• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How the hell do I get around an internet block at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm currently working this crap temp job. Awful, boring, tedious work. Now, whenever I've had to dip into the vile world of temping before, I've always had internet access to prevent me from clawing out my eyes.

However, this time around, the IT is a terrible, terrible expletive. I hate her ugly guts. She's blocked me from every website save those I need to access company data.

HOW DO I GET AROUND HER VILE FASCISM?

I've snooped the net a bit, but nothing I've seen seems particularly effective for my situation (most of them seem to be ways around censoring programs). I figured you guys might have a few ideas...

Any suggestions?

*Noel Coward Parody

Phoenix

If they've gone through the hassle of actually restricting access to certain sites (which is probably being done at the firewall), chances are that they monitor access as well and the day you find an open proxy (VNC out of their network), you'll probably be fired :)

If they've gone through the hassle of actually restricting access to certain sites (which is probably being done at the firewall), chances are that they monitor access as well and the day you find an open proxy (VNC out of their network), you'll probably be fired
Here's the thing: I don't think she's very smart.

When she was clearing out the account for the person who had my job prior, she was looking through the history folder to find out which sites she'd been surfing. This says to me that the IT really doesn't monitor it all that close. I think her knowledge is limited to a very narrow window of the networking world.

This is a very stodgy, old office. I'm by far the youngest one there. The breadth of technological knowledge is extremely limited. I doubt she'd even think any of the employees could find a way around the firewall.

Having said that, how would I go about it?

*Noel Coward Parody

Ecrofirt

ok, you can try something like this:

set your PC at home up so that it's running a CGI script that lets you use it like a proxy server.

My friend did that in highschool, and we'd surf the net through his PC, and face no problems.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I guess finding out how she is actually blocking you would be the first step.

The second step is probably accepting it and getting some work done....

The second step is probably accepting it and getting some work done....
The root of the problem is that I get the work done in half the time it took the woman I replaced. If I were busy, this wouldn't be an issue.
ok, you can try something like this:

set your PC at home up so that it's running a CGI script that lets you use it like a proxy server.

My friend did that in highschool, and we'd surf the net through his PC, and face no problems.
I looked into that, but the catch is that my internet provider has some bizarre-o firewall that prevents me from directly connecting to another computer.

How can I found out how she's blocking me?

*Noel Coward Parody

demi

How can I found out how she's blocking me?

sfobj11a.jpg

*thump*

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Please let us know when you get fired, as a Net Admin, employees like you drive me crazy.

Phoenix

N Coward Parody said:
The root of the problem is that I get the work done in half the time it took the woman I replaced. If I were busy, this wouldn't be an issue.

"Hey, you guys have anything else you'd like me to? I'm getting through this stuff pretty quickly so maybe I can help out with something else."

"Hey, you guys have anything else you'd like me to? I'm getting through this stuff pretty quickly so maybe I can help out with something else."
Wow, you guys love to play the mouth pieces of God. Yeesh.

When the entire office is too busy with end-of-the-period stuff to assign me work after I've asked each of them several times, yeah, I'm going to look for other ways to pass the time... Since when did this festering stink hole of lethargy become the last bastion of workplace ethics? Blow me.

Please let us know when you get fired, as a Net Admin, employees like you drive me crazy.
Employees like me? Huh? Employees who complete everything assigned to them for the entire day before lunch? Or employees who don't feel like quailing under someone's deranged power trip? I respect a Net Admin who does her job well. I'm sure you do. But I don't have to treat someone with respect who doesn't treat me with any. Can we stop the pedantic moralizing? Amazing.

*Noel Coward Parody

Atari2600

Too dumb for the internet
Obviously you don't want to be preached at, so feel free to skip over this :)

Umm, you could do more work an get promoted? Getting your work done before lunch is cool, but seriously, if you've got skills, there has to be somebody that could be impressed by what you're doing. Maybe not her, she might be a moron, but if you go over her head, asking for work - hell, that couldn't hurt you.

It sounds like you're dead set on doing this, despite everyone telling you it's a bad idea. If she was snooping through his folders, then obviously she cares what's going on, and it might not be worth your job.

That's the bottom line - is it worth your job to read the sports guy while you're at work? If it is, good luck to ya, I'm just here to talk sense.

Phoenix

N Coward Parody said:
Wow, you guys love to play the mouth pieces of God. Yeesh.

When the entire office is too busy with end-of-the-period stuff to assign me work after I've asked each of them several times, yeah, I'm going to look for other ways to pass the time... Since when did this festering stink hole of lethargy become the last bastion of workplace ethics? Blow me.

Hey don't get mad at those of us who have ethics :) I mean they ARE paying you do do a job and have made it clear that accessing the internet on their equipment/time is not acceptable for you, but hey - find a way through the block.

btrboyev

if you have internet at home windows xp pro, I guess you could try to connect remotely to your pc..assuming they don't have a block on that as well.

Burger

You will not be able to do much from your computer. You need to attack where her risk is the greatest and her security is the lowest.

Security Professionals (of which I am not a member) often state that the biggest risk to security is local access.

What you need to do is to disable monitoring of your workstation from her access point, and open up complete access, hell you could even DMZ the ip address of your workstation, but I don't recommend that.

You are not going to be able to do that by typing shit into your keyboard. You are going to have to get her (and others) away from her PC to do it. Also, plan your attack, find out what hardware and software she uses and practice what you need to do.

The best bet is to tell a couple of people you are going out to lunch, then hide in the toilet or cleaning closet or whatever. Then trip the fire alarm. Hopefully her workstation hasn't been locked. Bingo.

Or you could get a better job.

Lil' Dice

Banned
If I had my net surfing privileges blocked at work I would just use the free time to draw, or something equally constructive. Read some books, magazines, and the dictionary; shit, do something worthwhile....

As someone already mentioned, you can VPN to your machine at home and surf the web on it if you have Windows XP. Or secure shell to a Linux box and text browse.

Barnimal

Banned
the answer is simpler than you think. they usually only block the main addresses. say for instance at my job www.gaming-age.com and www.ebay.com are blocked BUT if i click on a direct link to say an ebay auction i sent myself via email or a thread here at GA, i'm in and free to move around the sites as i please. just find a back door.

My I swear I'm not trying to be a smart ass response is, why not use your extra time to do your own work? I know that you're a playwright, so maybe you could forgo the internet and pour the time into something more productive?

I worked a lame PR job for a while and I would typically get a day's work done in an hour or two (I'm still amazed at how much futzing around happens at office jobs). The IT all but blocked me from the web after a while. At first I started taking hour long coffee breaks and 2 and half hour lunches, but then my boss told me I had to actually be in the office to get paid. I then got to working over a couple manuscripts and actually got some work done on them on the company's dime.

Just think of them as paying you to do re-writes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom