• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you feel about Sony releasing a Steam Deck/Hybrid type device?

Rubytux

Neo Member
I wouldnt be mad if they try, but i am not sure they Will drop The power house Focus they have For a console instead of trying with a PS Portable.

Currently there are a lot of competition in The Steam Deck-clone market, but they lack reach, and resources For a global scale player.

Sony has resources, knowedge and an ecosystem already stablished. Against them, are The expectatives.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Why is steam deck a hybrid device? Does it plug into the TV or something?

If all it takes is being able to plug into the TV to be a hybrid then the PSP and Vita would fall under that.

In all honestly I'd be happy with a new Sony portable, despite in the west being reactively unpopular I got a ton of use out of mine.

Ogbert

I think Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch and Santa Monica are so good they can make games on any hardware and have it be industry leading in graphics.

PS6 sales would go crazy if it was a portable device and especially in Japan.
Well, they’re not really.

Sony first party rely on outstanding visual fidelity. It’s their thing. That’s not a criticism. Naughty Dog are the best in the world when it comes to graphics. Gameplay, not so much.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch and Santa Monica are so good they can make games on any hardware and have it be industry leading in graphics.

That mostly applies to devs like Capcom, they can make amazing looking games even on 3DS, I cant say the same about Naughty Dog, they heavily rely on powerful systems.
rer1ex8c.gif

CunningPlan

Neo Member
I think that as long as it's a device that would play all ps4/5 games and isn't its own small ecosystem then it would be successful. There's just aren't enough resources to make enough exclusives just for a handheld as they found last time they tried.

ManaByte

Gold Member
They should release a PS5 Slim that has both a UHD BD drive and a XQD slot. Release games on either disc or XQD and then release a handheld PS5 that can run the XQD games.

Fbh

No thx.

I don't want Sony dividing their output between their home console and a handheld (like Nintendo did before the Switch). Or if they decide to release everything on both I don't want all Sony first party games to be held back by some portable system

Certinty

Gimme a portable PS5 which can play games at like 720p and I’ll happily buy it for £450.

I want a Steam Deck to be honest but I have no Steam library so that ain’t for me.

Holammer

A Sony Steam Deck/Hybrid type device could plausibly work if it was a PS4 or compatible, otherwise it's just another millstone on Sony's neck.
Nintendo owns the space and Valve offers a platform with unparalleled freedom. I don't think Sony could bring the guns needed despite OP's admiration of the first party devs.

One simple solution could be a Sony branded Deck, work out a revenue share model with Valve and Bob's your uncle. No duplication of effort needed.

MikeM

Market is already saturated enough with Steam Deck and Switch. And, you should be able to get PC PS games on Steam Deck.

Rubytux

Neo Member
I want a Steam Deck to be honest but I have no Steam library so that ain’t for me.
I dont consider that much of an issue, PC games are cheaper and on sale at a lower price than on consoles in most of the cases.

Now, back to topic, i think it would be very easy for Sony to apply an almost proven concept now and add value over most of the competition by adding The Playstation ecosystem services around The commodity hardware that is The X86 arquitecture

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

add a poll you motherfucker you cant just ask a question like this and not have a poll
anyways i honestly think the Steam Deck is going to be better than any handheld sony would ever come up with. one is a gaming device that doubles as a laptop and the other is a pure gaming device that doesn't play nearly as many games and leaves you sadly in one ecosystem
now, a PS4 portable is something else. These days you can easily cram PS4 hardware into the size of a tablet seeing how the system is 9 years old these days, and youve got a proven library of games that people enjoy. Seems like a winner to me

Last edited:

Kabelly

It would only work if it was more / or as poweful as a PS5. Them regressing in graphics wouldn't be a good look. I think we've learned by now that having too many pillars that segment your playerbase isn't a good idea.

It's part of the reason Switch is so sucessful because I didn't have to choose between Nintendo's home console franchises or their handheld only titles. I get everything under one umbrella and one device.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It would only work if it was more / or as poweful as a PS5.
I can see that, sort of
the PSP was so good primarily because it was PS2 power in a handheld form factor. if the new sony handheld could do that then we'd have something good on our hands.

daveonezero

Banned
Yeah it’s only work if they ditch the home console all together and go all in on a new box that is hybrid.

They can’t have both PS6 and a hybrid.

radewagon

Just rerelease the Vita with support for non-proprietary flash storage and bring back the OLED screen. Then, start making games for it again. The Vita is a great handheld. I still prefer it to my Switch.

They tried this with the Vita and it did not work. Even Nintendo consolidated their efforts into a one-device approach with the switch and thats paid off for them very well.

I think their time and money would be far better spent on remote play. The current version just looks and feels like not a lot of resources were allocated to it. It's a great concept, has a lot of potential if they can solve the latency problems. I would love to have constant, reliable access to my library on my phone/tablet/laptop from anywhere on the planet.

Rac3r

They aren’t going to release another handheld sadly. Nintendo and Valve have that market cornered, and it doesn’t make sense for Sony to spend time and money on R&D when they’re regularly releasing games on PC anyways. Sony execs like Shu have even tweeted pics of God of War running on the steam deck.

The dream died when they shifted focus from the Vita to PSVR.

Last edited:
I think it would be better if Valve and Microsoft made an alliance. A windows machine with Steam, epic (maybe) and the xbox store installed.

AndrewRyan

Loved the Vita hardware but not how Sony supported it so probably wouldn't buy another portable from them. After owning a Steam Deck it's hard to imagine going back to a closed ecosystem. Hopefully the powerful cheap chip era is here to stay and the Deck is only the beginning of many amazing open portables from now on.

Apocryphon

Obviously this isn't something Sony woupd actually consider, but I love handhelds and would probably buy another one from Sony.

That said, I think it would be a far more successful strategy to create a portable PS4 or even PS3, retaining access to all existing games through the online store. Forget physical games (I know I know), and go fully digital like Steam Deck. We have seen re-released retro consoles from Nintendo, Sega, and Sony already, this would just be handheld with USB-C video out and whatever upscaling tech..

But nah. They killed the Vita too early and nobody would trust them.

This could be the magic machine to officially play PS3 and lower, incl. their handheld titles as well...Sony's done weirder stuff like PS Vita TV so I say bring it on!

kubricks

They tried something similar before, they failed and ended official support when there are still life to the system. It's called the Vita.

They will not make a device that go directly against Nintendo. It's would not be affordable anyway with the spec they had in mind.

Please don't repeat history. Do your console thing Sony.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
They don't need to. Remote play on your phone and you can use your ps5 anywhere

Top Bottom