• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How will Nintendo eventually be screwed this generation?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Since I was part of the problem of this deviation of a conversation, I'll start it back towards the right path, if that's possible:

1. Isn't it a bit early to be calling Nintendo "in the lead?"
2. Isn't it a bit vague to imply that Nintendo was screwed in the past, which would allow for them to be "screwed again?"

Can you clarify where you think Nintendo was screwed in the past? Are you talking about losing market share to Sony? Are you suggesting that they now have the most market share and what can they do to lose that? Perhaps we should wait until, oh let's just throw a silly number out there, like...10 million units are sold or something?

Hey. I actually believe Nintendo WILL win this gen as far as hardware sales go. I really think they are on the right track for their company and will find a way to translate the DS success into Wii success.

But GOD DAMN it's a little premature to be asking what it would take for Nintendo to be "screwed again," when in reality, they were never screwed and moreover, this gen hasn't even freaking started.

Horrible thread with good intentions. I think what you meant to say was "It appears that Nintendo might actually have a chance to win this gen in console hardware sales, but what do you think could prevent that?"

But that's not at all what you said. This thread is filled with assumptions on both sides of the ball and is freaking ridiculous.

PantherLotus said:
I think what you meant to say was "It appears that Nintendo might actually have a chance to win this gen in console hardware sales, but what do you think could prevent that?"

But that's not at all what you said.

me said:
Yet, even with all the success Nintendo has seen over the past 1-2 years -- lifting them out of the N64/Gamecube slump -- I can't help but think it could all vanish if Sony were to do just a few things right.

That said, what sort of events would have to take place (in your opinion), for Nintendo's "lead" to disappear?

That's... pretty much what I said. Okay, so maybe "lead" was easily misinterpreted (even though the word is clearly surrounded by quotation marks) -- the Wii has the most momentum of any next-gen system at the moment (yes, even more than 360). It is selling faster, with more demand, than anything else on the market, aside from DS Lite. That's why I said "lead".

Fair enough?

On a side note, I don't see why it's too early to bring this topic up -- Nintendo has obviously been in a slump, both image-wise and sales-wise (in the home console arena), since 1996. I wouldn't say they were totally screwed, but that seems to be the general consensus among hard-core gamers. That's why I described their previous position as such.

Enough justification -- let's just please move this thread forward.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
It's too early to bring it up because they haven't done anything yet. It has been literally 4 weeks. They have a lot of great press, a lot of great sales so far, and it seems like everything is going for them. No ****ing doubt about it.

But lets not pretend like they've already won, and that this is somehow theirs to lose when in reality they haven't won a damn thing except proving that the DS is a freakin amazing selling piece of hardware.

I would say this thread would be ok to revisit NEXT January (08), unless you want to talk about how they get "screwed" out of their media-darling status. And that, I definitely don't know. The media could forget about it before October as they prepare their next Holiday list, or something could catch fire (like the Health Pack) and it be all the rage again. At that point we might have something worth discussing.

farnham

Banned
Nintendo can only do what they did with the DS... same with MS (they are doing what they did with... well Windows for example)

The question is can sony do what they did with PS2 or Psone..? many factors indicate to a no

Xavien

Nameless said:
Dude, those 35 Million units are NOT for 2006 alone. Those numbers were from Launch to December of this years.. TWO YEARS.

I dunno about you but i read that as the DS Lite has sold that amount since launch, not the DS and DS lite combined. Add together the numbers for the DS phat and the DS Lite and you'll find that the numbers are quite a bit more then that.

PantherLotus said:
But lets not pretend like they've already won...

me said:
I can't help but think it could all vanish if Sony were to do just a few things right. I mean, it all feels so close...

Explain to me how I managed to convey that Nintendo had won anything? It's pretty clear (if you read my OP) that things are very close, and could take a turn at any moment.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
HAL_Laboratory said:
Explain to me how I managed to convey that Nintendo had won anything? It's pretty clear (if you read my OP) that things are very close, and could take a turn at any moment.

What do YOU think it would take for Nintendo to be screwed again?

This new Nintendo that has emerged after the appearance of the DS, it seems like a company really focused on its message and strategy... but is it?

Is the Wii in a similar situation to the DS (actually the Wii has had a MUCH better start though in a more competitive field), where the system faced an initial drought until nintendo published samples of software that caught on with the public? Will Wii have by the end of the year it's own brain training, a motion - driven game that will attract the masses and make it clear that the console is something really unique that anyone can enjoy (Wii sports is a good start but its not the end all - be all and lets just not talk about Wii Play at all...). Or the company just hopes to get by with Mario Galaxy, Brain Academy and Metroid and a couple of big name third party titles? If so, i dont think Nintendo can really keep the momentum of it's console for 2007.

The important thing to the people that compare sales of the past and Nintendo profitability is how different Nintendo DS is to GBA or GBC.

-DS is gathering mainstream media attention while gba was "the gameboy platform", a kids toy
-DS is attracting a large demographic outside children and traditional gamers
-DS has already, in its two years in the market a dozen more classic titles and a brilliant line up in comparison to gba and gbc
-DS seems ready to break records in software sales, rivaling ps2 for multimillion sellers in some markets
-DS is a system absolutely differentiated from it's past platforms (it's really funny but i don't even think gba compatibility plays a significant role anymore to it's success) while gba and gbc were direct offsprings of their father (the original gameboy)
-Finally, DS is a huge success facing a fierce competitor, PSP, which is doing largely ok (it's not the disaster gaf is making it out to be), while GBA was a monopoly and so largely got off with larger sales).

What you can get from all of this is that people falsely compare Wii to GC or N64, while Wii is the spiritual brother of the Nintendo DS, rather than the offspring of past Nintendo home consoles (not saying that in Wii and DS will share the same success)..

PantherLotus said:
What do YOU think it would take for Nintendo to be screwed again?

Unfortunately I think it would be extremely easy for Nintendo to fumble the ball at this point. Wii is a success out of the gate, sure, but what happens now? Where are the killer apps? Where are the online titles? Where's the 3rd-party support? I think their position could go either way.

Yet, this is also the same thing I thought when DS Phat was released (which is what brought on the thread derailment, I guess). But then, out of the blue, good games, online, 3rd-party support, a redesign... things just sort of clicked. Maybe it'll be the same way for Wii (slow at first) until X-mas, who knows? But I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing it at this point, even if it is premature.

I mean, what the hell else are we gonna' talk about:p?

Can someone please lock this thread? It was
40fvhh1.gif
-tastic for a while, but since the maintenance it's just gotten stupid.

Edit: Maybe Drinky
40fvhh1.gif
will come and save the thread.

bmf said:
Can someone please lock this thread? It was
40fvhh1.gif
-tastic for a while, but since the maintenance it's just gotten stupid.

Edit: Maybe Drinky
40fvhh1.gif
will come and save the thread.

Why don't you just stay out of the thread if you don't like it?

I like the thread. It was a great thread. Then it got stupid. I don't think it can be saved at this point, especially with it's OP and a normally cool sales-age type guy going at each other's throats. It should stop before it ends up being 5 more pages of drama and hurt feelings.

Sleep now. Try again in a few hours. It will be better then.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
HAL_Laboratory said:
Unfortunately I think it would be extremely easy for Nintendo to fumble the ball at this point. Wii is a success out of the gate, sure, but what happens now? Where are the killer apps? Where are the online titles? Where's the 3rd-party support? I think their position could go either way.

Yet, this is also the same thing I thought when DS Phat was released (which is what brought on the thread derailment, I guess). But then, out of the blue, good games, online, 3rd-party support, a redesign... things just sort of clicked. Maybe it'll be the same way for Wii (slow at first) until X-mas, who knows? But I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing it at this point, even if it is premature.

I mean, what the hell else are we gonna' talk about:p?

There's the post I was looking for! (and the one you should have started your thread with).

Since you obliged, I will too:

1. They must appeal to everyone without appearing to appeal to only kids.
2. They must continue the DS-like phenomena of selling games to people that haven't been playing.
3. They must release as many hits as possible in a timely fashion. Not too many that would saturate the market, but not too few that would give the impression of nothing-coming. I personally think they have to get all of their franchises out before December 2008. All of 'em.
4. They have exactly 2 years to show that they can take the market, because thats about how long it will take for the market to decide. If they have won up to that point, then they get 3 more years. If they lose (or "GC" it), it's back to the drawing board.

Personally, I think the whole Wii thing is the REAL trojan horse of this generation, but for the DS. It's a matter of time before the successor to the DS is announced and it should be at the moment that the Wii is hitting its stride or fading to obscurity.

Me? I think they'll sell 45 million ww, which would be a resounding success.

Feindflug

FTWer said:
-long droughts between game? what are the big name games coming out next? I Only hear Super Smash Brothers sometime this year & Metroid/Mario in later 2007 & the rest in 2008?!
I'd say a check.

-Non-gamer novelty wears off? Let's face it, if Eye Toy, Dance Dance Revolution & Light Gun games didn't bring a new demographic of soccer moms, grandparents & middle aged working men. I some how doubt the wiimote will.
Semi Checked.

-Bad (or slim) 3rd party support? hmmm what are all the killer games announced coming out so far for the Wii made by? Nintendo Nintendo Nintendo. There's that Hammer swinging game & a possible sequel to Red Steel, other than that nothing has really been shown.
I'd say it's a check.

Nintendo needs to bump up Mario or atleast Metroid up unless they will surprise everyone & release Mario Kart, Mario Tennis & a New paper Mario & a few other of their big name games in 2007.
Otherwise it looking too much like the same deal with N64 & Gamecube so far.

I foresee a GC-like drought between good games as you correctly said...and the third party support doesn't sound that great either, at least for the multiplatform games - will devs for example bother to port their games that will be designed for 360/PS3 on the underpowered Wii? Half of them will not even try and the other half will make some really crappy / downgraded ports...and Ninty doesn't look productive either, after SSB, SMG, MP3 and some games that jumped from GC to Wii what's next?

Right now (but I guess we'll see in the future) Wii looks like the ideal system for mini-games...and I'm not going to support that.

bmf said:
I like the thread. It was a great thread. Then it got stupid. I don't think it can be saved at this point, especially with it's OP and a normally cool sales-age type guy going at each other's throats. It should stop before it ends up being 5 more pages of drama and hurt feelings.

Sleep now. Try again in a few hours. It will be better then.

I'm pretty sure things are fixed, actually. The thread is back on track.

Right?

PantherLotus said:
There's the post I was looking for! (and the one you should have started your thread with).

Since you obliged, I will too:

1. They must appeal to everyone without appearing to appeal to only kids.
2. They must continue the DS-like phenomena of selling games to people that haven't been playing.
3. They must release as many hits as possible in a timely fashion. Not too many that would saturate the market, but not too few that would give the impression of nothing-coming. I personally think they have to get all of their franchises out before December 2008. All of 'em.
4. They have exactly 2 years to show that they can take the market, because thats about how long it will take for the market to decide. If they have won up to that point, then they get 3 more years. If they lose (or "GC" it), it's back to the drawing board.

Personally, I think the whole Wii thing is the REAL trojan horse of this generation, but for the DS. It's a matter of time before the successor to the DS is announced and it should be at the moment that the Wii is hitting its stride or fading to obscurity.

Me? I think they'll sell 45 million ww, which would be a resounding success.

I would say... I agree with everything you said. Especially the part about getting the key stuff out by Dec. 2008 -- that's imperitive, IMO.

*phew...

DS success was expected because Nintendo just happens to be good at handhelds? What condescending, hypocritical tripe. Back in 2004, PSP was set to wipe the floor with the DS according to innumerate posters here, and the only reason Nintendo pulled through isn't because of experience, it's because they used a different strategy that no-one outside of themselves had faith in. Touch! Generations is what sold the DS and put it in the position we see today. Not experience, but a distinct type of software that everyone scoffed at. Nintendogs selling well in Japan was surprising; selling more in the US was something unprecendented, and something few seem to truly acknowledge.

What would it take for Nintendo to be screwed again? To rely on their previous experience, and pump out their franchise mainstays without providing the platform-specific content which drive the "Blue Ocean" strategy moniker. Without its own Nintendogs or Brain Training, the Wii will just simply not deliver on its early success.

Alcibiades

_leech_ said:
- Long droughts between good games.
- Non-gamer novelty wears off.
- Bad (or slim) third-party support.

edit:

- Shitty online.
this will happen, or some of this will happen, to different extents, yet they still won't be screwed...

Tim the Wiz said:
DS success was expected because Nintendo just happens to be good at handhelds? What condescending, hypocritical tripe. Back in 2004, PSP was set to wipe the floor with the DS according to innumerate posters here, and the only reason Nintendo pulled through isn't because of experience, it's because they used a different strategy that no-one outside of themselves had faith in. Touch! Generations is what sold the DS and put it in the position we see today. Not experience, but a distinct type of software that everyone scoffed at. Nintendogs selling well in Japan was surprising; selling more in the US was something unprecendented, and something few seem to truly acknowledge.

