!.........oh wait.......................the Bad Blood video/lyrics are an attack on Katy Perry.

lmao oh well though, right! Nobody's perfect! Just keep making Blank Spaces, queen!

This thread's full shit musicians without you adding more. Please refrain from recommending awful music to my GAF brothers and sisters.

Then please enlighten us, I'm sure all of your "GAF brothers and sisters" must be dying to hear some recommendations from someone that thinks Kanye West and Chvrches are "full shit musicians".

I'm convinced that Taylor was still pissed about him taking the mic from her, so she plotted revenge by publicly pretending to be over it, but then used the "sex with Taylor" lyrics as an excuse to try and trap Kanye to enact her revenge. Basically she told Kanye she was fine with the lyrics, not knowing he recorded it, hoping to later play the victim to turn public opinion away from Ye. It wasn't necessarily about getting anything out of it for her, just to throw Kanye under the bus.

But also, this is just a bunch of celebrity crap, so I'm just gonna keep enjoying Swift's and West's music regardless.

pennanton

Neo Member
Then please enlighten us, I'm sure all of your "GAF brothers and sisters" must be dying to hear some recommendations from someone that thinks Kanye West and Chvrches are "full shit musicians".

He's got a Warp Records avatar so I think his opinion might have some credibility.

Brinbe

Yeah, she's opportunistic as hell. That's a given. But in the end, she makes good-ass music. Just like Ye. Let these ppl live. NO ONE IS PERFECT.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
What is this snake (snek?) meme?

Goodstyle

TSwift hasn't said shit about Trump or any of the women he's hurting and that's troubling, but remember Kanye literally supports Trump straight up.

When Kim """exposed""" Taylor on her Snapchat, I think that's one of the emojis she used as a caption? Someone else might know better than I, but that caught on and people plastered her posts with the emoji and now she's associated with it.

Ventara

the moment she and West first met, at the MTV VMAs, where a young Swift clutched her award as West stormed the stage, took the microphone from her, and announced that Beyoncé should’ve won instead.

But West wasn’t suggesting that Swift was undeserving – he was speaking out against systemic racism in the music industry, which consistently favours white artists. After the incident, West said: “It’s not about Kanye West. It’s not about Taylor Swift. There’s a lot of people in America that feel like they don’t have a platform to stand up and express their closet racism.”

I remember first reading about this and totally thought he was an ass. Didn't even think he had a reasonable reason to do it. But if that was how it really was, my eyes have been opened. If anything, that was pretty courageous of him to do. I'm sorry, Kayne.

swift is the world's greatest beneficiary of 21st century poptimism. you can't say she (and/or her team) aren't smart though.

also, snek

I remember first reading about this and totally thought he was an ass. Didn't even think he had a reasonable reason to do it. But if that was how it really was, my eyes have been opened. If anything, that was pretty courageous of him to do. I'm sorry, Kayne.

He was probably just drunk or high at the time, this is how his publicist spun it.

TaterTots

Banned
kanye vs swift is still a thing? Kanye wasn't American enough to perform at the inauguration. I wonder if Swift was?

I'm kidding GAF

He was probably just drunk or high at the time, this is how his publicist spun it.
I mean, he was carrying around a massive bottle of Hennesey at the time, but I buy it considering Kanye at the time was pretty pre-occupied with the industry's refusal to recognize black artists and other racial issues in the industry.

Dead Man

trash
Jesus. What absolute shit lyrics.

Swift is a master manipulator, the fact that she's been able to go this long without people catching on or really giving a fuck until after her last album cycle is nuts, almost impressive really.

She's trash for all that conniving and posturing she does to make the most out of coopting feminism and the like while being silent during the election or the Grammys being fucked.

I mean she wasn't known as the manipulator she is now so it's ok, I'm a Kanye fan and even if I agreed with the sentiment at the time it seemed like he was treading all over someone else's moment to get his point across.

It's only in the intervening years we've seen she's always looked for shit like this to build her narrative and Kanye unfortunately has continued to feed that narrative in his efforts to expose it.

Looks like she seems to accept the cat is mostly out of the bag and I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor figures she has nothing to lose going the full "bad girl" route her next album since a lot of her fanbase has grown up with her. I fully expect her to do everything short of embracing her Regina George status whenever she really gears up for her next project.

2 different memes. The Snake meme is referencing the Snake from the garden of Eden, its popular in sports etc when a player joins a rival team, so you're a "Snake" for betraying someone. Snek is just a silly meme like Doge etc.

Kanye's my favorite artist and all, but there's no way I'm considering him right in any situation regarding Taylor Swift, seems like people are getting at her from a skewed perspective just like people do when they ignorantly attack Kanye.
He's constantly mistreated her.

Kanye's my favorite artist and all, but there's no way I'm considering him right in any situation regarding Taylor Swift, seems like people are getting at her from a skewed perspective just like people do when they ignorantly attack Kanye.

swift-west-flowers-tnd.png

And?
I'm aware of every piece in the Taylor/Kanye drama, as far as i'm concerned he get's away with his behavior because we've infantilized Kanye while Taylor can easily be skewed into being some sort of snake.
Plus, the line that ended up on Famous was not at all what was discussed in that recording, she had every right to be angry with him, and then he goes and makes a nude bust of her?
Kanye is obsessed.

LotusHD

Banned

It's not about defending Kanye. I could care less if people hate him, as they have plenty of reasons to at this point.

Instead it's more like, yea, Kanye was an ass to her, but Taylor willingly took advantage of the subtext in the narrative (i.e. scary black dude vs. innocent white girl, also benefited from Kanye being known for his erratic behavior) with the whole Famous lyrics ordeal, knowing people would believe her over him. Then Kim rats her two-faced self for the world to see, proving how much of a snake she is, in case anyone still had doubts about that. And before anyone says anything, no it doesn't really matter whether or not you thought Kanye should've referenced her in the lyrics; the point is she lied, and subsequently got caught because Kim was smart enough to get dem receipts.

As for the rest of the article, they're just listing how despite Kanye has been a dick to her, she has utilized him and many others as part of a scheme to play the perpetual victim to make herself more popular. And then of course, the whole feminism/squad thing, which has its own issues...

Kibbles

trash
A song she wrote when she was 14 yearsrs old, wow. Hell she's already gone on record and spoken against herself for writing Better Than Revenge and refuses to play it, she grows up and learns lessons just like everyone else.

Kaizer

Banned
Good ole Taylor, biggest snake in the game. Legit love several of her songs, but you can't deny that the girl is a master manipulator & knows when to pounce on a PR opportunity. Her & her management team are on point.

Ah, so it's more than likely that Hiddleston got wise, realized that his insurmountable class and charm was just too good for her conniving ass, and dumped her.

He's a very mature dude. She is a very immature girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom