• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to play MAJORA'S MASK

Balb

So what happens if you exceed the 3 hours, I know the moon probably crashes but do you restart from day 1 afterwards.

Sorry if it is obvious but this will be my second zebra after Wind Waker.

It's game over and you restart from your last hard save (at least in the N64 version; not sure precisely how they're handling saves in the 3DS version).

Cess007

I believe so, but he used pretty indirect, cryptic language if I remember right. I ended up giving up on that playthrough, and when I tried the game for the third time a few years later it was more obvious to me, haha.

Not sure about the observatory scarecrow, but the scarecrow in the Trading Post in West Clock Town tells you about it. But it's pretty fundamental to the game, so I think they should make it something you could't possibly miss. They should teach you about the Inverted Song of Time in a cutscene or something.

He does! But... cryptically. He says something along the lines of a special song existing that can change the flow of time to go slower. It's pretty obvious as an adult, especially one familiar with the Zelda formula, but newcomers to the series might be confused.

yeah, but it's not forced. he talks to you - but then says "hey i know of a certain song that allows you to change time, do you wanna hear?!?!" and most people obviously were like lol no and ended the conversation there and then

voqbpq.gif

Yeah, i was watching again and yeah, he tells you about a song he knew can let you manipulate the flow of time. Then ask you if you want to hear it and surely, most people select "No".

Was the inverted song of time thing explicitly told to you? I don't remember about it, which would mean I completed the whole game without slowing down time, back then.

Edit: sorry, didn't scroll down and therefore missed you guys were talking about precisely that right ow. :D

So what happens if you exceed the 3 hours, I know the moon probably crashes but do you restart from day 1 afterwards.

Sorry if it is obvious but this will be my second zelda after Wind Waker.

It's essentially the same as if the game crashed, you lose all key items you acquired and progress made from the last perma save at least in the N64 version. Don't let it happen, just play the Song of Time or make a perma save using the feather statue instead. It's an awesome cutscene though, so you should try to watch it once when you don't care about progress, or just save right before you watch the cutscene and then revert the save.

Rich!

voqbpq.gif

Yeah, i was watching again and yeah, he tells you about a song he knew can let you manipulate the flow of time. Then ask you if you want to hear it and surely, most people select "No".

yep

people would have been mashing A

automatically hit no

moan about running out of time

complain about game

Neiteio

If the moon crashes, you just return to Day 1 of your most recent three-day cycle. You'll still have all the items, masks, songs and warp points you had at the start of that cycle.

Seda

Well, in the original game, if you spent a cycle and let the timer expire before looping time back, then you'd have to load up your most recent save, which is at the beginning of the cycle you effectively 'wasted'.

With the saving changes in the 3D version, I suppose you can save, like, ten minutes before the moon falls, and just load that up.

NewGame

Banned
I can't believe MM needs help like this, I played the whole game through and figured out everything when I was 12 geeze.

I'm currently playing Majora's Mask for the first time in well over a decade and I'm just blown away by how organic the time system is. It helps too that I've completely forgotten the majority of the game so it's fun figuring out NPC schedules and enjoying the erratic atmosphere.

Two dungeons in and I only have six of the masks (Breman, Great Fairy, dancer guy, pig, Bomb, and Don Gero). I only remember how to get six! I can't wait to start digging around for some more this weekend.

Weiss

Banned

Every time you play the song of time you restart at Day 1 with all events reset, but with most of your gear. You don't actually restart the whole game or anything. In the N64 version you could do temporary saves at Owl Statues which are also used for fast travel, but in the 3DS version you can do permanent saves at the new Feather Statues.

If you let the moon fall (which as an event is so easy to avoid you practically have to cause it yourself), you get sent back to the last time you reset time. Presumably, you'll be sent back to your last save in the 3DS version rather than the last time reset.

I can't believe MM needs help like this, I played the whole game through and figured out everything when I was 12 geeze.

I was 10 and I managed fine as well.

Only time I ever used a guide was for the fairies inside Snowhead temple. Had to take a bus to the library to use the internet and print that portion with my allowance. That was a mission.

Neiteio

Is there anyone here who knew about the Inverted Song of Time but went through the entire game without using it? I think that might be fun to try now that I'm a seasoned vet.

Kriken

voqbpq.gif

Why it defaults to NO is baffling, it's not essential, but it's very useful

This thread is making me rethink my preorder. I played it back when it was released but don't remember much and I don't think I beat it.

Now I don't really like being rushed in games. It's the main reason I haven't touched my copy of Pikmin on Wii U. Might be a good idea to save my cash for something else.

Rich!

I was 11. And I managed absolutely fine - by the end of the day I got it (christmas day), I had already beaten woodfall dungeon.

absolutely boggles my mind that so many people have issues with it.

This thread is making me rethink my preorder. I played it back when it was released but don't remember much and I don't think I beat it.

Now I don't really like being rushed in games. It's the main reason I haven't touched my copy of Pikmin on Wii U. Might be a good idea to save my cash for something else.

and this, I will never ever understand.

you are never rushed in majora's mask apart from the first cycle. once you get the ocarina, you are in control.

gahh, no wonder Nintendo are having to alter the entire bloody thing to appease people. sigh.

Jamix012

Is there anyone here who knew about the Inverted Song of Time but went through the entire game without using it? I think that might be fun to try now that I'm a seasoned vet.

I've played the game without it since, but obviously my first playthrough was with it. it's definitely very do able, just know when to reset time. The hardest part of the game to do in a time limit is the Zora eggs and even that isn't hard at all if you stock up on bottles beforehand.

Cess007

**raises hand**

Back then, i wasn't very good with English (it ain't my first language) so, i didn't understand what the scarecrow (or most of the NPCs lol) were saying :D

Ninjimbo

I'm currently playing Majora's Mask for the first time in well over a decade and I'm just blown away by how organic the time system is. It helps too that I've completely forgotten the majority of the game so it's fun figuring out NPC schedules and enjoying the erratic atmosphere.

Two dungeons in and I only have six of the masks (Breman, Great Fairy, dancer guy, pig, Bomb, and Don Gero). I only remember how to get six! I can't wait to start digging around for some more this weekend.
I'm going into it like that as well. I've forgotten most of the game's smaller details so I'm interested in seeing how fresh the game is going to feel.

Neiteio

The whole point of this thread is to show you why you -shouldn't- feel rushed.

There's no reason to feel rushed in this game.

You can play the same three days an infinite number of times.

Every bit of progress you make during each cycle carries forward. :)

th4tguy

If say I help the farm girl and complete that quest, when I reset time, will she always be saved or will she go back to being lobotomized?

Seda

This thread is trying to explain why you shouldn't need to feel rushed. The inverted Song of Time allows you a good cushion to wander and explore. Owl statues act as 'exploration checkpoints', so once you trek to a new area you can always get back there without hassle. Keeping major equipment items and masks prevent having to redo a number of things. Heck, even clearing a dungeon a second time (if you needed to for a heart piece or whatever) is trivial because you can warp straight to the boss.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I've never really finished a Zelda game. Played about 8 hours of the Ocarina remake. Was going to get this, so I feel I need all the help I can get to get through the game.

Neiteio

If say I help the farm girl and complete that quest, when I reset time, will she always be saved or will she go back to being lobotomized?
Once you reset time, all events reset. So the girl and her farm will once again be at risk of invasion.

Of course, this also means you can replay that event, if you want. It's one of my favorites, so I always replay it for fun.

And of course, if you ignore it and she gets lobotomized, and you feel bad about it, you can always reset time, and she'll be all better!

...for a while. ;-)

Rest assured, though, the game ends with everything working out for just about everyone.

Ultimately, all your good deeds will have a lasting effect, from a narrative standpoint.

While people are talking that you shouldn't feel rushed in MM's, I'd say you shouldn't feel rushed in Pikmin 3 either. I think the time limit for the game is 70 days, much more lenient than the 30 in the first one, so even making the smallest amount of progress possible should be enough for one day.

KarmaCow

I've never really finished a Zelda game. Played about 8 hours of the Ocarina remake. Was going to get this, so I feel I need all the help I can get to get through the game.

I really recommend not seeking out too much advice. The best part of the game is figuring out all the possibilities that can happen in the three day cycle. It's like using a guide for a puzzle game, you might as well not play it at that point.

Also, there's nothing worse than collecting all the fairies in a dungeon and then going back in time before turning them in lol.

Don't do that.

Neiteio

Also, there's nothing worse than collecting all the fairies in a dungeon and then going back in time before turning them in lol.

Don't do that.
Yeah, to clarify, an optional attraction in each dungeon are the 15 Stray Fairies hidden throughout. One of the masks, the Great Fairy's Mask, will sparkle when they're near, and draw them to you (unless they're trapped and need to be freed). Collecting all 15 Stray Fairies in a dungeon will allow you to restore the Great Fairy for that region. And then you'll get doubled magic, or health, or the Great Fairy Sword. And so on. So remember to swing by the region's Great Fairy Fountain once you have all 15 Stray Fairies. Then you'll be good to time-travel. :)

Ninjimbo

This thread is trying to explain why you shouldn't need to feel rushed. The inverted Song of Time allows you a good cushion to wander and explore. Owl statues act as 'exploration checkpoints', so once you trek to a new area you can always get back there without hassle. Keeping major equipment items and masks prevent having to redo a number of things. Heck, even clearing a dungeon a second time (if you needed to for a heart piece or whatever) is trivial because you can warp straight to the boss.
I get it, but even knowing those things I personally couldn't shake the feeling of being rushed. The clock is in your face all the time and you have a schedule you have to maintain. It's kinda hard to ignore these things especially when the result is that you might have to repeat it all over again if you fail.

I don't mind feeling rushed. It's how I play videogames actually. Still, I know what a ticking clock and a deadline does to people. It's always in your head.

Anth0ny

Maybe not directly (it's not like Nintendo got any direct feedback that people were doing that back in those days) but yeah there was some negative feedback from some fans at the time because coming straight from OoT many simply didn't get it. It was a whole different beast when the majority of average fans were expecting/anticipating more of the same. Eventually it likely led to lower sales and as such led Nintendo to the conclusion that it was too bigger step from the norm.

I think it's fair to say it was the last time Nintendo took a real risk with Zelda formula.

Absolutely. It feels like Majora's Mask is the game everyone wants right now, but nobody wanted in 2000.

And I can understand that. Ocarina of Time was a mindblowing experience back in 1998. It was considered the undisputed greatest game of all time. And they followed it up with... Majora's Mask. A radical departure from the traditional Zelda formula. "No! Give us more of Ocarina of Time!"

And so they did with Twilight Princess. Of course, at that point, people started with the complaints. "This is just Ocarina of Time again!" By the time Skyward Sword was released, you were hard pressed to avoid comments like "The Zelda formula is stale! They need to mix it up! It's just Ocarina of Time again and again and again!"

Well, the fucking market rejected Majora's Mask, so what the fuck. Here's hoping the remake sells well (better than the original on N64?), and maybe Nintendo will be more willing to take some crazy, MM-esque risks with the next Zelda.

blackwash

Banned
Thanks for making this thread. I remember when the game came out for the N64 way back when, my friend told me you had a time limit before the game ends. I thought that was the dumbest thing I had ever heard and never wanted to play it because I liked taking my time in Ocarina. Here we are all these years later and I was debating picking it up for the 3DS, but was still stuck on that bad info I got. I feel stupid for never taking the time to find out how that worked in the game. Now I'll be buying this game for sure!

NZerker12

yes. you lose all progress and items (apart from weapons/armour/masks/songs) gained in that cycle and restart from day one.

It's game over and you restart from your last hard save (at least in the N64 version; not sure precisely how they're handling saves in the 3DS version).

It's essentially the same as if the game crashed, you lose all key items you acquired and progress made from the last perma save at least in the N64 version. Don't let it happen, just play the Song of Time or make a perma save using the feather statue instead. It's an awesome cutscene though, so you should try to watch it once when you don't care about progress, or just save right before you watch the cutscene and then revert the save.

If the moon crashes, you just return to Day 1 of your most recent three-day cycle. You'll still have all the items, masks, songs and warp points you had at the start of that cycle.

Well, in the original game, if you spent a cycle and let the timer expire before looping time back, then you'd have to load up your most recent save, which is at the beginning of the cycle you effectively 'wasted'.

With the saving changes in the 3D version, I suppose you can save, like, ten minutes before the moon falls, and just load that up.

Every time you play the song of time you restart at Day 1 with all events reset, but with most of your gear. You don't actually restart the whole game or anything. In the N64 version you could do temporary saves at Owl Statues which are also used for fast travel, but in the 3DS version you can do permanent saves at the new Feather Statues.

If you let the moon fall (which as an event is so easy to avoid you practically have to cause it yourself), you get sent back to the last time you reset time. Presumably, you'll be sent back to your last save in the 3DS version rather than the last time reset.

Thanks for all the detailed responses, it's good to know that the only way to fail is to let the moon fall and that it is very easy to avoid it happening.

Neiteio

Thanks for all the detailed responses, it's good to know that the only way to fail is to let the moon fall and that it is very easy to avoid it happening.
Even if the moon falls, it's really no big deal. You still have all of your progress from all of the previous three-day cycles. It would only set you back a tad.

Ninjimbo

Absolutely. It feels like Majora's Mask is the game everyone wants right now, but nobody wanted in 2000.

And I can understand that. Ocarina of Time was a mindblowing experience back in 1998. It was considered the undisputed greatest game of all time. And they followed it up with... Majora's Mask. A radical departure from the traditional Zelda formula. "No! Give us more of Ocarina of Time!"

And so they did with Twilight Princess. Of course, at that point, people started with the complaints. "This is just Ocarina of Time again!" By the time Skyward Sword was released, you were hard pressed to avoid comments like "The Zelda formula is stale! They need to mix it up! It's just Ocarina of Time again and again and again!"

Well, the fucking market rejected Majora's Mask, so what the fuck. Here's hoping the remake sells well (better than the original on N64?), and maybe Nintendo will be more willing to take some crazy, MM-esque risks with the next Zelda.
You left out Wind Waker which was a bigger offender than Majora's Mask ever was in the eyes of the mainstream.

I'm excited to finally get into this game after a few false-starts but this description kinda shows what I feel like is wrong with the game. In other Zeldas, you just go to the dungeon...in this one, there's a several-point list of things to do to get there...then you have to leave...then warp back...a few songs get played here and there. Rinse. Repeat.

I'm really glad this thread is encouraging people to try the game. It's probably my favorite game of all time. However, I would recommend not staying in this thread after you've been convinced. I really don't want anyone to be spoiled, and I already consider Romani's story a bit spoiler-ish. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious, but I really want newcomers to experience the stories on their own.

I'm excited to finally get into this game after a few false-starts but this description kinda shows what I feel like is wrong with the game. In other Zeldas, you just go to the dungeon...in this one, there's a several-point list of things to do to get there...then you have to leave...then warp back...a few songs get played here and there. Rinse. Repeat.
It doesn't seem as much of a chore as much as you might think. The most fulfilling part to me about Majora's Mask is that you learn somethin new with every cycle until you know everything that will happen before it happens.

I think Nintendo isn't explaining how it works for a reason.

When I "empirically" found out how the three-day system works (you know, by actually playing the game), I had one of the greatest mind-blowing moments in my life (at least, videogame related)

Spoiling that ruins what makes the game special, IMO.

Seda

It's not really a complex idea though. You want as much time as possible to complete a dungeon so you reset time back before you start one. Simple.

Top Bottom