What would it take for Nintendo to be screwed again? To rely on their previous experience, and pump out their franchise mainstays without providing the platform-specific content which drive the "Blue Ocean" strategy moniker. Without its own Nintendogs or Brain Training, the Wii will just simply not deliver on its early success.

LOL, all of this is very true.

*Goes to find that post by Lapsed...

edit: found it:

Lapsed said:
I have noticed how GAF says that Nintendo needs to do something. And then, Nintendo does the exact opposite to great success.

GAF says Nintendo needs to get ready to compete this generation.

Nintendo says they are not going to compete.

GAF says Nintendo needs to make a Gamecube-Gameboy portable to follow up the GBA.

Nintendo announces DS, and GAF goes "WTF"!?

GAF thinks Nintendo ought to go high-definition like the other consoles.

Nintendo laughs and does not go high definition.

GAF thinks the 'Revolution' name is so cool, it ought to stay.

Nintendo names their console the 'Wii' which GAF thinks is the worst name in the world.

GAF labels the motion controller as 'waggle wand' and thinks Nintendo ought to include the classic controller because third parties won't use the waggle.

Nintendo doesn't include classic controller and makes the wii-mote the standard on the console.

GAF thinks the VC is stupid. Why would anyone buy such archaic games?

Nintendo laughs as GAFfers buy VC games.

GAF says that Nintendo ought not release Brain Trainer to the West because such a game will only sell in Japan because the game is 'Japan Wacky'.

Nintendo releases Brain Trainer to the West, and it becomes very successful.

GAF says to sleep in on Wii's launch day because there will be plenty of systems ready to pick up on the shelves.

Nintendo laughs as it becomes harder to get the console now then it was at launch.

GAF tells Nintendo to put out a price point of $200 or less or no one will buy the system with such ancient technology.

Nintendo laughs because GAF thinks 'next generation' applies only to hardware.

GAF says Nintendo ought to bend over backward to get third parties as they are the key to success.

Nintendo says their software is the key to success and release games like New Super Mario Brothers, Nintendogs, Brain Trainer, and Animal Crossing DS which drove the DS installed base (which then, third parties jumped on board). Nintendo seems to be following a similiar pattern with Wii Sports, Zelda: Twilight Princess, and others to come out.

The point is that the hardcore gamer has been very wrong about Nintendo lately. Hardcore gamers are the vocal minority. Nintendo was listening to them during the N64 and GC era, and where did that get them? Nintendo's actions can basically be summed up as: liberating video games from the tyrannical minority of vocal, whiney, tantrum throwing, hardcore gamers.

And all I have to say is God bless them for that!

Eeer, that was what i said too :p

I also agree with this

maxmars

What would really be ironic is if Nintendo used N64 games to alleviate the droughts. :lol

On topic: what I foresee as a problem for Nintendo is that if they don't manage to put out (including 3rd parties) a steady flow of Wii titles like Touch Generations ones were for DS.

Oh and it's imperative that they keep game prices down, or they will alienate consumers. People got Wii Sports for free and Wii Play almost for free, but I don't think many people find € 69,00 a good pricepoint for games.

I'm afraid to ask for figures but didn't Nintendo have any trouble with shipments or something, the way people are talking it sounds like they've sold over a few million, have they?

usea

What would it take for Nintendo to be screwed again?
I'm not really sure at what point they've been screwed, maybe when sony decided to make their own console that was sort of 'screwed' in a way. The console wars are a gaming fanboy fabrication and don't actually exist in reality.

What would it take for me to personally lose faith in the Wii? Brawl online being poor or non-existant, and brawl in general not living up to melee. Brawl is the reason I bought a wii, and it's really the only thing keeping my interest.

So I went into a GAME store in London, Brent Cross Shopping Centre (for those in London). And looked at the nintendo section. The charts, Far cry is number 1, in UK Wii charts. WTF. I thought Zelda was popular here. That is not ****ing fair. If the game doesn't end up doing 10million WW, This will most likely be the end of 1st party epics, by EAD. TBH I don't remember where Zelda stood, I was so upset by the first part, I lost focus. But I am pretty sure it was like 3-4.

I know nothing to do with thread, actually maybe it does?

NZer

Does it make any sense to say that I think the Wii WILL have a drought, WILL have rubbish online - at least for some time - but that it won't matter? Because they've already done the hard work to persuade people they must have it (just look at the thunderous reception it's had), before actually proving it with substance... because they've done the proving with the DS... like the ps2 didn't actually need games to start with. (Of course, they came eventually, and the Wii will obviously have some, if not many, great games too.)

The ps3 has such negative press that their mistakes at launch are under the microscope, and they are being held to such a high standard that it'll never be good enough.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
the thoroughbred said:
So I went into a GAME store in London, Brent Cross Shopping Centre (for those in London). And looked at the nintendo section. The charts, Far cry is number 1, in UK Wii charts. WTF. I thought Zelda was popular here. That is not ****ing fair. If the game doesn't end up doing 10million WW, This will most likely be the end of 1st party epics, by EAD. TBH I don't remember where Zelda stood, I was so upset by the first part, I lost focus. But I am pretty sure it was like 3-4.

I know nothing to do with thread, actually maybe it does?

holy shit. brent cross!!! i used to visit there all the time when i was like, 5 (grandparents lived in cricklewood) and go on the wooden animal things.. i wonder if they're still there?

theBishop

Banned
The more Nintendo focuses on big, epic games, the more likely Wii will just be another Gamecube.

They'd be smart to push for non-gamers exclusively. Every dollar they spend on "hardcore" games is money that could've been better spent.

julls said:
holy shit. brent cross!!! i used to visit there all the time when i was like, 5 (grandparents lived in cricklewood) and go on the wooden animal things.. i wonder if they're still there?

What wooden animals. I guess not. I don't really look out for any rides. So I guess you have lived in London. Did you hear about Brent Cross in the News and radio, the week before Christmas, and during the sales. There was a prize of £20,000 on radio 1 I think to spend in their. And the news talked about the January sales craze, and gave many examples of Brent Cross. Maybe I make you a friend.

theBishop said:
The more Nintendo focuses on big, epic games, the more likely Wii will just be another Gamecube.

They'd be smart to push for non-gamers exclusively. Every dollar they spend on "hardcore" games is money that could've been better spent.

They don't need one all the time. They should just have one in the works at all times. So one game every 2-4 years I am happy with. As long as it takes the GOTY award (I mean it should be orgasmically good). Like TP.

EDIT

I take that back, I don't mind them making Pikmin's, Metroid, 2.5D games, a few new one off's, I don't like the idea of a franchise. Well not when they all become franchises. A few sidequesty Zelda's. Maybe F-zero's, animal crossing, sports, nintendogs, hamtaro's. As long as they stay creative, and keep pushing boundaries. I want to see some bitGenerations, and Rhythm tegoku and Dk Jungle Beat, and stuff. So one big epic even every 6-10 years is good enough for me. I hate it when something "Sells out" like being whored out. For one I would be happy if SMG and SPM are the last Mario's for a long time, and same goes for Zelda. Move on.

Frenck

Banned
If the PS2 continues to get great 1st and 3rd party support Wii could be screwed, because the PS2 aims for the same audience as Wii with similiar graphics, a more reasonable price and more quality games. I don't know about the US but games like Eye Toy, Buzz and Singstar OWN the casual and non-gamer market over here in Europe.

Wii didn't even touch that market yet, it's being sold to hardcore and casual gamers only at the moment.

The above mentioned PS2 games attract people who never owned a console in their life, people who don't know anything about gaming culture. Without these people Wii will be screwed (Because it would essentialy be Gamecube 2).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Frenck said:
The above mentioned PS2 games attract people who never owned a console in their life, people who don't know anything about gaming culture. Without these people Wii will be screwed.
Millions of these people are buying Wii Sports. Wii is the new PS2 as far as casual gamers are concerned.

R0nn

Frenck said:
If the PS2 continues to get great 1st and 3rd party support Wii could be screwed, because the PS2 aims for the same audience as Wii with similiar graphics, a more reasonable price and more quality games. I don't know about the US but games like Eye Toy, Buzz and Singstar OWN the casual and non-gamer market over here in Europe.

Wii didn't even touch that market yet, it's being sold to hardcore and casual gamers only at the moment.

The above mentioned PS2 games attract people who never owned a console in their life, people who don't know anything about gaming culture. Without these people Wii will be screwed (Because it would essentialy be Gamecube 2).

This is one of the best and most interesting points made in this thread. It's not something many people stand still and really think about when discussing this situation. The PS2 could very well become the biggest threat or the greatest help to the Wii.

