• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you increase PSVR2 sales?

Romulus

I think sony has the best chance to topple Meta in VR, but it probably won't be this generation. They need to streamline 1st person games so that a VR version is easily ported.

I think sony has the best chance to topple Meta in VR, but it probably won't be this generation. They need to streamline 1st person games so that a VR version is easily ported.

I agree that it won't be this gen, but you look at games like RE4 and possibly Ace Combat 8 combined with GT7... these are basically the quintessential experiences you could possibly have with VR.

That these could be enhanced and improved upon with a PSVR3 that is wireless will speak volumes.

Sony can beat Meta by attrition and leveraging major traditional gaming. Meta is always going to have a ceiling.

MarkMe2525

I returned mine after a week as I wasn't satisfied with the games on offer.
Damn, I did that with the Vita. I worked at Best Buy on release, and picked one up. I got home and when I realized I would need a $100 memory card to download software, I returned it the next day.

I agree that it won't be this gen, but you look at games like RE4 and possibly Ace Combat 8 combined with GT7... these are basically the quintessential experiences you could possibly have with VR.

That these could be enhanced and improved upon with a PSVR3 that is wireless will speak volumes.

Sony can beat Meta by attrition and leveraging major traditional gaming. Meta is always going to have a ceiling.
While PlayStation will always have a power advantage, by the time we are looking at a next gen PSVR system, we will be expecting, or have, Quest 4. There will be no toppling of Meta, and frankly there doesn't need to be. Sony doesn't have to be the dominate player in a market to be a success. This feels like residual console wars spilling over.

Last edited:
Another PlayStation platform sent out to die by Sony, just like the ps vita. Sony just don’t have capacity to support multiple platforms, and don’t want to invest either. They are becoming to arrogant, if ms was not so useless, they would had their ass handed to them a while back.

plip.plop

Console VR needs to be wireless IMO.

I haven’t even played the PSVR2 games that do exist enough to be tired of them, I just never feel like pulling it out.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

OrtizTwelve

I'm on Amazon this morning looking at the PSVR2 and to my surprise, the headset only moved at most 5k units, and at min 2k units over the past month (on Amazon). Taking into account that we just recently "celebrated" black Friday, what should we take away from this info? Numbers like these cannot instill confidence in PlayStation leadership to continue investment, but the flip side is without the investment, the platform will continue to flounder.

Edit: for comparison, Meta moved 160k+ headsets on Amazon over blackfriday

If given the opportunity, what would you implement to give the PSVR2 the shot in the arm it needs? To keep it interesting, try to stick with plausible scenarios. Of course they could pump up the user base by giving it away for free, but that would never happen for obvious reasons.

ZpOINZV.jpg
rUR8SmS.jpg

PlayStation has forgotten about PSVR2. The amount of buzz around this new product launch is 0. The pricing for the unit is more expensive than a PS5 itself, there is little to no actual software worth buying the unit for, and don't forget that Sony for whatever reason opted to NOT include backwards compatibility with PSVR1 which in itself is totally and absolutely baffling to me and makes 0 business sense.

It's almost as if last minute Sony decided to kill this product but without making it obvious, since they've already spent tons of money developing this platform.

I am calling it now, PSVR2 is discontinued around 2025.

Last edited:
I think they need to spill the beans on the next big games. So far, the thing has been phenomenal. It doesn’t need to be wireless either, it takes one extra minute to take out.

Edit: As for Black Friday, were there even sales?

Last edited:

schaft0620

Hello 👋

I've been covering PSVR/PS VR2 for like 5 years now over on lordsofgaming.net. I was the writer who correctly identified the display in 2020. Here is what I would do.

1. Drop the price to $500, include a game.
2. As a make good to current owners, put Firewall Ultra on PS+.
3. Identify SIE employees on the first and third party side to find projects (I don't believe they are doing this today but just my opinion).
4. A new AAA Motorstorm game with full VR support.
5. Twisted Metal gets full VR support.
6. Marathon or Concord get VR support.
7. Identity an external developer (as they did with PSP+PS Vita) to make Killzone and Resistance VR games. I would go trilogy Remake but a new stand-alone would be fine.
8. Make VR part of EVERY State of Play going forward.
9. Live Sports - 1-2 games per year, with the court side view Meta had.
10. Every PS VR player with PS+ gets their own room. You can walk into eachothers rooms, see their trophies physically, and play 1 retro game they have selected from their couch. In your room, you can display the perks you got from that Stars program or whatever that digital collectable is. Along with your favorite games.
11. Roblox
12. Push EA to make F1 and WRC PS VR2, they are only doing PC for some reason. I would fund Madden, NHL VR as well.
13. Astro
14. Metal Gear Solid VR Missions.

