• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you feel about Sony releasing a Steam Deck/Hybrid type device?

Apocryphon

This could be the magic machine to officially play PS3 and lower, incl. their handheld titles as well...Sony's done weirder stuff like PS Vita TV so I say bring it on!
That's the only way I see it being viable, but the issue with PS3 is the Cell processor. Can't imagine it being cost effective enough to fabricate more of them. Maybe they could emulate it.

But yeah, a handheld that has great battery life, natively plays PS3, PS2, and PS1 games that are available digitally though a single online store, and has some sort of upscaling tech to support a 720p screen would be something I'd buy. They can fuck off with proprietary media though!

Give it a USB-C dock that outputs up to 1080p/60 and I'd be game.

Issues with PS3 game servers, music licensing, defunct publishers etc would cause plenty of issues though so I can't see it ever happening. Better to just buy a Steam Deck or one of its competitors and emulate those games instead.

SeraphJan

If Sony ever wish to enter the portable market again, they need to rethink their strategy, the portable market is not about power, especially true when Steam Deck is out, there is no reason to compete with it in terms of raw power.

What they should do is releasing a device that is affordable, good battery life, convenience such output to TV, but what's most important is SOFTWARE, they need to design software specifically targeting portable habits, people play game differently and likes different types of game when on the go, games like Animal Crossing, Minecraft, Monster hunters, Stardew Valley are killer app for this kind of habit, these software doesn't have to be triple A, in fact they are actually cheap to make, the low budget of these titles will enable creativity since even if it failed they could always try something new, this route also has the benefit of not dividing too much resources from their Home console line, which will ensure their console games are still the same quality. Most Sony studios does not lack creative minds, they are totally capable of creating games that are cheap to make but fun to play, and since these software are exclusive to their device will enable the desires to buy the device just to try something new.

Of course making something new doesn't mean they can't just port some of their previous gen home console line up to the device, but their main focus should head to creativity where they could experiment with all sorts of stuff

The short history of video game industry told us, handheld is never about raw power, every handheld that pursue raw power mostly end up failing.

For those of people that think a handheld is a bad idea, its only a bad idea when its poorly executed. The real bad idea is to copy everything Microsoft does, Sony cannot out buy Microsoft in terms of studio, their market caps are lopsided in favor of MS, the odds are also not with Sony when it comes to subscription service. They should create their own route and co-exist with different area of expertise, but unfortunately that is not the current direction they are heading.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They tried this with the Vita and it did not work. Even Nintendo consolidated their efforts into a one-device approach with the switch and thats paid off for them very well.

I think their time and money would be far better spent on remote play. The current version just looks and feels like not a lot of resources were allocated to it. It's a great concept, has a lot of potential if they can solve the latency problems. I would love to have constant, reliable access to my library on my phone/tablet/laptop from anywhere on the planet.

This would be nothing like the Vita at all.

- instead of being overpriced, it would be competitive.
- Instead of being handheld only, it would be a hybrid.
- Instead of having a very limited software selection there would be tons of easy ports and day and date releases of AAA titles. The hardware much like steam deck and series s would be similar to current gen.
- Instead of tiny included storage and overpriced memory cards, storage would be far greater out of the box and inexpensive to expand.

It's so far off from vita it's in another universe. It would be a huge hit. The only question left really is who has the guts to launch it, Sony or ms?

Last edited:
I don't care about handheld gaming anymore. Used to love it when I was a kid but now I have multiple 65 inch 4ktv's in my house. I find it almost impossible to go from big screen gaming to playing on a tiny screen in comparison.

GymWolf

More time and money wasted on something i give 2 fucks about.

But i'm sure many people are gonna love it.

Ozzie666

I think they missed the boat honestly. Steam Desk just cemented the credibility of such a device, after several other efforts by lesser companies. It's an open echo system for the most part, it just an extension of PC, so it works. But once you lock it down to PSN or Gamepass, it's not the same. PS4 portable and down ported PS5 titles, sure. But honestly XBOX could manage this much easier with something in line with the S. But publishers won't allow games to be cross platform across gamepass console or PSN to PC, where as PC titles are out of their control. It just works, PC for the win.

Nothing against Valve, but Sony and Microsoft working with AMD, could produce a monster hand held PC, better than Valve, maybe better value too. But Sony missed their chance, unless it can play PS5 games, it's probably pointless then. Microsoft, still has a shot.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
sure, they should. Make it as powerful as the PS5, 16 hours battery life, no analog drift, output to TV and $100, play all PS1 to PS5 games. Show Nintendo how it is done.

Top Bottom