- On one hand, the PS2 could assimilate the market that Wii tries to target, namely the casual market (casual in this case being the so called non-gaming audience). The PS2 is much cheaper, has a much larger line-up and as of now a far better brand recognition. Also, their casual products like SingStar, Buzz and EyeToy all work very well in appealing to the casual audience. Also, don't forget that PS2 hasn't hit the magical 99 yet.

- On the other hand, the PS2 could help the Wii getting more attention from casuals. As marc^o^ said, the Wii could very well be viewed as the new PS2 by these people. It's newer hardware, has more functionality (except for DVD-playback) and a totally new control method that comes standard with the console instead of as a peripheral.

Either way, I think this is the biggest element to success or failure of the Wii. Not it's online component, not it's lacking visual fidelity, not the amount of third-party support and not even the amount of first party support. Seriously, all those elements are only really important to us hardcore gamers and to a lesser extend a large portion of the current mainstream market (i.e. GTA and Madden enthusiasts). They are second tier in the grand scheme of things where Wii is concerned. The demands of these casuals are most probably totally different from ours and it's hard for us to understand let alone determine these demands, as evidenced by the initial mostly negative hardcore reaction to the DS and it's runaway success a little more than a year afterward (which seems to have been fueled in large part by these casuals through stuff like Brain Training, Nintendogs and Animal Crossing).

jett

D-Member
Branduil said:
Yeah I know.

When are gamers worldwide going to wake up and realize they're paying $250 for a system that's basically an older console you can buy for less than $100?

FIXED LOLOLZ AMIRITE!?

Nintendo is never going to disappear. The Wii however, well it'll depend if Nintendo can sustain a steady stream of quality games. N64 started out really good too. :p

Ikael

- Release an add on for the Wii which would slipt its userbase "a la 32x". The Wii does NOT need an HD add on, thank you.

- To start not bringing all the bizarre Japanese games to Europe. We love those, danm it!

- A huge software drop or a lack of announcements on the E3 / the next big videogame fair. Few people remembers it, but the first sign of the DS as a viable console and the PSP as a "not so viable" console was when the DS owned the 2005 E3 while the PSP was a no show.

- The belief that the same nongames that made the DS a sucess is gonna have the same efffect on the Wii. Wii brain training will not be half as popular on the Wii. It was perfect for a portable console with touchscreen, not for a home console with a wiimote. Wii - fitness, on the other hand, is the perfect example of "how to translate a concept into a different medium", and the path that Nintendo must take with the Wii's nongames.

- That Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime or any of the big games is a big dissapointment. First party games are the Nintendo's competitive advantage and are suppousedly going to vindicate the wiimote as a true revolution. If that fails, the console's image will be badly damaged (see also: Gamecube first party).

Nintendo's actions can basically be summed up as: liberating video games from the tyrannical minority of vocal, whiney, tantrum throwing, hardcore gamers.

And all I have to say is God bless them for that!

Now if every democratic goverment would do the equivalent of that, we would live in a terrenal paradyse (hence why I am a fan of Nintendo's strategy :p).

Jenga

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Not really furry art, more like lolicon pedophile art.
THE BEST KIND OF ART RIGHT BEHIND LOLICON-SHOTACON-PEDOPHILE-GURO-ANAL-INCEST-TENTACLE-BDSM-ECCHI-FUTANARI HENTAI!

(You know Japan probably has something like this)

HAL_Laboratory said:
The big N has been extraordinarily successful this past year -- from the positive Wii/negative PS3 press (it has helped them, afterall), to the tremendous DS sales and seemingly expanded market due to games like Brain Age and Nintendogs... things are looking really good. The portable race is in the bag, and the console race is off to a good start.

Yet, even with all the success Nintendo has seen over the past 1-2 years -- lifting them out of the N64/Gamecube slump -- I can't help but think it could all vanish if Sony were to do just a few things right. I mean, it all feels so close... anyone else agree with that? Not saying Microsoft is any less capable of stealing Ninty's thunder, but they have alot of work to do in Japan.

That said, what sort of events would have to take place (in your opinion), for Nintendo's "lead" to disappear?

Right now, I don't think it's close at all between Sony and Nintendo. Or Sony and MS for that matter; Sony is in a rut and they need to fix it, clear and simple.

If Nintendo forgets the people who made them a success in the first place and instead spends all their time going after those people's sisters, mothers, grandmothers, etc...yeah things could be a problem. There's nothing worse than a fanboy done wrong (IE me). If they can find a perfect balance between games for the "hardcore" gamers such as Zelda/Metroid/etc and games for "everyone" such as Brain Age/Animal Crossing/etc, they should be in a good position.

