• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you increase PSVR2 sales?

MarkMe2525

I'm on Amazon this morning looking at the PSVR2 and to my surprise, the headset only moved at most 5k units, and at min 2k units over the past month (on Amazon). Taking into account that we just recently "celebrated" black Friday, what should we take away from this info? Numbers like these cannot instill confidence in PlayStation leadership to continue investment, but the flip side is without the investment, the platform will continue to flounder.

Edit: for comparison, Meta moved 230k+ headsets on Amazon over blackfriday

If given the opportunity, what would you implement to give the PSVR2 the shot in the arm it needs? To keep it interesting, try to stick with plausible scenarios. Of course they could pump up the user base by giving it away for free, but that would never happen for obvious reasons.

ZpOINZV.jpg
rUR8SmS.jpg

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

3 words

HALF.LIFE.ALYX
I agree that it would be a great get for the platform. But looking at the numbers Meta was able to do (I just added them into the OP) withoutthe game, I'm not convinced that HLA would move the needle significantly. This is even considering a portion of the Meta headsets sold will be used almost exclusively connected to a PC.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Console VR needs to be wireless IMO.
I don't understand why a direct wifi connection was not utilized. Yes usability is negatively impacted the further away you are, but what's the disadvantage when a current user is currently tethered.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PC drivers (could just let Valve do it similar to the recent SteamVR app on Meta Quest).

For all the talk of PC VR being dead and despite all big VR media and influencers shunning the platform, bashing it every change they get and not reporting 90% of its awesome offerings (hence only top well known VR games sell great on PC and smaller games certainly do better where they get some visibility, with the caveat that many other indies don't even get approved for Quest or are relegated to the App Lab graveyard and so only really sell on PC at all) VR Desktop was consistently a top seller on the Quest store. With the free SteamVR app it may not sell as much (even if it's better the core functionality being easy and free certainly hurts it) but yeah, PC gamers are interested in VR, even if software doesn't always sell, swept under the rug by the media and influencers not doing their jobs plus the competition with flat games meaning gamers only wait for those special games that can top everything rather than buy whatever - yet that will eventually be a problem on all the stores just as Switch initially was an indie heaven but PC remained a consistent success driver over the years and not just for those who are lucky enough to get in early at the expense of the majority...

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

More games. Or PC mod. I'll buy psvr 2 whenever it can be used on Pc.
Do you currently have a pc headset, or a stand-alone that you connect to the PC?

PC drivers (could just let Valve do it similar to the recent SteamVR app on Meta Quest).

More games. Or PC mod. I'll buy psvr 2 whenever it can be used on Pc.
I think it would benefit Sony long term to open up their platforms a little. As long as they produce compelling software, they would still ensure strong software sales through their ecosystem.

Last edited:

XXL

Sony should pay someone (or Rockstar) to make a GTAV and/or RDR2 VR version for PSVR 2.

RDR2 would be a dream in VR. There was a mod for PC, but Rockstar took it down. If you haven't seen it before, go check it out on YouTube.

Allowing PSVR 2 to be used with Steam is also not a bad idea either.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

• Add PC compatibility and publish VR games on PC too.
  • Require all games to have a demo, and/or have a timed trial of full games without needing PS Plus premium.
  • More PSVR2 bundles. RE4 remake next is a no brainer.
  • A more visible spot in PS Store.
All of these are doable as well. Nice list that doesn't rely on slashing price.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Bundle it with ever PS5 and hope to make money back with software sales. Only way I can see VR going mainstream is for it to ship with the hardware at $500 total.

MarkMe2525

Bundle it with ever PS5 and hope to make money back with software sales. Only way I can see VR going mainstream is for it to ship with the hardware at $500 total.
Like others have mentioned, allowing use with PC would take the sting out of the current price. It would also Segway PC customers into a PS5 with exclusive software.

XXL

I would spend way more time than I would like to admit just slowly exploring the world on horse back. Doing a little fishing and hunting. RdR2 and VR are a potential match made in heaven.
Go look up the RDR2 VR mod videos on YouTube. It's a dream VR game, imo.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I guess I just don’t know why Sony is half assing their handling of VR. It’s like they’re too afraid to fully commit, but still want their foot in the door.

Hudo

Open it up for PC use, beg Valve to port Half-Life: Alyx, get some first-party studios to do some purpose-made "AAA" experiences. Either you commit seriously to it or you fucking drop the platform. This half-assing Sony are currently doing is just satisfying no one.

Astrobot 1 ported over and Astrobot 2 in the works. Astrobot expansions, Astrobot T-shrits, Funko pops, toys, lego's.

I agree on the open it up to PC. Astrobot PC

MarkMe2525

My God... I'm watching now. The internal debate I have had for 20 years is over. I have to invest in a gaming PC. Funnily enough what started me on this thought today was I just talked myself into getting a PS5 and PSVR2, and what I saw on Amazon was eye opening. Now I'm left wondering if I wouldn't get my money's worth out of it. Sucks, because I really think it's a great kit.

wondermega

I will preface by saying that I am an ardent supporter of VR, specifically Sony VR (first version on PS4 has some great games, they made a strong effort overall). That being said, I have yet to find a reason to want to buy this thing. Sony seems lukewarm as all hell about the whole concept - they have nice hardware, the experience overall sounds like a huge step up, I don't even mind the fact that there is a cable involved (of course I am not happy about it, but it is hardly a dealbreaker).

No, the issues is that there just aren't any real high-profile games that are drawing me to this thing. Granted, I barely pay attention to the scene anymore (and that is putting it generously), but enough to realize that the types of games that I want a company like Sony to be pushing for such a device, just aren't materializing and not really sure what seems to be on the horizon at this point. Yes, GT looks incredible and for the longest time I've told myself "just get it for that one game alone, it sounds worth it!" but I honestly cannot justify all of that investment for just ONE game at this point, in spite of whatever hype I have heard about it.

I am sure a couple of people can come in here and tout another AAA-level VR game or two that is either available or coming down the pipe at some point, but tell me the truth, is there really anything that is just so compelling (now or later) that one can justify the amount of investment at this point? (I still haven't got a PS5, btw)

Even if it was "just" a sequel to Astrobot, well that would be a pretty bright spot. I can rattle off a bunch of things that would be great, and as I stated there were more than a few really cool games that released for the predecessor that really impressed me (Farpoint, Blood and Truth, Rush of Blood, etc). Even if there was some caveat "this is in development, here's a teaser but this is all A YEAR OR TWO AWAY" it would still be something. At this point it does really feel like the thing was sent to die, and that is a shame for a whole bunch of reasons.

I mean, even if I could just watch my damn 3D Blurays on the thing with a quality step-up over PSVR that would be something. Anyway, sorry for complaining, I do because I care about this..

MarkMe2525

I will preface by saying that I am an ardent supporter of VR, specifically Sony VR (first version on PS4 has some great games, they made a strong effort overall). That being said, I have yet to find a reason to want to buy this thing. Sony seems lukewarm as all hell about the whole concept - they have nice hardware, the experience overall sounds like a huge step up, I don't even mind the fact that there is a cable involved (of course I am not happy about it, but it is hardly a dealbreaker).

No, the issues is that there just aren't any real high-profile games that are drawing me to this thing. Granted, I barely pay attention to the scene anymore (and that is putting it generously), but enough to realize that the types of games that I want a company like Sony to be pushing for such a device, just aren't materializing and not really sure what seems to be on the horizon at this point. Yes, GT looks incredible and for the longest time I've told myself "just get it for that one game alone, it sounds worth it!" but I honestly cannot justify all of that investment for just ONE game at this point, in spite of whatever hype I have heard about it.

I am sure a couple of people can come in here and tout another AAA-level VR game or two that is either available or coming down the pipe at some point, but tell me the truth, is there really anything that is just so compelling (now or later) that one can justify the amount of investment at this point? (I still haven't got a PS5, btw)

Even if it was "just" a sequel to Astrobot, well that would be a pretty bright spot. I can rattle off a bunch of things that would be great, and as I stated there were more than a few really cool games that released for the predecessor that really impressed me (Farpoint, Blood and Truth, Rush of Blood, etc). Even if there was some caveat "this is in development, here's a teaser but this is all A YEAR OR TWO AWAY" it would still be something. At this point it does really feel like the thing was sent to die, and that is a shame for a whole bunch of reasons.

I mean, even if I could just watch my damn 3D Blurays on the thing with a quality step-up over PSVR that would be something. Anyway, sorry for complaining, I do because I care about this..
I feel this. Look at my post right before yours. I just convinced myself to get one (that's why I was lookong at it), and my confidence really took a hit when I saw how little units were being moved.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The quest 3 is an amazing headset. This just didn't capture any real buzz I don't think. It will have its fan base and it will do fine but Sony won't support it with anymore real first party games I don't think.

Hopefully it gets one amazing astro bot game and I'll pick up the refresh with pancake lenses.

MarkMe2525

The *PSVR2* is an amazing headset. This just didn't capture any real buzz I don't think. It will have its fan base and it will do fine but Sony won't support it with anymore real first party games I don't think.

Hopefully it gets one amazing astro bot game and I'll pick up the refresh with pancake lenses.
Lol I fixed it for you. Seems like you have Quest on the mind

Spyxos

It feels like the PS Vita all over again. They just can't support 2 different platforms with different games anymore. So much unused potential.

XXL

My God... I'm watching now. The internal debate I have had for 20 years is over. I have to invest in a gaming PC. Funnily enough what started me on this thought today was I just talked myself into getting a PS5 and PSVR2, and what I saw on Amazon was eye opening. Now I'm left wondering if I wouldn't get my money's worth out of it. Sucks, because I really think it's a great kit.
Get a gaming PC, it's a great idea regardless.

But unfortunately, this mod was taken down by Rockstar. This is why I want the PSVR2 version (badly).

Markio128

GTA 5 VR / RDR2 VR
I have an inkling that hybrid games will finally flourish once the PS5 Pro releases. The extra console horse power should allow easier PSVR2 ports. Games like GT7 will likely replicate the flatscreen version in VR without sacrifices as well. And there’ll hopefully less need for reprojection.

It’s the main reason why I’m looking forward to a pro console tbh, because it automatically boosts PSVR2.

Crayon

Make lakitu modes for the marquee games and advertise it. They don't need to be vraf. Just make it an alternate way to play without altering the gameplay. I appreciate something withore time put into it like RE8 but really if that is too much work then just make me lakitu.

Everyone fucking loved astrobot and you just play sitting with a controller and enjoy what the headset itself brings. I want that.

MarkMe2525

Make lakitu modes for the marquee games and advertise it. They don't need to be vraf. Just make it an alternate way to play without altering the gameplay. I appreciate something withore time put into it like RE8 but really if that is too much work then just make me lakitu.

Everyone fucking loved astrobot and you just play sitting with a controller and enjoy what the headset itself brings. I want that.
I have never heard of the term lakitu.

Top Bottom