Last edited:

TheMan

1. Drop the price
2. Allow PC compat
3. INVEST IN AAA VR GAMES. This is the big one, and I can't think of very many big first party games aside from COTM and GT7. Granted those are great but not nearly enough.

nial

Gold Member
Fund and publish a AAA Capcom game made by their VR team at CGD1 (Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, Resident Evil Village and Resident Evil 4), if they don't want to do it themselves.

Ozzie666

It's clearly obvious Sony is just dipping their toes into the VR space and not fully committed. As a consumer, you pick up on those things. Until they go all in, not going to happen. Just making the platform is not enough.

Robb

Gold Member
Way more big games and a way lower price would be a start.

Although I think the concept is flawed to begin with when it’s tied to only being a Ps5 peripheral. It should be treated as its own platform and anyone should be able to plug and play on PC.

DrFigs

I realize I am comparing it to a product from a saturated market, but Quest 3 alone sold better than Apple Airpods on Amazon during black Friday. I'm a VR enthusiast and even I was surprised at its strong showing. I think the demand is there for the right product. This is just from my point of view of course.

Edit: Meta moved more than 230,000 Quests on Amazon during black friday.
that's a good ass point. i'm just a vr hater though. but i guess it is more successful for other companies than I thought.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Focus on the potential of integrating existing non-VR games into VR platforms, emphasizing how minimal adjustments can significantly enhance the gaming experience:

An effective strategy for leveraging VR technology involves incorporating non-VR games into VR environments without the need for complete redesigns. The premise is simple yet impactful: any existing game can be transformed into a VR game, enhancing its appeal and immersiveness, regardless of its genre. For instance, third-person games, with some minor modifications, can thrive in VR settings.

One of the key advantages of this approach is the utilization of unique control options available in platforms like PSVR. PSVR2, in particular, demonstrates remarkable capabilities with its eye-tracking technology. This feature not only feels intuitive but also introduces new, innovative ways to interact with games, akin to mind control. It's a high-fidelity implementation that enriches the gaming experience.

Moreover, the inclusion of motion controls allows for more natural and physical gameplay, reminiscent of the Wii system. This can be particularly beneficial for players who struggle with traditional controller-based aiming.

Imagine playing a third-person game where your natural head movements control the camera, offering a seamless and intuitive experience. Eye-tracking technology could enable an automatic 'lock-on' system, targeting enemies simply by looking at them. Similarly, weapon aiming could be managed by directing the VR controller, providing a more immersive and responsive experience. This setup also frees up the right analog stick for other functions, opening up a myriad of gameplay possibilities.

Importantly, VR adaptations of third-person games could reduce motion sickness, a common issue with first-person views in VR. This is because the movement of an on-screen character in a third-person perspective tends to be less disorienting for the player's balance and perception.

Despite the potential, there seems to be a lack of adequate support and marketing for such innovations, as evidenced by Sony's handling of PSVR2. This technology presents a cost-effective opportunity for game developers, as evidenced by Capcom's efforts with Resident Evil VR conversions. These adaptations, though challenging due to their shift to a more interactive, first-person VR perspective, have been executed without additional costs to the players, proving the feasibility and appeal of VR conversions.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Get a gaming PC, it's a great idea regardless.

But unfortunately, this mod was taken down by Rockstar. This is why I want the PSVR2 version (badly).
Mod still works, and is freely available (was taken down because he was charging for it) you just have to rollback the game version. Not sure if posting links to mods is frowned upon here or not, so I'll just link to an article about it that still has the Archive dot org links and tells you how to rollback the game version;) https://fossbytes.com/play-red-dead-redemption-2-in-vr-rdr2-free-vr-mod/

MarkMe2525

Hello 👋

I've been covering PSVR/PS VR2 for like 5 years now over on lordsofgaming.net. I was the writer who correctly identified the display in 2020. Here is what I would do.

1. Drop the price to $500, include a game.
2. As a make good to current owners, put Firewall Ultra on PS+.
3. Identify SIE employees on the first and third party side to find projects (I don't believe they are doing this today but just my opinion).
4. A new AAA Motorstorm game with full VR support.
5. Twisted Metal gets full VR support.
6. Marathon or Concor get VR support.
7. Identity an external developer (as they did with PSP+PS Vita) to make Killzone and Resistance VR games. I would go trilogy Remake but a new stand-alone would be fine.
8. Make VR part of EVERY State of Play going forward.
9. Live Sports - 1-2 games per year, with the court side view Meta had.
10. Every PS VR player with PS+ gets their own room. You can walk into eachothers rooms, see their trophies physically, and play 1 retro game they have selected from their couch. In your room, you can display the perks you got from that Stars program or whatever that digital collectable is. Along with your favorite games.
11. Roblox
12. Push EA to make F1 and WRC PS VR2, they are only doing PC for some reason. I would fund Madden, NHL VR as well.
13. Astro
14. Metal Gear Solid VR Missions.
Love it, they all seem doable as well
Focus on the potential of integrating existing non-VR games into VR platforms, emphasizing how minimal adjustments can significantly enhance the gaming experience:

An effective strategy for leveraging VR technology involves incorporating non-VR games into VR environments without the need for complete redesigns. The premise is simple yet impactful: any existing game can be transformed into a VR game, enhancing its appeal and immersiveness, regardless of its genre. For instance, third-person games, with some minor modifications, can thrive in VR settings.

One of the key advantages of this approach is the utilization of unique control options available in platforms like PSVR. PSVR2, in particular, demonstrates remarkable capabilities with its eye-tracking technology. This feature not only feels intuitive but also introduces new, innovative ways to interact with games, akin to mind control. It's a high-fidelity implementation that enriches the gaming experience.

Moreover, the inclusion of motion controls allows for more natural and physical gameplay, reminiscent of the Wii system. This can be particularly beneficial for players who struggle with traditional controller-based aiming.

Imagine playing a third-person game where your natural head movements control the camera, offering a seamless and intuitive experience. Eye-tracking technology could enable an automatic 'lock-on' system, targeting enemies simply by looking at them. Similarly, weapon aiming could be managed by directing the VR controller, providing a more immersive and responsive experience. This setup also frees up the right analog stick for other functions, opening up a myriad of gameplay possibilities.

Importantly, VR adaptations of third-person games could reduce motion sickness, a common issue with first-person views in VR. This is because the movement of an on-screen character in a third-person perspective tends to be less disorienting for the player's balance and perception.

Despite the potential, there seems to be a lack of adequate support and marketing for such innovations, as evidenced by Sony's handling of PSVR2. This technology presents a cost-effective opportunity for game developers, as evidenced by Capcom's efforts with Resident Evil VR conversions. These adaptations, though challenging due to their shift to a more interactive, first-person VR perspective, have been executed without additional costs to the players, proving the feasibility and appeal of VR conversions.
1st party conversions just seem like a no brainer

MarkMe2525

that's a good ass point. i'm just a vr hater though. but i guess it is more successful for other companies than I thought.
You will be converted eventually. That is unless you only have one eye or arm, that could be a potential roadblock.

Reallink

1 year on and they haven't announced a single game for it beyond the pre-launch info dump (i.e. Horizon, Resident Evil's, GT), all of which are now released. While PS5 itself has no problem moving units on Jim Ryan patented radio silence, it's the death knell for VR as it's way too niche, which is compounded by Sony's reputation for abandoning "second pillar" platforms and and peripherals. Having moved all their B-Teams and support studios to GaaS projects, it seems pretty clear they have nothing coming and will just let it die quietly in the background with only indie Quest ports to speak of.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

1 year on and they haven't announced a single game for it beyond the pre-launch info dump (i.e. Horizon, Resident Evil's, GT), all of which are now released. While PS5 itself has no problem moving units on Jim Ryan patented radio silence, it's the death knell for VR as it's way too niche, which is compounded by Sony's reputation for abandoning "second pillar" platforms and and peripherals. Having moved all their B-Teams and support studios to GaaS projects, it seems pretty clear they have nothing coming and will just let it die quietly in the background with only indie Quest ports to speak of.
It's "games only" approach compounds is 'niche'ness (totally a real word). Why not build any social aspects for some of their most enthusiastic users and fans? Even if it's PSVR2 exclusive social experiences, the ability to meet, share, and play with other PSVR2 users would do nothing but increase engagement.

Web browsing with an eye tracked mouse is too obvious to not be a thing. Watching movies on their high resolution HDR screens is too obvious to not be a thing. Sitting on a virtual beach with a flat screen game floating in front of your face is too obvious to not be a thing. Just dosen't make any sense.

Reallink

It's "games only" approach compounds is 'niche'ness (totally a real word). Why not build any social aspects for some of their most enthusiastic users and fans? Even if it's PSVR2 exclusive social experiences, the ability to meet, share, and play with other PSVR2 users would do nothing but increase engagement.

Web browsing with an eye tracked mouse is too obvious to not be a thing. Watching movies on their high resolution HDR screens is too obvious to not be a thing. Sitting on a virtual beach with a flat screen game floating in front of your face is too obvious to not be a thing. Just dosen't make any sense.

My personal suspicion is VR is a favored project for hardware Japan, and they kinda forced it's release over Jim Ryan and his Western crew's head. So Jimbo torpedoed it with a Playstation Direct only launch, no future outlook or roadmap whatsoever, and the most minimal support he could get away with.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

3 words

HALF.LIFE.ALYX
I doubt Valve would ever give that game away to another platform, they need to push their own headset. Perhaps if Valve themselves were more prolific in delivering games for their own headset.
Edit: Maybe I am mistaken. Is Half Life Alyx officially available on other headsets? Or is it playable with workarounds?

Last edited:
My personal suspicion is VR is a favored project for hardware Japan, and they kinda forced it's release over Jim Ryan and his Western crew's head. So Jimbo torpedoed it with a Playstation Direct only launch, no future outlook or roadmap whatsoever, and the most minimal support he could get away with.
A gigantic headset is a favored project in the country of tiny apartments and "smaller is better"? I find that unlikely. If anything, the Japanese are even more likely to straight up pass on VR, at least until it is something the size of a normal pair of glasses.

Three

I think people are recommending things that won't do anything.

Quest isn't doing well because of games support from Meta, it isn't successful because it's releasing a bunch of first party games. Most of the quest games come to PSVR2 already. PSVR2 has been getting a steady stream of multiplat games, it's getting exclusive RE4 Remake very very soon too with little fanfare. The wire isn't an issue just like it isn't for Valves headset or most other headsets. The issue is that the VR headset can only sell so much if it's tied to the PS5 demographic. Quest has a lot of buyers who don't need any other hardware. Not a PC or a PS. A lot of them might not even touch gaming specifically.

To increase interest in PSVR2 what they would need to do is branch out of the market it's for. Do PC drivers maybe, make a smaller standalone version for more casual non-gaming audiences, advertise more, and decrease price. They also need to improve it for the audience it is for by working on getting some of their existing library working with it.

Having said all that I think people are misunderstanding the current VR market. It consists mainly of third party games from which PSVR2 is getting good support and PS are unlikely to cut the cost for install base since they are not struggling to get third party support for it. We also barely ever get first party games support from any VR manufacturer and that's true for Valves Index, Quest or PSVR. I would say PSVR2s lineup of exclusives this year with GT7, RE Village, 4 remake, Switchback VR, Firewall Ultra.. is actually support that's above most headsets.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Having said all that I think people are misunderstanding the current VR market. It consists mainly of third party games from which PSVR2 is getting good support and PS are unlikely to cut the cost for install base since they are not struggling to get third party support for it. We also barely ever get first party games support from any VR manufacturer and that's true for Valves Index, Quest or PSVR. I would say PSVR2s lineup of exclusives this year with GT7, RE Village, 4 remake, Switchback VR, Firewall Ultra.. is actually support that's above most headsets.

But that’s the exact same situation as software in general on the PlayStation and Xbox. The vast majority of games there are third party games, but a lot of people buy these consoles for the standout first party lineup. It’s a worse situation in VR where the relatively low install base means that most games are firmly in AA or A territory. First party input is needed to fund the big, AAA experiences like Horizon COTM.

Sony’s also seemingly dialed back on the marketing, and it speaks volumes that there was no big holiday push.

Three

But that’s the exact same situation as software in general on the PlayStation and Xbox. The vast majority of games there are third party games, but a lot of people buy these consoles for the standout first party lineup. It’s a worse situation in VR where the relatively low install base means that most games are firmly in AA or A territory. First party input is needed to fund the big, AAA experiences like Horizon COTM.

Sony’s also seemingly dialed back on the marketing, and it speaks volumes that there was no big holiday push.
Not sure what point you're making here. My point is that with GT7, Horizon COTM, RE Village, Switchback VR, Firewall Ultra, and RE4 Remake all releasing this year quest still sold more and that the games support on PSVR2 isn't the issue. Another exclusive game to the list isn't going to make PSVR2 sell more headsets than the Quest. I'm saying it has better game support than most headsets but they need to branch out of the audience they have and go more broad like Quest if they want to sell more. I think they're perfectly happy selling the PSVR2 for profit and maintaining the third party support and multiplatform releases they have now too and aren't required to cut the cost to increase install base for multiplatform support.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Good bundles, good discounts, etc. helps.

But at the end of the day, it is always about software. And Sony needs to do a better job at PS VR 2 software. VR 2 not being compatible with VR 1 has already affected the library, but I understand it was necessary to move on.

Having said that, it has only been ~9 months since PS VR 2 launched, and the library has been shaping up nicely. Sony needs more "must-have" titles though.

Dozens of average games won't have the same effect as 1 or 2 "must-have" titles, like Gran Turismo 7, Beat Saber, and Resident Evil 4. Sony needs to ensure those types of big must-have titles keep releasing every quarter for PS VR 2.

Last edited:

Reallink

A gigantic headset is a favored project in the country of tiny apartments and "smaller is better"? I find that unlikely. If anything, the Japanese are even more likely to straight up pass on VR, at least until it is something the size of a normal pair of glasses.

I was referring to Sony's hardware engineers in Japan, not Japanese customers.

Called it a year ago.
To all people who gave me shit for it, some of whom are coping in this very thread:
stephen-colbert-i-told-you-so.gif

at least a price cut that puts it on the same level as a PS5 digital at max
cooperate with Valve to get Alyx, which is just a drop but still the landmark title nevertheless
also cooperate with Meta to get whatever games they make, of course Sony would need to offer their games in exchange, some one for one bargain, built together the VR market and only once it's healthy wall your garden (instead of both losing billions with that adventure)
make it open for PC use, maybe just sell a more expensive 3 game bundle which includes a PC key to unlock some required software on steam to run anything on it
port ALL PC games to PS5 that ever had an official or unofficial VR-mod, requires some dedicated port studio and a lot of new contracts with publishers (create some PS5 = one certain PC config layer to make any PC game run on PS5, which would also make upgrading some PS3 and 4 stuff obsolete and would also enable to offer PC streams instead of PS3 and 4 streams on that original hardware)
port every VR1 game for free, free for Plus Premium subscribers, or a small per game fee, incl some AI upscaled textures or whatever
require ALL PS5 games to at least offer a 3D cinema mode
all first party games should be VR-too games (which would make a shift towards at least optional first person view in several games probably more convenient and thus important)

PanzerCute

Maybe start by supporting and promoting the damn thing.

But the thing that would be a game changer is for Sony to make VR mods for all of their flat games. Some random dudes do that on PC in a matter of weeks, so it doesn't seem that complicated to do.

Imagine playing Returnal or Demon Souls with VR immersion, even with regular controls on the dualsense..

Actually release a 1st party game. It's practically criminal how Sony doesn't seem to care about this product
To be fair making VR games is even harder. That's why even AAA VR games are barely AA in 'normal' terms. With very few exceptions.
The best way I suppose will be converting existing titles to support VR.
I see a new wave of VR remakes of old games and that's awesome thing.

NT80

Bundle it with ever PS5 and hope to make money back with software sales. Only way I can see VR going mainstream is for it to ship with the hardware at $500 total.
But how is that financially feasible? Obviously it would be ideal to have it sold with PS5s to incentivize developers but it would end up being a vastly inferior piece of hardware in order to keep the costs down.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They have to improve the optics, lower the price, but most importantly, actually fully support it with Sony aaa games. I'm not seeing that so far.

Top Bottom