Right now I don't see that balance. I see Nintendo creating many new IPs in the "non games" spectrum, but they haven't created many new IPs for hardcore gamers in years. Why is it that Zelda has to be their only adventure game? Why is it that they have to change Metroid into a FPS instead of creating their own (IE, actually putting Retro to work)? Why is it that they still don't have an actual RPG series for their consoles, despite having Intelligent Systems/Camelot (I know they don't own them)/Brownie Brown/etc? Come on. And then there's the third party situation, which could help all of this but certainly hasn't with the level of sluggish indifference publishers seem to show to their own Wii games.

Within the last couple months I've lost most hope in this, to the point I've "changed alliances" if you will. Nintendo is going to make their money for a very long time, but that doesn't mean everyone is satisfied.

Grampasso

FTWer said:
-long droughts between game? what are the big name games coming out next? I Only hear Super Smash Brothers sometime this year & Metroid/Mario in later 2007 & the rest in 2008?!
I'd say a check.

-Non-gamer novelty wears off? Let's face it, if Eye Toy, Dance Dance Revolution & Light Gun games didn't bring a new demographic of soccer moms, grandparents & middle aged working men. I some how doubt the wiimote will.
Semi Checked.

-Bad (or slim) 3rd party support? hmmm what are all the killer games announced coming out so far for the Wii made by? Nintendo Nintendo Nintendo. There's that Hammer swinging game & a possible sequel to Red Steel, other than that nothing has really been shown.
I'd say it's a check.

Nintendo needs to bump up Mario or atleast Metroid up unless they will surprise everyone & release Mario Kart, Mario Tennis & a New paper Mario & a few other of their big name games in 2007.
Otherwise it looking too much like the same deal with N64 & Gamecube so far.

You do realize the first 6 months for DS were just like this too? All these statements were checked back then.
And please don't start with the "handheld and home market are different": the success the Wii is having right now is very similar to the one DS had at launch, so I think, at least for the previous months, Nintendo has already delivered (from an all-around perspective, just looking at all the buzz around the Wii). How will it shape up in the future, we'll see after March.

ksamedi

I remember Iwata saying (in a press conference to stockholders) that there plan is all set up, the first year there going to make traditional games for the hardcore with some non-games, the second year, they are going to concentrate on non-games with some for the hardcore. I hope someone remembers this statement cause i cant find it anymore, but he did say this.

Kreed

Capcom Big 5 - TBA 2009
Metroid Prime 3 - Q1 2008
Super Mario Galaxy - Q4 2008
Super Smash Bros Brawl - TBA 2009 - Local Multi-Player Only

bumpkin

Screwed? They were very profitable even with the GameCube being the "loser" of last gen, so them being screwed would be them not making games anymore; not consoles, I mean the software, which is what continues to make them profitable.

Now you want to talk about screwed... Sony is the one bent over a trash-can in a dark alley right now taking a $320 money shot every time a system is sold. :lol

mysticstylez said:
It's happening already, you have your good Nintendo games like Zelda, minimal amounts of original 3rd party games (Red Steel, Elebits ) and bad ports not taking advantage of the system, (Far Cry, Splinter Cell, Marvel:UA, etc.)

You know that EA has set up a studio to do original Wii games?

jacktion

Banned
The 360 is doing well in the West but without Japanese support (of which it has none) it will slowly be passed by the likes of the Wii and eventually the PS3. Japan makes up almost half of the video game buying world so with zero acceptance there the 360 is doomed to last place despite looking pretty good.

The Wii is smoking the PS3 right now mainly on price and novelty. Neither have any real killer apps so if things continue like this I'd say that Nintendo will stay ahead due to price and Nintendo factor.

So it seems that Nintendo will win this generation due to 360's lack of acceptance in Japan and the PS3's high price. This could change if Sony drops price or delivers killer software. If the 360 starts to gain traction in Japan it could be a threat but as things look right now Nintendo is the strong favorite.

If Nintendo does not deliver the software like it did for the DS then I could see the Wii passing away as a weak novelty.

Parl

If you ask me, and any other sane person on the internet, it doesn't matter how much profit Nintendo make or how much they benefit from being a hardware manufacturer, they WILL go third party if they don't have the most market share after this generation.

Top Bottom